Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st Infantry Division

hmmmmm that's called torture.... crazy_o.gif

Awesome pics...! yay.gif  yay.gif

I was reading somewhere that since 1.09 beta patch it's possible to carry the Javelin launcher without the optics box, like on the pic above. But for me it doesn't work. The optics box stays mounted. Is the above Javelin a modded one?

PS. BTW, Cameron not only your products are very good, your marketing is very good aswell smile_o.gif

I was reading somewhere that since 1.09 beta patch it's possible to carry the Javelin launcher without the optics box, like on the pic above. But for me it doesn't work. The optics box stays mounted. Is the above Javelin a modded one?

PS. BTW, Cameron not only your products are very good, your marketing is very good aswell smile_o.gif

Check out the Javelins in AAW Steyr AmmoBox, I believe it was. I've been using it because the launcher unit wasn't attached when on my back. But shit, maybe it's been like that for all Jav's after 1.09beta and I didn't notice. biggrin_o.gif

I think its much more better to have snipers with helmets instead of boonie-hats. smile_o.gif

Indeed. It's not like snipers are impervious to headshots

Helmets are not impervious to headshots. Helmets stop shrapnel.

That's actually pretty wrong. It depends on the range and the round. I've been told by a couple of different friends in the army that the newer kevlars *will* stop a .50 at 300 yards, with rifle rounds being much closer. Of course, nothing stops a 7.62 to the face.

I think its much more better to have snipers with helmets instead of boonie-hats.  smile_o.gif

Helmets are not impervious to headshots.  Helmets stop shrapnel.

That's actually pretty wrong.  It depends on the range and the round.  I've been told by a couple of different friends in the army that the newer kevlars *will* stop a .50 at 300 yards, with rifle rounds being much closer.  Of course, nothing stops a 7.62 to the face.

Well, technically, its actually pretty right, considering impervious is an 'absolute' word (meaning that by saying that helmets are impervious to headshots you are saying that they cant be penetrated at any range).

Helmets CAN stop rounds at the right range but they are more designed for shrapnel and other dangers, as stated above. Helmet or no helmet wont make much difference unless the round is coming from a few hundred or more meters away.

Quote[/b] ]That's actually pretty wrong.  It depends on the range and the round.  I've been told by a couple of different friends in the army that the newer kevlars *will* stop a .50 at 300 yards, with rifle rounds being much closer.  Of course, nothing stops a 7.62 to the face.

You didn't reckoned with kynetic energy of flying .50 cal round. Soldier will get his spine broken even if he'll fantastically survive 12.7 Browning hit.

I didn't say it wouldn't hurt.  Just that they *do* stop bullets in the modern era.

Yeah, same case with the vests. They can stop some bullets, but they leave you bruised and sometimes with broken bones.

Alright alright people its not like the helmet help in game. Just can't wait to start getting screenshots and films of these guys NO MORE PASGT helms hurray!!!!

I think its much more better to have snipers with helmets instead of boonie-hats. smile_o.gif

Helmets are not impervious to headshots. Helmets stop shrapnel.

That's actually pretty wrong. It depends on the range and the round. I've been told by a couple of different friends in the army that the newer kevlars *will* stop a .50 at 300 yards, with rifle rounds being much closer. Of course, nothing stops a 7.62 to the face.

An ACH can not stop a .50 BMG from 300m.

Hell, a 5.56 SS109 bullet can pierce a PASGT (which was designed for fragmentation, but could still stop a 9mm with some degree of reliability) at 600M. A .50BMG has so much more kinetic energy it's ridiculous.

Hell, not even the SAPI plates used in the IBA can stop a .50 at that range.

The ACH helmets being issued are layered Spectra, and most are somewhere around the NIJ IIIA level of ballistic protection (I don't think they actually NIJ test the issue helmets though). IIIA will stop a 9mm at 1440FPS, .44, and various other pistol rounds, but rifle rounds will sail right through it. At 300-500m or so it might have a chance of deflecting a rifle round (7.62x39) if it hit at the right angle, but it's still not reliable protection from that threat.

Mainly, soft armor, the vests themselves, will stop handgun and fragmentation threats, the SAPIs which go in pockets on the vests (plates that cover a rectangle about 10"x12" on your chest and back) will protect against threats up to 7.62, some SAPIs can even stop .30AP fired from a rifle.

I've heard someone pitching a pair of sunglasses to my friend telling him he has a .50 at home, and he shot a pair of the very same glasses with it and the sunglasses stopped it without a scratch. Take a look at the actual specs of the helmets, it lists the threats they're able to stop, .50 is just way too high a kinetic energy at very far ranges. It's just not possible to stop much above 7.62 right now with current technology in personal armor, to stop greater threats you need to go to armored vehicles just because of the weight required for them.

That being said, helmets are issued, and intended to be used. You see boonies on the range, and sometimes in the field when it's an SF operator that isn't expecting heavy combat or such. But, especially the type of combat this game is designed for, any real soldier you see involved in a similar scenario in real life is going to be wearing his helmet. Hell, even mortar men wear them nowhere near the front lines.

Alright alright people its not like the helmet help in game. Just can't wait to start getting screenshots and films of these guys NO MORE PASGT helms hurray!!!!

It does. It can deflect rounds, at least the SLA helmet. If you hit it at the right angle it has a chance of deflecting a round. I've seen it happen.

I've never heard of a new vest stopping a .50 @300m. The kinetic energy thing is a bit prohibitive. The KE from that type of round is massive. Maybe dragonskin, but I still don't think that's able to stop one neither.

I heard dragonskin can stop a 14,5 mm KPVT round.

But i think the person would be dead or something.

The kinetic energy is to much.

Given that the armour penetration of 14.5mm standard AP ammo is approx 25mm of steel at 500 metres, I doubt that dragonskin, or indeed any body armour, could survive a hit (flukes withstanding). Hell, afaik 14.5mm can even go through Stryker armour. /end Offtopic

These pics just keep looking better and better. I don't care how long it takes to finish the mod, it will be so damn worth it in the end...

Nor can a 2-inch solid steel plate

These units are looking great, I can't wait to get them ingame. Keep up the great work!

Excellent screenshots NSXr

Nor can a 2-inch solid steel plate

Even if it did, the energy would snap ones neck in half.... People seem to be under impression that all this armour is 'uber leet' and that a soldier can take a few rounds get back up and stick it to the man. Even if a soldier is hit with a 5.56 and his vest stops it. The poor chap is going to be winded and will need to see a medic. nine times out of ten the guy is going to have cracked ribs at the very least. The armour is designed to save lives not make a soldier indestructable.

Yup, very true. I was amazed when I was in the Army, how many soldiers thought that their body armor (at the time PASGT vests and PASGT helmets) could stop bullets. I always had to show them the tag inside the vest which clearly states that it does not stop bullets (at least nothing above 9mm and even their its iffy depending on the age and condition of the vest). As for the helmets our 1st Sgt. put to rest the idea that they're rifle-bullet proof when we put out a PASGT helmet out on the firing range. A 5.56mm steel core round from a M16A2 sailed clear through the helmet at 200 meters with the force knocking it off the wooden post we put it on. I've heard of US Marines doing a smiliar test out to 500 meters and having the same results. The new generation of helmets do offer slightly better ballistics protection as well as lighter weight, however they likewise are definitely not proof against rifle rounds other then deflection properties at longer ranges or just pure luck. The only thing rifle proof out today are the ceramic or steel inserts used to upgrade the armor level of body armor with plate insert pockets. Then you have the revolutionary dragon skin body armor which is perhaps the biggest improvement in body armor. What I am hoping is that they begin to sell helmets made from dragon skin type material.

At any rate, currently the main purpose of the helmet is to protect against shrapnel and blunt force trauma injuries. Likewise, aside from the inserts, body armor vests are mainly designed to protect against shrapnel.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hooray for ceramic plates.

He is not doing SOF at this time.