Sign in to follow this  
celoush

Armed Assault videos

Curious, still doesn't work with Dvix v6.4... Never mind... sad_o.gif

I'll wait my copy from Morphicon in about two weeks to enjoy.

Grab the VLC player, I finally did today and the morphicon vids work fine in it.

Interesting vid the airstrike one, shame about the random "radio chatter" would be nice if it could at least semi-match what the aircraft is doing. confused_o.gif

Yeah that's what I thought. I couldn't work out what the hell was going on lol. Pretty clear that BIS just chose some random military radio-chatter

The building destruction worked out even better than i ever thought it would, i never expected all of those buildings to colapse, the waiting period is becoming a real torture sad_o.gif .

I feel your pain... But not for long. biggrin_o.gif

Your name is on the list buddy pistols.gif .

Its ok, im not that old biggrin_o.gif .

Watched these vids again, Air2 especially.  If I get ingame with VOIP and someone calls in an airstrike like that one, my family will think I'm crazy as I'm hollering "WooooHoooo!!!"  or 'HOLY $@!*#!!!"  Depending on who called the strike.  This is going to be one huge thrill ride.   notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif

@ Heatseeker: You old enough to remember the F-15 coming into service? lol (I'm not ready for a cane or anything, but the wrinkles have started) tounge2.gif

Heheh, that radio chatter was definantly random.  I don't think he was flying at "Angels 8." tounge2.gif

Artillery is pretty darn weak, too.  Your ears would be bleeding if you were so close to a hit. Not to mention all the people so close they should be dead.

Awsome Videos and as always nice work BIS smile_o.gif

However I cant help it but "just a little bit" point out something that bugs me, so here it goes:

Umm Please correct me if I am wrong but I dont think that LGBs can be employed like this, first it shouldnt be lunched in salvos like this and second it is supposed to be a laser designated target (( i.e just one building )) and the plane should be at a higher altitude so that it can keep laser pointing at the target, and also the crew would most of the time have to circle the target while the bomb is still in mid air again just to keep the laser pointed at the target.

Ok before you go flaming me I will say I am very happy with the air strike model as it is, it is just that it seems to me that thats an unguided bombing run, so the solution would simply be replacing the LGB bombs models with Mk82s without changing anything else.

"go hide behind a big rock"

However I cant help it but "just a little bit" point out something that bugs me, so here it goes:

Umm Please correct me if I am wrong but I dont think that LGBs can be employed like this, first it shouldnt be lunched in salvos like this and second it is supposed to be a laser designated target (( i.e just one building )) and the plane should be at a higher altitude so that it can keep laser pointing at the target, and also the crew would most of the time have to circle the target while the bomb is still in mid air again just to keep the laser pointed at the target.

Ok before you go flaming me I will say I am very happy with the air strike model as it is, it is just that it seems to me that thats an unguided bombing run, so the solution would simply be replacing the LGB bombs models with Mk82s without changing anything else.

Perhaps the bombs were actually JDAMs and therefore the aircraft would not have to keep any laser pointed at the target.

Bombs usually aren't employed that way I guess, but it was only a demonstration. A good question might be, " Could I target single houses with precision if I wanted to?"

The bombs which the ArmA Harrier is equipped with are definitely LGBs, you can see the attachment on the front which detects the laser spot, so I agree with Barely-injured that the way they are employed in that video is pretty unrealistic. Perhaps they just drop them even if there isnt a laser spot, like you can do with OFP LGBs? Hmmm but AI never drops LGBs in OFP unless they have a laser spot huh.gif

Either way, I guess it's not a big deal, just another realism issue which BIS haven't deemed important enough to implement in the game...

Perhaps the bombs were actually JDAMs and therefore the aircraft would not have to keep any laser pointed at the target.  

Bombs usually aren't employed that way I guess, but it was only a demonstration.  A good question might be, " Could I target single houses with precision if I wanted to?"

Yes with a laser target you can be very accurate in OFP, so I cant see it being any different in AmrA. Even with a bit of practice you can drop LGB's manually on a small target without any laser target.

The bombs which the ArmA Harrier is equipped with are definitely LGBs, you can see the attachment on the front which detects the laser spot, so I agree with Barely-injured that the way they are employed in that video is pretty unrealistic. Perhaps they just drop them even if there isnt a laser spot, like you can do with OFP LGBs? Hmmm but AI never drops LGBs in OFP unless they have a laser spot  huh.gif

Either way, I guess it's not a big deal, just another realism issue which BIS haven't deemed important enough to implement in the game...

Hmmm, you're right. Still using LGB's, eh? How 20th century.

The physics of it sounds kind of tricky. You'd have to line up precisely for an attack run on the target and the harrier's computer would tell you when to release the bomb? Maybe bad weather could make it harder too.

Actually, that sounds kind of cool if it were simulated in a game, even if a little too difficult for the casual gamer.

Does anyone know of any flight sims that accurately simulate this?

Dropping dumb bombs in modern warplanes uses a pipper to tell the pilot where the bomb would fall if he released at that exact moment. The calculations of this arc are easy to make. When a laser target is employed, the computer on board the bomb aquires the laser target and then the bomb seeks it, like a missile. There is no interconnection with the aircraft. Correct me if I'm wrong, but much of the airtime that missiles have is unpowered at the edges of their ranges anyways. Laser Guided Bombs follow the same principle, only they are never powered. I believe that with the wings they deploy, there is much they can do with the energy they already have from the aircraft. The catch is that they have to be allowed to freefall a little while before they aquire a laser target, so the pilot (or other operator of an external laser) must wait for the proper moment to activate the designator.

edit: Reading up on it (as you guys probably should have done), it looks like if certain kinds of laser guided bombs are released and they don't find a laser target, they will attempt to stay as level as they can and prolong their flight as much as possible. This would hopefully guarantee that the bomb doesn't fall short and hit friendly targets. I read nothing about being able to use laser guided bombs as general purpose bombs. I guess they wouldn't actually fit laser guided bombs to an aircraft without a laser wink_o.gif . That said, when the pilot releases the payload is up to his discretion.

Grab the VLC player, I finally did today and the morphicon vids work fine in it.

Thanks, indeed, I have been able to read the Artillery and Airstrike videos with VLC just installed.

Cool...

It's pretty good even if we don't have some pieces of building destroyed still stand up like ruins to keep close to the reality. I would have enjoyed to see some fire and the smoke remaining longer...

It's a pity that we have no trace of the destroyed building after the airstrike effects completed, but we can easily understand that it might have been difficult to realise this on a performance point of view on a so huge map. Maybe we'll get it later on in a mod...

I enjoyed watching those vids of the airstrike and artillery. However I am a bit concerned with what I saw regards the artillery,  (ex artilleryman wink_o.gif )

The blast radius of those shells falling on the road next to the patrolling units was too short, it needs to be much bigger IMO,  those american units would of been cut to ribbons (artillere 5 clip) or at least caught some of the flying shrapnel, considering how close they were to the impact... crazy_o.gif

I enjoyed watching those vids of the airstrike and artillery. However I am a bit concerned with what I saw regards the artillery, (ex artilleryman wink_o.gif )

The blast radius of those shells falling on the road next to the patrolling units was too short, it needs to be much bigger IMO, those american units would of been cut to ribbons (artillere 5 clip) or at least caught some of the flying shrapnel, considering how close they were to the impact... crazy_o.gif

Couldnt agree more.

Pretty clear that BIS just chose some random military radio-chatter

Umm pretty clear to me that whoever made the videos for Morphicon downloaded some random RL aircraft chatter and merged it with the video footage wink_o.gif

Any more aircraft videos ? I'm looking forward to see someone flying one... smile_o.gif

Pretty clear that BIS just chose some random military radio-chatter

Umm pretty clear to me that whoever made the videos for Morphicon downloaded some random RL aircraft chatter and merged it with the video footage wink_o.gif

sad_o.gif No real surprise here, but still... I sooo hopped these voices were ingame

Man I was hoping that radio chatter was in-game. It added so much to the overall ambience, I was drooling last night when I watched those.....

Placebo, I vote that radio chatter be included in game for air strikes before the english version is released.

Who's with me ? Lets take a vote yay.gif