Sign in to follow this  
celoush

Armed Assault videos

while the AI guys had all went into cover behind some barrels and tents.

Tent is the best cover against frag grenade tounge2.gif

Especially if one foot is peaking out behind the minitent and you always wanted to test if Arma material penetration works biggrin_o.gif

They killed me though tounge2.gif

- smoke grenades are ok ! that vids clearly shows that they'll do their job on battlefield.

How do you know? In the video (thx Forrestal) there is no way to tell if the smoke is effective against AI (i.e. blocking AI's LOS).

To me the smoke grenade effects (as well as the laser beam like tracers) looks suspiciously similar to what we have in OFP:R with little/no improvements. IMHO the smoke grenades and tracers isn't on par with the other new graphics at all. Maybe they still are WIP and will be improved in future patches?

Graphics aside, I do hope the smoke blocks the AI LOS effectivly this time around! Can anyone confirm/deny thats the case by trying the smoke grenades against some AI?

/KC

Yeah I want to know that too.

We already know the grass provides no concealment, let's hope the smoke does.

Test it with the knowsabout command.

I'm not very impressed with the radio comms I've heard confused_o.gif

Like... "EngageTHAT..Man"

I much prefered OFP's radio comms, it sounded more realistic and not so artificial.

Have to agree with you on that one, the "THAT" in the comms is what makes it sound so poo.

Will have to mod the calls to take the "that" out of em, as they really bake my noodle in OFP:E

Also - the reload sound in the M24 vid REALLY reminds me of Perfect Dark on the N64. A lot of the sounds are great, but there is still room for improvement...

We already know the grass provides no concealment

Ohh no don't say this, that was my second "fear" confused_o.gif

If it's low grass I can understand but in high grass you should be concealed. Lets hope BIS have it on their "to-do" list! I mean OFP needed quite a few patches before it shaped up to be what it is today - the best FPS so far!

I know we are an impatience bunch of guys/gals looking high and low for answers since the Czech release last friday but one thing I don't get... Why do we need to work so hard to just find small bits and pieces of official info about ArmA's features?

When OFP was released there was lenghty web-page/s describing every (almost) feature, every weapon, vehicle etc. was listed, also thoose features and weapons/vehicles that was planned to be added later on with patches. Maybe this is the publishers job and not really the dev's but none of the publishers seems to offer it?

Why are we left to have to dissect every user made videos/pics (and most likely come up with some wrong conclusions) instead of a proper and lenghty official product description?

/KC

PS: Sorry for venting, hope I don't cross any unseen boundaries  tounge2.gif

We already know the grass provides no concealment

Ohh no don't say this, that was my second "fear" confused_o.gif

If it's low grass I can understand but in high grass you should be concealed. Lets hope BIS have it on their "to-do" list! I mean OFP needed quite a few patches before it shaped up to be what it is today - the best FPS so far!

I know we are an impatience bunch of guys/gals looking high and low for answers since the Czech release last friday but one thing I don't get... Why do we need to work so hard to just find small bits and pieces of official info about ArmA's features?

When OFP was released there was lenghty web-page/s describing every (almost) feature, every weapon, vehicle etc. was listed, also thoose features and weapons/vehicles that was planned to be added later on with patches. Maybe this is the publishers job and not really the dev's but none of the publishers seems to offer it?

Why are we left to have to dissect every user made videos/pics (and most likely come up with some wrong conclusions) instead of a proper and lenghty official product description?

/KC

PS: Sorry for venting, hope I don't cross any unseen boundaries  tounge2.gif

I think it has already been announced that BIS made some sort of work around solution for the grass concealment problem. I don't know how it works though.

Thanks Shadak for all your vids!

It's nice to know that boat engines are now off by default!  smile_o.gif

When dealing with grass concealment, I would suggest going the same route as Hidden and Dangerous II and Thief I/II/III have gone with concealment from AI.

Make certain patches of terrain have an extra value associated with them that takes a chunk of your statistical "maybe get spotted by AI" and/or reduces your "visibility radius".

Of course the change from standard could be different for each stance/speed. (-5% standing, -30% crouched, -60% prone) (moving -5%, still -10%). That kinda thing.

As far as PvP grass concealment, if it's not rendered at range then you have to do trickier things, like "half color" the model of the person in grass to match the terrain to model the soldier being partially obscured.

Hi Shadak! I really love your videos!

I would like to post a simple request. It shouldn't be too hard to do biggrin_o.gif

I wonder if you could give us a short video showing the M203 (Or grenadelauncher for you guys who dont know weapons tounge2.gif ) being reloaded..

Hi Shadak! I really love your videos!

I would like to post a simple request. It shouldn't be too hard to do biggrin_o.gif

I wonder if you could give us a short video showing the M203 (Or grenadelauncher for you guys who dont know weapons tounge2.gif ) being reloaded..

Thanks smile_o.gif But I dont really have time making decent stuff...

here's the reloading then. looks wierd though.

http://mega-file.net/file.php?file=815b542f31b909583bbc57c9ce700191

It's hard to call it reloading animation at all. From third person perspective its not a problem for me but i must admit that i was very disappointed when i saw m24 fpp reloading ( waving left hand around the rifle) on Forrestal's movie. Camon it's almost 2007 crazy_o.gif

bah!

looks like ill be hanged and banned..

ps- before that i though german version would have it. goodnight.gif

dont worry we get another couple of months of developement, never know what will happen

FRAPS is for recording video.

Are you having trouble PLAYING the videos?

You could always try downloading DivX (search google).

Uhm... if you want to play the videos, just download FRAPS. Trust me. If you don't want to trust me, trust the other 5 people who are telling you to download FRAPS 2.8. Once you've downloaded fraps, try opening them in WMP.

Does FRAPS add any sort of codecs?

I always thought the purpose of FRAPS was to record video, and not play it. I could have misunderstood the question, though.

On a side note - I have just finished ordering the Czech version of ArmA (I just couldn't wait), for a grand total of $89.00 CDN. I just couldn't wait notworthy.gif !

So, if anybody has some early requests (I'll be sure to write them down) I'll try and capture a few videos when it arrives.

FRAPS is for recording video.

Are you having trouble PLAYING the videos?

You could always try downloading DivX (search google).

Uhm... if you want to play the videos, just download FRAPS. Trust me. If you don't want to trust me, trust the other 5 people who are telling you to download FRAPS 2.8. Once you've downloaded fraps, try opening them in WMP.

I downloaded FRAPS 2.8 and it still does not work in WMP. Any suggestions?

I always thought the purpose of FRAPS was to record video, and not play it. I could have misunderstood the question, though.

On a side note - I have just finished ordering the Czech version of ArmA (I just couldn't wait), for a grand total of $89.00 CDN. I just couldn't wait notworthy.gif !

So, if anybody has some early requests (I'll be sure to write them down) I'll try and capture a few videos when it arrives.

Try to get some overhead cam action footage of ALOT of AI fighting it out in different environments.

It must. I had fraps 2.7. I couldn't play the uTw videos. I installed fraps 2.8, and I can.

It must. I had fraps 2.7. I couldn't play the uTw videos. I installed fraps 2.8, and I can.

Installing the lastest FRAPS didn't help me, vids still didn't play in WMP, or WNP classic. They worked in DIVX player though. Anyone who leaves a video encoded with the FRAPS codec should be shot, it's uncompressed video and should be recompressed into another format. Why on Earth would anyone be so stupid?

Well no wonder some of the videos wouldn't play for me, I downloaded one from another site and there file is corrupt also far smaller in size then it should be.

armaruine1.avi from http://armed-assault.net/ is corrupt.

Also that armaruine1.avi video of 261MB is really silly posting videos in RAW Fraps format, they could have easily used good quality Xvid or WMV for a far smaller size. 261MB for only 28 seconds is a waste of bandwidth.

From page 33.

Could we get back to videos of ArmA now? I mean, umpteen pages of that friggin' FRAPS thing is getting on my nerves.

I really want to see a large infantry battle, maybe one in a city and one in an open area... A few hundred men, on each side biggrin_o.gif