Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

In Fork122's post, in the first pic, is that a Mechen NTW 20 from South Africa that that guy is holding?

I'll answer my own question. wink_o.gif

Not sure, it looks to small to be one of those...

I'd be more inclined to say it was some form of M82 Barret, seeing as its all US Army equipment and all...

so here we go again, "BIS plan to conquer the world" rofl.gif

Naaa, just the virtual world... with AI butterflies by the looks of it.

Quote[/b] ]Why else would he spend time coding AI for butterflies, dogs, birds and other animals
rofl.gif

I bet he has a lot of fun developing all the killer bees and stuff... whistle.gif

In Fork122's post, in the first pic, is that a Mechen NTW 20 from South Africa that that guy is holding?

I'll answer my own question.  wink_o.gif

Not sure, it looks to small to be one of those...

I'd be more inclined to say it was some form of M82 Barret, seeing as its all US Army equipment and all...

Yes, it looks a little like that doesn't it... wink_o.gif

But in reality, BIS are developers, and they are there to make money.

Actually, from what I have seen of interviews and from personal conversations with artists at BIS, Marek is more interested in making his dream come true than making a fast and easy buck.

couldn't agree more.

Actually, from what I have seen of interviews and from personal conversations with artists at BIS, Marek is more interested in making his dream come true than making a fast and easy buck.

Please, don't be naive. As well, why can't he make money? Why is it that we are set on having him as an angel who does it for the "greater good" Please, he does this for money as much as his dream and, what's wrong with that?

Thats why he coded Posideon, thats why he started OFP, and thats why he continues to push his engines. Why else would he spend time coding AI for butterflies, dogs, birds and other animals when they could be scripted like they are in every other game which features them? Why is he trying to get the dynamic conversation system working, rather than using a few dozen pre-recorded conversations? [like Oblivion]

On the animals, it's because it will be a good selling poiunt. On the dynamic conversation system, I assume this is for Game 2. Well, I would bet that it wont be finished in time...features are dropped in games plenty of times

Its because he's more interested in pushing both his own limits and the limits of the technology. If he [and his brother] were interested in making money, we would have seen more "expansion packs" like Resistance, and the developer tools would not have been released until 3 or 4 years after the games initial release. Much like EA works.

Yeah because EA is the evil mainstream corporations out to kill our mothers and eat our babies! boooo!!!! DONT BUY FROM EA. As well, I would think that he knows how to make money in this business more than you so I will trust that his choice on not releasing expansion packs was for the better (in money making)

$0.02 worth of troll food has unfortunately been delivered...

Yeah except trolling is flaming and insulting, where have I insulted anyone?

Oh, and

As well, negativity, or as I say realism, is not against the rules.

If thats the case, how come you have those 3 pretty boxes under your name? wink_o.gif

Because those were for flaming people, not for negativity

im sorry guys but i have to ask this:

Ukraineboy whats wrong? Is there a reason for you to act like ...

... like the way you act? why? when? where? who? how?

Where to start.. where to start...

Please, don't be naive. As well, why can't he make money? Why is it that we are set on having him as an angel who does it for the "greater good" Please, he does this for money as much as his dream and, what's wrong with that?

Oh, I'm not saying he isn't out to make money, that would be ridiculous. What I'm saying is that he is not driving BIS along the recognised franchise route. I.e. take a popular title, and continually expand it.

Yes, I use "evil" EA as an example, because they are a perfect example.

BattleField for example. BF1942 was popular, so they made BF Vietnam, since that was what was popular at the time. Same gameplay mechanics, same roles, same everything bar content. Then they released BF2, that was popular because people knew BF1942 and BF 'Nam. Then they started expanding BF2. First you had Special Forces which added a few new sides and handful of weapons and maps. Then there was Euro Forces, which was essentially a re-skin job, and again with Armored Fury both of which adding very little content to the game and fragmenting the community. However, every release earned EA money as players in their 1000's bought up all these addon packs. And now they have the xbox port of BF2 - "BF:Modern Combat" and are working on BF2142...

BIS/Codemasters could quite easily have gone this route. Infact they did. There was Resistance. But unlike other companies, thats where they stopped. It could have been quite easy for them to keep on selling addons, but instead they introduced everything other than Res for FREE. Thats right, F-R-E-E, when pretty much all of OFP's competitors are charging for extra content. Doesnt seem like the actions of a man out to make a fast buck to me...

Thats why he coded Posideon, thats why he started OFP, and thats why he continues to push his engines. Why else would he spend time coding AI for butterflies, dogs, birds and other animals when they could be scripted like they are in every other game which features them? Why is he trying to get the dynamic conversation system working, rather than using a few dozen pre-recorded conversations? [like Oblivion]
On the animals, it's because it will be a good selling poiunt. On the dynamic conversation system, I assume this is for Game 2. Well, I would bet that it wont be finished in time...features are dropped in games plenty of times

Animals as a selling point? No, IMMERSION is the selling point, and that can be achieved with scripted animals. Using BF2 as an example, it has scripted birds - birds which fly away when you run near "them" (actually just a spawn point) and they have flies - a pixel shader which just randomly buzzes flies around the player. Which actually works, and it works quite nicely. But Mr. Spanel wants more than that, he wants his animals to act like real animals, to have real life cycles and to react properly to human interaction [like firing rifles] something which adds to the immersion way more than a flock of scripted birds could.

Its because he's more interested in pushing both his own limits and the limits of the technology. If he [and his brother] were interested in making money, we would have seen more "expansion packs" like Resistance, and the developer tools would not have been released until 3 or 4 years after the games initial release. Much like EA works.

Yeah because EA is the evil mainstream corporations out to kill our mothers and eat our babies! boooo!!!! DONT BUY FROM EA. As well, I would think that he knows how to make money in this business more than you so I will trust that his choice on not releasing expansion packs was for the better (in money making)

Like it or not, thats how EA works. Its the truth, and nothing can be done about it. If you fear their desire to kill your mother and eat babies, then I can only assume that our good friend old-Soviet-Propaganda is at work. They are a corporation and they are out to make money. They do that buy running a franchise until no one is interested in it anymore. This can be seen in any numbe of their titles - the BF series, the NFL, NBA, NFS and any number of other franchises which have seen luke-warm reheats of old engines and the tinyist of updates to content year after year.

As for my knowledge of the industry, I don't pretend to know anything about you, please do not pretend you know anything about me. The industry standard formula for making money is to take a popular franchise (and lets not forget that OFP is a million seller) and run with (bi)annual updates until death. That could have easily been the case with OFP, lord knows that Codemasters is just as guilty of this annual update plague as EA.

Another $0.02 worth of troll food has been delivered... confused_o.gif

They are a corporation and they are out to make money.

And there you have it, you proved my point with BIS as well. They are a developer, and they are out to make money. What's wrong with that?

Also, your comment about me being a troll could technically be against the rules, i.e. insulting...I have not called you anything yet, yet you continue to call me a troll? What kind of debate do you insult your opposition? Poor form.

Guest Ti0n3r

Hmm let's put it this way; BIS is a corporation that wants to make money. And they realize that the best way to make money is to create the best games ever wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Why else would he spend time coding AI for butterflies, dogs, birds and other animals when they could be scripted like they are in every other game which features them?

Because BIS can't afford to buy insanely expensive engine licenses that would only fit 20% of their need? wink_o.gif

I agree on pretty much everything else you said though.

Quote[/b] ]People think BIS is somehow different because "Oh they made realistic game [not really] thus they are cooler and superior then those RARRR MAINSTREAM DEVELOPERS RARR".

Or may it be that people mean BIS is a better developer than most others because of the support they give to their game? None, or at least very few, of the games produced by mainstream developer get good support from their developers. They may get a patch now and then, but BIS continued to support their game long after any other developer would. BIS gives the community programs to create new content for the game, while most other games get a crappy editor that's worth shit.

Oh, and tell me this. BIS is just out to make money, right? How come they released a patch which enables the game to be played without the CD? That's not very smart if they just want money, right? After that people didn't have to buy the game anymore, just borrow a copy of the game and install the patch. If they were just out to make money, wouldn't it be smart to not do this, so people would have at least a bit harder time getting the game for free, as this would probably make them earn some extra money?

They are a corporation and they are out to make money.

And there you have it, you proved my point with BIS as well. They are a developer, and they are out to make money. What's wrong with that?

You're not reading my posts... Or you're only reading the parts you want to see. I've said over and over that there is nothing wrong with that. But in the bigger picture, BI is NOT making games with the sole intent of making money. They are making games in order to realise Marek and Ondrej's dreams. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Because BIS can't afford to buy insanely expensive engine licenses that would only fit 20% of their need?

I don't think they NEED those "insanely expensive engine licenses" The Real Virtuality engine is possibly one of the most powerful out there, and it makes much more sense for BI to use an engine that they wrote themselves and are therefore familiar with its intracacies.

ehmmmm UkraineBoy,

BI could buy a DEV license for nearly anything on the market. I don't know what you know, but Marek could afford a Unreal Enterprise License 10 times over dude.

Or they stick with what they own already and take that to the next level. And that's well past the Unreal or Crye engine as you would know if you would have been at ITEC in London and if you've seen the VBS2 presentation that will use the Game2 version of the Real Virtuality Engine...(afaik)

Thats how engines work,some people just work on it till they get somethin better,nothin wrong with working on your own stuff to get it to work better or as far as you can or want it to.

As for the money,yes BISwants to make a buck,but that is not their priority,thats how it goes,they spend alot of time to create this game for you,it wouldn't be sensible to hand out free copies of the final product to everyone. A kind thing yes but foolish as well,money is needed for business to work,without money there is no business,the tradeoff.

But at the same time money is not their sole intent.

Also, your comment about me being a troll could technically be against the rules, i.e. insulting...I have not called you anything yet, yet you continue to call me a troll? What kind of debate do you insult your opposition? Poor form.

Ukraineboy, consider this a warning. You are lucky that we have not banned you and if you keep trolling, you will be booted.

Finally! A moderator. Now lets all get back on track: The topic is "ArmA Progress Updates". Anybody know of any updates?

Finally!  A moderator.  Now lets all get back on track:  The topic is "ArmA Progress Updates".  Anybody know of any updates?

nope... but I don't think it is going to be release in Q3..... oh well icon_rolleyes.gif

nope... but I don't think it is going to be release in Q3..... oh well icon_rolleyes.gif

we have 1 more month to confirm that..

Would be a bit short time from the announcement of the exact release date and to the actual date if it's going to be a Q3 release I think. More likely to be a H1 2007 release. But I can live with it. OFP still deliver what I want tounge2.gif

God damn this thread is lame. There's no ArmA progress to speak of, and we're all turning into cannibals. The mods should trash this thread and start anew!

God damn this thread is lame. There's no ArmA progress to speak of, and we're all turning into cannibals. The mods should trash this thread and start anew!

Quoted for truth wink_o.gif

Or....

Give use the beta version demo with a editor and we will make our own campains. Then we got something to do, and in the mean time they can work on perfection.

(Is there a press demo ?)

But serieus. I got the game from the very beginning, with all the expansion packs. Now a day, my resitence cd is going crapy.

I had to download a illegal one, in order to install it on my new pc. (I also got the original)

I have been tracking the upgrade sinds the released in some press message that there will be a second release. But alway that empty flashpoint2 website. Remeber release date end of 2002 sad_o.gif

5 Years is a long, long time to be waiting for a game. Expections are ultra high, and now a days we all get horny when there is a pic or a video of what is to become.

Release dates had been published and ..... (I woun'd go there)

In other words, I am getting serieus frustated (Like a lot of gents here) and the current release data (end will be reach in one mounth) can no longer be taken serieus. (Publisher wants to advertise for there upcomming games, and that will take 2 to 3 mounth to plan and execute)

So gents, set you minds for a release data of end 2007, that way you are supprised if it comes sooner. (November, December maby ?)

Just my frustated two cents.