Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

Armed Assault system specs info now in the wiki.

System Specs

Hoz

Those specs have me worried, will ArmA allow users who have specs higher than the "recommended" settings, to employ unlimited amounts of units on screen? I really don't want 64 groups per side, GOD NO!!!!!!

BIS if there is one thing you must do, that is get rid of the group limit or at least let the user set it. I do not mind upgrading to 2Gb of RAM and an ATI X1900 if it means I can have 1000,2000,5000 units moving around at once.

Yes, I know not everyone can afford the hardware, but for those why can, why hold them back?

Think big, ffs biggrin_o.gif

System Specs

Hoz

Those specs have me worried, will ArmA allow users who have specs higher than the "recommended" settings, to employ unlimited amounts of units on screen? I really don't want 64 groups per side, GOD NO!!!!!!

BIS if there is one thing you must do, that is get rid of the group limit or at least let the user set it. I do not mind upgrading to 2Gb of RAM and an ATI X1900 if it means I can have 1000,2000,5000 units moving around at once.

Yes, I know not everyone can afford the hardware, but for those why can, why hold them back?

no no no no~ you should go to IBM or the USAF to ask them if they have the will to borrow one of their super computer to you rofl.gif

I've not been very good at working out what 2ghz/3ghz actually means since AMD diverged from Intel and measured their processors in terms other than raw clock speed. Exactly what AMD models would fall into the 3ghz category and which below?

AMD 2800 (for example) is equivalent in performance to an Intel 2.8ghz CPU, the new AMD numbering system is a comparison with Intel clock speeds.

Thanks Placebo. I must admit I knew that's what was orginally intended by the numbering, I didn't think it still held true. At least my laptop will _just_ about reach the recommened spec imho

Looks fair enough, though I hope minimum specs aren't for slideshow quality like in most todays games confused_o.gif. Hopefully ArmA uses memory wisely so that 1Gb is really enough for smooth gameplay.

System Specs

Hoz

I think that the limitations have been risen due to the fact that we have streaming technology. Cant wait for the zombie mod pistols.gif

I'm very suprised to be EXACTLY at the "recommended" specs. I still have my doubts about performance at these specs., but we'll see.

Lighter than I expected but you never know what scenario they're basing these recommendations off of. It may be a simple mission with a few units and no scripting leaving you dead in the water for missions with heavy numbers and/or scripting.

I hope no one spends money upgrading hardware before AA is actually released and tested. I watched a lot of people do that for GR:AW - they found out the hard way that their mild upgrades weren't enough for what turned out to be (IMO) a mediocre game. Waiting makes sense anyway - everything's cheaper later on.

Thanks for updating the wiki smile_o.gif

@Sniper Pilot

Quote[/b] ]yeah subject to change ring a bell?

Quote[/b] ]Disclaimer: Preliminary information

This page describes a product which is not yet released, and therefore it contains information which may change significantly.

But still, it sounds like the game is nearing completion yay.gif

I would actually think that if the system specs get changed, it is lowered while they tune in the engine more and more, and optimise the code.

System Specs

Hoz

no no no no~ you should go to IBM or the USAF to ask them if they have the will to borrow one of their super computer to you rofl.gif

That might be a good idea - run it on a server farm tounge2.gif

BIS should be thinking ahead and not restricting us to the limits of today's technology. Let the user worry about the number of polys and groups moving round the screen!!

the original OFP was released when I had an Athlon 700Mhz job, it's only now that I can have full view distance and 1024x 768 resolution. I realise 1000 groups or so will make my current machine chug along but in 5 years when I have a new box... I doubt it.

And, what is the point of a 400km2 island if you can't fill it?

I would actually think that if the system specs get changed, it is lowered while they tune in the engine more and more, and optimise the code.

Very good point! smile_o.gif

wey nice to know i can do the required specs smile_o.gif

haha yeah would be fun to see how zombie mod could be in arma with all the new possibilities biggrin_o.gif

It is tough to grade specs with the way things are.

Over 2gig is a easy calculation,but the 3gig boundry is hard to judge.For example I was just working on a AMD Sempron 3400+ thinking it may be faster than my PIV 3.0 gig Prescott.

PIV 3.0 gig Prescott is about twice faster than a Sempron 3400+,The Sempron wasn't able to play the latest games without tweaking things down.

No worries now,I purchased AMD X2 4200+ and its definately faster than the PIV 3.0 gig.I wanted more but that'll do.

BTW beware of AMD Sempron,its the Celeron of AMD and only good for web browsing and such.

Sweet. My rig surpasses recommended settings.(AMD4000, 2gb ram, 7800gt, will upgrade to DX10 compatible card as soon as released)

Nice (and sad for my bank account as it seems there is a lot to change in my computer with such high recommended specs crazy_o.gif ) to read the system requirement, at least i know what kind of hardware i will need to buy to get it running decently, and should not end with spending my money on what will not be able to get the game running other than in a slideshow state in medium details.

i hope BIS decide to release this year before Xmas ... for real NO DELAY PLEASE notworthy.gif

reason is simple ... EQ:QW delayed to 2007 , btw. Spore delayed to 2007 too, all next gen like Crysis 2007, UT2007 2007, STALKER 2007 etc.

so what's so far coming this year in FPS genre ?

BF2142 , HL2:EP2+P+TF2, FEAR:EP (FEAR MP will be released for free next week to boost PR chances of EP) and maybe HUXLEY ...

this FALL is ideal to reach maximum sales smile_o.gif

anyway don't kill me for wishes whistle.gif

Now, im a little lost here.

I have AMD64 3800+ x2... But each cpu is only 2 ghz i think... Would that be enough?

AMD once invented the 3800+ classification as being equivalent to an Intel CPU at 3.8 GHz, so I'd say that the 3800+ is well on par with the recommended requirement of 3 GHz.

Quote[/b] ]That might be a good idea - run it on a server farm tounge2.gif

BIS should be thinking ahead and not restricting us to the limits of today's technology. Let the user worry about the number of polys and groups moving round the screen!!

the original OFP was released when I had an Athlon 700Mhz job, it's only now that I can have full view distance and 1024x 768 resolution. I realise 1000 groups or so will make my current machine chug along but in 5 years when I have a new box... I doubt it.

And, what is the point of a 400km2 island if you can't fill it?

very true zombie_mod!

LOL Stalker is delayed, thats a given.

i guess thats based on good use of LOD levels and render culling (what You dont see not eats Your fps) , AI code optimizing, physics optimizing (e.g. not need to process that bridge colapsing behind hill smile_o.gif etc ...

and MHz measuring is very unclear ... for example Core2 Duo at 3.4GHz can process SuperPI calc faster than 7+ GHz P4 D etc ...

simple solution will be include minimal CPU types from both AMD/INTEL similar way how it's done with videocards ...

another solution for game specs like use of benchmark ,

e.g.

CPU RightMark http://cpu.rightmark.org/

RightMark Memory Analyzer http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmma.shtml

and ScienceMark results http://www.sciencemark.org/

Now, im a little lost here.

I have AMD64 3800+ x2... But each cpu is only 2 ghz i think... Would that be enough?

AMD once invented the 3800+ classification as being equivalent to an Intel CPU at 3.8 GHz, so I'd say that the 3800+ is well on par with the recommended requirement of 3 GHz.

AMD's rating system for dual cores is pretty confusing. Dual core 3800+ has each core running at 2.0GHz while the single core 3800+ runs at 2.4GHz. Single core equivalent to 2.0GHz is the 3200+ which would still leave him above recommended ... so yeah, you're OK.

But it begs the question: will Armed Assault take advantage of multiple cores/CPUs? I can't understand why they haven't answered this question yet. I'll be upgrading based off AA's requirements and it'd help to know if I can save some money.

I'm also waiting on more specific info regarding dual core, but the longer ArmAss takes to reach the shelves the lower the price of the PC will be that i've got my eye on. So i'm hopeing for a Q1 07 release date tounge2.gif

ps; When is Vista due for release as i might even wait till then to upgrade.