Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

ps; When is Vista due for release as i might even wait till then to upgrade.

January...

... 2002. So don't wait around for it. In fact there is only an 80% chance they will meet the January 2007 target (according to Gates in a speech last month). The major analysts reckon it won't be available on mass until the second quarter.

Back on topic, the specs don't give a clue as to the bandwidth requirements. Just what sort of connection will be needed for those 100 player games? huh.gif

I'm still gonna wait until its out. for the time my box hits the min specs. It would suck to go out and get a new box only to have the game delayed 8 months (never know) and have to re-upgrade.

wey nice to know i can do the required specs  smile_o.gif

haha yeah would be fun to see how zombie mod could be in arma with all the new possibilities  biggrin_o.gif

I'm thinking something like the XBox 360 game "Dead Rising" except with helos, Abrams M1A3 and massive firefights.

The constraining factor of the zombie mod was the time taken to execute each AI script per zombie. I had ideas of what I wanted to do but the speed of execution back then was SLO-O-O-W.

It was mind-numbing watching the CPU usage go up to 100% when things got busy on screen.

My dreams of George Romero dystopia may be realised with ARMA though... notworthy.gif

I really hope BIS are precompiling the custom scripts so that they execute 100% faster, or even allocating each script to a CPU thread so that our dual core jobbies can work with them. I doubt it whistle.gif

Zombie_Mod I'm looking forward for your work, if you need any help with testing the ZiiP clan is at your disposal (we were betatesters for Project Reality Mod for BF2)

Anyways, regarding the Dual Core issues - an X2 3800+ equals an P4 3800 performancewise as said before. Just don't install (or uninstall) the AMD drivers and disable Cool&Quiet in BIOS (this cuts your performance in order to be more power-effective). Then install only the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer from their site http://www.amd.com/us-en....00.html

Just don't install (or uninstall) the AMD drivers and disable Cool&Quiet in BIOS (this cuts your performance in order to be more power-effective).

OT, but it only reduces performance (or clock speed) when it's not needed. It will run at full speed when the demand exists. It's better on than off, it will be quieter if you have a temp controlled fan and use less electricity.

Zombie_Mod I'm looking forward for your work, if you need any help with testing the ZiiP clan is at your disposal (we were betatesters for Project Reality Mod for BF2)

Anyways, regarding the Dual Core issues - an X2 3800+ equals an P4 3800 performancewise as said before. Just don't install (or uninstall) the AMD drivers and disable Cool&Quiet in BIOS (this cuts your performance in order to be more power-effective). Then install only the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer from their site http://www.amd.com/us-en....00.html

Thanks for the offer.

In due time, I will contact Mig, Grabarz, Maccollo etc and we can hopefully get this zombie stuff on the road again.

The break away from the project was what I needed IMHO to recharge my creative batteries ... jeez how cheesy does that sound biggrin_o.gif

Here's my current thinking, in no particular order:

1. I want to think about how I can upgrade the "scare" factor this time. In the original zombie mod, I remember playing a sample from Day of the dead (from when John & Sarah have made their escape into a tunnel, and cut a zombie's head in half by a spade, fact fans) and every time it played I jumped! I want something like that but only less repetitive.

2. If ARMA supports a large number of players in MP then I can see "hold off the zombie horde" type games becoming a real possibility. I even want players to be ZOMBIES after they get killed so if you can programatically switch player controlled units in real time that would be amazing.

3. Fitness factor. Something that has really annoyed me with OFP is that you can just run forever. Your soldiers never get tired, even when running up hills. I would like ARMA to implement a Far-Cry style "Fitness" meter that lowers the more you run. And if we can programatically slow down a player, that would be great.

Note: in the Romero universe, zombies don't get tired, so we need unlimited energy for those chaps.

4. The ARMA version of o2 has to be easier to use tounge2.gif

Just don't install (or uninstall) the AMD drivers and disable Cool&Quiet in BIOS (this cuts your performance in order to be more power-effective).

OT, but it only reduces performance (or clock speed) when it's not needed. It will run at full speed when the demand exists. It's better on than off, it will be quieter if you have a temp controlled fan and use less electricity.

yes it should in therory but it's not exactly what happens. i'll try to find some more info and edit my post.

edit:

OK so the drivers can be there (1.3.2) and they do what you told. The Optimizer is adressing a different issue as is described below. I don't use them though, have C&Q disabled in BIOS and "Always On" in Power Management options. This is just because I want to have my CPU clocked @ 100% everytime. It takes time to alter the clock. If we would compare what that does - if both you and me open 2 programs from an idle state, my machine would open them a bit faster, that's all.

What the Optimizer does: The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core or multiple processor systems.

It is only compatible to X2/FX CPUs (no Semprons)

Are the drivers / MS Hotfix for Dual-Core needed? You can uninstall the AMD CPU driver and the MS Hotfix as neither are necessary. The AMD Dual Core Optimizer by itself should be all that's necessary.

Many people go and install the AMD CPU driver and the MS Hotfix without knowing what they do, and the MS hotfix in particular was only meant to be installed on systems which experienced severe peformance problems in games due to power management issues and dual core CPUs. Neither is recommended or required in my opinion.

There is an interesting thread about the Utility over at Tweakguides if you want to know more http://forums.tweakguides.com/showthread.php?t=3619

Nice to see PR users, I was in -SAS- about a month ago and also helped betatesting.

for me,PR is still just a stopgap for ArmA.

Armed Assault system specs info now in the wiki.

System Specs

Hoz

Oh, bloody hell! I juuuuust make the Recommended Specs. I got a 3GHZ, GF 6800GS 256MB and a gig of RAM. tounge2.gif

Ahh, gotta love a good PC Upgrade, AMD 3500+, XFX 7800GT, 2GB Corsair XMS Ram... ahh... smile_o.gif

Heh... don't be so optymistic. Does anyone remember recommended system requirements for Resistance?  

CPU 700 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 32MB DirectX 8.1 3D video card...  wink_o.gif

Recommended doesn't always mean the best and I'm more than sure to admire the game in its full beauty you will need a pretty strong computer  tounge2.gif

Waiting 'till Vista. No point in spending Å2000 now when in 5 months time you get can a 10x better PC for the same price.

Heh... don't be so optymistic. Does anyone remember recommended system requirements for Resistance?  

CPU 700 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 32MB DirectX 8.1 3D video card...  wink_o.gif

Recommended doesn't always mean the best and I'm more than sure to admire the game in its full beauty you will need a pretty strong computer  tounge2.gif

Yes, but ArmA uses well optimized game engine, so I hope the recommended specs will be enough smile_o.gif

sorry for my english :P

CPU 700 MHz, 256 MB RAM, 32MB DirectX 8.1 3D video card... wink_o.gif

Recommended doesn't always mean the best and I'm more than sure to admire the game in its full beauty you will need a pretty strong computer tounge2.gif

wink_o.gif Well Resistance had more higher resolution textures but OFP v1.46 ran quite well on 450mhz, 256mb ram and a Voodoo2. And those system requirement btw are fine for the standard Resistance without any modifications.

But since we seen some improvement in the latest ArmA screenshots I think it still could change imo.

Those who search shall find  wink_o.gif

got this yesterday from paul

Hi Jon,

A demo should be out soon, admittedly how soon is soon is a good question, for the sake of covering my back wink_o.gif Let's say soon is certainly before the end of the year, we're getting close now and are preparing the next version for Game Convention this month.

Regards,

Paul.

Paul R. Statham

Public Relations & Community Manager

Bohemia Interactive Studio

maby, but somewhere in this forum someone said to placebo that the release date is still H1. placebo corrected this in his way

nothing special behind this.... confused_o.gif

so keep up waiting

maby, but somewhere in this forum someone said to placebo that the release date is still H1. placebo corrected this in his way

nothing special behind this....  confused_o.gif

so keep up waiting

Well right now that line is empty, which is very strange so ill guess they put something there tounge2.gif

who cares ?

anyway , ArmA will not come this year... hard to say that but i think its the truth ...

According to Polish publisher LEM Armed Assault will be released between September and October this year  wink_o.gif

According to Polish publisher LEM Armed Assault will be released between September and October this year  wink_o.gif

According to the Chicken entrails that I just read it is looking like Dec/Jan.... Hey don't knock them, a chicken had to die to get you this imformation.... It worked for Pompey nener.gif

I see my entrail reading is also backed up with the "Hi Jon," post...This too looks very tustworthy.. TIC

Anybody want to buy a bridge ?

According to Polish publisher LEM Armed Assault will be released between September and October this year wink_o.gif

BIS is at the GC 24.8-27.8 and invited publishers to have a look on ArmA.

http://www.bistudio.com :

"...If you would like to arrange a business meeting or game demonstration please contact IDEA Games..."

so, do you realy think arma will be released in september or october?

banghead.gif

who cares ?

anyway , ArmA will not come this year... hard to say that but i think its the truth ...

Meh, i guess 40% chance of a Q3 release, 40% chance of a Q4 release and 20% chance of a 2007 release, the game seems really finished now, i guess theyll start soon with the last step: sorting bugs out smile_o.gif