Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

damn, I was gonna say the same thing...

3d realms -> stalker -> BIS

jk whistle.gif

Id rather say

3drealms -> Stalker -> Ubisoft ( ghost recon 2 (rip) and then ghost recon 3) -> valve (hl2 ) -> BIS

smile_o.gif

LOL !

SURPRISE DELAYYY ! Now we have to wait until the 17 th july... Bis is definitly the studio of the year for the delays !  rofl.gif

Where do you get all this info from man?

Quote[/b] ]Current ETA for FlashNews 100 is Monday 17th July
from "FlashNews 2006" topic wink_o.gif

ArmA Progress Updates

Ok, ive been on vacation for a week and i decided to read this topic for any 'Progress Updates', the only 'news' i read is that there are real artillary pieces which can be destroyed so there wont be any artillary. But why did i have to read 10 pages for that? we need a 'useless speculation tread' tounge2.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif im tired of BIS now.... i dont care about the FlashNews 100.....

what we want are facts facts facts....

Quote[/b] ]Current ETA for FlashNews 100 is Monday 17th July
from "FlashNews 2006" topic  wink_o.gif

Well I don't know where to find that, not that it matters. I will just wait like everyone else, although I am really, really looking forward to Armed Assault... wink_o.gif

ArmA Progress Updates

Ok, ive been on vacation for a week and i decided to read this topic for any 'Progress Updates', the only 'news' i read is that there are real artillary pieces which can be destroyed so there wont be any artillary. But why did i have to read 10 pages for that? we need a 'useless speculation tread' tounge2.gif

Actually off-topic threads in actual threads would be better  smile_o.gif .

I mostly only read (dont post) and it's not always easy to 'see' what some pages are about banghead.gif .

icon_rolleyes.gif im tired of BIS now.... i dont care about the FlashNews 100.....

what we want are facts facts facts....

Actually BIS has posted nothing but facts. Its threads like this which build up all the speculation and false info wink_o.gif

Oh, and dates slip. They slip in the real world, they slip in the game world. Nothing is certain smile_o.gif

So true. Every day this game isn't selling is a day they are losing money. I'm sure they'd like to get it out as much as people want to buy it.

I sence some tence atmosphere lately around here. I feel the same way, i even finally registered here because i thought the release could be near. Now i think that we are lucky if we see release next christmas.

If you guys are getting impatient its your own fault.

Yes I'm sure they would like to have the game out but its obviously not money they are after,otherwise (once more) the game would have been out long ago.

Sorry guys and gals but you have to wait like the rest of us wether you like or not. And they said that the date in terms of months is around October/September,if its not released by then we simply wait,if you want to move to another game feel free,we aren't gonna stop you.

If you guys are getting impatient its your own fault.

Sorry guys and gals but you have to wait like the rest of us wether you like or not. And they said that the date in terms of months is around October/September,if its not released by then we simply wait,if you want to move to another game feel free,we aren't gonna stop you.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Yes I'm sure they would like to have the game out but its obviously not money they are after,otherwise (once more) the game would have been out long ago.

Yeah, it's all about us loving fans. rofl.gif

Of course they are after money too, but can you remember the game that lasted so long on your HDD? I can't. Why? Because BIS made OFP to last, they WANTED to give us a game we would play (and mod) for years, otherwise they would just do what other developers (and distributors) do: give us a half-finished game with no modding or editing capabilities...they knew what they were doing then, and i think they know what they are doing now.

Huh, did i say all that? biggrin_o.gif

My guess is that they'll release OFP for free so everyone can (legally) DL and play as a PR-stunt for ArmA.

No way, Codemasters wouldn't like that idea.

Think about it. First of all, what distribution/publisher deal is for more than 5 years when it comes to a game? Furthermore, the deal might just be that if BIS distributes themselves, Codemasters are entitled to x% of the income wich is 0.

I'm sticking to my story. smile_o.gif

Like C.J from, Gta San Andreas put it! "4 Life!"

and by that i mean Ofp 4 Life! inlove.gifpistols.gif

My guess is that they'll release OFP for free so everyone can (legally) DL and play as a PR-stunt for ArmA.

No way, Codemasters wouldn't like that idea.

Think about it. First of all, what distribution/publisher deal is for more than 5 years when it comes to a game? Furthermore, the deal might just be that if BIS distributes themselves, Codemasters are entitled to x% of the income wich is 0.

I'm sticking to my story. smile_o.gif

Under copyright laws etc Codemasters technically own Operation Flashpoint (the name, the game lock-stock and however many smoking barrels) for something like 75 years after publishing (I'm sure one of the copyright officionado's will correct me here)

So whether BIS wanted to or not, they couldnt release it as freeware, as it isnt theirs to release. wink_o.gif

Isn't theirs... That just blows goats. That's like the doctor owning the baby he/she just delivered. Or delivery truck drivers owning the items they haul. Or the marketing houses owning the rights to the objects they make commercials for.. I could go on and on - unfortunately. Publishers have the channels and bend developers over the barrel. I hope BIS and IDEA are the strong willed, creative, brainiacs I picture them as. Ah well, I'll just be happy to see it go gold, whatever path it takes. 'Till then, I'm hawking any new screenies.

Quote[/b] ]That's like the doctor owning the baby he/she just delivered.

Only if the doctor signed a deal with her and her husband/man/whatever to get their baby after it was born for a certain fee and pay for it's diapers and the add in the papers announcing the baby had born..

OFP (the game, not name) is still BIS'. The only difference is, that BIS aren't allowed to earn money on it (commercial use) without Codies behind them.

SO it might be possible that BIS releases a free download with all the original stuff from OFP/Ressistance. They can't, however, include it in the ArmA-package, since then it would be of commercial use.

I don't think this surprise is a free release of OFP. Aside from the murky legal issues involved, the way BIS has handled the surprise tends to hint towards something else. Why, for instance, would BIS change the FlashNews release from Friday to Monday if they were merely uploading software? I imagine that packaging up some 5 year old software and a few patches wouldn't require an extra weekend of work due to unforseen difficulties.

Instead, I believe that it must be something that required some creative design or technical input from the staff, like a mod wiki, a new promo video, or perhaps even a demo. This would be consistent with the shift in dates, since it is possible to discover a critical bug or flaw close to release. What the surprise is, however, is anyone's guess. Until now, BIS has set neither a fixed release date or even a publisher for Armed Assault, and the status of Game 2/3/whatever is unclear. We have no confirmed final feature list and very little media or information to work with, so any predictions at this stage are unlikely to be anything more than mere guesses. Finally, all of this assumes the surprise is actually related to Armed Assault, which itself is doubtful.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of the information stranglehold too. BIS seldom makes any statements about its products, and its only public face is our local sheriff, Placebo. It must be frightening for newcomers to come here, see the multitude of locked threads and find next to no facts.

In short, we need to stop making wild speculations, and BIS needs to start releasing more info. Monday's FlashNews would be a good place to start.

Talking about rushing the game will leave bugs...

Look at how many patches OFP had. It was a rather buggy game (and still is, grass patches randomly flashing on the road in Nogova anyone?) probably as it was unlike any game ever created before. Can we expect Armed Assault to be the same?

"Information stranglehold"? "Next to no facts"? - There are dozens of interviews with lots of facts! BIS have answered the majority of questions asked about the game. That many people can't accept that they have the answers and endlessly wish for X, Y & Z is not BIS's problem.

"Multitude of locked threads" - The threads have been locked because they ask the same questions which have already been answered, or are already being discussed in open threads.

As far as the two day delay in Flashnews, who said that had anything to do with the suprise? Maybe Placebo just wanted more time to review the new mod releases, i.e. the bread and butter of Flashnews.

I think this suprise will turn out to be a huge disappointment for most people because they assume it must be something big and special. They insist on believing it has something to so with Arma despite being told emphatically that it isn't. I can just hear the angry tirades when the suprise is revealed to be a new BIS logo (etc).

Ahhh... A new logo. That would make sense since they have decided to dabble in Publishing, release the AA demo and bring out a patch for OFP that will turn it into Next Gen ...TIC