Sign in to follow this  
SelectThis

Bas blackhawks

Sorry if this is nothing but i De-pbo'ed the BAS_MAH60.pbo and i saw in the Scripts dir this file: BAS_map.bak now you guys can tell me what's that? I say: .Bak is not supported in OFP and can contain any virus so confirm that i am wrong/right but i Del the .Bak file and see what happens

PS: .bak = a Windows File format and Win use it for the Backups.

bak is simply a file created when pboing some files. I think

Suchey & Earl helped create JAM... of course they are participating smile_o.gif

I think we can draw several conclusions here:

1. An effective and updated AV program pays!

2. A simple firewall program, like ZoneAlarm, is also a must in this day and age.

3. The downloads from BAS' website are definitely clean.

4. So far there isn't a trace of proof that BAS files mirrored anywhere else are infected.

5. Some people here have confirmed the importance of points 1 and 2 above. biggrin_o.gif

Firstly, I am not trying to pass blame, all I am trying to do is track down if there are infected files associated with the blackhawks. I understand it must be frustrating.

Schoeler,

I just DLed the mission files again, from the links in this thread. Did a scan on the zip, extracted the files and rescanned them. Nothing was detected.

SelectThis

SelectThis, I appreciate your efforts in double checking this, I know you guys wouldn't do anything like this. I was just worried some asshole hacked you and spread a virus around with your addons to try and trash your rep. After all the hate talk and shit I've read on this thread and others, such a thing wouldn't surprise me at all from some of these types.

Okay, I Dl'ed from OFPEC last night and got the W32.Blaster Worm.  DL'ed the fix and hopefully killed the damned thing.  Cute little virus, it shuts down every possible means of killing or finding the damned thing.  I still can't reinstall my Norton 2003 Professional edition.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that I DL'ed the extra specops thing on this thread.  Could this be the source?

Nope...

http://home.comcast.net/~hudsontpf/junk/images/nope.jpg

You guys should really track down the source before making assumptions like you are. It dosent look good for BAS when you start accusing them of this. Maybe you have had the virus for longer than you think, maybe you just learned of the virus and are assuming you had to have just been infected recently. I can assure you all the files I have downloaded off the BAS site are clean of the blaster worm. I just reinstalled my OS saturday after being hit rather hard by the worm, I have AV software and I didnt even know I had it till the newest DAT update and theres no telling how long it was there. I personally have been having RCP crashes and random restarts since last tuesday and thats alot longer than BAS has had these files up for download.  

On another note. I NEED MORE JAM MISSIONS!!!! The fire-fights are unbelievable, MORE! MORE! MORE!

I was just worried some ******* hacked you and spread a virus around with your addons to try and trash your rep.

A formal solution would be for BAS to recommend downloads only from approved mirror sites, similar to what Codemasters recommended a long time ago about OFP patches.

It's not fool-proof but it does't hurt.

Anyway, so far glad to see that the *******s apparently haven't done so. tounge_o.gif

Okay, I Dl'ed from OFPEC last night and got the W32.Blaster Worm.  DL'ed the fix and hopefully killed the damned thing.  Cute little virus, it shuts down every possible means of killing or finding the damned thing.  I still can't reinstall my Norton 2003 Professional edition.

Edit:  I forgot to mention that I DL'ed the extra specops thing on this thread.  Could this be the source?

Nope...

http://home.comcast.net/~hudsontpf/junk/images/nope.jpg

You guys should really track down the source before making assumptions like you are. It dosent look good for BAS when you start accusing them of this. Maybe you have had the virus for longer than you think, maybe you just learned of the virus and are assuming you had to have just been infected recently. I can assure you all the files I have downloaded off the BAS site are clean of the blaster worm. I just reinstalled my OS saturday after being hit rather hard by the worm, I have AV software and I didnt even know I had it till the newest DAT update and theres no telling how long it was there. I personally have been having RCP crashes and random restarts since last tuesday and thats alot longer than BAS has had these files up for download.  

On another note. I NEED MORE JAM MISSIONS!!!! The fire-fights are unbelievable, MORE! MORE! MORE!

Sorry, I should have posted that in clearer language, I wasn't blaming the worm on OFPEC or BAS, but just providing SelectThis with more info on the timeline and circumstances for when I first noticed the worm.  I didn't mean to imply that there was a definite connection, only that it might be a possibility worth looking into.  Did anyone else have this worm announce its presence in the past day or so like Tankieboy and me?

I just thought of a most original idea! smile_o.gif

Could the never-was BAS virus discussion continue on this thread, especially started just for this?

Back to the addons and missions? rock.gif

the BAS_map.bak file is one which i made (using Ultraedit's backup facility), it's just a back up of the BAS_map.sqs which i did before i attempted to use my less than L33t scripting skills to put the variable mapsize support code in.

SelectThis

Kurayami is right, I updated windows right after Norton's utility found the virus.

God only know where I got that little SOB, but it showed up first thing this morning right after my two late night DL's last night, so I thought I'd put out the warning to check both sites.

It's not coming from anything you've downloaded by choice. It's coming in by itself on TCP 135. Infected systems randomly probe IPs while looking for the vulnerability. When it finds a vulnerable system, it attempts to establish a connection to the system on TCP 135 and send it "msblaster.exe," which is the worm. Once a system is infected, the worm runs at startup and it will do the same thing as the system that infected it.

So basically if you aren't patched, you don't have to worry about finding it. It will find you.

(sorry to take this OT, but it kind of bugged me to see BAS blamed for this)

Theres been a lot of those RPC worms going around lately.  I got the W32.Spybot.Worm last week after downloading a mod for Half-Life.  Took me awhile surfing the Microsoft newsgroups (tons of people are having this same problem) but I eventually cleaned my system out without having to reformat.  I had to download trial version of Nortan Anti Virus to fix it since my free AVG couldnt detect anything. Moral of the story: Norton may be expensive but its definitely worth it.

Anyways back on topic: Im sure I dont need to tell BAS how good the chopper is  biggrin_o.gif  so Ill just make a few small personal requests:

1. Could you make the door animation commands add and remove the doors to the normal MH-60L?

2. It would be awesome if you could do a dark olive drab texture for your UH-60L.  OFP really needs a good standard Army blackhawk.

3.  I know im beating a dead horse but I still wish you could put in the 2nd door gun (maybe cut some polys in other places?).

Well thats my feedback for the public beta, I think Ill just go play with the blackhawks and be happy now  smile_o.gif

Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I am upset I got this worm or whatever it is. I was joking when I said thanks to BAS. So ppl grow up and as I started all this I say lets get back on topic.

btw thanks BAS for your addition of the Blackhawks and JAM.

Now if only my computer didnt keep shutting down I will be able to play...

Hi, Realy great work BAS, i cant do ranger extraction thoug, i get left behind crazy_o.gif

anyways, is it possible to, say, apply a little medical sign to one of he blackhawks for medivacs and stuff? That would be cool, as i was thinking about making a diverese mission with the blackahwaks, like radio commands which allow you to call for pickup, then fastrope, and if someone in your team is injured you can radio for medivac, and the medivac lands, your man gets in, and then he flies back to base to get medicated, and when you return you can nave him in your team again or something. sorry for teh long sentence. also, is it possible to increase the distance that the radio works? e.g for very foggy missions.

thankyou in advance, i mean well, they are great chopers, and goodbye.

the_unknown_one

P.S. im going off to fly around for now.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off. I am upset I got this worm or whatever it is. I was joking when I said thanks to BAS. So ppl grow up and as I started all this I say lets get back on topic.

btw thanks BAS for your addition of the Blackhawks and JAM.

Now if only my computer didnt keep shutting down I will be able to play...

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/08/11/internet.attack.ap/index.html

Guys...let's try and bring this back on topic shall we?

I'd like to reiterate STs comments and make a few of my own. Thanks to all for the positive comments, troubleshooting and the constructive criticism.

Although it is EXTREMELY flattering to have our work compared to BIS, let's not be too harsh on them. Remember they made their UH-60 whilst making dozens of other objects and units for the game. They also had to stick to tight deadlines and commitments. We have spent months making just this helo so it's not fair to be so critical of them.

Also keep in mind that they also had to code the engine that allows us to make these great addons for you. Without the forethought of making the engine extendable (although, not without lots of effort) you also would not be enjoying the BHs.

Again....thanks for the compliments and comparisons...but just be aware of the commitments BIS must have had and even have now. Their efforts in OFP2 will bring all our work to new dimension and they are implementing a lot of stuff based on our input.

We may be showing them up a little now...but they have the keys to the source code...and I can guarantee what they have planned for the future will make our addons look like Tonka toys :-)

@Hudson:

Please can you give us a link to your fixed Jam...pbo

for linux dedicate servers???

Do all players need this version or is it enough having it on the server???

Guest jacobaby

Well, to date, only a couple of true bugs have shown up in the MH60 that we werent aware of.

One of these was the sound with the lighting, thx shadow, and the other hasn't been mentioned by anybody yet, but I spotted it myself in playing....

I hope we can track down as many as possible between us all, so that when 1.92 is finalised we can finalise the project.

Please try to make your report as detailed as possible, with pictures if possible, and an example of how we can duplicate the bug, then we can be sure of what we are looking to fix.

I would like to say what an encouragement this thread has been, the positive feedback and appreciation for these addons makes it all worth while (our wives/girls might not agree), so thank you all for that. We hope you get many hours of pleasure from them.

To that end I shall be trying to produce as many missions as I can (expect long and hard...... wow_o.gif ) and you are also welcome to play with the addons at the official BAS public server.

I also host a 24/7 server with the emphasis on Co-op missions.

The regular crew that we get are relatively "older" than your average gamer, 30 being the average age. We like to have fun but play the missions seriously too.

If you think that is the kind of gaming environment you would enjoy being part of, you can get the details by sending me a PM.

Again, thanks for all the feedback, it seems you guys feel like I did when i fiirst saw the MH60......

WOW!!

biggrin_o.gif

TJ

Thanks Hudson!

What a stupid error on our part *smacks head*. Surprised ofp works at all with JAM installed! smile_o.gif

I think what we will do is wait for 1.92 then release the blackhawks, SOAR and JAM as AAE addons (with bugs fixed).

Once again, thanks for tracking down the linux bug.

SelectThis

you mean those blackhawks are bugged:(

you mean those blackhawks are bugged:(

Er...no, as mentioned in the previous post by tj the only true bugs on the MH-60 are the cabin light making a noise and another one TJ spotted.

Also, JAM doesnt have a problem on non-linux machines as the side code is only used once, and it uses the words, the only time it appears is this:

side=TWest;

So the numbers are irrelevant, obviously Linux versions handle this differently, what ST is saying about us rereleasing is that we are going to make them AAE compatible and implement any changes that are made in 1.92 and fix any of the small bugs mentioned, we obviously couldnt have implemented them before release as we have no idea what is being changed.

if you will release em in AAE package you should also release em in ZIP package since sometimes AAE get screwed up on some PC`s.