Sign in to follow this  
SelectThis

Bas blackhawks

Guest jacobaby
I try to make the choppers default carry humvees.... by using the script in the choppers init field...

I dont quite know what you are trying to do.

the choppers BY DEFAULT carry HMMWV's, nothing needed from you.

TJ

outstanding job done on this chopper lads, skins are superb.

a few comments to improove here and there tho;

the crash model doesnt look like it really crashed, but more like someone is applying for 'nobelprice for poor workmanship'  in the blackhawk factory, if you know what i mean.

one point is: chopperblades just dont snap off like that (unless they are 'prepared' like that), but in the event they would snap like that, the chance you will find them within walking distance of the chopper is pretty much zero.

what really is missing on that wreck are the marks on the ground (oil leaks, charring and disturbed soil)

let me clarify with two shots:

i find it also a shame that even tho you CAN open/close doors, you can get in and out as if there are no doors..

Since this chopper carries troops i suggest you make the sliding doors work as well, so that you can 'lock' the chopper, your coder should know what i mean.

preventing ejecting when doors are shut also gets in the picture then.

Another suggestion on the wrecksite: equip the wreck with ammo so that the soldiers can salvage and use it and make the minigun usable.

I could think of more things, but i leave it at this.

Please note how i dont just take the piss out of an addon, but am telling you what i think and how to improove.

There are varying degrees of crashes, having one model to fit them all is impossible, and also making ground debris doesnt really take into account the different types of maps the crashed blackhawk will be used on, there are many surfaces where charring is not suitable, all in all, we are happy with the crash model we have provided.

As for locking the doors read back a few pages, this was addressed by our coder, also the minigun is powered by the aircrafts electrical supply, if the helicopter has no power then the minigun will not work, also there is an M60 on the crashed version not a minigun, whether to make that workable was considered and dismissed.

Guest jacobaby
the crash model doesnt look like it really crashed, but more like someone is applying for 'nobelprice for poor workmanship'  in the blackhawk factory, if you know what i mean.

one point is: chopperblades just dont snap off like that (unless they are 'prepared' like that), but in the event they would snap like that, the chance you will find them within walking distance of the chopper is pretty much zero.

what really is missing on that wreck are the marks on the ground (oil leaks, charring and disturbed soil)

let me clarify with two shots:

i find it also a shame that even tho you CAN open/close doors, you can get in and out as if there are no doors..

Since this chopper carries troops i suggest you make the sliding doors work as well, so that you can 'lock' the chopper, your coder should know what i mean.

preventing ejecting when doors are shut also gets in the picture then.

Another suggestion on the wrecksite: equip the wreck with ammo so that the soldiers can salvage and use it and make the minigun usable.

I could think of more things, but i leave it at this.

Please note how i dont just take the piss out of an addon, but am telling you what i think and how to improove.

Thanks Carny smile_o.gif

We had a job to convince STT we wanted a crash model at all!! he was very reluctant to smash his baby up, and who can blame him.

In the end time was severly limited for the crash model, and as it was, all the things you mentioned we discussed as a team, including the snapping blades. The wreck did have a crater model an texture too but it looks like that got left out. The wreck model is a "hard landing" representation really.

Maybe if we get more time then a more fancy one will be produced, but its not a priority. The thing is "based" on pics we resaerched, like this one;

artd.jpg

As regards the doors, again it was something we discussed as a team. My personal preference was to lock the doors, but the team decision, based on player feedback was to leave it as is, and I am happy with that.

It is up to the player whether or not he chooses to play realistically, so we are happy with that. Personally speaking, I always open the pilots door to get in to fly, or the side doors to get in the cargo area.

I like the idea of the working gun on the wreck, but im not certain how realistic that would be. the minigun is electrically powered and so would be without a powersource. Something to think about for the final version though.

Thanks for the comments.

TJ

I dont know if this is a bug or just my screwy computer.  But after I do a fastrope, if I try to go into third person or command view for some screenshots, I get an unblievable amount of lag.

It literally goes down to about 1-2 frames per second.

your not alone.. and man i cant get the damn cabin light script working!! i put it in waypoints, and unit init lines to activate the Cabin Light script and it doesnt work for me!! am i doing something wrong.. and yes i am replacing "chopper" with the real chopper name. The fast rope script works fine.. its just the cabin light one that doesnt work for me.. can someone plzz help me? its the best thing.

Guest jacobaby
I dont know if this is a bug or just my screwy computer.  But after I do a fastrope, if I try to go into third person or command view for some screenshots, I get an unblievable amount of lag.

It literally goes down to about 1-2 frames per second.

your not alone.. and man i cant get the damn cabin light script working!! i put it in waypoints, and unit init lines to activate the Cabin Light script and it doesnt work for me!! am i doing something wrong.. and yes i am replacing "chopper" with the real chopper name. The fast rope script works fine.. its just the cabin light one that doesnt work for me.. can someone plzz help me? its the best thing.

read back a few pages.

Excellent helicopters, my only gripe is that those AI SOAR pilots are bloody psychopaths!! After destroying my armour they circled for an hour and chased my squad and me across Nogova until we were all dead!! Talk about dedication!

Would it be possible to add a rescue hoist on the choppers, or have you discussed and discarded this idea already? Being winched off a mountain would be amazing for cutscenes, and please Jinef no end as he can go and do some SAR missions!!

There was meant to be a crater included as a seperate object to use with the wrecked balckhawk, it's there in the BAS - Misc section, but due to an error on my part the p3d is missing. sad_o.gif

We'll fix this after 1,92 comes out.

SelectThis

I found that if you open the pilot door, then enter the helo has passenger and then switch position to pilot you can fly the BH with the door open, when we request extraction the rangers will put their goggles on (obviously) and damn those desert rangers and deltas look so cool inside the choppers, thats the quality i would like to see on a BHD game, someone should clone bas members so we could see even more quality stuff smile_o.gif .

someone should clone bas members so we could see even more quality stuff smile_o.gif .

Ask "Rael" for the amount of 150'000$ he will clone the person of your choice but you gotta give him samples wink_o.giftounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Sooooo, anybody made more missions for the hawks? I need to log more hours on the DAP before i can decide wether this is the Blackhawk from Heaven or the Blackhawk from Hell  biggrin_o.gif

Edit: Does anybody have a mirror for the JAM missions. I cant seem to download it from the BAS site (???)

read back a few pages.

Umm.. im sorry but i cant find out how to work this cabin light for anything... ive read the entire 28 page forum!! from this..

Quote[/b] ]CHOPPER animate ["switch3Clight",1];Chopper exec "\bas_mah60\fx\cabin.sqs"

to this

Quote[/b] ]Chopper exec "\bas_mah60\fx\cabin.sqs" ;
<-- what blackdog and the readme said.. nothing wants to work.. ive tried throwing them in the init field.. and in waypoints.. even grouped triggers with them.. nothing is working.. im soryr if i overlooked it.. someone please just answer it one last time.. im making a covert mission and i love this little red light in the cabin.. so TJ please just answer it one last time or tell me what im doing wrong with
Quote[/b] ]CHOPPER animate ["switch3Clight",1];Chopper exec "\bas_mah60\fx\cabin.sqs"

OH.. and i noticed alot of people were complaing about alot of lag when zooming in close to the choppers.. i fixed mine.. just turn on HW&TL lol.. i never ran it before cuz it makes my ground textures ugly.. but hey better than having the cargo in my blackhawk move at 2 frames per second.

Id appreciate it.. on the forum if someone can post about the cabin light issue or in PM thanx in advance... and sorry i didnt see it before but ive given up after 45 minutes of looking.. alt tabbing and trying everything.

We may have found a linux bug tonight while playing co@ 12 rangerextraction v1.noe.pbo. It seems that we are getting 1 set of ropes per client connected to the server. Not to bad a problem but it seems to make about half the AI miss the ropes and hit the ground, resulting in alot of broken legs and a few deaths. All players come out allright but the AI take a beating.  

ropes.jpg

i know this is a dumb idea, but i want to convert the BIS default GROUND ATTACK missions to use a BAS AH-60L DAP

instead of the AH-1 or AH-64

if i wanted to release them, (which is pretty dumb, no one would want them, missions are very unrealistic), do i gotta ask permission to edit those  default BIS missions?

Im pretty sure its allright as long as you dont plan on selling them.

Dammit lol

thought i could make a fortune off those tounge_o.gif

ps offtopic: does my sig and avatar show up, just set em up with shitty hosting

We may have found a linux bug tonight while playing co@ 12 rangerextraction v1.noe.pbo. It seems that we are getting 1 set of ropes per client connected to the server. Not to bad a problem but it seems to make about half the AI miss the ropes and hit the ground, resulting in alot of broken legs and a few deaths. All players come out allright but the AI take a beating.

Fastroping with multiple players, AI and multiple choppers in a multiplayer game is one of the most challenging things to be done script wise.

Everything needs to be done quite fast and coordinated across the network, but the methods for syncronizing this stuff are rather slow in OFP.

Unfortunately the problems you are getting are known since it's the compromise we settled for. It works fine in SP and ok in MP with not so many players and good pings.

We would like to improve this but we first have to see how the 1.92 patch changes things for MP games.

Everything needs to be done quite fast and coordinated across the network, but the methods for syncronizing this stuff are rather slow in OFP...

This is the problem, we did have a couple players connected with desync over 100,000. It was pretty laggy the round that screenshot was taken.

Excellent work on those choppers BAS biggrin_o.gif

Finally had time to DL this babes yesterday, and took them for a quick spin round Desert Island.

I can't even start to imagine how much work that's been put into these choppers. Well done BAS.

JAM project was good too. Liked the sounds of the MG's, and the ability to carry more grenades when using the grenadier with the vest.

Take a well deseved rest, you've earned it.

BTW Hope you had a happy birthday Tigershark

I try to make the choppers default carry humvees.... by using the script in the choppers init field...

I dont quite know what you are trying to do.

the choppers BY DEFAULT carry HMMWV's, nothing needed from you.

TJ

Sorry, perhaps I didnt phrase the question right.

I am trying to make the choppers start off with humvees underneath them, in the sling, using the script provided. But I get an error message. Do I have to like have to have the chopper at a certain height or something?

Guest jacobaby
Quote[/b] ]CHOPPER animate ["switch4Clight",1];Chopper exec "\bas_mah60\fx\cabin.sqs"

That should do it for you, sorry for the omission in the readme!