DnA

Contact Expansion Livonia Feedback

Please use this thread to share your notes on the new Livonia terrain in Arma 3 Contact (accessible to those who own it). For concrete bug reports, the preferred reporting method is Feedback Tracker. Remember to include coordinates, screenshots, Splendid Camera exported settings, or simple reproduction scenarios where possible. General expansion feedback is discussed in this thread.

arma3_contact_livonia_00.jpg

• Like 6

Generally I like the map. It looks good. Love the ambient details (forest sfx, etc.). Nice.

What I don't like is.... this:

2owa0Qn.png

These Arma2 objects are sticking out very hard. The above example is even worse, because it has detailed objects all around it and then you see stuff like its stairs, which are just horrible at this point. Not sure if the texture got a touchup, as I haven't played A2 in a long time, but the quality difference is very, very noticeable.

• Like 1

Oops, incorrectly posted this in the assets thread first. 

The only asset I've checked out in any detail is the Livonia map itself. Given its prerelease status I don't want to come across as too harsh, but then again I did just pay $30 to help bug test it. I'm not planning on submitting feedback to the black hole that is the feedback tracker :)

Good:

• Great varied landscape and live/diseased/dead vegetation assets.
  • Spectacular environmental sound design, particularly in forests at night. Right up there with Hunter COTW or Kingdom Come Deliverance.
  • Some wonderfully evocative and atmospheric areas.

Bad:

• Horrific optimisation around large urban areas, where my computer sometimes struggles to hold 35fps without mods.  (I expect this kind of thing from a mod terrain, not a BIS official one).
  • Bad satmap mismatches, particularly between the tan satmap/bright green grass.
  • Overpowering daytime atmospheric ambience that sounds like constant wind / distant traffic, needs to be scaled back about 95%.  
  • Pretty bad ground clutter popin.
  • Night lighting config is a bit extreme, I can barely illuminate 5m in front of me with a torch.
  • Intermittent popping of environmental samples.
  • Worldname is "Enoch", not "Livonia"

Neutral:

• Yet another map where everyone lives in a limited range of ramshackle 19th century huts or decaying soviet era buildings, not a single modern building on the map
  • Those hoping for an essentially remastered Chernarus are going to be disappointed I think
  • No fucking furniture...
  • Like 6

Probably you have someone for this and it would be fixed anyway, but here's some Polish language insight. In the trailer we have this:

contact-plate.jpg

In the Polish part should be:

WKRACZASZ NA TEREN WOJSKOWY

NIE OPUSZCZAJ DROGI

NIE ZATRZYMUJ SIĘ I NIE WYCHODŹ Z POJAZDU

BEZWZGLĘDNIE PODPORZĄDKUJ SIĘ SŁUŻBOM WOJSKOWYM

I ZWOLNIJ IM DROGĘ W RAZIE POTRZEBY

NA PUNKCIE KONTROLNYM ZATRZYMAJ SWÓJ POJAZD

I OKAŻ SWOJE DOKUMENTY

(assuming no punctuation marks is actual thing on such plates, could be, also it is not impossible this is based on actual plate with same errors? 🙂 )

Erm, or should this go to the assets feedback?

So how Polish is the map @Rydygier?

Haha, don't know, how Polish(ed) it is yet, had no opportunity to see it so far. First impression have to wait (maybe for the better), till I get a bit richer... Wait, is it available to play already?

• Like 1

@Rydygier: preorder it, switch to A3 dev branch, and the map and some assets will be available in game.

Ah thanks, I'll try, when possible. From available screens I can extrapolate, visually it is pretty decent depiction, of course Poland has quite diverse landscapes, it resembles some of them all right. If they used some Chernaruss-like assets for architecture... Well, there are areas in Poland (South-East mostly, near the border with Czech Republic and Slovakia, I guess) where such old architecture remnants still may be seen, but of course it's not typical, typical rural area depending on region is more or less, but rather modern, like this:

Spoiler

41442594490_55ecf6fdd2_o.jpg

1844468-wies-gmina-laka-wioska-657-323.j

F30.jpg

• Thanks 2

• At position [5029.81,2146.43,0.00143433] grass is growing through the building's floor.
  • Entering 2536bd78b80# 599551: guardtower_02_f.p3d is buggy like hell. At the end of the ladder I fall down 5 / 10 times.
  • At position [11675.4,7565.91,0.00124741] are a few misplaced manholes.
  • The lake "J(Y)antar" is missing the bunker full of scientists ( https://stalker.fandom.com/wiki/Yantar ;) )
  • The sliding doors of 25216f94b80# 2796738: barn_03_large_f.p3d have quite a low texture quality. That's an issue because the player looks directly at them from close distance when opening.
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, lexx said:

Generally I like the map. It looks good. Love the ambient details (forest sfx, etc.). Nice.

What I don't like is.... this:

2owa0Qn.png

These Arma2 objects are sticking out very hard. The above example is even worse, because it has detailed objects all around it and then you see stuff like its stairs, which are just horrible at this point. Not sure if the texture got a touchup, as I haven't played A2 in a long time, but the quality difference is very, very noticeable.

that't the Chernarus+ version of that chapel. you can see it's enterable, unlike the A2 version.

but in this case it seems to me, like there is a LOD issue with the roof.

i really like the look of this map.

one grain of salt i have found so far is, that you can't pass under 4 of the river bridges with a Speedboat HMG. all other boats, and even APCs are fine, but that damned tower on the boat blocks it from passing under.

Spoiler

664975DFC3416B46D977D7DEEDB1926A2C947D08

E0B24E72FD3AEA317AD9EC96F77580A4485EEE3B

07063F77784410A660E317D0C8B1F41805FC717B

80D4BD0751EFA2F210D84AB94178AA770C313414

i still have the hope for armed boats to be part of the new factions, but deep inside i'm sure that won't happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Probably you have someone for this and it would be fixed anyway, but here's some Polish language insight.

Yep, good catch! We found out a little bit too late for the trailer. But we're addressing it for the release 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DnA said:

Пожалуйста, используйте эту ветку, чтобы поделиться своими заметками о новом ландшафте Ливонии в Arma 3 Contact (доступном в Dev-Branch для тех, кто сделал предзаказ). Для конкретных отчетов об ошибках предпочтительным методом отчетности является Feedback Tracker . Не забывайте включать координаты, снимки экрана, экспортированные настройки Splendid Camera или простые сценарии воспроизведения, где это возможно. Общие отзывы о расширении обсуждаются в этой теме .

arma3_contact_livonia_00.jpg

Personally, I am sorry that the new map for "Arma3 Contact" - is not an island.

In particular, the borders of such maps (not islands) look always not good for such game as Arma.

The borders is usually a quadratic area, the existence of which (such form) is difficult to explain.

I always want to ask why is it not a circle or a rectangle? If it is a quadratic, then this form must be explained.

Minuses of non iseland map, that always bother me:

a) When a player located on the edge of the border of such a map, he will always see the void of the landscape bounded by a line.

It does not look natural what player can see - this is not looks as Arma in my view

b) When player flying to an air vehicle, from the height of flight the borders of such a map look even vorse.

If the border of the map were surrounded by a high fence, the existence of which could be explained by the plot of the campaign,

then it would be better.

Devs! please consider high fence for LEVONIA , which for example could have been erected in order to limit radiation contamination or for restrict the penetration into the zone of any third forces

Not a perfect solution, but still better than an invisible border.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Probably you have someone for this and it would be fixed anyway, but here's some Polish language insight. In the trailer we have this:

contact-plate.jpg

In the Polish part should be:

WKRACZASZ NA TEREN WOJSKOWY

NIE OPUSZCZAJ DROGI

NIE ZATRZYMUJ SIĘ I NIE WYCHODŹ Z POJAZDU

BEZWZGLĘDNIE PODPORZĄDKUJ SIĘ SŁUŻBOM WOJSKOWYM

I ZWOLNIJ IM DROGĘ W RAZIE POTRZEBY

NA PUNKCIE KONTROLNYM ZATRZYMAJ SWÓJ POJAZD

I OKAŻ SWOJE DOKUMENTY

(assuming no punctuation marks is actual thing on such plates, could be, also it is not impossible this is based on actual plate with same errors? 🙂 )

Erm, or should this go to the assets feedback?

Actually proper version was replaced by wrong one and then it's slipped under the radar even though it's right in your face thing. When we realized it's there, it was already to late to update trailer & dev branch. It's already fixed but unfortunately it will stay like that in trailer and haunt me forever :ghostface:

6 hours ago, tpw said:
  • Worldname is "Enoch", not "Livonia" 

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Island_Extensions

Enoch was code name for a terrain for long time and it's sort of reference to OFP island names 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, mickeymen said:

a) When a player located on the edge of the border of such a map, he will always see the void of the landscape bounded by a line.

Yeah, I wish that the clutter would continue beyond the map's borders, that would make it at least not stand out so harshly.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, reyhard said:

Enoch was code name for a terrain for long time and it's sort of reference to OFP island names

I'm really not sure if this is only for me but, since fn_respawnNone.sqf uses worldName to show the map name, so the Singleplayer death screen will show you ENOCH when you're dead. I feel this is awkward and I think it should show us 000000 \ LIVONIA on the screen. Offtopic though, same goes for Weferlingen.

• Like 1

Just now, Alwarren said:

Yeah, I wish that the clutter would continue beyond the map's borders, that would make it at least not stand out so harshly.

Exactly! 

For this reason, I suggested a hight fence.

This would at least be able to alleviate the situation for the infantryman’s gaze.

• Like 1

Good:

- fantastic map layout including a lot of interesting locations  (a few really spooky ones)

- new buildings taken from Chernarus + ( Small Supermarket, Police Station, Health Center, Radar Station and a lot more)

- most buildings have interiors (no furnitures though)

- amazing ambient sounds (especially at night...daytime need some ballancing)

- fantastic vegetation assets ( taken from Chernarus+) that look so much better than the A2 stuff

Could be better :

as mentioned by others before...

there should defentely be some modern buildings blended in...a modern petrol station at the main road maybe, a modern supermarket here and there some newer residential buildings as shown by Rydygier

representing a more modern or future (2035) look of east european countries...also maybe add a few of this typical appartement block buildings for some diversion ...

Bad :

still some very low rez textures here and there 

Some more modern buildings would be pretty neat but otherwise I'm loving the new terrain! FPS is kind of low in urban areas unfortunately - I am begging the Amsterdam team to not add furniture. People don't seem to realize that this really complicates things for mission makers and - furthermore - will cause even lower FPS because of draw calls, rendering, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AveryTheKitty said:

Some more modern buildings would be pretty neat but otherwise I'm loving the new terrain! FPS is kind of low in urban areas unfortunately - I am begging the Amsterdam team to not add furniture. People don't seem to realize that this really complicates things for mission makers and - furthermore - will cause even lower FPS because of draw calls, rendering, etc.

Any reason why the Chernarus+ buildings are such framerate killers? Can they get away with it in DayZ because the engine is more efficient?

2 minutes ago, tpw said:

Any reason why the Chernarus+ buildings are such framerate killers? Can they get away with it in DayZ because the engine is more efficient?

Not sure, my PC is also fairly old but I can usually run Altis, Stratis, Malden, and occasionally Tanoa just fine. Methinks it's because of the amount of textures like Tanoa's buildings; DayZ's engine is definitely more efficient, yes.

7 minutes ago, AveryTheKitty said:

Not sure, my PC is also fairly old but I can usually run Altis, Stratis, Malden, and occasionally Tanoa just fine. Methinks it's because of the amount of textures like Tanoa's buildings; DayZ's engine is definitely more efficient, yes.

I don't have a NASA supercomputer either, and can run most maps at 50+ fps. I tried turning textures to low and it made no difference. I wonder if the buildings aren't properly occluding stuff from rendering.

1 hour ago, POLPOX said:

I'm really not sure if this is only for me but, since fn_respawnNone.sqf uses worldName to show the map name, so the Singleplayer death screen will show you ENOCH when you're dead. I feel this is awkward and I think it should show us 000000 \ LIVONIA on the screen. Offtopic though, same goes for Weferlingen.

It should indeed return the displayName of the world from the config instead of just worldName. Can we get that fixed?

I'm really liking Livonia overall but one thing really rubs me wrong. A significant number of the buildings are only partially enterable, some will have barred doors on the inside, some (like a certain church that exists in at least 3 places on the map) simply only have one door that works to enter one small area of the building. Considering how few other assets will be added I had hoped for more for the map. Are there any plans to finish the interiors of the buildings in Livonia?

3 hours ago, Alwarren said:

I wish they'd make a tiling satout with a similar arrangement of fields as exist within the map proper.

10 hours ago, tpw said:
  • Pretty bad ground clutter popin.

Oh god, please not that again. ^^

Something could/should be learned from the Weferlingen terrain as I haven't noticed any ground clutter "popin" there.