klamacz

AI Driving - Feedback topic

I think the real question is can they actually follow the road if all the avoidance and collision detection has been disabled, if they can't then there's little point in anything else.

Also some guidance on how we should set up  things like Convoys other wise everyone will be doing something different and getting different results.

Maybe some official test mission would be a start so we have at least something to compare  with each other.

My last test two days ago was the worst ever, one vehicle just ran off in the wrong direction for over two hundred meters and then tuned directly into a house that was about 10 meters off the road, no other vehicles or AI present.

Another just went around in a 360degree circle for a couple of  loops before continuing. Most would just run wildly off road or try and take out all road side objects.

I've been testing small convoys involving different vehicles (all AI in the same group) on Bush's Taurus II. Granted, it has no roads, but a lot of rocks; and the AI did a pretty good job avoiding them and maintaining formation most of the time.

The only thing is that the lead vehicle wouldn't always wait for the rest. I'll have to run some tests on more conventional terrains, but I do feel improvements compared to my previous attempts.

EDIT : Small issue on DEV build : convoys often don't go to their next waypoint whenever there's a player in one of the vehicles.

I have to dismount/remount to have them move.

I think the real question is can they actually follow the road if all the avoidance and collision detection has been disabled, if they can't then there's little point in anything else.

Also some guidance on how we should set up  things like Convoys other wise everyone will be doing something different and getting different results.

Maybe some official test mission would be a start so we have at least something to compare  with each other.

My last test two days ago was the worst ever, one vehicle just ran off in the wrong direction for over two hundred meters and then tuned directly into a house that was about 10 meters off the road, no other vehicles or AI present.

Another just went around in a 360degree circle for a couple of  loops before continuing. Most would just run wildly off road or try and take out all road side objects.

Agreed.

How about a small and streamlined test missions pack (5-10) to cover all most often used scenarios, so the users, us, can compare (or the .log files we collect) the data inbetween & send it to devs for easy inspection?

So to say, an AI testing framework with predefined small scenarios helps greatly.

BIS, any response on this? I don't think we need promises or smth like that, we just need a discussion.

Agreed.

How about a small and streamlined test missions pack (5-10) to cover all most often used scenarios, so the users, us, can compare (or the .log files we collect) the data inbetween & send it to devs for easy inspection?

So to say, an AI testing framework with predefined small scenarios helps greatly.

BIS, any response on this? I don't think we need promises or smth like that, we just need a discussion.

Convoys are under reconstruction. 

I could share my test missions with you, but then you would be playing what I am playing, and finding same problems I already found. You guys and gals are amazing in finding ways how to break it (which is still not too hard), and already in this topic there was number of repro's which I didn't have on my list ;)

• Like 8

I hope you can reconstruct them soon. In particular, the convoy at the start of "Moral Fiber" campaign mission is acting quite hilariously. Funny up to the point you fail the mission because of it ("friendly fire will not be tolerated... courtesy of an APC ramming the vehicle I'm sitting in!).

EDIT: Later in the mission, it's worse. The second time you ride in a convoy, it stops about 50m from its destination, with a firefight (one you're supposed to help with, too) taking place right in front of it. You can't dismount until the entire convoy is arrayed neatly, which takes a lot of time.

Reminds me of course formation marching! At least they are following eachother. My problem lies with tanks in that they have severe difficulty on turns on any type of incline.

Before these attempts at fixing the AI driving, convoys were doomed if they were asked to drive in formation. So the vehicles should always have Formation=None to have any chance of succeeding.

It would seem that formations for vehicles are currently a copy of the infantry formation behaviour which will never work as there is rarely room for an infantry-style formation on forest roads, through towns etc. A new formation type is required or some rethink of what formation for a vehicle among other vehicles means.

• Like 3

Before these attempts at fixing the AI driving, convoys were doomed if they were asked to drive in formation. So the vehicles should always have Formation=None to have any chance of succeeding.

It would seem that formations for vehicles are currently a copy of the infantry formation behaviour which will never work as there is rarely room for an infantry-style formation on forest roads, through towns etc. A new formation type is required or some rethink of what formation for a vehicle among other vehicles means.

I say have a "formation" called road, which just orders and forces AI to drive on the road and keep say 50m distance from other vehicles on the road. But they will go off if a stopped vehicle is ahead or object is blocking path, just so they can drive around. An AI would remain on the road and following it if in combat or not, until they are ordered to leave the path. That way AI don't spaz out if they go into combat or on aware, they just keep going unlike they do now.

Also i'd suggest a vehicle combat state that would effect AI relation to taking fire well using vehicles. Thus you can choose to have AI speed up and leave well firing on the go (the realistic and proper response, normally) or stop the vehicle/s then all passengers will disembark and crew stays in to provide vehicle fire support (unless unarmed vehicles or gunner is dead).

• Like 1

Perhaps DEVs need to ask the army how they drive in convoy.  I can't recall being taught to ram the other vehicles, crash into road signs or even not move at all.

Perhaps DEVs need to ask the army how they drive in convoy.  I can't recall being taught to ram the other vehicles, crash into road signs or even not move at all.

What has the army to do with that? We are talking about programming an artificial intelligence. Car companies are investing millions in the development of algorithms for AI driving. All that BIS needs now is time for fine tuning.

• Like 1

I believe in you klamacz, you can do it !

• Like 4

Bug: You can't rebind the Keys to command the AI driver.

I removed all references to the arrow keys in usercontrolls, but the commands are still ordered when i press the arrow keys. The key for commanding the driver should be tied to vehicle movement (that leaves arrow keys for something more usefull... like rotating the turret fast, or changing zeroing more comfortably)

• Like 1

The AI seem to be totally drunk at the moment...

• Open any map, as long as it has roads.
  • Place a prowler with some dudes in it (I used the Syndikat guys).
  • Give them a MOVE waypoint at some distance (mine was 3 km away), set the formation speed to FULL.
  • Play as one of the passengers. Keep a bucket at hand in case you feel sick.

Long story short, the driver keeps turning left & right, even on long straight roads without any obstacles.

• Like 3

• Give them a MOVE waypoint at some distance (mine was 3 km away), set the formation speed to FULL.

Long story short, the driver keeps turning left & right, even on long straight roads without any obstacles.

Funnily enough I did the passenger thing too, coast to coast on Tanoa, in first person with TrackIR enabled, a horrific journey ensued.

Maybe BI could hire some of the taxi drivers from GTA5.   :lol:

• Like 2

Super stupid repro mission to be launched from Eden : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J1S463UMFqMXhmZ2tNa2d3UU0/view?usp=sharing

If you're a big boy and play with Sigma6's birds & bees, use this one : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J1S463UMFqZzczTWJMbHJib28/view?usp=sharing

You can play as the SUV passenger and puke. Or play as Mad Max and try to stop them (before they crash).

The amount of fun I'm having is obscene, I might actually turn this into a MP mode! :D

NB : there is a stupid intro text if you load it with 3den Enhanced. ;)

EDIT : Nailed them!

5fe6282c-6c32-4fda-a47e-1a67239af73b.jpg

• Like 2

Unfortunately, it seems like the release of Apex and its post-release support process has set the AI driving overhaul back.

Some input on current progress would be great. We don't anything visual, just a couple positive / negative words we can catch on and brag endlessly about :D (just kidding).

0jbKb1l.jpg

They didn't even bother trying to turn the corner, they drove 100M's from their start point, straight into the barricade... the other jackal drove off like his Pizza was getting cold !!

• Like 2

You're running the East End Royal Marine Black cab Taxi mod mate. That's the problem ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

AI should learn how to brake when they are too fast (above the maxSpeed config setting of the vehicle). That's one big cause why the AI can't take corners or has troubles steering. They just simply let it roll if there they are on a downward slope, often with bad consequences (selfinflicted mobility kill).

I've noticed that AI often get stuck weaving from left to right on the road - they'll initially swerve out of the way of something, then overcorrect all the way to the other side of the road, then overcorrect from that etc etc etc. I've pretty much stopped hitching rides in AI controlled vehicles for the time being.

They didn't even bother trying to turn the corner, they drove 100M's from their start point, straight into the barricade... the other jackal drove off like his Pizza was getting cold !!

I believe that for the new driving AI the vehicles need to have a config update, so custom vehicles (unless they already have that) won't work.

That's AFAIK.

• Like 1

I believe that for the new driving AI the vehicles need to have a config update, so custom vehicles (unless they already have that) won't work.

That's AFAIK.

Custom vehicles that do not define new properties for the new AI driving simply inherit them from their base classes.

Custom vehicles that do not define new properties for the new AI driving simply inherit them from their base classes.

Uhm, yeah obviously, but for one thing I don't know if the default base class has any data for this (AFAIR non-Apex vehicles didn't, like the pickup), and the data must match the vehicle in question.

All I'm saying is that using non-vanilla vehicles might not be a good idea for testing...

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 1