antonstruyk

@Ares - Modules expanding Zeus functionality - Release Thread

@AntonStruyk - thanks for the up-date

Agh! kinda liked that this didn't require any other mods...

If I choose not to use CBA, what features am I going to be unable to use?

Agh! kinda liked that this didn't require any other mods...

If I choose not to use CBA, what features am I going to be unable to use?

Right now only the Artillery Fire Mission module depends on CBA.

Hi AntonStruyk, thanks for the update! Looking forward to test it deeply!

As for Headless clients stuff (see previous page), you should take a look at Werthles Headless Kit. Basically it's a script that automatically checks if headless clients are present, and moves units to it. The script do its stuff every 30 seconds (it's an option you can change) so even units added via Zeus or other methods are passed to Headless clients. It's amazing!

The only limitation, right now is that there is no way to exclude only some units from being passed to HC, and sometimes it's important that some units remains local. Like special units in ALIVE missions, or just because having them local gives mission maker full editing capabilities. So I was thinking "they should help each other out", something like a module that you throw on a unit, a pop up is shown so you can choose between a list like "don't pass to HC - this unit OR his whole group OR Side"

Edited by markrev

Updated mod v1.8.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Anton Struyk , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

After i updated the previous version to the actual i am not able anymore to choose from the Menu with the execute commands after placed an empty vehicle. In previous version it was possible to choose from them (Fuel empty as example) after placed a vehicle and double klick on the Icon. Is there a workaround to get this to work again?

After i updated the previous version to the actual i am not able anymore to choose from the Menu with the execute commands after placed an empty vehicle. In previous version it was possible to choose from them (Fuel empty as example) after placed a vehicle and double klick on the Icon. Is there a workaround to get this to work again?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do that isn't working. Can you please clarify the steps you're following, the expected outcome, and the actual outcome?

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Hi AntonStruyk, thanks for the update! Looking forward to test it deeply!

As for Headless clients stuff (see previous page), you should take a look at Werthles Headless Kit. Basically it's a script that automatically checks if headless clients are present, and moves units to it. The script do its stuff every 30 seconds (it's an option you can change) so even units added via Zeus or other methods are passed to Headless clients. It's amazing!

The only limitation, right now is that there is no way to exclude only some units from being passed to HC, and sometimes it's important that some units remains local. Like special units in ALIVE missions, or just because having them local gives mission maker full editing capabilities. So I was thinking "they should help each other out", something like a module that you throw on a unit, a pop up is shown so you can choose between a list like "don't pass to HC - this unit OR his whole group OR Side"

Regarding all the HC stuff - there's another discussion regarding some work that has been done: https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/issues/159 ... Currently there are no plans to directly integrate third party HC scripts into Ares. If someone wants to write a custom module to interact with a third-party script and create an issue with the desired code (or submit a pull request for the new script in the 'extras' folder in the depot) I don't have any problem including it that way. Unfortunately, our squad doesn't use a HC so it's not high on my personal hit list.

nice job on the update. Love the fire mission. The bm-21 wont fire beyond 4km. Is this a game limitation or Ares?

Is it possible to note if min or max range parameters have been met?

Edited by gunterlund21

Please bring back the Save/Load Functions. They were working perfectly for me exept for the Generate Mission SQF you left, which is still not usable (unless I am doing something wrong).

Edited by Gerippe

Please bring back the Save/Load Functions. They where working perfectly for me exept for the Generate Mission SQF you left, which is still not usable (unless I am doing something wrong).

you can still load it with execute code in util tab so don't worry :)

Love the new artillery mission by grid co-ord, and it's slightly off target nature. Perfect for players calling in a fire mission to a Zeus GM. Can see this will have a lot of use from my guys!

That is something I would also LOVE. Currently when I am zeusing I try and give the suppression effect with vanilla remote control module but it removes you from controlling other units for the time being. I have no idea how to do it though, maybe you should open a thread in the scripting forum and help Anton out with the script. If your not willing to, let me know and I will create a thread.

Yeah, Zeus would then be able to simulate real behavior so much better. Suppress and flank -moves are basically impossible to make at the moment. Also what would´t be more fun than, as a player, trying to advance under constant enemy fire or get trapped in a building with bullets raining in. :) Lets hope Anton has the time to look at this. Oh, and Twakkie go ahead on opening the scripting thread. I suck at anything scripting related so would probably screw it up.

I am sure he will do it eventually when RHS comes out of Beta, because believe it or not they still are in Beta testing. Just go to github and and follow the steps to add it. It takes less than 15min.

Found it, thanks for the help!

Hi, I have a question.

In the Util tab is an option to create an composition. How does it work exactly? When I do it I get the message that I should check the RPT. but I don't really know what that is.

%appdata% in Windows Explorer, go up a level to local/Arma 3, order by last modified, it'l be in one of those .rpt files. No idea what to do with it though...

Alright thanks. Yeah I don't know the further procedure also. Another thing, how do I activate the RHS Reinforcements. Do I just drop the file in the PBO or is it more complicated?

Hi, I have a question.

In the Util tab is an option to create an composition. How does it work exactly? When I do it I get the message that I should check the RPT. but I don't really know what that is.

This is a module that can be used to generate the class file necessary for a composition that can be placed into the game. It's the module I use to generate all of the compositions in Ares. It's really intended for use by mod authors to prevent having to write the composition code by hand... What it does is generate the text required for the class and dumps it to the ARMA log file (the RPT)... It can then be copied from there into the mod's config file, recompiled, and it will be placeable... This is the thing I used to generate all of the roadblocks, bases, etc that are included in Ares.

Hi Anton (or anyone else that knows),

I recently downloaded ARES under the impression that I'd be able to create my missions using Zeus, and then save them to either play later, or continue editing. The numerous lines of code that are generated after I use the generate SQF module don't seem to do anything in game. Baring in mind I really have no idea when it comes to editing, there's probably something obvious I am missing, so I am hoping that someone can help me! :D When I generated the SQF, I chose to have everything copied, and I then copy/pasted the code into a notepad document for later use. I came back to the game after an hour two and tried to load the mission I made so I could finish it off but I can't figure out what to do. I've tried using the "execute code" module, and simply pasting the code into there, I have tried making a mission folder with the code placed into an Init.sqf file, and I have also tried copying the code into a mission.sqm file (Which actually crashes my game when I try load it). Have I misunderstood the save/load feature, or am I doing something wrong here? I hate using the 2D editor to place units and create bases etc, so this seems like an easier option. I'm hoping I am just being stupid and doing something wrong with the code that's generated, but either way, I'd appreciate some help because I am completely clueless! :(

Hi Anton (or anyone else that knows),

I recently downloaded ARES under the impression that I'd be able to create my missions using Zeus, and then save them to either play later, or continue editing. The numerous lines of code that are generated after I use the generate SQF module don't seem to do anything in game. Baring in mind I really have no idea when it comes to editing, there's probably something obvious I am missing, so I am hoping that someone can help me! :D When I generated the SQF, I chose to have everything copied, and I then copy/pasted the code into a notepad document for later use. I came back to the game after an hour two and tried to load the mission I made so I could finish it off but I can't figure out what to do. I've tried using the "execute code" module, and simply pasting the code into there, I have tried making a mission folder with the code placed into an Init.sqf file, and I have also tried copying the code into a mission.sqm file (Which actually crashes my game when I try load it). Have I misunderstood the save/load feature, or am I doing something wrong here? I hate using the 2D editor to place units and create bases etc, so this seems like an easier option. I'm hoping I am just being stupid and doing something wrong with the code that's generated, but either way, I'd appreciate some help because I am completely clueless! :(

Paste the generated code on pastebin or something similar and link it here. Maybe there's something wrong with the generated SQL. You should just be able to paste it into the 'execute code' module (or an init.sqf file as you mentioned) to have it execute and build the mission again.

Keep in mind it DOESN'T add the created objects to Zeus automatically so if you're just looking at the object list after recreating the level it won't show anything until you add the objects (there's a utility module for it).

It's a bit complicated, but it's usable once you get the flow down. I've been using MCC to export to sqf, but I believe it's the same function as in Ares.

Steps:

1) Do as you had already done, and put some units/objects down in Zeus, and save to SQF to clipboard with Ares.

2) In the 2d editor, create and save a new blank mission, name it whatever you want (I usually name mine just 'export').

3) Navigate to your missions folder for arma in windows (i believe the default is user/mydocuments/arma3 or something like that), and find the new folder for the blank mission you just saved.

4) Open the SQF of that mission in a text editor, select all, and overwrite it all with the code that Ares saved to the clipboard. Save the file.

5) Back in Arma, in the 2d mission editor, reload this mission file.

You should see all the placed objects you put down in Zeus inside the 2d editor now. You can either save this mission out as the base for a new mission, or if you want to import it into a preexisting mission, open that mission and select 'merge' and choose this new one. I sometimes have to do this a few times as I inevitably forget about some group of soldiers or base that I need to add, save out, and remerge back into my original mission.

I'm not sure if Ares does this different (anyone know?), but with the MCC export function, it doesn't save things like Modules or unit inventories, or waypoint settings (the waypoints themselves yes but not their options), so you usually have to go through in the 2d editor and fix that stuff up.

I think that's mostly it, someone can tell me if there's anything I missed or have anything to add.

Edit: whoops, didn't see the post by Anton first, that's pretty neat you can just throw it into execute code and it will generate the mission again in there. Maybe i have the wrong steps here if it works differently to the MCC sqf export?

Edited by Soulis6

Thanks Anton, I didn't realise I had to use a different module. Not sure why that didn't occur to me at the time... Simply using the add objects to zeus function after executing the code worked and the units are back. It's great to know that I can do this in zeus without having to remake the mission each time I want to play it, but is there a way to save the code in a mission file to make something more permanent that I can then load up and finish off in the 2d editor?

Also, thanks for the help Soulis, though that didn't seem to work. That said I honestly know nothing about sqf files, so it's possible I am doing it wrong! :D

It's a bit complicated, but it's usable once you get the flow down. I've been using MCC to export to sqf, but I believe it's the same function as in Ares.

Steps:

1) Do as you had already done, and put some units/objects down in Zeus, and save to SQF to clipboard with Ares.

2) In the 2d editor, create and save a new blank mission, name it whatever you want (I usually name mine just 'export').

3) Navigate to your missions folder for arma in windows (i believe the default is user/mydocuments/arma3 or something like that), and find the new folder for the blank mission you just saved.

4) Open the SQF of that mission in a text editor, select all, and overwrite it all with the code that Ares saved to the clipboard. Save the file.

5) Back in Arma, in the 2d mission editor, reload this mission file.

You should see all the placed objects you put down in Zeus inside the 2d editor now. You can either save this mission out as the base for a new mission, or if you want to import it into a preexisting mission, open that mission and select 'merge' and choose this new one. I sometimes have to do this a few times as I inevitably forget about some group of soldiers or base that I need to add, save out, and remerge back into my original mission.

I'm not sure if Ares does this different (anyone know?), but with the MCC export function, it doesn't save things like Modules or unit inventories, or waypoint settings (the waypoints themselves yes but not their options), so you usually have to go through in the 2d editor and fix that stuff up.

I think that's mostly it, someone can tell me if there's anything I missed or have anything to add.

Edit: whoops, didn't see the post by Anton first, that's pretty neat you can just throw it into execute code and it will generate the mission again in there. Maybe i have the wrong steps here if it works differently to the MCC sqf export?

MCC saves its output in '.SQM' format - which is the same as the mission files, but is a lot more complicated and pretty much unwritable and unreadable by normal humans. Ares saves its data in '.SQF' format, which is the generic scripting language meant to be written and read by humans. It's treated just the same as any other script - meaning you can execute it like any script code (dump in in init.sqf, throw it in a function, or use the Ares 'Run Script' modules to execute it on-the-fly).

Unfortunately, since it's a different format you can't just drop it into the mission.sqm file like the MCC-generated code and expect the objects to show up in the 2D editor - in fact the game gets upset if you do this with SQF code and probably crashes. The tradeoff is that you can actually debug the generated script fairly easily, and since you can rebuild using Ares on the fly (by pasting and running the code with a module) you can edit them as if Zeus was a 3-d editor that way.

If you want the objects to show up in a mission without you having to do anything (assuming you have access to the mission itself) you can:

1) create a .sqf file in the mission folder (say, 'setupMyObjects.sqf')

2) Dump all of the Ares-Generated script into the 'setupMyObjects.sqf' file and save it

3) Create an init.sqf file (or, open an existing one)

4) Insert the following into the init.sqf:

if (isServer) then { [] execVM "setupMyObjects.sqf"; };

When you run the mission the server (which is either your machine in SP or locally hosted multiplayer, or the dedicated server) will run the script and create the objects on startup automatically. They will not show up in the 2D editor though. This means you cannot have zeus-placed units interact with 2d-editor placed events or triggers - an unfortunate downside.

The reason this functionality is available at all is so that you can do all of the unit placement and setup for various scenarios offline and then easily integrate it into a mission on the fly or convert it into a script that can be saved and executed dynamically later (for example, I use this in a mission to randomly add objects and patrols I've created in Zeus simply by randomly selecting the SQF files to execute at runtime). If you're looking for something simply to pull objects out into the 2d editor, there are other solutions for that. MCC is one of them, and I believe there are some more focused 3d editor mods as well. They have their own downsides in that most of them generate code that can't be added to an existing mission on-the-fly. Since Ares is aimed at ZEUS functionality, which is all about adapting to players, being able to add these pre-setup mission features and placements on-the-fly is (IMO) a priority over exporting in a 2-D editor compatible format.

Whoops! Right you are! For some reason I read sqf and my brain changed it to sqm.

That's actually really cool, i didn't realize this feature was in Ares. I will have to try that, could be super useful in caching away parts of the map or loading preset groups enemies or things like that.

Do you think there's anyway this could be adaptable to be used to create custom item/prop/unit compositions? Kind of like how it works now, but the global placement would be placed down by Zeus, with the props/units retaining their spacing?

Thanks for the explanation of how it works though, great stuff!

Actually MCC saves into SQM or SQF depends how the user want it to be saved. Just wanted to correct that.

Great work on Ares.