antonstruyk

@Ares - Modules expanding Zeus functionality - Release Thread

not sure what make this but seems like ares get numb and unusable in the middle of the game play.

V.1.7.0 Released

* Save/Load - Add module to export current mission objects to SQF script (including AI, Groups and markers).

* Util - Add module to execute custom code on the server, locally, or on all machines.

* General - Fixed an issue where custom modules that caused an error would leave a logic object around.

* Deprecated - 'Spawn Custom Mission Objects' was removed (use custom modules instead).

* Deprecated - New SQF saving will replace existing copy-paste functionality in 1.8.0.

The SQF generated from the new 'Generate Mission SQF' module contains information on most objects that are editable by zeus. This includes AI units, groups (including combat modes and speed), empty vehicles and mission objects and map markers. This SQF can be saved to a script file and called automatically on map start to populate the mission by adding it to the missions init.sqf (or any other .sqf file that is run). It can also be pasted into the new 'Execute Code' util modules to regenerate the mission on-the fly.

As this replaces the most common use-case for the existing 'Save/Load' functionality, my plan is to deprecate that system (meaning it will be removed in 1.8.0). This is a heads up that if you have data you rely on in the old 'Save/Load' format you should re-export it as SQF or some other means. Unfortunately, the SQF format does not support the 'paste in new position' workflow, so that will no longer be available.

Updated version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

not sure what make this but seems like ares get numb and unusable in the middle of the game play.

I had this a couple of days ago too, you place an Ares Module down and it doesn't do anything, no dialog or anything. Regular zeus spawning still functions though. Strange...

Is it possible to create a module to delete dead bodys and destroyed vehicles on map?

Out of curiosity, in what ways are the currently available methods of deleting available in Zeus are not sufficient?

I have a suggestion! Well, more of a request really. A module that can put squads under the command of players, so that they can be assigned forces by the Zeus to order around in High Command. Imagine being a player and having recced some enemy location and you ask the zeus for a certain kind of troops and then using Ares, the zeus can easily send in some troops using the Reinforcements module. When they are on the ground, zeus can give them to the player using this new Add to High Command module and the players can manuever their platoons. Sound good? :)

Great job Anton! Ares keeps getting better and better.

I'm wondering, is there any plan of implementing an "init line" into the unit editing window?

The F3 framework adds it and it's wery useful.

Thanks fot the reply.

I'm wondering, is there any plan of implementing an "init line" into the unit editing window?

The F3 framework adds it and it's wery useful.

Not sure what you mean, we don't add anything directly. But by default F3 enables the debug console for logged-in admins, which also enables the init window when editing units as ZEUS.

Oh. I didn't realise that. Nevermind my suggestion then and thanks for the explenation.

Hey, any documentation on SQL export? I tried it and it only shows the copy/paste window with object placements...not full SQF like i would expecT?

I have a suggestion! Well, more of a request really. A module that can put squads under the command of players, so that they can be assigned forces by the Zeus to order around in High Command. Imagine being a player and having recced some enemy location and you ask the zeus for a certain kind of troops and then using Ares, the zeus can easily send in some troops using the Reinforcements module. When they are on the ground, zeus can give them to the player using this new Add to High Command module and the players can manuever their platoons. Sound good? :)

I haven't tried it, but does it not allow you to group AI with players if you CTRL-Drag the AI unit on top of a player (that is, the same way you would normally group AI in Zeus with other AI)?

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Oh. I didn't realise that. Nevermind my suggestion then and thanks for the explenation.

Well, regarding your suggestion - I plan to pass the same parameters to the 'Execute Code' modules that I'm passing to the custom modules. That should allow you to run custom code on a specific unit or at a specific place on the map without having to register a custom module for it ahead of time.... Right now you can kind of hack that together by doing the following:

1) Drop the 'Execute Code (Local)' module into the mission.

2) Enter code for a custom module that does what you want on the unit (for example: ["My Stuff", "Kill Unit", { (_this select 1) setDamage 1; }] call Ares_fnc_RegisterCustomModule; )

3) Execute the code

4) Close and re-open the Zeus UI (this causes the UI to refresh and the newly registered custom module to be loaded)

5) Open the new 'My Stuff' folder and drop the newly registerd module on the unit.

In the next version you will be able to do:

1) Drop the 'Execute Code (Local)' moduel on the unit

2) Enter the code you want to run with the same set of params as the Custom module would take: i.e. (_this select 1) setDamage 1;

3) Run the code

See https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/wiki/Extras for info on the custom modules. The 'Execute Code' modules are extremely powerful, and combining them with the ability to quickly define custom modules on the fly is pretty damn awesome for writing mission-specific code on the fly.

(This has also decreased the iteration time for me to make new modules substantially. All new functionality will be added to Ares using 'custom modules' since it's 1000x easier to maintain than the normal BIS way of adding things).

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

There's no specific documentation on SQF exporting right now. It operations on all of the objects that Zeus can currently edit (so you'll need to use the Util -> 'Add objects to Zeus' module to make things editable if they aren't already). The SQF should show up in that dialog (the same way the old copy-to-clipboard module did). You can either save it to an SQF file for your mission, or rebuild it later using the 'Execute Code' modules (either the 'Local' or 'Server' versions).

There was a discussion of this in an issue here as well: https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/issues/188

Just wanted to say thanks for all your work, and especially for those Custom Modules, already using a lot of those, for starting custom functions in our Zeus games.

I am having the oddest issue and I post it here because it seems to be particularly related to the FOB compositions by Vernei within Ares. I created an ALiVE mission and was getting the error 'no entry bin\config.bin/cfgworlds.chernarus' but I couldn't figure out where from so I started reverse engineering the mission. For some reason, it always occurs exactly when I reinstate the Ares FOB Composition I had placed. Any ideas? It's very strange. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Please disregard this post. After another great deal of testing, my problem is somewhere within AiA Terrain Pack, my mistake. Keep up the great work.

Edited by RC Ironside

Ares module freeze in this day, anyone having problem like me?

I fully realize that ZLT Fast rope is it's own development and questions about it are appropriate for it's thread... but I want to ask something here because, well, I am trying to use it with Zeus-Ares.

It doesn't work. Die on ground contact, not even falling. So the questions are 1) has anyone ever gotten this script to work with an AI helo that you control thru Zeus and 2)...

Please add this as a feature. The added functionality of Ares is so great and this feature would really just cement its utility.

OK so it wasn't a question but rather a flat out request. Sorry.

I don't have any plans to implement fast-roping myself, there are already other implementations out there (the one you mention is one of them) so re-implementing it in Ares isn't a priority. One of the main goals of making the custom module support in Ares is so that, if you wanted to, mission designers can add their own Ares modules to interact with mission-specific scripts like this more easily. See this page in the Wiki for more information: https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/wiki/Extras#defining-custom-modules

Thanks for this extremly awesome expansion for Zeus! Having lots of fun with it, simply makes things ALOT easier :)

While playing I came up with some feature ideas which I could really use in future sessions, maybe you can think about it:

1) Direct Order:

Infantry: Holding down Shift while right-clicking will give AI an order they won't ignore (even if under enemy fire). Could be used to make AI retreat during the battle or to sprint to a specific objective while having enemy contact.

Vehicles: Vehicles/Aircrafts will not flee when using this command. Using this order on an vehicle will also keep infantry from getting out while the vehicle is still moving. (Useful to get infantry to an specific area before having them dismount)

2) AI Inventory:

Is it possible to modify the edit/paste function of units that already comes with Zeus? Because that function doesn't copy over changed inventories (for example you edit the loadout of an AI unit with Zeus Arsenal).

3) AI Behaviour - Sit down/Relax:

(Could probably be copied from the Surrender command:) Infantry sits down (relaxed, but weapon ready) until alarmed by enemies.

Again, thanks for your work and I am looking to see future updates :)

Edited by Buzztron

Hi there,

don't know if it has been asked before, but could you please tell me what script you use for the occupation function?

The Infantry Occupy House by Zenophon doesn't work on everything else, but Altis and Stratis. And your version gets the guys in the house on every map... Where's the difference, maybe you should pass along your improvement to Zenophon? Would surely be great for all to have that in script form.

And thanks for one of the best mods since Zeus came out.

Hi there,

don't know if it has been asked before, but could you please tell me what script you use for the occupation function?

The Infantry Occupy House by Zenophon doesn't work on everything else, but Altis and Stratis. And your version gets the guys in the house on every map... Where's the difference, maybe you should pass along your improvement to Zenophon? Would surely be great for all to have that in script form.

And thanks for one of the best mods since Zeus came out.

The occupy house function is right here. Also for a more broken down list of changes you can look here.

Anton did a fix described as "fix line endings" that I do not have the time to dig entirely through but I think was largely a formatting change.

To my knowledge the only other tweaks were to the AI behavior after they are already placed in the buildings so that they will still turn and engage targets inside the building in line 132-134 region using forcespeed 0 instead of dostop or disableAI "Move" as well as using doWatch instead of lookat on line 131.

Thanks for the well written answer, I forgot that Ares is on github, otherwise I would have searched it for myself. Sorry for that. Was already pretty late when I wrote that.

if (isClass (configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "Ares")) then
{
   // Ares is loaded, register the custom module.
   ["My Category", "My Module", { [player] execVM "client\player\zeus\test.sqf"; }] call Ares_fnc_RegisterCustomModule;
};

test.sqf

_object = _this select 1;

if (isPlayer _object) then
{

[[[], "client\player\zeus\test_script.sqf"], "BIS_fnc_execVM", _object] call BIS_fnc_MP;
};

This creates error:

[[[], "client\player\ze>
15:34:17   Error Undefined variable in expression: _object
15:34:17 File C:\Users\cat\Documents\Arma 3\missions\cat_zeus.Altis\client\player\zeus\test.sqf, line 30
15:34:29 Error in expression <bject = _this select 1;

What is wrong with this?