antonstruyk

@Ares - Modules expanding Zeus functionality - Release Thread

Whoops! Right you are! For some reason I read sqf and my brain changed it to sqm.

That's actually really cool, i didn't realize this feature was in Ares. I will have to try that, could be super useful in caching away parts of the map or loading preset groups enemies or things like that.

Do you think there's anyway this could be adaptable to be used to create custom item/prop/unit compositions? Kind of like how it works now, but the global placement would be placed down by Zeus, with the props/units retaining their spacing?

Thanks for the explanation of how it works though, great stuff!

I used to have a proprietary format that allowed for this, but that was deprecated in 1.7.0 and removed in 1.8.0 (see this ticket here: https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/issues/188 ) because it was a pain to maintain and debug. It was especially difficulty to add new features (like waypoints and marker support). Adding this in a generic way to the SQF code isn't really feasible (the generated code would be just as complex as the old system) and so it isn't in the plan ATM.

That said, if you have more compositions that you would like to see in Ares I'd love to add more community made stuff. Follow the instructions here to submit your own compositions for inclusion: https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/wiki/Contributing-To-Ares#submitting-compositions

Edited by AntonStruyk

Hi Anton,

So a couple of pages back someone mentioned that it would be great to allow the AI to suppress an area using ares. Some guys over at the Mission Editing & Scripting section directed me to this: SAMO Squad Action Menu -

It allows the user to suppress and area using your squad. If we could figure out how to impliment this in zeus it will be a glorious day!

Cheers

Twak

Hey there! I think this question was answered last page, but I'm super noobie to some things and wanted to ask.

If I build a mission, and want to save it, I use the generate command, then I use the execute code module and paste it all in, that should load it all back, right?

There's 3 execute codes, I'd assume for coop I'd want all machines?

Sorry if this was answered and I'm too dense to get it first try!

Hey there! I think this question was answered last page, but I'm super noobie to some things and wanted to ask.

If I build a mission, and want to save it, I use the generate command, then I use the execute code module and paste it all in, that should load it all back, right?

There's 3 execute codes, I'd assume for coop I'd want all machines?

Sorry if this was answered and I'm too dense to get it first try!

In coop you'd want either server or local (probably server would be best if you're not doing anything fancy with AI locally). Running it on all machines would have every client execute the code, which would make a copy of each unit/object for each person connected - probably not what you want.

In coop you'd want either server or local (probably server would be best if you're not doing anything fancy with AI locally). Running it on all machines would have every client execute the code, which would make a copy of each unit/object for each person connected - probably not what you want.

Okay thank you very very much! Loving Ares, it's made me and my mates Coop zeus sessions 100x better!

Agree with everyone else, this mod rocks.

I run a long term Zeus military-RPG type campaign, with about 5-7 players, and it would be a much much bigger pain to get everything working right without this mod. I have about 20 functions hooked up to the custom module feature, and I use most of the built in modules every session, especially Teleport, Equipment (for removing those pesky NVGs), Garrison, and Artillery.

Thanks for your awesome work on this!

Okay, after some guidance here.

Up until the recent updates, I used the save/load part of the Ares module to paste objects back onto the map (such as compounds i'd spent a few hours making) so that I could have dynamic missions made in minutes as opposed to the old method of making a mission and then loading that onto a server. I created a template of an empty mission so that Zeus could create pre-made stuff quickly.

Now with the latest updates I am unable to work out how to do this, I am unable to work out from the Github stuff exactly if its been completely removed or simply changed.

Is it still possible for me to paste all my pre-saved stuff into a live multiplayer game or is all that work I done wasted???

Also any pointer as to exactly how the new save/load module works?

Regards

Rich

Hi Anton,

So a couple of pages back someone mentioned that it would be great to allow the AI to suppress an area using ares...

I have a potential solution to this using the B_TargetSoldier unit instead of some sort of dofire command.  Not sure how it'll work, but it's worth a little testing.

Okay, after some guidance here.

Up until the recent updates, I used the save/load part of the Ares module to paste objects back onto the map (such as compounds i'd spent a few hours making) so that I could have dynamic missions made in minutes as opposed to the old method of making a mission and then loading that onto a server. I created a template of an empty mission so that Zeus could create pre-made stuff quickly.

Now with the latest updates I am unable to work out how to do this, I am unable to work out from the Github stuff exactly if its been completely removed or simply changed.

Is it still possible for me to paste all my pre-saved stuff into a live multiplayer game or is all that work I done wasted???

Also any pointer as to exactly how the new save/load module works?

Regards

Rich

1) Modules -> Save/Load -> Generate Mission SQM

2) Choose parameters and copy all text generated

3) Modules -> Util -> Execute Code (Server)

4) Paste copied text

I'm not getting nearly enough sleep so hopefully that is all coherent and helpful.

Just as we have the ability to drop Arsenal on an object... what about the ability to drop the code for the Creation factory part of R3F Logistics?  I'm trying to figure out the code myself but its kind of above my ability at the moment.

Maybe somebody has been industrious and done this already or perhaps I can inspire a scripter to take on the challenge.

Okay I have been playing around with v1.8.0 

I have found the Ares mod a great tool for my Zeus missions, especially the being about to paste pre-made stuff onto a live mission, it simply mean't that I could create missions within a couple of minutes as opposed to spending the ages creating something whilst people are anxiously waiting. 

Now since the v1.8.0 update, and having worked out (thanks above) how to generate the code, I have placed the objects and clicked on the generate code button, saved the code and then once in mission have pasted said code into the execute code(server) box. Great...or at least I thought, the problem I have is this doesn't work...well it does, but it only pastes about half of the objects, meaning everything is just incomplete (missing fortifications etc). I initially thought it was because I was placing AI and marking their patrols and so I changed this to objects and empty vehicles. Again it did not work properly so I did it with simply just objects. I pasted the code and still only half the objects appeared. 

I have tried various options, limiting the size from entire map to 1km, not having any markers, Ai, empty vehicles..... I have even tried using dedicated servers, proper servers and just in the editor (which is where I had the most success). I created a basic template, running no other mods other than CBA and Ares, thinking it was a conflicting mod that I was using. I have even gone as far as re-downloading the mod, thinking it might be corrupted.

Am I doing this right... or is this mod simply broken????

I have tried searching for this problem without much luck, so thanks in advance for your comments.  

Regards

Any idea why it will not actually save stuff?

I placed some things down and when i press the try the genere missio .sqf button the clipboard will not show anything at all. The only thing it does show (if i enable it) is markers.

I have placed some BLUFOR, INDIE AI and some static things like car wrecks and checkpoints.

For those of you having issues pasting code you've copied out of the 'Generate mission SQF' module - two things:

1) There is an issue with AAF units currently - https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/issues/200- You can fix the generated script by replacing the instances of 'GUER' with 'independent'.

2) If you don't have AAF units or continue to have issues, can you put the generated SQF in pastebin (or something similar) and link it here so we can see what's wrong with it?

hey. :)

I have a question about installing this: we are running a coop dedicated server. Do I need to install ares on the server? Do we also need to install ares on all the clients, or can I just install it on the one client that will actually be using zeus?

Ares is designed to work with dedicated servers which may be running missions that allow JIP and respawn. The new functionality it is aimed at running with trusted players in a structured mission and is not recommended for general 'public server' play.

As of V.1.8.0 Ares requires @CBA_A3 for some functionality. Please ensure it is running alongside @Ares if you are using Zeus. Clients that aren't running @Ares (e.g. non-zeus players) do not need to run @CBA_A3.

I'm assuming this means only the client that will be zeus actually needs ares?

Edit: I've isntalled ares. Can I get the reinforcements module to work with RHS? (so that rhs units get spawned?) :)

hey. :)

I have a question about installing this: we are running a coop dedicated server. Do I need to install ares on the server? Do we also need to install ares on all the clients, or can I just install it on the one client that will actually be using zeus?

I'm assuming this means only the client that will be zeus actually needs ares?

Edit: I've isntalled ares. Can I get the reinforcements module to work with RHS? (so that rhs units get spawned?) :)

The Ares bikey needs to be in the keys folder of the server so that you can join with it running, other than that, it is purely client-side.

• Like 1

I'm having a bit of a problem with the RegisterCustomModule on a dedicated server. I had been previously using a locally hosted game, not an actual dedicated server (though it's still on my machine), and everything had been working great with the custom modules. However now on the server, the modules show up, but when dropped down they don't actually do anything. They stick around in the Zeus entity list, and don't seem to call the code they're registered to. 

Do you have any ideas why this might be happening? I can call the code manually with the debug console and it works fine, along with all the other standard Ares special functions, it's just the custom modules. 

I really hope I can get those to work again, I have a ton of them and use them all the time, they're really helpful.

Hi AntonStruyk, thanks for the update! Looking forward to test it deeply!

As for Headless clients stuff (see previous page), you should take a look at Werthles Headless Kit. Basically it's a script that automatically checks if headless clients are present, and moves units to it. The script do its stuff every 30 seconds (it's an option you can change) so even units added via Zeus or other methods are passed to Headless clients. It's amazing!

The only limitation, right now is that there is no way to exclude only some units from being passed to HC, and sometimes it's important that some units remains local. Like special units in ALIVE missions, or just because having them local gives mission maker full editing capabilities. So I was thinking "they should help each other out", something like a module that you throw on a unit, a pop up is shown so you can choose between a list like "don't pass to HC - this unit OR his whole group OR Side"

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do that isn't working. Can you please clarify the steps you're following, the expected outcome, and the actual outcome?

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Regarding all the HC stuff - there's another discussion regarding some work that has been done: https://github.com/astruyk/Ares/issues/159 ... Currently there are no plans to directly integrate third party HC scripts into Ares. If someone wants to write a custom module to interact with a third-party script and create an issue with the desired code (or submit a pull request for the new script in the 'extras' folder in the depot) I don't have any problem including it that way. Unfortunately, our squad doesn't use a HC so it's not high on my personal hit list.

Just wanted to say, I've put up a module version of the headless client script here (complete with module to designate non-HC units):

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/184485-werthles-headless-module/

Not sure if you'd like to include this in your project somehow or not, but if you do, let me know and we could work out the best way to do it.

Trying this. Hoping to install this in our server. 😀

Hi,

I'm working on a mod that automatically makes players Zeus based on a GUID whitelist (without the need of having the Zeus modules pre-placed in the mission). The mod works, but the players don't have the Ares modules available in Zeus. Any idea how to fix that or add the modules manually?

The mod basically works like this running as a preInit function:

if (isServer) then {
   private "_module1";

_module1 = (createGroup west) createUnit ["ModuleCurator_F", [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
   _module1 setVariable ["showNotification", false, true];
   _module1 setVariable ["birdType", "", true];
   _module1 setVariable ["Owner", "YOUR_GUID_HERE", true];
   _module1 setVariable ["Addons", 3, true];
   _module1 setVariable ["Forced", 0, true];   
}; 

Nevermind, solved it - solution is pretty simple use group "logic" instead of "west":

if (isServer) then {
   private "_module1";

_module1 = (createGroup logic) createUnit ["ModuleCurator_F", [0,0,0], [], 0, "NONE"];
   _module1 setVariable ["showNotification", false, true];
   _module1 setVariable ["birdType", "", true];
   _module1 setVariable ["Owner", "YOUR_GUID_HERE", true];
   _module1 setVariable ["Addons", 3, true];
   _module1 setVariable ["Forced", 0, true];   
}; 

Conen, do you plan to release your mod? It's imho something which is missing in Ares yet, because one needs to have access to Zeus and a lot of Armaholic/ Steam Workshop missions don't give you that.

In comparison the MCC Sandbox mod can be used in every mission. So one can have a look if the mission is actually working (i.e. see if enemies spawned at all, because often they don't on dedicated servers...). Or teleport someone if need be. Or cheat an arsenal when you don't agree with the given equipment. I know that these options would probably be abused on public servers, but in a private group with trusted players it's really handy and helpful. 

What do you think about giving logged in admins access to Zeus by default, whithout the need to place a module in the mission?

• Like 1

^I second that, Ares is just a starter of what can be done with Zeus so hoping more and more mods for Zeus will be made to expand it :)

Would it be possible to add this script: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27881(3CB Kill Zeagle) 

Also discussed here on the BIS forums: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/173302-remove-player-is-now-zeus-notification/

3CB Kill Zeagle isn't compatible with 'new' (post 1.48, iirc) versions of the game because the way it worked (overwrite a bis_fnc_* function) has since been disabled. However BIS have added a way to hide the model and notification in vanilla however I'm not sure if that can still be done after mission init. Also, some people might want the notification, or even the eagle.

A small request;Could you make it also crew ships, Garrison it ?  Add some places on deck for static crewmembers to man Sam`s or Mates in LHPD?  A user placemarker that you simply place onto the ships hull where you want a crewman to stand.

Or add a Uav to the mission if we forget to put it in the mission?

To create a way to make the Ai slow down an advancing assult by adding zones of resistance that finds out where the humans are and make it neccesery to work together and not cluster in one place.

Make them use mecanized assets and dual jets to take down an area,waves of to dangerous enemies for troops to go do it alone,forcing combined forces.

What about "Joint Forces" addons?  Some sort of force that act as bodyguards againt armour,or fly photo-recon missons?

Jtac that sends info over radio?   Immersion by adding chance of mortar or artillary attack near players.Stuff that doesen`t harm anyone,but make planes fly lower than usual,and attacking assets from a "pool" of non-combat stuff-like ammo-transports,motor-bikes

armoured ambulances,helicopters that try to evac key enemy personel.

"Create zone of resistance" ,spawn loot near a 2-person teams that is ahead of the rest,or make a enemy helicopter land due to malfunction near you,to be used for a ambush from inside the enemy camp.

It is perccived as their own by enemy,so it will be possible to do some exiting ,new gameplay.

Can you make player look like "undercover agents"dressed in their uniform?

Snow maps,with blizzard,AP-mines that are in the buildings,cars that suddenly explode inside of captured base.Spawn Sam-site.