Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

Amazing you have come a long way sir. Thank you for the more authentic sounds!!

There are already mods that simulate hearing loss (AGM) so if JSRS had it aswell, it would cause some weird sound issues I think.

Oh ok, thanks for the tip.

Loving the snap sounds by the way, the snap about 10-20 meters away sounds perfect. Real close though, missing a bit of whizzing. Could whizz at random times, would make it actually sound like hot lead.

That video.....LJ I'm not sure if I've ever loved another man more.... cant wait.

Those bullethits are amazing! Do you have some for glass too?

Also you should definately check out the devbranch. They added some really nice and good soundfeatures mainly for helicopters (in preparation for the new Helis).

Good work on the bullet hit effects.

Even though you are not on the devbranch LJ, I think you should lurk in the dev-branch section of the forum, and especially the audio thread, so that you have some idea of what BI is doing with the vanilla game. There are plenty of audio changes coming.

Those hits on the concrete/brick/whatever wall doesn't sound too good. It sounds like there are bricks falling on the ground and not like something is hitting the wall. I understand it's just a test and the implementation is sounding very nice :)

The reason why I asked, LJ, is because the new/different sounds for in-cockpit, out-of-cockpit and sat-on-skid positions add a whole new layer of immersion.

What I meant (and you already answered) was if you were going to add your own sounds to that?

If you do, please lower the volume for the people on the skids, the vanilla one is louder than just being outside the helo for some reason.

the vanilla one is louder than just being outside the helo for some reason.

Well... Your in an open helicopter like that, it's gonna be quite loud. Personally I love all the new Vanilla sounds for helicopters in Dev Branch. The added sounds actually don't need changing I feel it's just that good. However, the engine sounds could still be from JSRS, as those are probably more realistic.

Yes agreed...the audio has come a long way and has been getting a lot better IMO. Can't wait for this however :)

New helicopter sounds in 1.32 are horrible. They broke all the immersion. Hope this addon will fix this.

Edited by Kukus

Don´t know if I have missed it or so but. Deathsound on the soldiers when they got hit, are wounded, "death shouting" and so on. Are that being worked on or something you not going to do? Like red orchestra 2 for example. The hit/deathsound in that is good (in a sad way)

Don´t know if I have missed it or so but. Deathsound on the soldiers when they got hit, are wounded, "death shouting" and so on. Are that being worked on or something you not going to do? Like red orchestra 2 for example. The hit/deathsound in that is good (in a sad way)

I'm pretty sure that in reality you wouldn't scream when being hit in a fatal way.

(A medic friend of mine says that there's this rule: "If there are many people injured, check the ones that aren't screaming")

I've also never heard anyone screaming in his last moments when browsing through liveleak.

Gosh, that's a change in topic, huh?

I'm pretty sure that in reality you wouldn't scream when being hit in a fatal way.

(A medic friend of mine says that there's this rule: "If there are many people injured, check the ones that aren't screaming")

I've also never heard anyone screaming in his last moments when browsing through liveleak.

I agree but most of the hits in Arma are not fatal, and deserve a scream, even continuous moan or yelling afterwards. If someone gets a headshot, he shouldn't scream, I'd agree to that.

Most people will yell if you get hit in a non fatal way or not going in shock. People sometimes yell when they hurt the foot while walking. Watch your liveleak if thats your only info.

And I also know the rule. I´m a Squadleader in the army myself. So I know how my combatmedic work.

Well I have seen in liveleak and in reallife. But the one in reallife didn´t scream he was begging for help and after his mother.

And it was only a question nothing to be shitty about. I would only "like" the immersion. Becuse people always yell about realism. Then people can hear the sad and horrifing shit in a battle. But I´m fine with the vanilla.

Edited by Zsalheden

You should take a look at Red Orchestra. They have some pretty gruesome sounds when you kill somebody in a slow way. Screaming in pain, asking for his mother etc. I´m not sure if I would want this in Arma....

Implementing the feature itself wouldn't be a problem, the thing is that something like this only works if there's a respective medic system.

Most shots in ArmA aren't fatal - and that's the point.

You'd have people being shot, beginning to scream but just walk on like nothing happened or kneel down in order to give themselves a magic first aid kit.

I'm all for "gruesome realism" in ArmA since it'd just add immersion, at least for me.

But as I said, it'd just look ridiculous with the current medic system(s) we have.

I own VBS3 and gotta say that dismemberment and limping really add a lot to the atmosphere.

The old approach in SLX to let people crawl slowly and without weapons over the ground was well-working, too.

Implementing the feature itself wouldn't be a problem, the thing is that something like this only works if there's a respective medic system.

Most shots in ArmA aren't fatal - and that's the point.

You'd have people being shot, beginning to scream but just walk on like nothing happened or kneel down in order to give themselves a magic first aid kit.

I'm all for "gruesome realism" in ArmA since it'd just add immersion, at least for me.

But as I said, it'd just look ridiculous with the current medic system(s) we have.

I own VBS3 and gotta say that dismemberment and limping really add a lot to the atmosphere.

The old approach in SLX to let people crawl slowly and without weapons over the ground was well-working, too.

I think he more meant that when a unit is 'killed' it doesn't necessarily mean they're dead, just out of the fight

For me personally it´s enought when you taking a hit. Replace the vanilla sounds. Like good old OFP. I don´t need people lying on the ground and screaming. Becuse Vanilla wound system dosen´t work that way. Thats only way new hit sounds is enought.

From my experience, the only ones asking for a medic when needed are not the people injured but the people around him.

Panic or shock, whichever, the wounded people are generally more focused on swearing to ease the pain than yelling for a medic.

If there's really many injured people: search for the ones that aren't screaming or wriggling, chances are they're knocked out from shock or worse.

This is to say that Red orchestra doesn't exactly overdo it, it's just that russian soldiers were conscripts. Pretty much armed civvies.

That and sound discipline wasn't as important as it is today.

For me personally it´s enought when you taking a hit. Replace the vanilla sounds. Like good old OFP. I don´t need people lying on the ground and screaming. Becuse Vanilla wound system dosen´t work that way. Thats only way new hit sounds is enought.

I maybe agree with this, in Arma 2 when either someone got hit and don't see it comin the soldier would scream. Same when the legs broke. It'd be ok to add in a few sounds for those occasions. Maybe a rare to self "fuck" when there's a close call?

Looks like the new sounds have been added to the regular game in the newest update. I guess you guys (JSRS 3 dev team) won't have to script in interior vehicle hits anymore.

Looks like the new sounds have been added to the regular game in the newest update. I guess you guys (JSRS 3 dev team) won't have to script in interior vehicle hits anymore.

Gonna update ArmA3 now and will take a look :) No scripting is always good, but will put my sounds in anyways :P

LJ

Gonna update ArmA3 now and will take a look :) No scripting is always good, but will put my sounds in anyways :P

LJ

The "new" sounds don't sound great and I have the feeling it's not really the same as we're doing.

S, still: JSRS f*ckyeah

It's nice that the devs started to make some changes to the sound, and it's probably just in the very early stages yet, with focus on helicopters for the DLC release. There might be more goodies in the future, but I'm sure there will always be a place for JSRS, so keep up the good work LJ and LAxemann :)