Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

I think the more realistic the sound the better, and right now, it's got this nice mix to it, that makes it sound believable. It does indeed sound like a war zone.

Heya guys,

a little sneak peek showing off a new feature.

You know the drill - you're sitting in a tank, all good, no damage, and suddenly something feels weird... oh, you got hit, didn't even notice that, didya?

We'll try to make getting hit, especially when being inside a tank, clearly audible.

I'm currently trying to figure out which way is the best to determine the sound played.

Also, I was thinking about adding a camshake (people that know my other mods might giggle now :D) when being hit by something bigger but ohwell, that's no sound business at - what do you mean? :)

some sort of algorithm of damage and calibre maybe?

Take a look at the video... that's what I tried to do at first but fun thing, caliber isn't caliber as we'd expect it... a rocket, for example, has the caliber 1. Guess what a regular rifle has? ...yes, 1.

Take a look at the video... that's what I tried to do at first but fun thing, caliber isn't caliber as we'd expect it... a rocket, for example, has the caliber 1. Guess what a regular rifle has? ...yes, 1.

Yeah I did - maybe throw a check if 'explosive' is 1 and buff the calibre a bit? IDK, going to be hard to do without going through it manually and assigning it to ammo classes. I mean that could work even modded RPGS usually inherit from Rocketbase or something similar

Yeah I did - maybe throw a check if 'explosive' is 1 and buff the calibre a bit? IDK, going to be hard to do without going through it manually and assigning it to ammo classes. I mean that could work even modded RPGS usually inherit from Rocketbase or something similar

That's the plan so far... at least the most reasonable, I guess :)

Laxemann, speak with the guy who did RAM - Real Armour Mod; Olds. He's a bit of an expert in the Caliber issue.

SJ

Heya guys,

You know the drill - you're sitting in a tank, all good, no damage, and suddenly something feels weird... oh, you got hit, didn't even notice that, didya?

We'll try to make getting hit, especially when being inside a tank, clearly audible.

I'm currently trying to figure out which way is the best to determine the sound played.

Also, I was thinking about adding a camshake (people that know my other mods might giggle now :D) when being hit by something bigger but ohwell, that's no sound business at - what do you mean? :)

Maybe we Shall talk things through before you post them matey :p could have been a nice surprise later, but well...

Also, no camshake. JSRS is about sounds and sounds only. No visual effects. Lets talk further about that tomorrow mate.

Thanks,

LJ

Hey jarhead, have you seen this channel? Might be handy! Tons of really nice gunshot recordings. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRTvVAsNzjVjAKiNybOND2w

I will say I feel like the impacts of rounds in your latest video seemed a bit off. Too loud maybe? And a bit too "pew pew." It sounds like it's trying to mix a stopped round and a ricochet, to me at least. This video has a bunch of different sounds for impacts that are pretty good:

I noticed from some of your recent footage that bullet snaps at close ranges are too loud. Within 100 yards the gunfire should be louder than the snaping.

Heya guys,

Cool, but it sounds a bit tinny. How about something like this?

Cool, but it sounds a bit tinny. How about something like this?

As he said, its a test video, there were no sounds made for that feature yet ;)

LJ

As he said, its a test video, there were no sounds made for that feature yet ;)

LJ

Good to hear you guys are hard at work :D keep it up

Personally, I would prefer the sound to be a very loud "OW! SONNOVABITCH!". Y'know when you're half asleep and trying to get to the bathroom to take a piss but end up banging your toe on furniture? Yeah, that screaming sound of pain.

Y'know when you're half asleep and trying to get to the bathroom to take a piss but end up banging your toe on furniture? Yeah, that screaming sound of pain.

sound like we have a volunteer for making that sound sample? *g*

sound like we have a volunteer for making that sound sample? *g*

LOL! The sad thing is I do it way too often than I like to admit. It probably wouldn't take long at all for LJ to get a dozen sound files. :P Just the other night I went to bend down to grab something on the floor half-asleep and not realizing how close to the door I was. My doorknob almost got embedded into my forehead. Still....not as bad as the dark room toe-stub, though.

This may be a bit off-topic, but in the interest of experiencing Dragonfyre as it was intended, would you recommend an internal sound card or an external sound card?

This may be a bit off-topic, but in the interest of experiencing Dragonfyre as it was intended, would you recommend an internal sound card or an external sound card?

I'd say that you won't notice any difference, at least with regular hi-fi gear. And even then... well, highly speculated topic, but external soundcards only get really interesting when you're producing music or sounds yourself and need e.g. more outputs or specific features.

Also, most sounds are from compressed YouTube videos at 128kb/s, so everything ends there :D

Maybe we Shall talk things through before you post them matey :p could have been a nice surprise later, but well...

Also, no camshake. JSRS is about sounds and sounds only. No visual effects. Lets talk further about that tomorrow mate.

Thanks,

LJ

What're you doing there, hiding stuff from us? :P

From a coherence standpoint, I think it's best for the added realistic details like camshaking be left as separate mods.

On that note, LAxemann, is there any chance you can join the camerashake mods together (keep in separate .pbos but include it in a pack)?

And a question for you, LordJarhead.

With the addition of in-cockpit sounds such as wind, being hit (by MGs, missiles, environment etc) in DevBranch, will Dragonfyre make use of this new thing to further increase immersion?

With the addition of in-cockpit sounds such as wind, being hit (by MGs, missiles, environment etc) in DevBranch, will Dragonfyre make use of this new thing to further increase immersion?

Are there any? Did not checked the DevBranch but that seems to be it. In which case think we wont need new scripts here. Yes I would use them to increase JSRS immersion, tho I will wait for the first update to the stable as I mod JSRS for the stable and not for the DevBranch, so I never use that.

Also made new bullethits to keep the overall sounds more clear and seperated. Before it was mostly a mess when you got under fire, it all sounded the same and you where not sure what you've just heard, a bullet snap or a bullet hit. Now you can hear that clearly and even decide the materials the bullet hits just by the sound again, as it was used to be.

LJ

EDIT:

There we go:

b09MHq4Tcqw

LJ

Are there any? Did not checked the DevBranch but that seems to be it. In which case think we wont need new scripts here. Yes I would use them to increase JSRS immersion, tho I will wait for the first update to the stable as I mod JSRS for the stable and not for the DevBranch, so I never use that.

Also made new bullethits to keep the overall sounds more clear and seperated. Before it was mostly a mess when you got under fire, it all sounded the same and you where not sure what you've just heard, a bullet snap or a bullet hit. Now you can hear that clearly and even decide the materials the bullet hits just by the sound again, as it was used to be.

LJ

EDIT:

There we go:

b09MHq4Tcqw

LJ

The sounds he speaks of, they have added in a series of new sounds for external immersion when your inside of a helicopter. Those sounds include wind at different speeds, stress sounds and even landing sounds, impacts of the helicopter touching ground roughly. And sliding a helicopter sounds really scary. Had it happen to me when I jacked up a landing, and I was literally fearing my life as I went down hill with a missing main rotor.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Edit: Quick question Lord, not sure if it counts for the same thing, but do you do, or could you do like, sound loss? For example, explosions making someone's ear ring for a period of time, or getting shot in the head and surviving casing them to loose hearing for awhile in that ear?

Sound loss/hearing loss would be quite annoying, it's one of the qualities we can have in video games. Listening to the beautiful sound of explosives without getting a ringing in your ear is quite nice I must say, haha. Great work LJ! :)

Edit: Quick question Lord, not sure if it counts for the same thing, but do you do, or could you do like, sound loss? For example, explosions making someone's ear ring for a period of time, or getting shot in the head and surviving casing them to loose hearing for awhile in that ear?

There are already mods that simulate hearing loss (AGM) so if JSRS had it aswell, it would cause some weird sound issues I think.