Sign in to follow this  
LordJarhead

JSRS: DragonFyre -- WIP Thread

Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?  

2655 members have voted

1. 1. Some questions - multiple choice! What do you use, what do you prefer?

• I use - Stereo Speakers/Headphones
    • I use - 5.1/7.1 Speakers
    • I prefer - More authentic sound
    • I prefer - More hollywood'ish sound
    • I like - The new progress shown in the videos
    • I like - JSRS2 more, keep it updated
    • It should - Be part of the Contest
    • It should - Not be part of the contest, make it for yourself and the community
    • I want - It now, release it unfinished
    • I want - It finished, take your time and release when its done and perfect

What about adding some slight sound reflection on the buildings? These things like mil vehicles are really loud and adding reflection of sound of some louder vehicles could gave interesting effect. For myself I can say that if something bigger run on the street i can hear it reflecting off my house or nearby walls.

But it might not be worth it. Not sure about it's implementation and it might not be worth da FPS :cool:

A little fun...

ebgFTkrYTEg

Dont stab me tho^^ Will edit the outside sounds a bit more, that it sounds more muffled on shorter distances as it is supposed to be :)

LJ

LOL'd at "something's wrong"

excellent sounds but they need to be a bit, I don't know, louder when in first person? It doesn't quite feel like you're inside a loud-ass vehicle yet, but still, a great start.

A little fun...

ebgFTkrYTEg

Dont stab me tho^^ Will edit the outside sounds a bit more, that it sounds more muffled on shorter distances as it is supposed to be :)

LJ

Damn! You actually got me fooled there :P

First of all great work! However I do have a question, is there any way to make buildings block sounds or muffle them in fact? It would just bring a whole new level to urban warfare while using this mod.

First of all great work! However I do have a question, is there any way to make buildings block sounds or muffle them in fact? It would just bring a whole new level to urban warfare while using this mod.

Sure there is via scripting around a thousand edges and a giant amount of data that would be needed to be calculated. The performance would die totally under such script constructions.

LJ

Sure there is via scripting around a thousand edges and a giant amount of data that would be needed to be calculated. The performance would die totally under such script constructions.

LJ

So I assume the same goes for terrain? No muffled sound behind hills?

So I assume the same goes for terrain? No muffled sound behind hills?

Nope. I remember tho there was this blocked view feature for vehicles in ArmA2, wasn't it? Or was it even in A1 already? Idk because I just remember watching a tank on Sarani driving through town and it sound got blocked when ever he disappeared behind an object that was big enough to block it. I also remember that with helicopters when you were standing under a tree... seriously, do I remember right here? Or are those just some "good ol' times" memories foolin' me right now?

LJ

I never noticed it in Arma 2, but A1 definitely had buildings blocking at least the vehicle sounds. I even recall the exact moment I realized it; I was hiding in a house trying to ambush a tank. When it passed under the window, I heard the sound change. Totally froze in awe and got killed. Good times.

So any kind of use of the intersect commands to determine the volume/played sample would just be too heavy on the performance? :(

I hope something like this will be in the Bohemia's audio roadmap in the future.

I never noticed it in Arma 2, but A1 definitely had buildings blocking at least the vehicle sounds. I even recall the exact moment I realized it; I was hiding in a house trying to ambush a tank. When it passed under the window, I heard the sound change. Totally froze in awe and got killed. Good times.

So any kind of use of the intersect commands to determine the volume/played sample would just be too heavy on the performance? :(

I hope something like this will be in the Bohemia's audio roadmap in the future.

I always question myself why they even took it out of the roadmap, it was INGAME already, its the same engine and all... same goes for the weird TrackIR+Aimzone disaster... worked beautiful in A2 but in A3... forget it...

LJ

The Gorgon has a nice Detroit Diesel sound to it.

The only thing that bothers me, which is probably a game engine issue, is that when you release the throttle on the Kuma (like on 1:21 in the YouTube video), it sounds as if a clutch disengages and the engine falls back to idle almost instantly. This shouldn't be the case with automatic transmissions such as those used in MBTs and most military vehicles. Instead, it should gradually fall back in RPM and maybe switch to lower gears.

The game doesn't make a distinction between automatic and manual transmissions, it just mixes both. I do love the whine of the transmission that kicks in at a certain speed.

I always question myself why they even took it out of the roadmap, it was INGAME already, its the same engine and all... same goes for the weird TrackIR+Aimzone disaster... worked beautiful in A2 but in A3... forget it...

LJ

I think one of BI's problems is that they always tend to set impossible goals for themselves, and it ends leaving a lot of features either hanging in the dark or half finished. They probably had somekind of idea for an incredibly intricate super advanced sound engine for Arma 3 when the started development, then when they realized half way that they couldn't even get things like ballistics right they rushed it and now we're stuck with sub par visual and sound fx.

In the words of 'murica...

"You dont fix what aint broke"

- 'Murican Person, Sometime in the 1800s

Its funny how BI break what is fine, and modders fix it, LordJarhead is fixing the sound because BI failed :)

Keep up the great work LJ, those APC vids, really great the whole change thing was funny even if I saw it coming.

LJ, any news of updated JDAM/GBU bomb sounds? They don't seem to work quite right for me, PM me for more info. :)

Also, the mod seems to break the air drones (UAVs), and instead of being planes they are helicopters. :P

In the words of 'murica...

Its funny how BI break what is fine, and modders fix it, LordJarhead is fixing the sound because BI failed :)

Keep up the great work LJ, those APC vids, really great the whole change thing was funny even if I saw it coming.

everyone knows arma 3 is modder simulator. i feel BI made those mistakes on purpose just for modders to have something to do

LJ, any news of updated JDAM/GBU bomb sounds? They don't seem to work quite right for me, PM me for more info. :)

Also, the mod seems to break the air drones (UAVs), and instead of being planes they are helicopters. :P

Oh, might be a updating base class causing that ;) Will fix that in i-0.7 which will get to you in a bit, maybe this week even.

Did not really made much progress on the distance expl. sounds. Actually were adding some more sqf's now to have Artillery and 120mm cannons audible over 10km heh. Same goes for their ammo then ;)

LJ

Oh, might be a updating base class causing that ;) Will fix that in i-0.7 which will get to you in a bit, maybe this week even.

Did not really made much progress on the distance expl. sounds. Actually were adding some more sqf's now to have Artillery and 120mm cannons audible over 10km heh. Same goes for their ammo then ;)

LJ

Awesomesauce mate, cant wait! :D

If there's anything more I can do, lemme know. :)

Yeah, noticed that too with those missing Sounds from the Artillery (155mm,230mm Rounds) in the actual DragonFyre 0.6

only sometimes the sound from Artillery is to hear when i stand close to the target (close like 5 meters or so^^) then its mostly the last thing i heard. Own Arty kill :p

Yeah, noticed that too with those missing Sounds from the Artillery (155mm,230mm Rounds) in the actual DragonFyre 0.6

only sometimes the sound from Artillery is to hear when i stand close to the target (close like 5 meters or so^^) then its mostly the last thing i heard. Own Arty kill :p

Yeah is it an AI arty or Zeus arty you use? Then there wont be any sound for that I think. Since its a spawned explosion, spawned round, not an really "fired" round. Thats why the script cannot detect that round and you wont hear the sounds for it.

Thats not a bug, its just not possible to detect those explosions if the ticket on the threads frontpage wont get through. Otherwise, no explosion sounds for those spawned rounds, IED and what not.

LJ

Jarhead!!!!!! You have outdone yourself again.... I wish I didnt watch any videos! Makes it hard to play arma without DragonFyre. :) You are duh man! Keep up the good work. Its guys like you that make Arma an outstanding game to play! :) If there is anything I can do feel free to pm me. If I can I will. I have 4 more weeks of recovery time before I go back to work and am able to sit at the pc now. Either way awesome sounds JH!

Oh ok, Well I normally do cover environmental sounds, always^^

New WIP Video just showing the thrust factor on AAF Vehicles:

LJ

I just watched this and love it mate. Everything sounds suitably filthy and loud. :)

[h=2]JSRS3: DragonFyre Testers - Note[/h]

Hello Guys,

this is a message that goes to all the JSRS3: DragonFyre testers out there.

As some may have noticed already there is a quiet silent around the thread currently, which is because I work more or less in the shadows when ever I can find the time. Tho there has been a major update I was working on.

The "Dynamic Range Update" will actually tweak 90 - 100% of all script-triggered sound effects. Making loud noises louder, silent noises quieter. So a gun pop will be loud while its echo and reverb stays the way it is now.

The next version, i-0.7, will hopefully be issue-free, so I wanted to ask you guys to send over ANY kind of trouble, RPTs, personal issues or even CTD's to me again, so I have an overview of things I might have to tweak for the next update.

Also, if you have any other kind of suggestion or ideas, please let me know, in a reasonable way obviously :)

Thanks for everyone involved and helping me out here ;)

LJ