wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Looks absolutely amazing. Not only the mod itself, but also the website and the manual, you can clearly see the dedication behind all that.

One question though, what would i need to host a server running ALiVE for ~5 friends ? A standard computer could do the trick, or a dedicated server is required ?

You require an OPCOM and an MP module set to BLUFOR side then all you should need to do is adjust the drop-down option under the MP module - Player Tasks - YES.

Yes this issue is now on dev heaven tracker..... thanks for reporting

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/73378

Known issue perhaps? Some groups will be defending the objective instead of patrolling...

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/73273

Savage, thanx so much....I will look at this today!! VG Gaming FTW!!

Thanks j_camel for you kind words and sharing your expierinces!

Delta, patrolling works already by default if OPCOM is synced (as it issues patrolling orders to the troops), but there are some improvements needed, you can see details in the existing ticket!

Drakenof, You can play ALiVE in SP, MP HOSTED, or DEDI. All variants work! In our internal testing sessions we tried out pretty much all variants up to 20 players on a medium hardware dedi (think friz posted details in the WIP read, dont know them by heart). For 5 players you dont need a rented dedi really, it will work as MP host too, or just run up a "local dedi", means you just start up dedi AND client on your local machine, or you run the dedi as background service of the notebook (= standard computer) of your girlfriend :)

enjoy comrades

Hello all,

I am wondering how other peoples triggers are acting with this new mod. I have attempted to place this mod in an already made mission for testing. It appears the preexisting triggers started to "act up" even when "do nothing with synced items" was chosen. Not sure if that's what I am suppose to use, but it appears the OPCOM orders the triggers to pop. Also, on editor screen, I can see other units pre placed in mission (modified units - hostages), however under preview they are not in game, is that a spawn timing issue? I will keep working on this for more specifics.

In other testing, on Altis, it seems loading takes some time once in preview to see placements start, anywhere from 2-20 minutes, MP modules usually load the fastest and the civilian MP modules need more time. Is there a way to make this more fast without reducing unit #'s? I find making a larger marker 2000/2000 MP module loads more fast than 300/300 civ. placement.

I am also trying to have OPFOR and BLUFOR use only occupation in OPCOM, I have synced OPCOM to their respective side placements with CQB synced to all. Do all MP/Civ placements still need to be linked to both OPCOM? I know they do for invasion setting, I wouldn't think so with occupation.

Could people put what works for them for others to continue for testing?

J Camel thanks for your info.

How do I define custom key 20? my windows key is bugged. I would like to teleport to other locations.

Thanks to all in advance.

Edited by JAndrews1

[quote name=In other testing' date=' on Altis, it seems loading takes some time once in preview to see placements start, anywhere from 2-20 minutes, MP modules usually load the fastest and the civilian MP modules need more time. Is there a way to make this more fast without reducing unit #'s? I find making a larger marker 2000/2000 MP module loads more fast than 300/300 civ. placement.

[/quote]

Hmm maybe if i give my mission set-up some time to load it may work but i really don't wish to wait around 20+ minutes each session

but the thing is i can load a single civilian module coving up the whole map fine but as soon as i set up another civilian or military placement module nothing appears to be happening

i would like to get a mission set-up covering all of altis sort off similar to how mso mission were in arma 2

How do I define custom key 20? my windows key is bugged. I would like to teleport to other locations.

ArmA 3 options menu - Controls - Custom Controls - Use Action 20 - rebind it to what you want :)

I am wondering how other peoples triggers are acting with this new mod. I have attempted to place this mod in an already made mission for testing. It appears the preexisting triggers started to "act up" even when "do nothing with synced items" was chosen. Not sure if that's what I am suppose to use, but it appears the OPCOM orders the triggers to pop.

From the manual:

"The profile system currently only supports the following waypoint types for virtualization: Move and Cycle

Triggers and other complex editor tools do not function in the virtual battle space."

In other testing, on Altis, it seems loading takes some time once in preview to see placements start, anywhere from 2-20 minutes, MP modules usually load the fastest and the civilian MP modules need more time. Is there a way to make this more fast without reducing unit #'s? I find making a larger marker 2000/2000 MP module loads more fast than 300/300 civ. placement.

Currently no way to make it any faster - civ module takes longer I assume as it has to grab all possible spawn locations (basically any enterable structure) whereas the mil module only has to look for mil structures.

I am also trying to have OPFOR and BLUFOR use only occupation in OPCOM, I have synced OPCOM to their respective side placements with CQB synced to all. Do all MP/Civ placements still need to be linked to both OPCOM? I know they do for invasion setting, I wouldn't think so with occupation.

If you want units in those areas to receive orders then yes you will need an OPCOM module. For example, with occupation and OPCOM module linked the AI will send fresh troops to defend objectives that have been taken by enemy (assuming there are any troops left to send). You can also set a module to generate objectives only (no units spawn) and if linked to an OPCOM the AI commander will send groups to secure those 'neutral' areas.

Hello all,

If you want units in those areas to receive orders then yes you will need an OPCOM module. For example, with occupation and OPCOM module linked the AI will send fresh troops to defend objectives that have been taken by enemy (assuming there are any troops left to send). You can also set a module to generate objectives only (no units spawn) and if linked to an OPCOM the AI commander will send groups to secure those 'neutral' areas.

Can you Elaborate on this if possible?

I have my BLUFOR opcom module set to INVASION, and my OPFOR module set to OCCUPATION. what scenario will that create? What if both set to OCCUPATION, or both set to INVASION?

What specifically does the objectives only module setting do with no units?? is that become player tasks? or is it just for AI and them to fight over it (with or without Player help). What happens when one side gains control? do they continue the fight still?

All this is assuming you have a logistics module on both sides and a never ending persistent battle.

Anyway to clarify on the objective module a little further, i don't think what you mentioned (in my post and the above) is in the PDF i am sure it would be helpful to many. Myself i am trying to find all this out on my own but its very time consuming if you don't know the programming behind it. I just want to take full advantage of your system.

Edited by J_Camel

I have my BLUFOR opcom module set to INVASION, and my OPFOR module set to OCCUPATION. what scenario will that create? What if both set to OCCUPATION, or both set to INVASION?

edit: see my next post

What specifically does the objectives only module setting do with no units?? is that become player tasks? or is it just for AI and them to fight over it (with or without Player help). What happens when one side gains control? do they continue the fight still?

Basically it just generates the objective locations for the AI to fight over or assign player tasks as you mentioned. The fight will continue until there are no more groups to assign to that objective (so if you are using logistics it will go on forever).

Anyway to clarify on the objective module a little further, i don't think what you mentioned (in my post and the above) is in the PDF i am sure it would be helpful to many. Myself i am trying to find all this out on my own but its very time consuming if you don't know the programming behind it. I just want to take full advantage of your system.

I'm sure the manual will get updated as it comes along. I'm just a tester and learned most of the stuff by trial and error.

For anyone doing the trial and error thing I would recommend using Stratis as everything loads much quicker.

Just a minor point; I'm already using user key 20 for the AMAZING shoulder Tap mod....

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?168842-GDSN-Shoulder-Tap-(Addon-version) :p

do you think it would be possible to add a user configurable selection for the key ?

I believe this is planned for next update.

Edited by SavageCDN

From the manual:

"The profile system currently only supports the following waypoint types for virtualization: Move and Cycle

Triggers and other complex editor tools do not function in the virtual battle space."

Ok, I had read that too, I had discussed that with others in my clan and they had interpreted that as it does not work while units are despawned. Nonetheless, that makes sense now, thanks for clearing it up. Now I know what types of missions to make for this. Until that is updated of course.

Currently no way to make it any faster - civ module takes longer I assume as it has to grab all possible spawn locations (basically any enterable structure) whereas the mil module only has to look for mil structures.

Ok. thanks for this.

Ok. So could I have both Opfor /Blufor on occupation mode only so they defend cities/military posts only? If so, should I have one opcom total or one for each to only hold / defend objectives / areas.

Will Alive work with other module site settings like observation post or base?

Can you overlap markers with separate modules, for example civ module and military over that?

Can you overlap markers with separate mod/scripts for example Urban patrol script with Alivemod marker over that?

I will be testing once back home. Just want to know if possible so I don't waste my time.

Thanks again in advance.

Edited by JAndrews1

Ok. So could I have both Opfor /Blufor on occupation mode only so they defend cities/military posts only? If so, should I have one opcom total or one for each to only hold / defend objectives / areas.

You should have one OPCOM for each faction set to occupation and synched only to the MP/CP modules you want them to defend.

Will Alive work with other module site settings like observation post or base?

Have not tested this myself so cannot say.

Can you overlap markers with separate modules, for example civ module and military over that?

Yes markers can overlap.. at least in one of my tests it didn't seem to cause issues.

Can you overlap markers with separate mod/scripts for example Urban patrol script with Alivemod marker over that?

Yes you can use outside scripts like UPSMON but you will have to exclude those units from profiling (one of the options in profile module)

With regards to Occupation vs Invasion setting:

Occupation - units will be placed at objectives throughout the TAOR and will attempt to occupy and defend military installations.

Invasion - units will start in the vicinity of the MP module and will move to take objectives as ordered by a synchronized OPCOM.

savageCDN thanks so much for your help.

Camel may be its time to invade Stratis?

savageCDN thanks so much for your help.

Camel may be its time to invade Stratis?

You're welcome and good luck! :partytime:

A lot of the confusion people are having is because of the way Military Placement (and Objectives) module works with OPCOM. It's deliberately designed in such as way to provide huge flexibility with very few modules and can be a bit opaque until you get your head around it.

Let's ignore the Side, Faction or Unit Placement bit and just focus on the Objectives to begin with.

1. Primarily, MP defines a list of Objectives. This can be the whole map or in a user defined marker area (let's called it TAOR1).

2. OPCOM needs to read the list of Objectives from the MP module so it knows where to send units. You can define which list of objectives it uses by synching it to an MP module. So if synched to an MP that is restricted to TAOR1, OPCOM will only know about objectives in TAOR1. Create a second zone (let' say TAOR2) and list it in the same MP module - the module now creates objectives in both TAOR1 and TAOR2 and OPCOM knows about both. Of course you can also use two separate MP modules with their own TAOR zones defined, but this will be slower to initialise (twice as much analysis needed).

Now once objectives have all been dealt with, let's look at the Unit placement part.

3. MP module's second function is to place units down, of whichever side and faction (or several factions) that you choose. It will only place units on Objectives that are defined by it's TAOR (or the whole map if no TAOR are defined).

Finally, when everything is set up OPCOM kicks in:

4. OPCOM grabs whatever units it can find on it's Side, reads all objectives it knows about (from synched MP modules) and sends orders depending on whether it's been told to Occupy (hold the ground) or Invade (take unheld objectives). The most important note here is that it doesn't matter what side the MP module units placement is - OPCOM still needs to know about the objectives in that area to attack them.

- Occupy mode: OPCOM will attempt to seize known objectives (as defined above) in order from Highest Priority/Nearest Proximity to the OPCOM location.

- Invasion mode: Objectives priorities are determined from an algorithm that finds strategically important* objectives.

*NOTE: "Strategic Importance" is determined by a complex algorithm based on relative size, type, altitude, proximity to HQ and various other criteria. It's what military planners call Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield and I'm really not going to explain it here cos my fingers already hurt.

So you can experiment with various combinations to get all sorts of scenarios going but the beauty is you really don't need very many MP or OPCOM modules to do it. One MP synched to two OPCOMs or two MP with one OPCOM will both work and produce some interesting scenarios. Of course you can substitute Civilian Placement to define Civ objectives as well as MP for the military ones (or use both).

My best advice: play around with it!

Edited by friznit2

Galzohar,

Appreciate the enthusiasm! We're not ready to expose API/functions yet, so bear with us.

Just because its early days I'll give you this nugget... :)

WaitUntil {_check = alive_sys_player getvariable "init"; _check};

if !([ALIVE_sys_player_player_data), (getPlayerUID _unit)] call CBA_fnc_hashHasKey) then {

// Do your gear thing

};

We'll look at seeing how we can integrate custom loadout scripts into player persistence (sys_player).

This just keeps infinite spamming of undefined variable error for alive_sys_player :(

Tested on hosted server (both as a server and with a friend who tried to connect/disconnect/reconnect while the mission is running).

Edited by galzohar

This just keeps infinite spamming of undefined variable error for alive_sys_player :(

Tested on hosted server (both as a server and with a friend who tried to connect/disconnect/reconnect while the mission is running).

there is a ) too much in !([ALIVE_sys_player_player_data), --> !([ALIVE_sys_player_player_data, ...

havent tested it though...

Oh, obviously I fixed the syntax errors and also tried other variations, but the first variable stays undefined indefinitely. If I wouldn't have fixed the syntax obviously I would have just gotten a syntax error rather than undefined variable error.

Sorry Galzohar you'll have to wait until we build in support for custom load out scripts.

We will add it as a high priority request :)

Oh, I fixed the syntax errors and also tried other variations, but the first variable stays undefined indefinitely.

and you placed the player persistence module with appropriate settings?

Yes, the module is working, but the variables that are supposed to check what it - Don't. Most of the time we are lucky and have the module script run after my loadout script so just running the loadout script from init works, but that can randomly not work just as well if the ALiVE script initializes first.

Thanks j_camel for you kind words and sharing your expierinces!

Delta, patrolling works already by default if OPCOM is synced (as it issues patrolling orders to the troops), but there are some improvements needed, you can see details in the existing ticket!

thanks highhead by support, but I tried a lot of ways:

- tiny marked area, the units are freezed on the map.

- big marked area(1k), the units are freezed on the map.

- huge marked area (2k), only ~10-20% of units is patrolling

no patrolling is a serious problem for my missions, specially in tiny areas....=(

How I force patrolling in example mission ALIVE_mission_2.Altis? any trick?

Edited by D3lta

Does ALiVE affect the AI, modify it's fundamental behavior ?

I just want to know that, to minimize the risk of an " AI conflict " between ALiVE and another mod ( let's say TPW, or WWAICOVER, to only name a few ).

At the "Make Arma Not War" website, they have a contest going for 500,000 euros. One of the categories is "total modification" award.....they might as well close that catagory because the ALiVE has already Won. ;)

This Mod is a game changer....thank you boys - Down Under.... nice job..... Dean Hall should be proud.

Does ALiVE affect the AI, modify it's fundamental behavior ?

I just want to know that, to minimize the risk of an " AI conflict " between ALiVE and another mod ( let's say TPW, or WWAICOVER, to only name a few ).

Drakenof,

Those mods should work as they do normally if they detect and mod units that are spawned into play during runtime. I have used these mods and have had no issues with them except some of TPW's as most, if not all, of the TPW mods are centered around single player games and not designed around MP game play. As with any mod that controls behavior, there will be performance hits associated with them so keep this in mind while designing your mission.

-Raps