Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Campaign Episode 1: SURVIVE - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Im having a lot of men not showing up red tagged or green tagged , frustrating figuring out who is on your side .

Just finished and very good job bis!!!

Had 1 crashes 1 freeze and 1 bsod but i made to the end! I have not had one problem like those with arma 3 since beta.

Keep up the good job on the next 2 episodes!

Thanks.

On "crossing paths" some teammates got stuck in camp connor and I didn't get the "clear houses" event. Reloading would have the teammates still stuck, but reverting from the start had things go smoother.

As for the campaign itself, I enjoyed it. It has a good variety of missions and the story a big dose of wtf is going on? I really didn't see the angle BIS used coming.

arma32013-10-2423-58-14-32_zps97070735.jpg

Wasn't this supposed to be fixed?

I just finished the campaign and the ending cut scene looks...

very depressive...Cpt. Miller, Kerry, Lacey, James... All of them were blown apart by some CSAT fast-movers.

So is there another ending out there ?

I remember that Arma2 Campaign have multi-ending depend on what you have done.

Or perhaps they didn't die and will hop in the play at 'Adapt' patch?

Regardless of that , the campaign was awesome, especially the part when 'Green-On-Blue' begins and the death of Adams. Just like the old days in OFP.

Edited by MadDogX

Ok I'm in Death Valley, got the UAV quadrocopter, and opened the UAV controls I got airborn and I think I fount the spotters. I laser targeted them. Now what? I tried 0 + 8 for artillery to wipe them out but there is none. What do I do to neutralize them?

This is not the end, but the end of the beginning...

Yeah...

Perhaps they will return at 'Adapt' in whole...Or perhaps rest in peace in that beautiful ocean . Who knows :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 06:05 ---------- Previous post was at 06:04 ----------

[/color]

Ok I'm in Death Valley, got the UAV quadrocopter, and opened the UAV controls I got airborn and I think I fount the spotters. I laser targeted them. Now what? I tried 0 + 8 for artillery to wipe them out but there is none. What do I do to neutralize them?

nah, it's actually two guy running uphill trying to close-quarter them instead of 'artillery' them.

I finished this by switching back to my guy and hunt them down by my self.

Try pointing at them and holding right click to "spot" them while the laser is active.

Try pointing at them and holding right click to "spot" them while the laser is active.

Yeah i did that but there's nothing to hit them with once their targeted apparently. 0+8 doesn't give me artillery I can call down on them. What next?

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 AM ----------

Ah thanks

Oh I see you paint them and another squad moves in to waste them.. thanks again.

Edited by Cadmium77

Yeah i did that but there's nothing to hit them with once their targeted apparently. 0+8 doesn't give me artillery I can call down on them. What next?

On my playthrough they were almost instantly gunned down by my squad mates. :D

Ok, so I couldn't start the campaign without mods. Loaded up JSRS, CBA, and TMR, and suddenly it worked fine. (Go figure).

First BIS effort that actually kept me glued to my seat till it was done.

Thankfully no bugs to report. Played flawlessly all the way through for me.

Ended up playing the last mission to near completion half a dozen times. Different every single time.

Personally, I like the focused campaign style as opposed to the large open ended stuff we've played before. It still retains all the fun of a Sandbox, but relieves you of babysitting duty. I can still accomplish (or help accomplish) a mission nearly any way I can think of. But it throws out the pacing issues that made previous campaigns a disappointing drain to finish.

I enjoyed the campign so far! Well done BIS :)

I can report 3 minor "Bugs":

1. As earlyer said in the Thread, when the squad in the second mission runs into the forest, my squadleader spotted the enemy patrol immidiatly when we entered the forest without even be able to see them.

2. While defending the downed Blackfoot, my squadmates go into defend positions but stay there without having the rifle in fireposition and when engaged, they needet like 5 or 6 seconds to even react to bullets flying directly next to them or even hit them. (seems like they were stuck in a animation)

3. In the mission "Death Valley" when you destroy your UAV while going airborn, my character will hint something like: "Shit, the UAV is down" but then nothing happens anymore. No conversation no tipp or anything else how you could acomplish the mission. Maybe just a "Mission Failed" screen would do the trick :)

So I finished the campaign in a hour or so. I found it very bland and boring and most of the time I find myself increasing time acceleration. First few levels your squad leader can't even die like literally he was a bullet sponge for me. He could walk 100 meters in front of me and kill off entire squads while taking automatic fire from multiple MK200s and just pretend like nothing happened, until he stepped on a mine later and died but that was scripted. Some bugs I found are medics not healing you sometimes but (this has been a problem from the start early alpha) and a problem with briefing triggers at Camp Maxwell I had to sometimes walk back and forth to the NPC to trigger the next event. Also on the last mission the the MI48 hovers very low casually around the town after dropping off some troops not engaging anything looked kinda weird. The overall improvement in audio communication is excellent I must add compared to the previous robotic sounds in ARMA 2 thumbs up!

So far 4 problems identified. I'll wrap some of them in spoiler tags:

1-2.

1. Team leader voice in "speaker" mode at the view of Camp Rogain after the start of the invasion.

2. Team leader runs up to enemy soldiers within a few meters before shooting at point X-ray.

3. Radio command spelling error: "Echo, this Staff Sargent Adams..."

4. At the beginning of second part (chapter), while the cinematic top and bottom borders are on, there is a consistent lag (no lag elsewhere).

So far the best arma campaign ever played...Cheering for BI.

Ok! I absolutely love the campaign, best I have ever played

music and voices add to the tension and drama, each mission is tense and exciting, I love how you get the feeling of the circumstances, the enemy layout and friendly layout, the stakes and forces involved with the Command structure feature

I also love the rearming features. it works perfectly, and the lovely voice acting that makes each character feel real.

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Hi everyone

can anyone confirm a few things for us mission makers, it may be my impression, but I noticed a few really cool features of the arma 3 campaign I hope the BIS guys are going to get a wiki going up on how to put these features in our own missions

the Force disposal chart (you can click on the icon of the squad and see the whole NATO force structure, its really cool. )

ammo and weapon transferrance to each mission (not exactly a new feature, but its really cool nonetheless)

is it just me, or does some of the helicopter flying (especially the first little bird, in the first mission) seem scripted? how do they do it? it doesnt seem to land like a normal AI controlled helicopter would, when given a land order.

campaign mission structure, its cool how you return to the base each time, how do they do that? its cool

AI squad-mates seem to presist ( I think, if the one fellow survives, he carries on the the next mission. (I think? I'm not sure. )

I played for a couple of hours had numerous saves , restarted Arma 3 and entered the Campaign and have no options to load a save , surely you must be able to resume a previous session ?

The campaign is terrible, it made me stay up playing it until 2:30am :mad:

On a more serious note, I found it to be really enjoyable. I appreciate the hub-based mission design, it makes the campaign feel large in scope. It reminded me of Manhattan minus all the inevitable bugs that stem from a 3 hours long mission.

is it just me, or does some of the helicopter flying (especially the first little bird, in the first mission) seem scripted? how do they do it? it doesnt seem to land like a normal AI controlled helicopter would, when given a land order.

Yes, the chopper in the first mission, the one that lands and then takes you to Rogain, is scripted.

See BIS_fnc_unitCapture/BIS_fnc_unitPlay functions under the functions viewer in the Editor.

@steele6

For the little bird: unitcapture & unitplay

Try to click on the small triangle left from the campaign name and you'll see a list of missions you've played.

digging the campaign. just got to xray and got killed. when trying to restart straight after dying i get cannoty resum error. its not seeing mods i had loaded when playing 5 seconds ago.

Missing addons detected:

speedofsound

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.speedofsound

LODShape::AddLoadHandler: Handler not present in shape [a3\weapons_f\acc\reticle_hamr.p3d]

Warning Message: No entry 'A3\Missions_F_EPA\Campaign\description.ext/Campaign/Missions/A_in.CONTINUE'.

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Warning Message: No entry 'A3\Missions_F_EPA\Campaign\description.ext/Campaign/Missions.CONTINUE'.

Warning Message: '/' is not a value

Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_list

Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpreinit

Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listpostinit

Attempt to override final function - bis_functions_listrecompile

[60759,1423.02,0,"XEH: PreInit Started. v1.0.4.198. MISSINIT: missionName=intro1, worldName=Stratis, isMultiplayer=false, isServer=true, isDedicated=false"]

[60759,1423.05,0,"XEH: PreInit Finished. CACHE DISABLED? (Disable caching with cba_cache_disable.pbo): SLX_XEH_RECOMPILE=false, CBA_COMPILE_RECOMPILE=false, CBA_FUNC_RECOMPILE=false"]

Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missiontaskslocal

Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionconversationslocal

Attempt to override final function - bis_fnc_missionflow

- also a little fog might just add a touch of atmosphere to the beginning. felt very stark when ambushed in forest.

_ AAN hellicopter just hover near rogain. not moving.

EDIT - restarting the campaign mission gives me this error when near chopper right at the beginning. didnt get this error last time.

[3246,63.256,0,"XEH: PostInit Started"]

[3246,63.262,0,"CBA_VERSIONING: cba=1.0.4.198, "]

[3246,63.316,0,"XEH: PostInit Finished. State: _isClient=true, _isJip=false, _isDedClient=false, _isServer=true, _isDedServer=false, _playerCheckDone=true, _sp=true, _startInitDone=true, _postInitDone=true, _mpRespawn=false, _machineType=1, _sessionId=3, _level=0, _timeOut=false, _game=3, BIS_functions=L Modules:1, group=L Modules, player=BIS_inf, _playerType=B_Story_Protagonist_F", _playerGroup=B Kerry]

[3246,63.257,0,"x\cba\addons\network\XEH_postServerInit.sqf:3","Initializing: cba_network version: 1.0.4.198"]

Unknown attribute itemsCmd

Unknown attribute itemsCmd

Error in expression <_fnc_advHint_hintHandlers") then {

if !(BIS_fnc_advHint_hintHandlers) then {

_>

Error position: <BIS_fnc_advHint_hintHandlers) then {

_>

Error Undefined variable in expression: bis_fnc_advhint_hinthandlers

File A3\functions_f\Hints\fn_advHint.sqf, line 118

Edited by twisted

So I finished the campaign in a hour or so. I found it very bland and boring and most of the time I find myself increasing time acceleration. First few levels your squad leader can't even die like literally he was a bullet sponge for me. He could walk 100 meters in front of me and kill off entire squads while taking automatic fire from multiple MK200s and just pretend like nothing happened, until he stepped on a mine later and died but that was scripted. Some bugs I found are medics not healing you sometimes but (this has been a problem from the start early alpha) and a problem with briefing triggers at Camp Maxwell I had to sometimes walk back and forth to the NPC to trigger the next event. Also on the last mission the the MI48 hovers very low casually around the town after dropping off some troops not engaging anything looked kinda weird. The overall improvement in audio communication is excellent I must add compared to the previous robotic sounds in ARMA 2 thumbs up!

So you didn't "really" play the missions then?

Which topic is actualy intended for a not technical feedback? :) I left a couple of words about my impressions in the neighbor one :oops:

_____

Campaign looks great and even feels like there is an readable storyline :rolleyes:

But - for the bloody sake of all Stratis goat population! - where is a scale in the battles? 95% of fire contacts are on distances below 200 m. In addition, there is some suicide missions, where the 8 or 10 frienldly units attacks a platoon of hostiles. It's looks fun and dynamically in the start, but then - such hysteria begins to annoy :j:

Regarding the cutscenes - what the kind of fashion to put the "interactive cutscenes" everywhere? Are BIS realy think that cinemaborder and switched-off keyboard can substitute the real, the actual movie scenes between the missions? Similarly as in the case above - this looks interesting for first, second and even third times, but then - looks like the devs just were too lazy to make real cutscenes :))

So, 3.8/5 for a good scenery and splendid atmosphere, but too simplified gameplay :) Hope this is only the complication of the plot, and we'll see more realistic scaled battles and actual cutscenes in the "Adopt" and "Win" campaigns.

Edited by MadDogX