Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

i get frames around 40 fps and after this morning update ive just got a crash saying (dx11 error buffer map failed e outofmemory) , im using a gtx 560 ti twin frozr ii no oc, with latest drivers ....

I think the 0-1 FPS problem should get a dedicated thread in the problems section. This thread can be used for praising, and there should be another one for Altis map criticism/suggestions (I have some... a) one big and thick forest b) higher terrain in islands centre), but don't know if Altis will change at this stage of development). This thread gets too big.

Pointless changing the terrain and adding forests when it's based on a real island, for a mod sure.

Pointless changing the terrain and adding forests when it's based on a real island, for a mod sure.

Is that an Axiom? As I mentioned, there is no need to strictly rebuild the Limnos island (IMO). I don't see a problem in adding some features for making the gaming experience better.

Congratulations BIS. You nailed it with Altis. Independently of the mediterranean ambient, that cannot like everyone, the work, effort and care making this map is really superb and can be noticed since the first look.

As said, very fine job. :)

Is that an Axiom? As I mentioned, there is no need to strictly rebuild the Limnos island (IMO). I don't see a problem in adding some features for making the gaming experience better.

A official port or properly ported Chernarus would be the way to go for a more green environment with forests etc.

Kavala and it's surroundings are really impressive, houses, houses after houses, and ...more houses.

It doesn't feel like "here is the town, and then there is another town few kilometers away". It really feels like natural urban area, spreading wider from the center to the suburbs and industrial areas.

Fps in Kavala is about the same as in Agia Marina, constant 40+ fps. (4000 view dist, 2000 obj, ultra/very high settings, no ssao, no pip)

I tried 12000/5000 and surprisingly got average 30+ fps. Lowest was 25.

Flying high speed with jets, with higher view distance and object visibility may cause some stuttering/fps problems with all the loading going on, so I understand why Arma 3 prefers helicopters. But 4000/1500 is totally usable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4OPOR7Y8U

And of course, driving around the island with a quadbike, so much fun!

I haven't tested fighting on the island yet, flying and driving around has been entertaining enough.

Edited by Azzur33

Good island, but I miss them there a little forest ...

Edited by [CSLA]LUKI
update

hi all

yesterday when I got home I started arma 3 (updated) and ALTIS was not there on the editor island list!!! I panicked and nearly cried.... however I remembered there is a solution that could fix it.

right click on arma 3 and find where it says validate files or verify game files or something... it will go through the arma 3 files checking for issues and it will re-aquire any files that are missing or damaged.

I re downloaded 140mb and altis showed up and worked fine.

let me know if this has helped anyone.

The buildings are finished or just be-in-progress?

coz some enter-able buildings have no "buidingPos" point at all.

Altis is the ultimate abode for fans of urban warfare. Once we get Random House Patrol script working it is going to be pure bliss.

How come everything has greek names when Arma3 no longer takes place in Greece?

How come people in America still speak English when they no longer live in England?

At least wait for the official lore before you start nitpicking.

Whats your problem? It was just a question...

The lore iirc is that we are playing on a fictional island in the med thats why I asked.

Altis is a masterpiece. Awesome!!!

but what is the max draw distance for streetlights at night? or how much light sources are max. visible in arma3? In kavala only the half is illuminated.

Performance is good- VD=4800 OD=2500 ultra/veryhigh/high settings. There was a hint about the i7 CPU to run arma3 with cpu 2-7 (taskmanager). it gives me a gain of 15 frames. im running altis between 30-55 frames on my alien.

Edited by funkotron

Kavala and it's surroundings are really impressive, houses, houses after houses, and ...more houses.

It doesn't feel like "here is the town, and then there is another town few kilometers away". It really feels like natural urban area, spreading wider from the center to the suburbs and industrial areas.

Fps in Kavala is about the same as in Agia Marina, constant 40+ fps. (4000 view dist, 2000 obj, ultra/very high settings, no ssao, no pip)

I tried 12000/5000 and surprisingly got average 30+ fps. Lowest was 25.

Flying high speed with jets, with higher view distance and object visibility may cause some stuttering/fps problems with all the loading going on, so I understand why Arma 3 prefers helicopters. But 4000/1500 is totally usable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4OPOR7Y8U

And of course, driving around the island with a quadbike, so much fun!

I haven't tested fighting on the island yet, flying and driving around has been entertaining enough.

What are your specs? When I turn view distance at 12K but keep object draw distance at 500m the stuttering or freezing is pretty bad sometimes or at least it happens often. When I fly in chernarus there's zero problem or freezes.

My video www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL3i5zitp2E

Edited by St. Jimmy

Oh dear, I'm so damn hyped by this topic! Downloaded when I was at work and it's at 97% now. The pictures look so good.

Hopefully I wont have the low FPS issues but we'll see (at least I'm on 64bit and have a SSD).

I already chose one of the Armory missions for my first test. :)

Edit:

Not today. When the 100% were hit it started at 0% again - with 2.1G pending. I'm really beginning to hate Steam with its problems when a new update gets staged while you are downloading... Crying right now.

Edited by soapsurfer

What are your specs? When I turn view distance at 12K but keep object draw distance at 500m the stuttering or freezing is pretty bad sometimes or at least it happens often. When I fly in chernarus there's zero problem or freezes.

Yeah there are stutters when the engine suddenly has to load/draw lots of stuff. If I fly higher, it's smooth. When flying lower, approaching the bigger towns causes some stuttering. I can fly quite smoothly If I fly around the area that has already drawn and loaded into memory.

Object draw distance in the 12000m part was 1200. Helicopter part was 4000/2000.

Specs: i7 2600K, GTX 580, no overclocking. And W7 64bit.

Edited by Azzur33

hmm... alt tab=crash..... editor preview=crash...play=crash.....un-install--reinstall, delete cache = crash....oh well... not at good start.. the king is dead

Alls I got to say is WOW. Played off my pc last nite(server has issues ATM) but nite fights on Altis are stunning an engagment ranges are awsome. Well Done BI!:yay:

a masterpiece!

I drove around the island and listened to the sounds and let the impressions flow.. awesome work! feels good and natural!

I believe that the FPS is working fine for me. All the lag and stuttering I've kind of been attributing to the dev branch's natural instability.