Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

Bad news boys

Running these and still have fps probs unless is dumb view distance down to 1500

I7 920 @ 3.4Ghz

GTX 670

8Gb DDR3

**Samsung SSD

BUT I am running it on my new LG 29EB-P monitor that runs ultra wide at 2560 X 1080 Reguardless performance is cut in half compared to stratis.. Being that it was possible to fix by cutting view distance in half I'm grateful but it goes to say that SSD setups are not free from the problem

Please everybody state your operating system (32 bit or 64) as well, that may be a big part of the puzzle

I have to say that Altis was more than a positive surprise... Definitely a lot better than what I expected. Biggest surprise was the level of detail around the map and especially in towns, another nice thing was the diversity of different areas. I'd have liked a couple of areas with larger dense forests, but can't really complain – it's superb map anyway. FPS is pretty good, and it's not lagging in towns... I get extreme freezing and stutter when moving in NE of map with high viewdistances though, but thankfully it's not the area that I'm going to use the most :p

Btw, who did this...?!?!?

http://i.imgur.com/ogB625U.jpg

...I want to buy them a beer! :627:

And pls, make the doors of ambulance garage and the door in front of the helipad ramp openable! :cool:

I love this building, but i'm disapointing than we can't enter in it :(^^ for invade and kill terrorist scenario.

I got aswell the 1 fps issue. All the texture goes to sh*t ingame. In 3rd person view, my body dissipear time to time and goes through the ground. Even in editor same issue. Meanwhile on stratis i get 120+ fps in editor. I've got -nologs and -nosplash in my launch option.

My rig

I7 950 @ 3.8Ghz

GTX 580

4Gb DDR3

250Gb SSD

Windows 7 32 bit

What I tested with some friends is that the problem must be really in 32bit OS. My friend running Altis on his dual core processor with 4gb ram can run the game perfectly fine but on win 8 64bit OS. I have a lot more better PC with win 7 32bit OS and the game when I enter some areas or even smallest city which isn't even equal to Agia Marina on Stratis my game becomes unplayable with 1-2 FPS so I always have to alt + f4 the game coz its only the way how to close it because of massive performance drop. Even If I manage to close the editor main menu is still lagy and its impossible to do something there. Altis just completely screws the whole game.

And the reason why the poll is unclear is as mentioned before that the question should be little bit different because ppl are voting for something they don't really have. Problem is when you have like 1-4 fps on Altis and the game is completely unplayable and not when you have less FPS on Altis than on Stratis.

I am sure it has something to do with 32bit OS.

My rig:

Windows 7 Professional 32 Bit

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition OC 3893 MHz

Memory Kingston 2GB KIT DDR3 1333MHz CL7 HyperX x2 (4gb ram)

Video Card GTX 660Ti

HDD: WDC WD2500AAKS-00UU3A0 ATA Device

Edited by Illusion_cz

I don't have sustained 1-2 fps that some have reported.. but, if we are talking about complete freezing for up to a second at a time.... I have that, along with persistent stutter. (and all the other old performance issues). I am on win 7 64-bit.

And the reason why the poll is unclear is as mentioned before that the question should be little bit different because ppl are voting for something they don't really have. Problem is when you have like 1-4 fps on Altis and the game is completely unplayable and not when you have less FPS on Altis than on Stratis.

I'm afraid you're right; in fact I just verified this by simply checking votes vs. forum posts related to Altis.

I am sure it has something to do with 32bit OS.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

I will most likely reset the poll soon with a more clear question and answers.

I found the Object view distance would cause extreme stutter if set past a certain point.

Keeping the view distance and object distance the same, at 5500, the game runs smooth in editor with 35+ fps. With 12k view distance and 5000 object, the game would get 25-30 fps. However it seemed bumping the object view distance with any combination of terrain distance beyond 6000 would cause immense game breaking several seconds of freezing while turning.

Keep in mind this is not a complaint and running at 5500 or 12k/5000 is amazing. But I would like to bring attention to the radical change from perfectly smooth gameplay with 5500. Down to 0-1 fps for several seconds while trying to look around if the object was set at 6000 or beyond. The freezing wouldn't only occur only when looking into dense areas, but also when looking straight up in the sky, or out to sea. Freezing is a result of camera movement and having to unload, then reload objects. Perhaps hitting and surpassing a hard/soft limit on total drawn objects?

Windows 7 64 bit

16gb ram

7970 crossfire (wasn't in crossfire mode at this time)

Arma 3 running off SSD

Everything is overclocked well and stable.

I'm afraid you're right; in fact I just verified this by simply checking votes vs. forum posts related to Altis.

Yes, that seems to be the case.

I will most likely reset the poll soon with a more clear question and answers.

Thanks a lot mate!

Ok, the poll thing didn't work for some reason (old votes are not properly removed)... hold on a sec.

I'm quite shocked at people having less than 5 FPS on Altis :O

I got around 25 with most on ultra and high, running about with battles occuring :/ Only in the more densely built areas do I see any FPS drop.

Specs are:

i5-3570k

GTX 660 Ti

8GB RAM (1866MHz)

3TB HDD

I thought this might be a good place for people to put all the reasons why they love Altis.

Also, since it's so big, it will take a while for everyone to find everything. So put stuff you find here so others may find it too. I know there is a place referred to as "stonehenge" and some ruins underwater.

Does anyone know where the underwater rock formations that we saw in so many preview videos. And Is there a static Submarine in the water? They showed it in videos so it must be on this map, unless it isn't placed yet or another map.

I'm quite shocked at people having less than 5 FPS on Altis :O

It's a bug. Most likely something to do with 32-bit systems...

Ok, the poll thing didn't work for some reason (old votes are not properly removed)... hold on a sec.

If you have the proper permissions, you should be able to change all the votes for each listing to zero under "edit poll". Otherwise, someone with additional forum permissions will have to fix it.

If you have the proper permissions, you should be able to change all the votes for each listing to zero under "edit poll". Otherwise, someone with additional forum permissions will have to fix it.

Tried that multiple times already but as soon as someone casts a new vote, the old votes are somehow restored aswell. Seems to be a bug in the forum software.

Deleting the old poll should fix it, but unfortunately I can't do that myself.

Just remove them manually.

oh... this is possible ?? Shame on me... have to search the web for this... :rolleyes: :)

Almost, Altis is very beautyfull... great work from BI !! That you run out of Fuel with little Chopper is more realistic as before... like this !! :)

I found the Object view distance would cause extreme stutter if set past a certain point.

Keeping the view distance and object distance the same, at 5500, the game runs smooth in editor with 35+ fps. With 12k view distance and 5000 object, the game would get 25-30 fps. However it seemed bumping the object view distance with any combination of terrain distance beyond 6000 would cause immense game breaking several seconds of freezing while turning.

Keep in mind this is not a complaint and running at 5500 or 12k/5000 is amazing. But I would like to bring attention to the radical change from perfectly smooth gameplay with 5500. Down to 0-1 fps for several seconds while trying to look around if the object was set at 6000 or beyond. The freezing wouldn't only occur only when looking into dense areas, but also when looking straight up in the sky, or out to sea. Freezing is a result of camera movement and having to unload, then reload objects. Perhaps hitting and surpassing a hard/soft limit on total drawn objects?

Yep same to me even with SSD. It's very annoying that object draw distance rises when you slide view distance because 12K VD makes the ODD over 5K and that seems to be too much for almost any system.

Yep same to me even with SSD. It's very annoying that object draw distance rises when you slide view distance because 12K VD makes the ODD over 5K and that seems to be too much for almost any system.

If you adjust overall view distance first, you can then back object distance down to where you want it. i.e. jack up overall to 12km, and then slide object view down to 500m or whatever.

Had limited time to explore but been very, very surprised by the performance of this map on the below system (using 64 bit W7 and 16Gb RAM). I saw a few 1 sec stutters when charging down roads in a hunter with VD on 3000 and objects on 1500 but otherwise it was smooth (all settings to very high, no AA). I wonder if a RAM disk will help so when I have time will try a small one with the island on to see if that improves anything as I have the memory sitting there anyow. I have three screens with 5040x1050 resolution, and the GPU was reporting 70-99% usage and memory getting up to 2.7Gb at times.

I did try the go kart track just south of the main airport in the centre of the island but a hunter is not built for its tight turns. I did like the terminal buildings in the main airport and was able to scramble over them and take position on the roof. My observation overall is the lack of any smaller objects and clutter (ie the graves in a graveyard I visited were all blank) - maybe coming in the release or left out to assist performance (?), but I am in no way complaining as there is so much to explore and see.

It is a beauty !

cj

If you adjust overall view distance first, you can then back object distance down to where you want it. i.e. jack up overall to 12km, and then slide object view down to 500m or whatever.

Yeah I know. The biggest problem comes when I want to decrease view distance for example from the 12K to 9K then the object draw just grows because I usually keep it at 1,7K and makes the system freeze for some time. It's not very practical. It just would be better if the ODD never follows VD unless VD goes under the ODD.

I think the 0-1 FPS problem should get a dedicated thread in the problems section. This thread can be used for praising, and there should be another one for Altis map criticism/suggestions (I have some... a) one big and thick forest b) higher terrain in islands centre), but don't know if Altis will change at this stage of development). This thread gets too big.

Run's very nicely for me, me and my clanmates had a long drive around yesturday for 3-4 hours, we're loving the island, especially the little details like the wave machines and the amphitheatres and the checkpoints. Well done on this BIS!

I think the 0-1 FPS problem should get a dedicated thread in the problems section. This thread can be used for praising, and there should be another one for Altis map criticism/suggestions (I have some... a) one big and thick forest b) higher terrain in islands centre), but don't know if Altis will change at this stage of development). This thread gets too big.

There already is a thread about it. I think it needs a poll though. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162402-1-2-FPS-on-Altis-and-60-fps-on-stratis

There already is a thread about it. I think it needs a poll though.

Good idea. I put the poll there.