Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

What is this Windows Vista never hard of it ?

Means Windows 8 or something possibly ?

Means Windows 8 or something possibly ?

Oh yeah, Window 8... forgot about that one.

The island is FANTASTIC! LOVE IT! The amount of objects, the detail... hands down the best map in the series.

No FPS issues really, just some stuttering that's annoying.

This is the most comprehensive video tour I've watched so far:

Added Windows 8, but only with extra options on the yes side. (Because polls only allow 10 options.)

There has been quite a lot of changes in some addons (they grew twice the size), could you, please, try to check the integrity of local cache on Steam and try to defragment the drive (if it's not SSD) if you experience issues with fps? We are trying to investigate the cause meanwhile :icon_twisted:

Wait, you seriously weren't aware of the performance issues with the game? Dwarden said 5 months ago that they found some problems and that it would be fixed. Of course, anyone following this issue for years now is pretty skeptical of the answer he gave.

Same kind of thing happens on empty areas of stratis (ie. Agia Marina). GPU usage tanks. The number one contributor (as far as end-user settings adjustments) is object draw distance. Unfortunately, objects make up probably 80% or more of the content rendered on screen, and even setting it object view distance to minimum is not enough to prevent the engine from bottle-necking and crapping out gpu usage on an empty Agia Marina.

This map is the same. Any city causes GPU usage to drop. (there are other things as well, like AI, etc... but, you only have to go into an area that isn't simply rolling landscape to reproduce this issue).

Anyway... just tried Altis out for a few minutes. Predicitably, performance and gpu usage is crap in any city that I went to. GPU usage tanks. FPS goes with it. Got in a little bird and flew around some cities... gpu usage dropping as low as 30%, and fps running at a (typical) horrid 15-20 fps.

Real surprised that a dev is now acting like they are completely unaware of the long-standing performance issues with this game. The performance is exactly what I anticipated (sadly). GPU usage and fps is fine out over water, or on foot in open landscape. GPU usage tanks, and takes fps along with it in cities, or when you start adding vehicles, AI, etc. This is nothing new.

Hop in a little bird, fly around any of the cities. You can watch the engine bottleneck, GPU usage will drop, and take fps with it. Happens in helicopter showcase, and combined arms showcase on Stratis. Happens on an empty airfield, and agia marina on stratis. Happens (so far) on any empty city on Altis. I'm baffled that you are surprised. (and, I mean no offense... but, seriously)

i7 @ 3.97ghz. GTX780.

Windows Vista is Windows Vista. If you haven't heard of it, you've got another Windows.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Wait, you seriously weren't aware of the performance issues with the game? Dwarden said 5 months ago that they found some problems and that it would be fixed. Of course, anyone following this issue for years now is pretty skeptical of the answer he gave.

Come on, please stop talking about some overall FPS issues people more or less suffer from. ITT, we are talking about some very extreme FPS issues with Altis, people report 0-1 FPS. That's what is discussed here.

First impressions after touring for 2 hours: Stunning, absolutely stunning. The attention to detail is out of this world. The whole feeling of a mediteranean island is totally there (comparing it to the 2 mediteranean islands ive actually been to: Gran Canaria and Mallorca)

Performance wise i think it's as to be expected. Average numbers of objects on the screen must've quadrupled from Stratis. The CPU usage is kinda crazy though. Placing yourself in the editor and taking a drive around uses 85/40/60/40 percent on the cores of my i5-2500k overclocked to 4.4ghz. GPU Usage goes down the more viewdistance i use. On 12k ive got 25FPS with my GPU usage only being at around 50%. Turning it down to 5k brings the GPU usage up to around 80-90% (Using a 7850 overclocked to 1100mhz). So all in all the CPU is still extremely important if you want propper performance.

Sometimes my SSD doesnt seem to be able to keep up with loading all the textures, especially on 10k viewdistance+. The game keeps freezing for a second or so until youve turned 360° and the game has loaded all the textures and the terrain, so for me, even with an ssd i just can't get playable performance above 10k viewdistance. In reality i won't use more than 3k anyways though, but damn does Stratis look beautiful with 12k.

@Mobile_Medic, the issue being discussed right now is with the framerate dropping to ~0 FPS on Altis (on some systems), not about general framerate and low CPU/GPU usage issues in the rest of the game.

Please read the thread properly and do not twist this into yet another hardware usage discussion.

No i do not have any major fps issues.I taken a tour with a helicopter and most of the times i had 50-55 fps AND when i was on big cities fps went to 20-25!

Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Cpu O.C 3.8 Ghz

6 Gb Ram

80 GB SSD

Sapphire 7870 XT OC

Windows 8 x64

No logs enabled

Edited by Macedonian gr

Love the island, it's just freaking humongous. The only performance problems I'm having have to do with extreme stutter that drops fps to 2 then back to normal intermittently. I think it has something to do with loading of objects.

@Mobile_Medic, the issue being discussed right now is with the framerate dropping to ~0 FPS on Altis (on some systems), not about general framerate and low CPU/GPU usage issues in the rest of the game.

Please read the thread properly and do not twist this into yet another hardware usage discussion.

Have that problem as well, intermittently... I'm not trying to twist anything. This is the feedback thread for Altis, correct? I gave my feedback. Same ole, same ole. My apologies if I was talking about the *wrong* kind of performance issue... sigh...

only issue i had was when i cranked up the view distance to max....my brst sttings that my rig can muster is 30-35 fps at 4k view....Phenom X6 GTX 470

The island is GORGEOUS! Love the terrain variety (dried out lake bed, brackish swamps, woodsy mountains! Wooot!!) and the detail of the villages. I'm at all settings maxed, 3800 visibility, and getting a solid 60fps over open terrain (which is good enough for me!!), but it does drop to around 35-40 in the bigger town/cities I've visited. Still, it's pretty impressive!! I, too, experienced a few bizarre freeze-up/stutters, but, to be honest, I expected worse!! LOL. Can't wait to explore some more!

Good job arma makers,a bit too african for me ,but still beautiful a very well suited to warfare,pvp fights in Kavala are going to be really funny ... too tired to look for bugs today :)

I've got a lot of stuttering in the flatlands near the main airport.. FPS is somewat ok (around 30).

Other areas that I've tried looks fine.. even the main city where the FPS goes down but no stuttering.

View distance 2800 objects 2400 mostly on standard (but changing options didn't help)

System:

WIN 8 64bit

AMD 945 8gb GTX 460 1gb

-noLogs enabled.

Island is beautifull BTW.

bye

Judging by the poll, it's obvious that this is not a OS issue. Could you make a poll with different graphic cards (Nvidia, ATI, low-end, high-end)?

Judging by the poll, it's obvious that this is not a OS issue.

Damnit that would have been easy!!

You guys, you guys, you guys, this island is just too goddamn freakin' beautiful!

It's like at every stage they went and said, 'how do we make this as kickass as possible?'

Chernarus has a worthy successor in spades. Especially that northeastern port city. Giggling with glee.

Can you create a thread only for performance issues while we keep this one to discuss the awesomeness of Altis?