Is there any progress on decoupling ai path finding from slowing down servers and clients? I think this issue in particular needs resolved as having smart AI at less than 20fps isn't going to be useful.

Too bad to hear that sides and factions still can't be freely configured as needed (and scripted/altered on the fly/in game). Having a fixed set of sides (blufor, opfor, resistance, civilian)? Fine. But not being able to assign factions to the desired side? After all these years?

Is it really *that* hard?

...instead the config entries of whole faction(s) is now being duplicated, such that they still can be used on either side? Besides that this is ugly, prone to errors and barely useable... wouldn't it have been easier to just... :(

Edited by ruebe

Is it just me, or convoys are still impossible to create due to bad AI pathfinding?

Is it just me, or convoys are still impossible to create due to bad AI pathfinding?

It's possible, though sometimes AI decides to overtake and handling of scout vehicles in the convoy is non-existent, you just have to place them enough far away from the main convoy and hope that the convoy doesn't catch up with them.

And when they are stuck, infinite wheel spin,trying desperately go forwards. 0 Khm and never trying to reverse.

It's actually a downgrade,in A2CO if they entered in 'tard mode and hit a house or any obstacle they would usually reverse.Even yesterday I noticed a SUV that was following me crashed into a house(after running over an civ) but it actually reversed and joined back.Too bad they can't do this in A3.

Otherwise they drive ok on open roads but in towns....oh boy,this is me=:936:

It's actually a downgrade,in A2CO if they entered in 'tard mode and hit a house or any obstacle they would usually reverse.Even yesterday I noticed a SUV that was following me crashed into a house(after running over an civ) but it actually reversed and joined back.Too bad they can't do this in A3.

Yes, the AI don't like to use that reverse gear.

I have seen this on occasion in DEV. I assume it happens a lot in STABLE. Which were you in?

I have setup quite a few convoys and on a crash (which is regular but not often for me in kavala anymore) they reversed okish. I bit slow and awkward because the trucks behind had to reverse a bit first but they do do it.

I got a problem in normal branch after release, of ai stuck, it is alive, but don't move, it say, on the way and stuff like but just keep there stuck.. (but no visual stuck)

I wish the AI would communicate with those not in their 'group'. if you set up an enemy 'base', with a bunch of patrols and such, and then shoot someone in one of those patrol groups, the other enemies are none the wiser. it can be ridiculous at times when you shoot someone dead, and the person right next to them doesn't even react (because they're in a different 'group')

I'm not sure if and how "high command" works in this game, but it seems that would be a solution. is there a (fairly simple) way to get many different 'groups' under the control of one commander?

I wish the AI would communicate with those not in their 'group'. if you set up an enemy 'base', with a bunch of patrols and such, and then shoot someone in one of those patrol groups, the other enemies are none the wiser. it can be ridiculous at times when you shoot someone dead, and the person right next to them doesn't even react (because they're in a different 'group')

I'm not sure if and how "high command" works in this game, but it seems that would be a solution. is there a (fairly simple) way to get many different 'groups' under the control of one commander?

The concept of Chain of Command is inexistant in ARMA3.

If the high command module could work for the AI that would be great. All too often I have made battles where half of the enemy team is standing around oblivious to their allies out fighting and dying in the battlefield.

The groups don't always share critical information, I'm not sure how it works though, some time ago I tried to make a script to get past this issue, check my signature for the awareness script. However, such mechanism should be in AI engine, groups close to an event should share the information somehow.

Easiest workaround for this atm is this use Kronzky's UPS (or alternative UPSMON)...

http://kronzky.info/ups/

Ohh, Sniped by afp so maybe his scipt is even easier ;)

/KC

I use DAC, and they have the ability to radio other groups for help. So when you attack/engage a foot patrol, it's not unusual for some armoured help to turn up eventually :)

Yea, forgott about DAC, great stuff but not what I call easy to setup for a new comer.

Also forgott the basic GUARD waypoint method that also works and probably is the easiest way to get surrounding AI groups to react/give support automaticly. Anyway we are probably sliding OT so back to dev build AI...

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

hmm... I'll have to experiment with the guard waypoint. thanks :)

The groups don't always share critical information, I'm not sure how it works though, some time ago I tried to make a script to get past this issue, check my signature for the awareness script. (...)

There is a ticket for that here BUT...

(...) However, such mechanism should be in AI engine, groups close to an event should share the information somehow.

I disagree here, while group sharing of threats is expected naturaly, i would only see this as a default behaviour if some sort of chain-of-command is actually present. Specially since information sharing even between the group has issues. Not until the latter is attended.

In the current state and if implemented as an option, I wouldn't find issue if this was functionality provided by "High Command" module.

So yeah, how hard is it to balance the actions of the AI to be in some middleground between the two current extremes (i.e. complete obliviousness and eagle eyes)? I think the last bit if gameplay today took the cake for me. If I'm a sniper, hiding between bushes, shrubs and trees in a ghillie suit of all things (you know, supposed make you nearly invisible in the current example), taking two potshots at the nearest AI, which is goddamned 1500 meters away, why do I have the Wrath of God coming down on me in form of mortars within seconds of the second shot?

On other missions, I'm like 700 meters away lying in grass (half distance of the example above), no other obstructions, clear in your face line of sight, and I'm popping 30 or more AIs running around like headless chicken, without apparently getting noticed just even once.

Things like this have been happening since the original OFP. One would think the AI got a little more average across the board by now. Things like this spoil the game pretty hard, especially due to the logistics of getting around on Altis.

I know what you mean and fully agree that ghillies should be more effective againt AI's eagle eyes when concealed in vegetation.

Regarding above experience you should definitely try it again on latest dev build released later today since the release version 1.00 had severe AI setbacks.

Edit: Beware, according to latest changelog not all AI fixes is included in todays dev build. Best to wait to do any AI testing/judgement until next weekend. But there are other stuff to test so no worries for me...

Note: your favorite fix from the weeks leading up to release may still be missing - they will come back to devbranch over the next days as we re-publish all add-ons.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

I think there are people here that already reported this but A.I. is super precise as of the current version of the development branch. I gave up on playing the showcases because in veteran difficulty, with A.I. (both friendly and enemy) set to Normal and 0.75 skill, I get one and two shot killed alot of times. Indeed, I would say that 80% of my deaths are due to A.I. overprecision, including situations where they rotate and bam bam good bye. It's also curious that Automatic Riflemen/Machine Gunners, instead of using the LMG in burst, actually shoot in semi-automatic fire with deadly precision which is ridiculous. If this is not fixed in the near future I'm not going to play ARMA3 until it is fixed because its transforming a fun game into a frustrating experience (will continue to create missions though). Or perhaps there's a solution out there which I'm unaware of?

the recent AI changes have been reverted in the so called release version. so all the fixes to robotic insta turn and precsion are gone again for a bit. it would be wise to wait until the changes are officially back in the game. reporting problems before that is literally reporting them based on an old version of the game. very frustrating to have this worse than arma 2 mess again but it'll soon be history again, i'm sure (sure hope so).

the recent AI changes have been reverted in the so called release version. so all the fixes to robotic insta turn and precsion are gone again for a bit. it would be wise to wait until the changes are officially back in the game. reporting problems before that is literally reporting them based on an old version of the game. very frustrating to have this worse than arma 2 mess again but it'll soon be history again, i'm sure (sure hope so).

Was unaware of that, thanks for the information!

the recent AI changes have been reverted in the so called release version. so all the fixes to robotic insta turn and precsion are gone again for a bit.

Yeah, even the echo inside vehicles is back... I wonder obviously working why fixes from the dev branch didn't make it back into the release version...