And here I was thinking after months of doggedly defending the game that I too, was entitled to one self indulgent tirade...... Apparently not

:(

haha! this is like Equilibrium. "no emotions!". you can rage all you want. it simply sucks how it was handled. and last time i checked it's allowed to express your emotion about that.

AI ignoring small animals, but avoiding bigger ones, is as designed. It's the best compromise between gameplay and weird, unnatural and unrealistic driving over everything.

As for rocks, soon AI will be able to reverse and unstuck themselves from them :)

Ok, personally I still think AI drivers should ignore all animals, at least in combat mode, which doesn't seem to make a difference. If the animals would run away when they hear gun shots near them, then that would be good too.

Wild animals should run away from people and such, but domesticated animals like cows and goats have a tendency to just not give a shit about firefights.

Wild animals should run away from people and such, but domesticated animals like cows and goats have a tendency to just not give a shit about firefights.

Gonna have to test this, grabbing gun and going to local farm...

Gonna have to test this, grabbing gun and going to local farm...

Lol, don't forget to drive over the farmers animals and see if they move. :)

AI drivers are now better able to navigate out of obstacle and unstuck themselves[ /QUOTE]

Sweet. I hate it when I command the AI to follow my vehicle while they are in another vehicle....then they get stuck in town / out in the country. Also, in High Command, it gets really annoying when the AI get stuck on their way to battle, then the Opfor AI shoot them while they are stuck :p

Keep up the good work, Gentlemen.

Edited by rehtus777

You guys are doing great stuff, and it's much appreciated. I have one problem, however, where the AI is TOO intelligent (imagine that? LOL). I've been trying to work stealth into missions to no avail as, no matter what I do (save for setting them to "careless", which basically lets me walk up to them and shoot them in the face without so much as an attempt at retaliation), the AI always sees me, even if I'm inside a house 100 yards away. I've even removed NV goggles from the CSAT guys in hopes that, blind in the night, they'd at least be at some sort of disadvantage, but they target and shoot me like they're Riddick or something. Will we ever get a true stealth experience? I don't mean that in a smarmy way; I just want to know if that's something that's being worked on and won't hinder the improvements in intelligence otherwise.

AI drivers are now better able to navigate out of obstacle and unstuck themselves

Well another good significant Ai behavior.

Thanks

Still looking for a significant improvement in driving. Haven't seen it yet, but it is on the way!

Still looking for a significant improvement in driving. Haven't seen it yet, but it is on the way!

Well, before, a driver that hit a house would just stand there and do nothing anymore. Now, after a second or so, they back up and retry, so there is an improvement. It only affects getting out of being stuck. They still happily cut corners and bump into things.

Well, before, a driver that hit a house would just stand there and do nothing anymore. Now, after a second or so, they back up and retry, so there is an improvement

What's funny is that this is what they do in OFP. Anyway, that's a step in the right direction.

I think that new side positions +lean is too overpowered against Ai, they don't even try to shot...even at the 1.0skill

Could someone try to reproduce that? It's certainly possible that the side lean doesn't move the 'head' that the AI uses for a target.

You guys are doing great stuff, and it's much appreciated. I have one problem, however, where the AI is TOO intelligent (imagine that? LOL). I've been trying to work stealth into missions to no avail as, no matter what I do (save for setting them to "careless", which basically lets me walk up to them and shoot them in the face without so much as an attempt at retaliation), the AI always sees me, even if I'm inside a house 100 yards away. I've even removed NV goggles from the CSAT guys in hopes that, blind in the night, they'd at least be at some sort of disadvantage, but they target and shoot me like they're Riddick or something. Will we ever get a true stealth experience? I don't mean that in a smarmy way; I just want to know if that's something that's being worked on and won't hinder the improvements in intelligence otherwise.

it's not about intelligence really but more about automated spotting help. it was fixed at some point and reverted due to the data lock thing for the final release. we're all waiting for the good stuff being readded. i suggest you retry your current scenario when the AI fixes are officially back in the game.

The 3 ai tanks will ignore chickens (and rabbits), and drive through with no problem, but they will avoid all the other animals, dogs, goats, sheeps. I only tested the modules, I don't know about rabbits. They should ignore all animals for gameplay sake.

Sorry, but no, AI should not ignore such animals.

make AI ignore them or the doggy will die!

1f59174bff9815195aa684e76ba41bce870f78d24b45775755f4df87.jpg

goddamn tree hugging animal lovers at BI!

+1 on ignoring animals.

AI drivers swerving and crashing into stuff just to avoid a goat at the side of the road is a pain in the ass and can have a detrimental effect on gameplay. Having them simply run over the goat may cause a brief "WTF moment" to anyone watching, but that's about it.

Rabbits & snakes are ambient and everywhere. So there is this "for sake of the game-play" reason.

But goats, dogs, poultry...are not. Blame the mission designer for placing them in-front of the AI. (The AI will still run them over by accident.)

Don't ask what's the difference between value of rabbit's & chicken's life.

Blame the mission designer for placing them in-front of the AI. (The AI will still run them over by accident.)

The mission designer can not prevent random walking chickens from crossing the street, you know.

Rabbits & snakes are ambient and everywhere. So there is this "for sake of the game-play" reason.

But goats, dogs, poultry...are not. Blame the mission designer for placing them in-front of the AI. (The AI will still run them over by accident.)

Don't ask what's the difference between value of rabbit's & chicken's life.

Would it be possible then to have some animals run away from loud vehicle noise or gunfire?

Or have them run away when you use the horn (would be usefull against civilians aswell).

Would it be possible then to have some animals run away from loud vehicle noise or gunfire?

Or have them run away when you use the horn (would be usefull against civilians aswell).

I would also echo this request - run/walk/stroll (especially the 'smaller' type of animals - Dogs, Chickens, rabbits - The odd Cow not might stand it's ground).

On the flipside - I would imagine (as in real life) that the AI would 'attempt' to avoid any casualties of any type (human/animal) but in the event of an 'extreme situation' (all hell breaking loose) the AI would typically ignore 'animals, and possibly human, especially identified enemy' in its path (they may well hit the 'vehicle horn in the hope anything would move out of the way - which let's hope for the most part, the majority would do).

it's not about intelligence really but more about automated spotting help. it was fixed at some point and reverted due to the data lock thing for the final release. we're all waiting for the good stuff being readded. i suggest you retry your current scenario when the AI fixes are officially back in the game.

Agree and wonder if it would be possible for the dev's to let us know (here or in the change log) when they consider the dev build to be on par (or better) than the dev build just before the final release?

/KC

As a behavior, such "avoidable" animals could have different behavior when on road surfaces as a very simple measure. i.e. either avoid road surfaces completely (not really desired IMO) or that avoidable animals always run on road surfaces. So they would either clear the road quicker, or make "accidental" killings either more likely (and thus the driver can continue) or less likely.