Sign in to follow this  
lev

Arma 3 Inventory Overhaul

Hey guys,

I was wondering what the community thinks about the current inventory system. Personally I think its a great step up from Arma 2 but everytime I use it, I feel like there is still much more to improve upon.

I was thinking of a model that would more realistically reflect how a soldier carries his gear and the weight/space limitations involved as well as allowing more customization options for the player. These changes may require some UI redesigns of the current inventory system and possibly even control changes to allow the player to interact with the model.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, I propose the clothing/gear system to be changed to the following slots:

Type 1: These slots are for placing stuff that goes onto your character and should be shown on the player model

Shoes - yes shoes, because heck if you're gonna go detailed you might as well go all the way and allow the modders to figure out what if anything they want to do with this - I imagine city life mods might make more use of this option

Pants - like the slot describes, basically any pant type clothing would be placed here

Belt - anything from regular leather belts for civies to tactical belts that can hold gear

Inner Torso - includes regular shirts to army fatigues/camo etc

Outer Torso - vests/armor/rebreather whatever other equipment that is worn over uniforms/clothing

Harness - for gear that is strapped outside of the standard vest/armor

Backpack - same purpose as current backpack slot

Wrist - for the watch, watch-compass combo, etc. I'm sure people will think of other things that can be placed in this slot

Neck - for gear that can be slung around the neck such as binocs, compasses, etc

Face - for masks

Glasses - same as current glasses slot

Head - Hats, helmets, etc

Head Mounted - NVGs, head mounted lights/cameras, etc

Holster Slots (for equipping holsters if the article of clothing does not have one itself) - allows the player to equip holsters that can hold weapons such as a pistol or whatever else that comes to mind. There should be a few of these slots available so that if the player so chooses they can have multiple holsters

Front sling - for a easily available rifle that hangs in front of the soldier

L/R shoulder sling - for an extra rifle or a launcher type weapon

In hands - this is for the weapon/item that is currently active and being used by player

Type 2: This type of slot is for stuff that goes into the things that go into type 1 slots. Type 2 items that are visible on the exterior of type 1 objects should be displayed on character models and object models. E.g. a magazine stored in a bandolier should be visible on the soldier and if the bandolier is dropped.

Your clothing/armor/backpacks would have type 2 slots. Any type of gear that would be placed inside clothing/armor/backpacks such as first aid kits, grenades, magazines, etc goes into a type 2 slot. Type 2 slots should be customized for specific items or for large storage.

Type 3: This for attachments onto items

Rifles, pistols, etc are items that would have type 3 slots. Upper barrel (e.g. optics), Under barrel (e.g. launchers, shotguns), Side rail (e.g. lasers, flashlights), Barrel (e.g. suppressors, machine gun replaceable barrels), Magazine, maybe even things for the stock or chamber of the gun, etc are the type of items that would be attached in type 3 slots.

Slot mechanics:

Type 1 items can occupy multiple spaces. This way certain kits/uniforms can be pre-defined so the player would not have to individually select what type of pants/inner torso/etc combo to wear. For instance, a wetsuit would take up the Shoes, Pants, Inner Torso and Head slots which would simulate what occurs now when a player puts on a diving suit.

Type 2 items should have slots as well similar to Arma 2 backpacks and a large storage space similar to how Arma 3 backpacks/vests work. For instance, a bandolier could have 4 grenade type slots, 5 magazine type slots, and an additional pouch that has large storage capacity while a backpack could have a bigger large storage space and only a few or no specified slots. By large storage, I mean similar to how current backpacks and vests work where you can just drop items into the article of clothing without really caring where or how it is placed. While this is a bit more complex, items can more realistically simulate what can be carried in them. I.E. certain vests have certain pouches for holding magazines and grenades and it wouldn't make sense trying to stuff a first aid kit into them.

Type 3 items are working pretty well as they are now but I would like it if BIS expanded this type of item more to include items such as under barrel grenade launchers and bipods. I would really prefer if in the final version of A3, there is only one instance of a type of rifle and then they can be customized with attachments instead of how it currently is with an instance of a rifle and then another instance of it with a grenade launcher. Another thing that BIS might be able to work in would be having magazines being a special instance of a type 3 item that has its own carrying capacity for bullets with weapons containing the same special type 3 slot a magazine does but with a capacity of only 1 to simulate the chamber of the weapon.

I realize there may be concerns with how many items players can carry because of these changes. This should not be a problem as long as items are properly defined by their weight and volume (for large storage purposes). Sure a player may be able to carry up to three rifles and a launcher (sling, 2 shoulder slots and 1 in hand) now but they should also be punished by being over weighted and fatigued. I would not mind if player movement were slowed to a crawl if they decided to pack too much and overweight themselves.

Control mechanics:

This would primarily be updated to support the "In hands" functionality I mentioned above. Basically this simulates the difference between having an item in inventory and actually being used by the player. The controls would be changed so that certain keys map to certain slots. Arma already sort of does this with "b" taking out binocs and replacing the weapon in hand with the binocs. I envision the system act as such:

If the player has no items in hand, pressing a slot assigned to object X would take the object X out of the inventory slot and place it in hand.

If the player has an item, object Y in hand, pressing a slot assigned to object X would place the object X into its original inventory slot (if taken out from there) or place it into an appropriate available inventory slot or drop the item if no slot is available and place the object Y in hand.

If the player has an item, object X in hand and presses the slot that object X originally occupied, object X will be placed in the slot and the "In hand" slot will be empty. If this was a weapon for instance the weapon would be holstered or dropped into a sling.

If a player has no item in hand, and picks up an item, it will be placed in the player's hand.

If the player has an item in hand, and picks up an item, the item will be placed in the appropriate available inventory slot.

All items in hand should have a lowered and readied mode. Lowered will not show up prominently or at all when in default forward facing first person view and readied will have it visible.

Thats the technical description, a real use case would be like the following:

If the player is holding Rifle X in hand (originally in the front sling), and has Rifle Y in a shoulder sling, by pressing Rifle Y's slot, the soldier would place Rifle X in the front sling and pull out Rifle Y. The animation would be designed such that the character smoothly releases Rifle X into the front sling and then swings out Rifle Y from his shoulder into his hands.

What do you guys think? Is the current system sufficient or would you prefer something a bit more complex that allows for more in depth customization like this? Any other thoughts/suggestions/criticisms?

I really dont see the need to change my shoes or pants individually... this is still arma and not second life. Also this is hardly an overhaul what you suggested. Its more like scrap& start from scratch since all the models have to be edited to make this work.

All we need are some more tabs to filter boxes and inventory:

* weapons

* magazines

* backbacks

* vests

* uniforms/clothing

* helmets

* items for weapons (silencers, flashlight...)

* other items (maps, binocular, NVG)

An extra slot for masks (balaclava, skull masks, tacticool stuff; or even misc things that modder may come up with later) you be welcome, other than that things seems fine to me.

But the Inv GUI could have some improvments, taking attachments from guns on the ground or so is a pain right now. Also (active) itens in the backpack should be avaible right away, without the need to thave them "at hand"?

What I think would add functionality is to make it so that you can open weapons the way you open backpacks.It will make it easier to just grab a suppressor or optics off ground.

What I think would add functionality is to make it so that you can open weapons the way you open backpacks.It will make it easier to just grab a suppressor or optics off ground.

^ Definitely!!!!

Trouble is there are lots of separate tickets related to this so its hard to know which one to vote on.

Lev, sorry but I think your idea is too complicated.

This is a game after all and while it should be flexible and aimed at realism it shouldn't get too fiddly.

Besides it would require a huge amount of work on the animation system (new motion captures and integration). It just won't happen at this stage of development.

Edited by EDcase

What about socks and eyes for different contact lenses?

the only thing i'd like to see is upper and lower body being separate. with the additional vest slot the possibilities would be endless. but i'm pretty sure it won't happen. even just a config property for customizing what gets hidden what putting on a piece of clothes would help a lot. much like it's already there for under water hidden selections.

Great Idea.

Do it. Do it now.

Rgds

LoK

Can we have a cod-piece section? Oh and I want to wear a feather in my hair too ... slot for that one.

I know what the OP was trying to say, but what we have is so much better than we have had before.

Definitely agree that this inventory system is way better, and better looking (In my opinion) than Arma 2. While I am used to Arma 2's inventory system, I picked up the new one quickly.

Edited by noAnchor

I already had that idea, but I was afraid to post. :p

I don't think there's need for such in-depth customization, while it would be nice to have it would take a lot of development time. I think the only extra slots we need are:

-Back slot for weapons on the back, so you could carry two primary weapons (As long as they're not too heavy unless you're willing to suffer the fatigue)

-Mask (for balaclava, gas mask over your helmet)

And better weapon customization:

-Upper rail(Optics/sights)

-Lower rail(Grenade launcher, foregrip, bipod, T-Pod(foregrip and bipod)

-Left rail(Leaf sight/GL reddot, laser sight, flashlight)

-Right rail (laser sight, flashlight)

-Barrel cover (flash hider, flash suppressor, recoil compenstator, silencer or nothing)

This is the only post making sense

Indeed, some kind of "open item" is needed, appliable to containers like backpacks or vest, plus weapons.

I remember Brigade E5 (and 7.62 later) having a pretty good inventory system where you easily could access containers and items

http://i1-games.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/6-917_3.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/3752/shot20090512120810.jpg

Edited by afp

it would be cool also if you can swap the barrel and the upper receiver , thus allowing to change ammo type and barrel lenght .

By now your only option is to carry two rifles.

Just take some inspiration from RPGs inventory systems ...

The current implementation is somewhat inspired by RPG inventory systems, it's just that it's admittedly limited in level of detail/specificity.

What you want is a Jagged Alliance 2 patch 1.13 (mod) inventory type. I still wait for the day games will use that inventory sistem on a regular basis.

What do you guys think? Is the current system sufficient or would you prefer something a bit more complex that allows for more in depth customization like this? Any other thoughts/suggestions/criticisms?

You're coming from the Altis Life world, right? I think BIS should leave it as it is. We have other problems. Driving AI or opening doors...

I would rather spend my time getting into battle than primping in front of the ammo crates asking "Do these cammies make me look fat"? This is a military shooter GAME not dress up Ken & Barbie.

I think going in to too much detail is not worth the trouble/too much micromanaging. If we go all out in the inventory, what's stopping from overhauling vehicle driving so that you have to micromanage every little button and knob in the cockpit, etc...arguably these things are left out because they aren't fun anymore. They're just tedious.

The simple additions (e.g. opening a weapon directly, better weapon customization) that will affect gameplay and usability in a positive way are cool.

Not knocking on any of the other ones though. These are really cool ideas.

Just my two cents.

Opening weapons directly is a really awesome suggestion!

I'm sure it'd be cool, but I dunno about the performance aspects of the engine having to keep track of a half dozen items (clothes, shoes, jacket, undershirt, etc.) as opposed to just one regular uniform like currently.

Let me contribe my 0.1$ here :)

I personaly like the Arma 3 inventory as it is,only thing it is bothering me is i can`t have Balaclava and NVG`s but shure there is mod for that what i would like that evrything is same and we only get few more slots like for HEAD (Helmet,NVG`s,Balaclava,headset :) )

body leave evrything like it is then

-Back slot for weapons on the back, so you could carry two primary weapons (As long as they're not too heavy unless you're willing to suffer the fatigue)

-Mask (for balaclava, gas mask over your helmet)

And better weapon customization:

-Upper rail(Optics/sights)

-Lower rail(Grenade launcher, foregrip, bipod, T-Pod(foregrip and bipod)

-Left rail(Leaf sight/GL reddot, laser sight, flashlight)

-Right rail (laser sight, flashlight)

-Barrel cover (flash hider, flash suppressor, recoil compenstator, silencer or nothing)

I totaly agree on this for weapon if we have posibility to add atachments on rifles lets YOLO it and do it wright :)

And please...is there any way to get pistol holster working i begg you!!!! If i have pistol in inventory if i have animation can i atleast see it in holster :D

masks would be very good although this could be combined with the helmet class?

I think torso and legs should be separate though could open more possibilities