Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

AI Improvement

Can't for the life of me get a single AT guy to pull out his launcher on Ifrit/Hunter?!? Is that not considered an armour threat to AI or are they more broke in this aspect than before...?

I've seen the AI fires rocket at those vehicles before... me being just a spectator as a civilian...

To be honest I don't last long enough in any engagement to see the ai in action. I'm still one shot head shotted, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, running at full pelt perpendicular to the ai, boom, dead. Prone behind a rock peeking out (where incidentally you cannot see the enemy that shoots you thanks to the grass) boom, dead. Looking st some trees on an opposite ridge, boom, dead. ( through the trees you can't see though.)

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for the ai to be smarter, but for me, it's still a massive challenge since I'm fighting a crap computer, the game mechanics, and then the ai!

AI precision to 0.15 - 0.2 in YourName.ArmA3AlphaProfile for both friendlies and enemies -> problem temporarily solved.

people have mentioned the profile method is broken. better do it in the mission init.sqf like this

{

_x setSkill ["aimingspeed", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spotdistance", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["aimingaccuracy", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["aimingshake", 0.1];

_x setSkill ["spottime", 0.1];

} forEach allUnits;

works great for me. they are very aware still but especially on long distances they have a harder time hitting you.

Profile method is not broken.

You also nerf AI a lot with those commands btw. Only aiming precision is the issue but spot time and spot distance are way too low. It will make AIs ignorant of their surroundings.

I play with precision set to 0.2 and skill to 1.0 in profile.

Makes AI just right.

{

} forEach allUnits;

To do this, do you just make a blank text file with these lines pasted in and then save in the same mission folder as the .pbo file and name it init.sqf???

To do this, do you just make a blank text file with these lines pasted in and then save in the same mission folder as the .pbo file and name it init.sqf???

You can't add files to .pbo -they're already encased. Either de-pbo (by grabbing the tools, insert and re-pbo (zip it up), or use for missions that aare already in file format ie.. any missions that you make in your documents/Arma3/missions folder.

Yea I am at the stage where I have the .pbo unzipped. So I literally just copy paste those lines (with .25 rather than 0.1 though?) exactly at the end of the init.sqf and then re-zip it all yea??

Well test it first in the editor to make sure its all working just in case -that way you won't have to keep pbo/de-pbo'ing ad nauseum

On a different AI note - the AI scuba guys seem to have a real problem with knowing when to change bewteen UW and standard ammo. When fights sweep along a beachside they can get very confused. I've seen no way to force ChangeMagazine on the fly. Didn't OFP have order commands to tell AI to change weapon/ammo type?

Edited by froggyluv

Profile method is not broken.

i heard and experienced otherwise several times but maybe you're right.

You also nerf AI a lot with those commands btw. Only aiming precision is the issue but spot time and spot distance are way too low. It will make AIs ignorant of their surroundings.

I play with precision set to 0.2 and skill to 1.0 in profile.

Makes AI just right.

i was sharing the method not the values. i figured people would be smart enough to figure out that the numbers are the values ;)

anyways those values absolutely don't "break" the AI. you should play with them for a while. they are less extreme than they look.

{

} forEach allUnits;

For the last line, would anyone know the correct code to use if you wanted it to effect 1 side only (i.e. EAST)?

you could do this:

{
if (side _x == east) then {
};
} forEach allUnits;

ah, of course! Thank you Gammadust, much appreciated.

i heard and experienced otherwise several times but maybe you're right.

On a CiA server we first played with ~0.28 precision set in profile. We still got one shot a lot or sniped too fast with rapid fire.

When we set it to 0.15 in server config - AI precision became about right and rapid fire behaved more like suppression fire.

Likewise when playing SP I played it both with default values and manually edited. Low precision value like 0.15 makes all the difference.

Be careful though - the moment you move AI difficulty slider even a little bit in Game Options and hit OK it WILL reset the value in cfg.

On a CiA server we first played with ~0.28 precision set in profile. We still got one shot a lot or sniped too fast with rapid fire.

When we set it to 0.15 in server config - AI precision became about right and rapid fire behaved more like suppression fire.

Likewise when playing SP I played it both with default values and manually edited. Low precision value like 0.15 makes all the difference.

Be careful though - the moment you move AI difficulty slider even a little bit in Game Options and hit OK it WILL reset the value in cfg.

Hmmm... will have to test this again as my first trials with .profile settings on dedicated were not successful.... is this something that has changed since the patch released last week?

Was hoping this would be the first game with decent driving, but no.

Was hoping this would be the first game with decent driving, but no.

Rather early to say that, seeing as the game isn't released yet.

Why can`t BIS use some of the AI already created by modders?

TPWCAS fixes so the AI take cover and/or run away when supressed.

ASR AI makes the AI take cover behind corners, bushes, trees and on..

SLX makes the AI drag team mates to safe areas so they can heal.

Why can`t BIS use some of the AI already created by modders?

TPWCAS fixes so the AI take cover and/or run away when supressed.

ASR AI makes the AI take cover behind corners, bushes, trees and on..

SLX makes the AI drag team mates to safe areas so they can heal.

This . Please Bohemia Interactive for the love of your whole community : Message the mod creators from all these mods and get the agreement to implement them into ARMA 3 !

This . Please Bohemia Interactive for the love of your whole community : Message the mod creators from all these mods and get the agreement to implement them into ARMA 3 !

You would have to substitute ASR ai with GL4 & Zeus to get really good ai, taking proper cover and using great tactics..

Hmmm... will have to test this again as my first trials with .profile settings on dedicated were not successful.... is this something that has changed since the patch released last week?

No it was like that from the start I think. On the dedicated server said settings were changed 3 weeks ago.

You would have to substitute ASR ai with GL4 & Zeus to get really good ai, taking proper cover and using great tactics..

Unless Zeus has been improved since when the development ceased it's still a bad call. Because Zeus makes AI a lot lot worse. It may seem cool that they prefer cover above all else but they just end up getting shot in the back. And TPWCAS LOS module doesn't work with Zeus meaning AI will be blind to you within 10 or even 20 meters.

Typical Zeus AI reaction to seeing the enemy is 'turn around and run for cover' instead of 'shoot him' like it's with TPWCAS LOS and ASR.

Edited by metalcraze

I've heard that for legal reasons this is a complete no-go, the only "workaround" would be to hire out the modders outright... and considering what some devs have alluded to about how complex the AI already is and how some things are designed around the AI... I'm suspecting that it's actually way, way too late to substantively change the AI at this point. :(