Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

AI Improvement

This is true, the AI does like to take cover but they just dont know in urban combat where the threat is coming from. Sometimes they have no clue that their teammate is killed infront of them so they run into the same danger. the ai issue has been long standing and i expect this time (2013 arma3) real change because i play with my self all the time in the editor as the multiplayer is difficult with all the stutter.

Have you tried manually ordering your units to Danger/stealth? select all - 7 - 2 will do it. They use cover & stances all the time then.

Listen carefully to this :) A mission can play out totally differently dependent on whether you issue this command to the team (as team lead).

In the infantry showcase you can not, since you are not leader

I agree with Jex that mods only complicate things and the base product should be satisfactory that AI mods wouldn't be necessary (tis my dream).As Wiki said the AI's behavour in convoy is still frustrating, vehicles running into each other, moving out of column instead of waiting for the lead vehicle to find the way, AI dismounting and remounting one at a time from the same side of the vehicle, convoys with a mix of tracked and wheeled vehicles fail to coordinate movement.

And then there is helicopter insertion and extraction, to allow the helicopter to hover just off the ground or hover above ships or buildings for fast roping (if this is to be included) this would be my expectation. AI piloting attack helicopters should be able to select the full aray of weapons available and use nap of the earth to fly and engage targets. When flying waypoints they shouldn't be flaring up 50', but slow as they approach a turn to maintain the same altitute.

I decided to do a test if AI really sees through stuff in ArmA3 as all too many people complain.

Turns out it doesn't.

However AI knows where the enemy is at all times no matter what. This means that they will know the enemy is behind a bush but they will shoot him only when they will have direct view. You can run away behind 2 hills and then change direction and they will still know where you are. It's as if the game keeps feeding them info about the enemy soldier's position.

This issue is pretty severe so please upvote this ticket

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8204

Here's a related video

Edited by metalcraze

Indeed this is a BIG problem.

Wasn't this the same in A2, i remember a lot of complaining about not being able to "re-hide" after once being spotted and experienced the same myself.

I voted, this breaks immersion.

I voted, this breaks immersion.
I'd say less "immersion-breaking" and more "there isn't much point (in benefit vs. risk) to breaking concealment/cover to find a different concealment/cover for the purposes of attempting to 'escape' enemy detection".

Yikes!!

I'd say game breaker :( For all intensive purposes this is just about the same as the enemy seeing you thru all cover. This is really bad and I just don't see how this has happened in Arma 3 (yes, I know, Alpha) as I'm sure I've seen video proof that AI lose KnowsAbout when out of LOS in Arma 2. I knew something just didn't feel instinctively right about the AI's prowess and this just confirms it.

Good find Metalcraze, this needs fixen ASAP.

as I'm sure I've seen video proof that AI lose KnowsAbout when out of LOS in Arma 2

In A2 I've made and played some stealth missions with "stealth kills" using suppressed weapons and it was almost always possible to ditch AI and watch them chase ghosts with enough skill. So it wasn't the case in A2... Not after patches anyway.

But right now in ArmA3 they will always track your exact location. I also tried this in Agia Marina, trying to ditch AI by running behind houses - but they always know my exact position and keep chasing even if they don't see me. I think something knowsAbout-related is really broken at the moment. In my video you can even see one of the AIs permanently having knowsAbout 4 (which is maximum) in Troopmon output. Even when there's a hill between us.

And yeah - it is a severely gamebreaking issue. While AI won't shoot you unless they have direct vision of you (although they will still try to suppress) - it's simply impossible for you or even friendly AI of yours to flank the enemy. Since AIs will always know where enemies are once they spotted them and will anticipate them coming from any direction even after them retreating.

Needs fixing ASAP.

Edited by metalcraze

In A2 I've made and played some stealth missions with "stealth kills" using suppressed weapons and it was almost always possible to ditch AI and watch them chase ghosts with enough skill. So it wasn't the case in A2... Not after patches anyway.

But right now in ArmA3 they will always track your exact location. I also tried this in Agia Marina, trying to ditch AI by running behind houses - but they always know my exact position and keep chasing even if they don't see me. I think something knowsAbout-related is really broken at the moment. In my video you can even see one of the AIs permanently having knowsAbout 4 (which is maximum) in Troopmon output. Even when there's a hill between us.

And yeah - it is a severely gamebreaking issue. While AI won't shoot you unless they have direct vision of you (although they will still try to suppress) - it's simply impossible for you or even friendly AI of yours to flank the enemy. Since AIs will always know where enemies are once they spotted them and will anticipate them coming from any direction even after them retreating.

Needs fixing ASAP.

If true I will vote this up. I seem to remember though that it was also the case in ArmA 2 - initially. It got fixed after a while and from there it was possible to lose the AI. So the fix is definitely possible.

*edit*

Voted up :) losing the AI is one of the gameplay elements I enjoy.

Edited by DMarkwick

It sort of goes along with the bad ai theme in Arma 3. When shot at they run into the open to see where the shots are fired from, instead of going into cover or at least somewhere not out in the open.

Tracking you along the hillside from the other side is not really that surprising, although a good test. Its what you would imagine they would do for inferior ai, stream them knowledge most of the time, same with the great shooting abilities, although that can be altered.

Suppressing is great, has been done well in the series for quite a while, but suppress somewhere you know someone is hiding, when they start suppressing you, when you know they shouldn’t know your there, it starts to look bad.

Its what I’m really worried about most of all for A3, with below par ai the game just won’t stack up the same as modded A2.:(.

Indeed this is a BIG problem.

Wasn't this the same in A2, i remember a lot of complaining about not being able to "re-hide" after once being spotted and experienced the same myself.

This was the situation in A2:

(For those who cant be bothered to watch, worked fine for objects, was broken for grass)

When i get back home ill make an A3 version of this video and see how it plays out.

I voted. I feel this issue MUST be addressed, if not during Alpha certainly before the full release!

Grass was mostly fixed in ArmA2 though in one of the patches.

However the fix wasn't ideal.

For example if you were laying in the grass standing AI wouldn't see you

But if you were to lay on the asphalt with grass in between you and standing AI - it would spot you.

It seemed to take into account only objects obscuring its view and objects obscuring you (or any other enemy for that matter) but not grass in between.

The knowledge of this nuance saved my skin many times vs AI

As you can see in this video neither the laying shooter nor standing team can spot each other.

They will however spot the laying dude from 5m in such tall grass... which is actually realistic.

I also like how AI tries to predict enemy position even though it doesn't see them (and without any success too).

Edited by metalcraze

Unfortunately I'm reminded of (who was it, Dan Musil?) a BI dev outright saying "no progress" when asked last year about AI seeing through grass...

I had a mission that I ran in the editor with me and a copilot spawning in an MH9 on the Stratis airfield. I had placed some opfor on the other side of the island for target practice.

The moment we spawned on the ground, my copilot immediately called out threats/targets, that were the distant-behind-hills opfor. Must be related to this bug. Definitely voted up!

-OP

Probably completely unrelated but I had issues in A2/OA using guard waypoints, not sure if it was just me or a bug but AI with guard waypoints instantly knew about enemy regardless of where they were in relation to each other on map unless you synced to a trigger using 'detected by xxxfor'

Grass was mostly fixed in ArmA2 though in one of the patches.

Cool, havent studied the newer versions of A2, had given up hope that they would ever fix it. :)

Probably completely unrelated but I had issues in A2/OA using guard waypoints, not sure if it was just me or a bug but AI with guard waypoints instantly knew about enemy regardless of where they were in relation to each other on map unless you synced to a trigger using 'detected by xxxfor'

Groups with guard (and sentry?) waypoints share knowledge about enemies between each other, it is a feature.

Groups with guard (and sentry?) waypoints share knowledge about enemies between each other, it is a feature.

No I mean they knew of enemy on mission start, place a helo with a guard wp at one end of Chernarus and an enemy rifleman at the other end, the helo instantly knows about rifleman, at least it was for me unless I synced wp with spotted by trigger.