Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

Hey guys ... have you seen 1st post update ?

[quote name= RoyaltyinExile

]- we've delayed its initially planned release, in part due to the transition between PhysX 2-3

- it's now intended to be released some time after Gamecom 2012, which we're attending this year

-since this implementation itself - and particularly its integration into multiplayer - is central to the game, we felt there was no point in releasing an 'alpha' untll these fundamentals were in place

- it'll offer a quite limited set of content to begin with, with more released as we can

- the showcase at E3 2012 gives you a good idea of the basic content that we'd hope to package with a release

- we're actively working on the details of what will be on offer and how it will be accessed. Expect a formal announcement with simple, clear details soonâ„¢

So we are going to wait "until it's done" © Bohemia Interactive

I fear this is already copyrighted by id Software :D j/k

Hey guys ... have you seen 1st post update ?

aka soonâ„¢ :D

It will be interesting to know how exactly we can access it. It was called "PACA" which could relate to Pay and Contribute Alpha which would be a very good decision in my opinion!

aka soonâ„¢ :D

It will be interesting to know how exactly we can access it. It was called "PACA" which could relate to Pay and Contribute Alpha which would be a very good decision in my opinion!

Ah, well reasoned regarding the meaning of "PACA". I kept reading it in RiE's post, thought briefly about what it could mean, but never made the connection to "pay and contribute".

Carrier Command used this option as well and I think it was working really good with the seperate "CIT" like forum for bugs and suggestions. CC might have been the successful testbed for this concept.

As long as anyone can try it if they pay I will happilly give BIS my money.

Would that mean that I have to buy a digital copy of the game? Damn I wan´t a boxed one....

Would that mean that I have to buy a digital copy of the game? Damn I wan´t a boxed one....

+1

ArmA III is a paradigm shift, not having it in your hands would be akin to blasphemy. You could do many things with the DVD itself... which I won't mention. :blush:

I think it's more blasphemous to complain about this rather than just getting both a digital and physical copy. ;)

We are now busy working on the public community alpha which is due for release in this autumn. It will be similar to our E3 hands-on demo, but it will contain the 2D mission editor and allow modifications. I am confident we will be able to showcase many major improvements and new features in this early build and give the community an excellent toy to ease their waiting for the final game.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun interview: Bohemia Talk Arma 3, Modding, Day Z

wow, so we will get bunch of mods before A3 release already, thats just awesome!

Big warm hug to BIS everyone!

It will certainly be a good starting point for mod and mission makers so we can enjoy higher quality missions/mods earlier in the games lifetime.

Besides, without those two things, BI would probably lose some of the bug-spotting potential on features/commands/configs that do not get an official "we-need-some-focus-on-these-features" treatment.

That was a really nice interview, something that you can barely see from other big developers out there. This part may drive crazy some nuts around here:

The setting also allows the team to have some rest from the pressure associated with replicating reality and focus more on the actual gameplay.

IMO, they are right.

2D Editor...

Fast Forward to 2013 and we will still press ALT+E to get to the 3D Editor :o

Time to get designs for the AUG A4 finished ;)

Or should I just work on AUG for arma 2 first :o

That was a really nice interview, something that you can barely see from other big developers out there. This part may drive crazy some nuts around here:

IMO, they are right.

Indeed, besides, people were generally complaining about the innacuracies of almost every bit of hardware there was and in the end remade it if they were bothered too much.

Bit dissapointed to hear about the editor though, I really hope they make it 3D or at least make the 3D extra more stable by A3's release. Imo the ability to see where you are placing things and maneuver them accordingly in real time, as opposed to seeing them represented via icon, placing the objects and then going in, guessing the distance to fix and having to do that who knows how many times, would open a dozen new doors in mission design.

Check spoiler for example if you want.

You're in the sky, so high that you can not only see but also walk through the clouds, watching them slowly travel across the great blue. As you look down you see through what appears to be a glass-like path, reflecting gently from the sky, gleaming within the sunlight as the ocean below shimmers brightly, vast and stretching as far as the eye can see. As you look back up your gaze is met by an almost ethereal scene of many curious structures, both open and closed, of all shapes and sizes, yet all gleam within the sun. Through a great tunnel you can see one structure that besets all others, a giant tower resting within the center, the shadow cast across all of the floating whatever the hell this is.

Just a very rough idea but such a thing would require several "pieces" and there is no way you'd ever be able to string it together in a short time.. Other more practical idea include a large hollow structure with "lego" guts that you add in yourself, tailoring the rooms to what you want them.

Edited by NodUnit

But did they say there would be no 3D editor at release?

No, they didn't. They are basically saying "We aren't done with the 3D editor yet, so you only get to test the 2D editor in the Community Alpha".

No, for all we know the 3D editor is still in their plans. They must be releasing the 2D version so that we can make our own scenarios and test mods with the Alpha build. I'm sure the 3D version will ship with the 1.0 version.

Kung-fu'd

Looks good, according to the RPS article they will include both the 2D editor AND mod support in the community alpha, so we'll get to play around quite a bit.

Yes indeedy, big props to BI on that one, be it alpha or beta I've never heard of actually supporting and encouraging modding, I wonder what they are looking for in that decision.

Yes indeedy, big props to BI on that one, be it alpha or beta I've never heard of actually supporting and encouraging modding, I wonder what they are looking for in that decision.

Well, other than really good PR, probably they have made some changes to the way mods are handled, and want to get user feedback on that.