Sign in to follow this  
royaltyinexile

Arma 3 Community Alpha - Announcement!

Wow. Really jacked to see a Alpha coming so soon. Can't believe I've been playing one series of games for over 10 years and never finding a better one to play. Keep it up BI!

I have experience with BI alphas. I had Armed Assault 1.0.

Oops that's sneaky :D

Is there already something out about how to report bugs / errors we find in the alpha? (A dev forum / a Bug Button in the game or like rules about how to describe how to recreate errors etc Needing of screens or videos, logfiles?); Or a specific Hardware required for testing (dunno if the devs want to concentrate on a specific hardware, could be?).

Our what languages should beta reports written in?

Anything alpha / beta testing related..

Is there already something out about how to report bugs / errors we find in the alpha? (A dev forum / a Bug Button in the game or like rules about how to describe how to recreate errors etc Needing of screens or videos, logfiles?); Or a specific Hardware required for testing (dunno if the devs want to concentrate on a specific hardware, could be?).

Our what languages should beta reports written in?

Anything alpha / beta testing related..

I think BIS will set up their own tracker, as they did with Carrier Command. Reports should be in english.

That made me chuckle.

Good work.

On a side note, have they mentioned if we will have multiplayer and editor capabilities in the alpha?

It'd be a great time to report bugs and allow us mission devs to get started on porting our stuff over so it's ready for release.

Don't want to spoil anybodies soup, but they didn't exactly say "Alpha in June" but more something like "somewhen after E3", that could be even August ... but yeah, can't wait for it either :)

"The Game"

:mad: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

10 FPS will be worth it :p

hell yeah,

i'd be happy to help making arma3 a better game at release day - its in my own best interest!

Did they say anything other than they would select testers based on system configs? or is that the only deciding factor? But I'm glad to see people here understand the point of a beta\alpha! I have done beta's\alpha's on a few games and at times it was very difficult to help the devs because of all the Flamers who used the alpha like a glorified beta and raged the whole time about issues and "lack of features."

Did they say anything other than they would select testers based on system configs? or is that the only deciding factor? But I'm glad to see people here understand the point of a beta\alpha! I have done beta's\alpha's on a few games and at times it was very difficult to help the devs because of all the Flamers who used the alpha like a glorified beta and raged the whole time about issues and "lack of features."

I believe one of the devs said the alpha would be open to all.

That is unusual given the reasons stated above... but if that were the case that would be nice for... well most of us... but still I would hope the community here is full of good testers.

Here from a PC Gamer interview, February 23 2012.

How many people do you expect to participate in the Community Alpha?

- Jay Crowe, Creative Director: Well, we’re talking about an alpha build of the game. We accept that it’s not something that those with only a passing interest would get involved in. Rather, we’d expect that our community will be the driving force behind this initial offering, at least.

Musil: We have no limits, though – anyone interested is welcome! This will be an iterative process and we will appreciate any proper feedback. If we took a guess, there could be thousands.

Crowe: You only need to look at the success and popularity of similar alpha releases to see that, if it begins to gain momentum, such previews can generate large numbers of really passionate players.

From such statements we can get no clue, for the 1st part I had underlined seems to tell there will be some limitations and the 2nd part tells us there will be none :confused:

for the 1st part I had underlined seems to tell there will be some limitations

That's not how I understand it. He uses the word "would", implying willingness - so I believe he expects people with only a passing interest in Arma3 would not want to get involved in an alpha test - not that they wouldn't be allowed.

That's not how I understand it. He uses the word "would", implying willingness - so I believe he expects people with only a passing interest in Arma3 would not want to get involved in an alpha test - not that they wouldn't be allowed.

That's how I interpreted it too, everyone is welcome but some wouldn't have any interest in participating.

But AFAIK those "would have interest" are those willing to pay for access to the alpha (like e.g. with CarrierCommand); I understood it will work the same. Pay upfront and get access to the Alpha. Am I wrong?

I understood it will work the same. Pay upfront and get access to the Alpha. Am I wrong?

As of our current information: yes, you are wrong.

I am fairly sure that by the time they release the alpha our bug hunting/impurfection nailing instinct is already so hungry for victims.

As of our current information: yes, you are wrong.

Thanks for the correction, I guess. No idea where I got it from ... so that was A grade for me for distributing FUD ...

I understood it like you you guys, as in they expect the community the people with real interest in the game and not just blow Joe CoD lover who says OOOOHHHH PRETTTY :tounge:

I've been looking forward to this ever since the announcement. Personally I'd like the P&C model from Carrier Command for this with the same fair-pricing depending on which version to choose, my wallet sure would be happier with that. I hope we'll get to know more about the process already during the E3, but that's just my excitement talking :)

Could someone add the new information to the OP. There is grade school recess going on across the street from me right now, and the atmosphere in this thread is identical, making it hard to sift through.

No one knows. As far as everyone is concerned it will be a PUBLIC ALPHA, means everyone will have access until BI says otherwise.

They got my money, I would suggest going with the P&C model (I simply dont want to see the community get flooded by kiddies complaining the game isnt working like a retail release).