Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Best. Blog. Ever.

Love the new cocky guy strut (looks like my workout partner), games got some attitude now -and thats a good thing.

I think I've watched this teaser more than the original ArmA 3 teaser trailer. Already.

I´ve found the exact location shown in the video

39°31'27.07"N

24°59'52.79"E

on Agios Efstratios, camera view roughly to the east.

The small island in the background is at

39°32'21.95"N

25° 3'43.47"E

The crossroads that can be seen at 0:26 are at

39°31'19.77"N

25° 0'17.82"E

Edited by Tonci87

I´ve found the exact location shown in the video

Excellent!

And as expected, the sun rises in the east in Arma 3 as well. Pure realism!! :yay:

AND I'm so happy that the ground textures are just perfect - also in the distance!

The big radar dome doesn´t seem to be present IRL, or I can´t find it.

The estimated location is at

39°30'39.68"N

25° 0'51.14"E

AND I'm so happy that the ground textures are just perfect - also in the distance!
Wut? Look at 0:26 - it's really bad from about 50m

Sweet trailer. Some personality in the animations are great.

From the blog, the question I found the most interesting, which seemed to be a round about way of asking "Will animations still queue, have delays, and rockuy interpolation?" was "What about the way the game engine handles the animations and new movements? Will there be any improvements at a more technical level?"

The answer is a bit vague but keeps me optimistic. I'd say if nothing else changes other than ragdoll and new animations with some personality, I'd be happy. But I'd be ecstatic if improved in every other aspect as well.

You can be happy - BIS listened about giving more freedom with stances.

And I hope "tactical pace" is adequate enough. Can't wait for community alpha.

Wut? Look at 0:26 - it's really bad from about 50m

I think that what you think is bad is the quality of the video. :) I'm talking especially about the coloration of the ground in the distance, compared to the ground and grass nearby. A bad example would be Chernarus IMO.

Only thing I could find wrong with this vid is that all the guys seem to walk in the same way... But it's such awesome animation it doesn't even matter, and I'm sure there will be more variation in walking ie. holding the gun with both hands. Otherwise video is amazing. One thing that stood out was the gear the guys were wearing. It's bulkier than in arma 2 and actually sits on them in a realistic way. In a2 it sometimes seemed that the gear soldiers were wearing was moulded into them rather than being a seperate piece.

Everything looks awesome. Keep it up bis! Can't wait for the 19th.

I think that what you think is bad is the quality of the video. :) I'm talking especially about the coloration of the ground in the distance, compared to the ground and grass nearby. A bad example would be Chernarus IMO.

No, he is just polish... and being polish... I should know ;)

Omg, stances and recoil and yesssssssssss

Just don't forget to get rid of the lens flare on the camera.

I wouldn't mind lens flare in 3rd person, since it represents a camera anyways, but if it stays in 1st person as well, it should at least be toned down if not removed at all.

I wouldn't mind lens flare in 3rd person, since it represents a camera anyways, but if it stays in 1st person as well, it should at least be toned down if not removed at all.

And reenabled if you wear glasses/eye protection

:)

Just noticed that in the clip the guys hand goes between open and balled into a fist. It may not seem like much of a thing until you remember that through the arma series, hands have remained static and have only have five positions. Rifle/MG, mounted weapon, launcher, salute, and when weaponless (outside of saluting) the hand fingers remain in the same position the whole time.

new animation system, maximum happiness, that should do the trick.:rolleyes:

hand animation - nice. They put animations into animations. The possibilities...

Just noticed that in the clip the guys hand goes between open and balled into a fist. It may not seem like much of a thing until you remember that through the arma series, hands have remained static and have only have five positions. Rifle/MG, mounted weapon, launcher, salute, and when weaponless (outside of saluting) the hand fingers remain in the same position the whole time.
Also, we're focusing upon animating character's fingers – micro-motions, hands gripping things properly, etc. These are small details, but they add a lot to the impression.

This + facial animations is a big improvement in my book.

Umm you mean for a general animation cycle? Because in gestures the fingers could move :)

I'm a little worried about this "careless"/"safe" walking animation. The earlier ones were compact enough so this "cloning" effect could hardly be noticed, except for the legs of course. But this lazy left arm looks strange. I hope there are going to be some different cycles for reduced cloning. :)

Aah, good blog. Can't wait for the 19th of April. :) I do have a question or two, though.

1. "Besides the completely new facial skeleton, we abandoned the idea of rotating heads and animating eyes procedurally, because it just made the AI characters look like alien robots no matter what!"
    I agree that the AI looked rather strange performing head movements and eyes. Most of the times. But if I understand this correctly; head movement (ALT key) for the user is still available, correct?
  2. Regarding the video. The characters holds their main weapon with one hand and has the other hand free. Will animations, such as a holstered main weapon, consist of one or several (randomized) postures? Perhaps depending on which weapon your character is holding?

In the video, the animation of walkin looks nice, but all of the dues are walking EXACTLY the same way.

Please dear BIS, do more then 1 walking style of each "awareness Mod". Looks a bit stupid, to see all guys walking the same.

I guess that this video got released only because its just now that animations look properly. Other videos/pics used either old animations or static poses.

I didn't understood community alpha completely? it'd be only for those who pre-paid or free for all?