Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Why do i have to pay for two helicopters i don't like?

The market works in a way that if i don't like something i don't buy it.

Hopefully if enough customers do the same, BIS gets the message that evidently this futuristic scenario is not what their users want, or maybe i will be the minority and BIS will keep going this way.

BIS chose this market strategy, why is it wrong if we take advantage of it and choose what assets do we want?

As for the "cheapstakes" debate, I don't like to throw away my money on something that is (was) given with the premise of "we are going to add more stuff and features but we're not telling you what exactly, and maybe a couple DLCs along the way but we're not going to tell you what they are going to be either! you give us the money now and in a year we'll tell you!", and if i was to change my mind now i would still have to pay more as a penalty. So all in all is a fair system.

I also don't like the "futuristic" setting but adding something that doesn't fit "2035" but more for 2000 isn't the right way because then the DLC wouldn't fit with the whole game at all. They would need to do a whole expansion to fit something like that with enough content.

I was also expecting at least 3 helicopters... The extra features likely eat any extra helicopter. But I bought the DLC just to support BIS no matter what content they would give me :D

I too bought the DLC to support Bohemia for their hard work, Arma3 is improving every day and I gladly give something back to them.

It's actually a steal considering I've paid around 45€ for this so far, talk about a bang for the buck.

I'm in the same position. For one side BI gives the features that are for free ( FFV, slingload and rotorlib ), which as someone said before are worth the price ( at least for me ).

On the other side you get the helicopters, that while still "futuristic" are more reasonable than previous vanilla vehicles ( the CH47 with stealth look and CH53 nose and the CH54 tuned with coaxial rotors, are kind of cool and make sense for 2035, unlike most of the CSAT vanilla equipment ).

But they feel too few for me. I wouldn't have mind if the rest of the content were vanilla helos with other textures ( like the ToH ones, that are hidden ). Or a civilian version of the MH9 with the doors they removed in the alpha.

I also was hoping for more SP content ( being showcases or a little campaign like in the bootcamp ).

Yes, the new functionality is great and certainly one thing I'm looking forward to. However, that's what everybody gets, we DLC buyers have put in some extra cash and therefore expect extra content. (As it was said by BI often enough - features are free but content is paid.) Hence my expectations might seem high to some, but only because of the extra coin I put into the game. I must admit I'm an SP fanatic so the new MP gamemode will most likely be ignored by me. Still hoping for some Bootcamp-style campaign with helos! ;)

Civillian helos are really missing I'll give you that. (As much as proper civillians are missing but that's another topic for another thread.) You can always apply the hidden textures for the Mohawk or so but that's it. And I'm hoping to see a real transport machine at some point. (Of course I didn't expect that to be in the Helicopters DLC.)

the TOHK helicopters are now (or will be) avalaible to port in A3?

Hm, I'm looking forward to the DLC and I gladly support BIS with buying the DLC bundle. However, am I right that there won't be much actual content? I mean, two helos (plus some editor objects), one showcase, an MP mission and a few time trials? I really don't enjoy that time-trial-shooting-range-achievement stuff and was hoping for, no expecting, a small campaign. Nothing too big, just like Bootcamp. Four or five small missions where you fly the new helicopters all connected by a nice side story with some (as usual) superb voice acting. Is that not going to happen or did I miss something?

Was it Eagle Wing that the A2 mini-campaign for helos was called? That was brilliant. The A3 campaign track record is very good too, both the full campaign and the Bootcamp mini. Too bad that they don't supply a helo-centric one as well now, bet that would be a very good experience

Was it Eagle Wing that the A2 mini-campaign for helos was called? That was brilliant. The A3 campaign track record is very good too, both the full campaign and the Bootcamp mini. Too bad that they don't supply a helo-centric one as well now, bet that would be a very good experience

True, Eagle Wing was cool. Well, the first mission at least, the other two (or was it just one) were more infantry centered again (as far as I remember).

No DLC will ever make everyone happy. I'm with the posters above, more than happy to spend money on BI, I get so much bang for my Arma buck its a cheap game at the end of the day.

Looking forward to these choppers, the crane style chopper will be Sooo cool to see flying around.

If you compare the additional content that you have with the first dlc made by BIS (BAF) and this one, it is very disappointing even if we have two big improvement made for the entire game.

I really hope that BIS will do their best for the expansion.

Civillian helos are really missing I'll give you that. (As much as proper civillians are missing but that's another topic for another thread.) You can always apply the hidden textures for the Mohawk or so but that's it. And I'm hoping to see a real transport machine at some point. (Of course I didn't expect that to be in the Helicopters DLC.)
I consider all three basic airframes from 'original' TKOH to have been reproduced in A3 (the Kajman already serves the "Hind 2035" role) via the Mohawk, the H-9, and maybe the Hellcat (in place of the Bell 412) and/or Orca (stretching the Medium helo definition to cover this), so I would think that the main change needed (beyond the scope of a mere "Civilian faction config" mod and retextures like you describe) would be "executive" style interiors for the Mohawk and the Hellcat and/or Orca.

the TOHK helicopters are now (or will be) avalaible to port in A3?

No need, your already using them with Vanilla Arma 3. MH-9 is the TOH light Helo. Mohwak is the heavy. However, the UH-1Y style helicopter is not in Arma 3.

No need, your already using them with Vanilla Arma 3. MH-9 is the TOH light Helo. Mohwak is the heavy. However, the UH-1Y style helicopter is not in Arma 3.
As in my post above, I for one consider the Hellcat the game's closest as far as "UH-1Y style", not least because of the unarmed variant (ditto for the unarmed Orca).

Did anyone notice that a Crusher UGV was driving into the back of the Huron in this photo? It's probably just a prop for a fancy picture but it might not be.

http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/arma3_dlc_helicopters_screenshot_02.jpg

Sorry if this has been said already

I'm going with prop, but I would love to be proven wrong on that;)

Did anyone notice that a Crusher UGV was driving into the back of the Huron in this photo? It's probably just a prop for a fancy picture but it might not be.

http://arma3.com/assets/img/post/images/arma3_dlc_helicopters_screenshot_02.jpg

Sorry if this has been said already

If they could pull that off, and actually have the ability to do that, i would... i would... Idk, but pulling that off would be something of wonders. A surprise feature to say the least if it existed. Maybe via Attach-to style load, drive the UGV in, scroll on the heli, press tie down, and have ropes spawn over it, and it attach to the heli, would be sick AF.

I think BI might have a small problem here: The price of the DLC.

I´m not sure how many Players (especially the kind that plays Arma only from time to time, or mainly stuff like Battle royale, King of the hill etc.) will be ready to pay that much for 2 helicopters. The pricing might be a bit steep. I really only see the hardcore fans pay that much for this DLC and those people are better off with the DLC bundle anyway.

Personally I will look at the content of this DLC (although I´m tempted to throw some money at BIS just for the glorious FFV feature but I´m still unsure how far they are going to improve it) and see what they announce for the second one (you better list Weapon resting as a feature) before I buy the bundle.

I consider all three basic airframes from 'original' TKOH to have been reproduced in A3

So what's wrong with having "duplicates" ? Is it bad to have alternatives ? Just because there is one gunship doesn't mean there can't be a second choice

With all these comments from people wanting to pay to support BIS and not for 2 helos, BIS should seriously consider opening a donation link

I consider all three basic airframes from 'original' TKOH to have been reproduced in A3 (the Kajman already serves the "Hind 2035" role) via the Mohawk, the H-9, and maybe the Hellcat (in place of the Bell 412) and/or Orca (stretching the Medium helo definition to cover this), so I would think that the main change needed (beyond the scope of a mere "Civilian faction config" mod and retextures like you describe) would be "executive" style interiors for the Mohawk and the Hellcat and/or Orca.

Not a very good argument. You line of thinking would make the two new helicopters in the DLC useless too, since we already have transport helicopters.

A Hind is a Hind, not a Kaiman. It cannot serve the "Hind 2035" role since it isn't a Hind. Arguing that a certain role is already filled is ridiculous, you would only need one gun per side then because the "boomstick 2035" role is already filled.

IMO adding some of the Take On Helicopter choppers would have been nice and could have spiced up the whole thing. especially the ultra-iconic Hind.

If they could pull that off, and actually have the ability to do that, i would... i would... Idk, but pulling that off would be something of wonders. A surprise feature to say the least if it existed. Maybe via Attach-to style load, drive the UGV in, scroll on the heli, press tie down, and have ropes spawn over it, and it attach to the heli, would be sick AF.

I think that the devs don't like attachTo solutions... But it would still be sweet. And what is that rolling helipad thing?

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

In the picture I mean, there's a mobile helipad. Not sure what that's used for.

With all these comments from people wanting to pay to support BIS and not for 2 helos, BIS should seriously consider opening a donation link

Agree, I try to tell people the same that the DLC is actually just for supporting Bohemia, since most of the content (=Content as in features&helos) is free anyway.

Agree, I try to tell people the same that the DLC is actually just for supporting Bohemia, since most of the content (=Content as in features&helos) is free anyway.

It's actually sad to see that in this game you basically get everything for free,daily patches and everything, with community making huge mods, meanwhile in other game companies they make you pay just for every badly moddeled gun and 10x10m big map (*cough *cough EA)..

Would go perfect with the Asian based faction of CSAT.

It'll just stay at CSAT. Which stands for Canton-Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty. Certain countries in the eastern hemisphere consolidated and joined together in a large military offensive. At least their uniform color scheme is different. And since that's the case, their primary weapons will stay the same across the board. Everything gets standardized within an army.

It'll just stay at CSAT. Which stands for Canton-Protocol Strategic Alliance Treaty. Certain countries in the eastern hemisphere consolidated and joined together in a large military offensive. At least their uniform color scheme is different. And since that's the case, their primary weapons will stay the same across the board. Everything gets standardized within an army.

Uggghh, but it's the Armaverse. Why not have the Iranian CSAT, and Chinese CSAT with their own distinctive differences. For example, the Chinese based CSAT more skilled, their own vehicles, because they're home is in a different environment, for example, they have a colder environment than their Iranian counterpart, thus probably needed different vehicles that can keep up with those conditions. Some Weapons are the same way too. It would make sense, and still look good, and also play a very intense part in the Series. Just my thoughts... Anyway, back on topic, they've literally set back the Heli DLC a month. hopefully those Multiplayer improvements pay off.