Sign in to follow this  
buliwyf

ARMA 2: OA beta build 77819

1) if you play as tankcommander (with a couple of other tanks under your command) the formation sometimes is updated to the gunners direction and not to the commanders. AI tries to get into formation constantly afterwards. (happens after some time)

2) if you order your tankgunner to (alt) watch a position you can't undo it with the "cancel target" 2-1 command. easily reproducable. just play a tank commander and order your gunner to watch somewhere. You can't undo it.

Here something from the cabinet of Arma curiosities: the reluctant MV-22 Osprey!

For a cutscene or intro, it is often desired to have a chopper pinned to the ground with engines on for some instant insertion/extraction-action.

While I use a modified version of BIS_fnc_spawnVehicle, this shouldn't be of much concern. What you should know is that in my spawnVehicle-function, I can set the desired initial speed and height with parameters.

So here comes the scenario: spawn a chopper, pin him to the ground for some seconds (forceSpeed/flyInHeight), release the chopper while giving him a new MOVE waypoint. The chopper now should fly off.

This works all fine with "regular" choppers. Not so much with the MV-22 Osprey: spawn such a chopper for such a scenario and he simply won't take off anymore after beeing released and given the MOVE waypoint. The pilot hasn't completed that MOVE waypoint and he is thus not unitReady. Yet, he just parks the chopper and refuses to lift off again.

And here it get's weird. If the player now enters that chopper as a passenger, while not beeing related to that chopper or its crew in anyway, that moment you enter the chopper, he will lift off?! What the heck? Why?

I've tried to figure out what's causing this, but couldn't find some particular thing that seems to trigger this, expect: the initial (fly-)height of the chopper. (I've altered/simplified the scenario a bit for this: simply spawn that thing (with zero speed, yet "FLY"-ing) and give it a MOVE waypoint, so no pinning to the ground here)

Somewhere around 17 meters seems to be a magic barrier. Spawn the MV-22 below these 17 meters and he will land and refuse to do anything until the player(?!) boards that chopper. So for some obscure reason the chopper is "back in the game" once the player boards it...

Spawn that MV-22 at 17 meters initial height (or above) and there won't be any problems, whatsoever.

Pretty weird, hu?

:pet6:

Somehow this looks like some chopper-hack that forces the chopper to land if flying too low, isn't it? What's going on with that MV-22?

Btw. there doesn't seem to be a problem like this if you spawn that chopper with it's engines off (or if placed down in the in-game editor).

I can deliver a repro mission if desired. Though I could imagine whoever has written that part of the chopper-fsm might immediately know what could trigger this side-effect after listening to my story.

Edited by ruebe

I can deliver a repro mission if desired. Though I could imagine whoever has written that part of the chopper-fsm might immediately know what could trigger this side-effect after listening to my story.

No, he does not immediately know. Please, provide a repro preferably on the http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis

Edit: after some experimentation I was able to come with a repro. Spawn the Mv22 with 0-0-1. Once you board it, it will take off.

Edited by Suma

hey guys i cant help myself but i have an insane loss in performance regarding vegetation with that beta. i tried with/without AA, with/without Atoc, with/without beta and all graphics settings except resolution (1920x1200).

can anyone else confirm this? look into a valley with many trees and look through them with binoculars or scope (right through the treetops), my performance drops even on trees wich never had been a problem before.

testing with last stable patch, i have NONE dropdown while scoping through trees.

PLEASE bring back old tree lod handling, its absolutely uncool to play at 50fps all the time but not to be able to use scopes/binoculars in woods.

should i do some screeshots to proof the struggle of my gtx 260?

I recently aquired the BAF expansion and use it with this beta, but now all servers show yellow in the Lobby, also the ones with no addons needed.

Is it supposed to be that way so or did I put something wrong in the desktop link command line?

"D:\ArmA 2\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" -mod=BAF -mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash

Can someone enlight me?

No, he does not immediately know. Please, provide a repro preferably on the http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis

When you don't know immediately what's going on i get scared. Sometimes i think Real Virtuality Engine has a mind of its own.

Or in other words, on Real Virtuality engine most of the time 1+1=2. And sometimes 1+1=0.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

hey guys i cant help myself but i have an insane loss in performance regarding vegetation with that beta. i tried with/without AA, with/without Atoc, with/without beta and all graphics settings except resolution (1920x1200).

can anyone else confirm this? look into a valley with many trees and look through them with binoculars or scope (right through the treetops), my performance drops even on trees wich never had been a problem before.

testing with last stable patch, i have NONE dropdown while scoping through trees.

PLEASE bring back old tree lod handling, its absolutely uncool to play at 50fps all the time but not to be able to use scopes/binoculars in woods.

You know what? I kinda miss how LODS switched back in the Flashpoint days.

I've got pretty much the same thing with my GTX 285. The new vegetation runs fine (or better) except when I scope in. Even if it's just a small bush my FPS will plummet from ~50 to ~20.

Hannes are you talking maybe about the FPS drop i reported one month ago when scoping?

Huge FPS drop in scope (propably video memory related game bug)

Check it out (post 1 and post 5). No comment from developement team on this yet.

well you seem to have it everytime you use scope? i think for me this mainly happens on vegetation - its definitely my graphics card that cant handle scoping through trees scince last beta (i left out some betas earlier) because i get no cpu typical stuttering, but the game slows down very much (from ~50fps to ~15fps) and the mouse movement is very delayed.

i definitely have NO dropdown caused by vegitation with the last full patch - but with new beta it doesnt matter weather i use atoc/aa or not! even on very low textures/objects/vegetaion the dropdown stays nearly the same.

i felt like with the non-beta-patch the vegi-lods dont switch to much higher lods while scoping - with the beta it seems like you get the highest lods when zooming, even with everything set to very low.

having everything on very low it takes ~1-2 seconds with heavy stuttering until the lods are loaded - when they are ready loaded i have nearly same low fps like when i have everything set to normal.

edit - omg thats some bad english...

Edited by der.hannes

To all ATI people having problems with AToC causing undesirable effects like spotting etc., revert to previous version.

First AToC worked well, but then I updated the to ccc 10.12 and it looked really bad. I then reverted to 10.11 and everything looks fine again. Guess we're just going to have to live the older drivers for now (if you want to run with AToC that is).

Specs: ATI Radeon HD5800

Can you post some comparison screen shots? Nvidia here, but I have yet to see anyone say that they don't get this pattern effect at all with ATOC=7.

To all ATI people having problems with AToC causing undesirable effects like spotting etc., revert to previous version.

First AToC worked well, but then I updated the to ccc 10.12 and it looked really bad. I then reverted to 10.11 and everything looks fine again. Guess we're just going to have to live the older drivers for now (if you want to run with AToC that is).

Specs: ATI Radeon HD5800

If you havn't tried the 11.1 or 11.1a, it might be worth a shot. They gave me quite a performance boost from 10.x and I don't have any particularly annoying graphical anomalies (2 xfire'd 5850s). A few tiny white dots around seams on models like scopes, but nothing like the outlines some people have been getting.

No, he does not immediately know.

Ha. I've thought this rather awkward stuff might ring a bell (maybe some switch on the height or something).

Nevermind.

Please, provide a repro preferably on the http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis

Edit: after some experimentation I was able to come with a repro. Spawn the Mv22 with 0-0-1. Once you board it, it will take off.

Hey! I though it was my job to deliver..

...why the hurry? :D

Well, maybe you can still do something with my repro-mission. Also the ticket would be over here.

Since I've added another unit to the player's group (mostly for command view), I've noted that it is already sufficient to just command the unit under your command to board the osprey. That moment, the Osprey is unstuck again, without the unit you've ordered to board it actually doing anything...

So it looks like some exterior stimulus is all that is needed for the Osprey to move again or something..

Well... I don't get it.

:p

Deciduous trees are the biggest performance killer.. I hope they can tweaking this a bit;)

I had a good time for a couple of minutes ago.

Started up a nice Bennys Warfare and captured some cities.

"It's time to move the HQ".

Fast travel is normally a good thing. Not today...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V2ap6ljG3U

How is this related to this beta pach exactly?

AI formations

Overall I find the new handling of AI formations (particularly in dangermode) to be a significant improvement over older versions. The AI unquestionably more responsive and greatly more survivable. Its gotten to the point where I will WILLINGLY enable danger mode before I enter contact, something I would never have done before.

An undocumented or otherwise unmentioned feature is that STEALTH mode appears to override DANGER mode. Not only that but while units in STEALTH mode will crawl (prone) when ordered away from the main unit. This is a great feature because it actually makes stealthy approaches or ambushes possible without constantly manually toggling crouched/prone/follow me stanes. Units ordered back in formation and set to STEALTH mode will unfortunately still sprint from cover to cover; rendering the mode somewhat less than useful in some situations.

<Attack clicking> and BLITZ

It can sometimes be hard to get the AI to engage targets with the appropriate weapons. Sometimes you want the AI to use the silenced pistol or Grenade Launcher you've equipped it with; often you don't mind that spending a MAAWS HEAT round on a technical may be overkill. I would rather have <Attack Clicking> be an order to use the most dangerous weapon the AI has at its disposal; rather than an invitation to leave the safety of the formation and invariably end up dead.

I daresay with the current implementation you would be hard pressed to find ANY human player that has had success with attack clicking targets!

A BLITZ (assault, sweep, move-effin-quickly, at-all-costs, whatnot) mode has been requested since Operation Flashpoint days. I imagine there are either technical difficulties or a concious design choice that the community hasn't been made aware of; yet I can still hope. What remains unquestionable is that a BLITZ assault mode imagined as an inverse of DANGER mode would be infinitely useful.

Wishlist:

• Adding a BLITZ ROE useful when all-out assaulting -- or hauling ass.
  • Take a long hard look at <Attack-clicking>; in its current form it invariably leads to friendly casualties.
  • STEALTH mode should be stealthy also when in formation with the Squad leader.
  • It would be nice to be able <command-click> on ammo crates to have your AI 'gear' at that position.
  • Optimized array based "reporting in" would be very welcome. Currently its a cumbersome command to give, particularly in large formations. Units occupying the same GRID should ideally be reported by the same soldier. "This is 2 at 044,010 with 3,4,7,8", "4 Injured", "7 Ammo low"
  • The sidearm issues. A simpler and better handling would be to NEVER draw a sidearm unless the primary weapon was out of ammunition. In arma2 reloading is universally faster (even for MGs) and longarms are invariably better.

-k

It seems 50ton+ tanks are still overturning like paper origamis in the wind when hitting the slope or a small object. Something needs to be done with the physics engine or the proper weight in the models.

It seems 50ton+ tanks are still overturning like paper origamis in the wind when hitting the slope or a small object. Something needs to be done with the physics engine or the proper weight in the models.

I agree, but also add tanks and other vehicles with all that huge torgue and indesigned offroad capabilities should not slow down that much when driving up hill or moving from road to offroad.

you can see modern tank driving practically full speed in all kinds of terrain (if you don't want to watch the whole video, watch the at least from 1min30s to 2mins).

Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard this unrealistic armor driving performance has been in the series since Operation Flashpoint. If so it is about time to tweak and tune those vehicle engines to be more realistic in performance.

I agree, but also add tanks and other vehicles with all that huge torgue and indesigned offroad capabilities should not slow down that much when driving up hill or moving from road to offroad.
you can see modern tank driving practically full speed in all kinds of terrain (if you don't want to watch the whole video, watch the at least from 1min30s to 2mins).

Correct me if I am wrong but I have heard this unrealistic armor driving performance has been in the series since Operation Flashpoint. If so it is about time to tweak and tune those vehicle engines to be more realistic in performance.

Uphill performance is not so far off, on a sustaines slope even 1500 HP won't make you go faster than 30km/h..and thats pretty good. What should be improved here is the gear...such a slope is droven with first stage and engine would run in middle to high rpm.

What bother me much more than uphill performance is DOWNHILL Speed...

A often used Exploit to avoid beeing hit by RPG as an incoming APC or MBT is driving 156km/h downhill till as wall stops you in a village. That's what bothers me much much more.

No car in ArmA can go that fast.

talking about stealth mode, it would be cool if the leader/player enters stealth mode too when he orderes his team to stealth. its annoying that my team whispers so atmospheric, but my character is still shouting the orders.

when i start a mission in stealth mode, its impossible to stop whispering for the leader/player.

Uphill performance was discussed multiple times, the thing is you cannot base such things on feelings only. When looking at the video or a game it is hard to judge just by looking how the hills are really steep. Current ingame performance is carefully tuned to match M1A2 performance as listed in http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m1.htm:

Speed - 10% Slope 17 mph

Speed - 60% Slope 4.1 mph

Our tank crewmen got really pissed off last coop-night. Our two units were under heavy fire when assaulting AI positions defended with couple of APCs and hi-cal guns. We've watched a friendly (human controlled) tank drive through the desert, across the siezed airfield and almost reaching our position.. and then *blam*, 50 ton beast jumped across the little slope and turret hit the sand. Seeing overturned tank, our infantry advanced with casaulties mounting...

In our squad we call this accidents as "sunflower bug", as sunflower objects from Chernarus are quite famous for this kind of collisions ;)

Edited by IceBreakr