Sign in to follow this  
buliwyf

ARMA 2: OA beta build 77819

Our tank crewmen got really pissed off last coop-night. Our two units were under heavy fire when assaulting AI positions defended with couple of APCs and hi-cal guns. We've watched a friendly (human controlled) tank drive through the desert, across the siezed airfield and almost reaching our position.. and then *blam*, 50 ton beast jumped across the little slope and turret hit the sand. Seeing overturned tank, our infantry advanced with casaulties mounting...

In our squad we call this accidents as "sunflower bug", as sunflower objects from Chernarus are quite famous for this kind of collisions ;)

I understand such issues are very frustrating. If it would be possible to know the exact coordinates of a place where this happens with non-zero probability (preferrably as a repro mission on the CIT), I would definitely like to check it and hopefully fix it.

I understand such issues are very frustrating. If it would be possible to know the exact coordinates of a place where this happens with non-zero probability (preferrably as a repro mission on the CIT), I would definitely like to check it and hopefully fix it.

I think the magical sunflowers (I commonly remember them in the North North East corner of Zelenogorks) are kinda funny.

I was chasing an opposing player and he hit the sunflowers with his UAZ and bounced into the air, then died when he hit the ground.

Saved me some work :P

Speaking entirely personally, I don't think I've seen a flipping or springing tank for several months now. I do mostly use Chernarus however.

Speaking entirely personally, I don't think I've seen a flipping or springing tank for several months now. I do mostly use Chernarus however.

Tanks are working good for me too. But the **** Stryker likes to fly and flip from time to time. Supply Trucks get stuck on a certain bridge in Chernarus.

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

How is this related to this beta pach exactly?

I haven't seen that bug before this beta so I naturally posted it here. Hope you can live with it! :)

1) if you play as tankcommander (with a couple of other tanks under your command) the formation sometimes is updated to the gunners direction and not to the commanders. AI tries to get into formation constantly afterwards. (happens after some time)

2) if you order your tankgunner to (alt) watch a position you can't undo it with the "cancel target" 2-1 command. easily reproducable. just play a tank commander and order your gunner to watch somewhere. You can't undo it.

seems to be lots of people out there playing tanks so is there nobody who knows this issue? The first is the bigger problem (with soldiers this problem seems to be gone)...

I use armour quite a lot and I don't think that they are over turning more than they should. Most of the time when I flip a tank or APC it is because of some thing silly I did, like trying to drive up a slope too fast, or hitting a hill an off angle at speed. I don't often flip because of small object collisions either. It's only the medium size rocks that do this and if you go carefully around these (eg not drive too fast) you wont roll. Besides I don't think the tracks of any armoured vehicle would thank you for hitting a boulder at 60+mph.

The worst thing I have seen that causes wild vehicle behaviour is armour to armour collision.

So tanks are fine. But I agree that the physics of wheel vehicles especially things like the Stryker/BTRs etc need a physics tweak, they behave very odd (like the motor bike) when the front wheels come off the ground. The centre of gravity seems odd too with wheeled vehicles.

pandur: I rarely use a crew.

After the AI refusing to cross the roads (Bug 17249 CIT by F2kSel),

Ai gets stuck near bush (or rock).

Its happens randomly anywhere on the map. AI searches cover to progress but it fails.

These bugs kill the missions.

Mission Repro :http://www.mediafire.com/?7336dsfgk779zad

Wait and see.(try several times if necessary)

I use armour quite a lot and I don't think that they are over turning more than they should. Most of the time when I flip a tank or APC it is because of some thing silly I did, like trying to drive up a slope too fast, or hitting a hill an off angle at speed. I don't often flip because of small object collisions either. It's only the medium size rocks that do this and if you go carefully around these (eg not drive too fast) you wont roll. Besides I don't think the tracks of any armoured vehicle would thank you for hitting a boulder at 60+mph.

Her is a little video of a Bridge Layer on Leopard chassis to show that tracks are not as solid and unproblematic as some might think. You have to drive carefulyl in real life. Problems with the tracks or roadwheels were the nr. 1 matter of breakdowns on our Lepard II MBT during my time. The driver is the Nr.1 source for malfunctions to the tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvUAYxtsT0&feature=player_profilepage Edited by Beagle

Instead of wining for more POWER TO MY ENGINE soem players should rethink their Tactical aproach...MBT and APC in mountains never work well and never will. Tank will never be deployed into tank unfriendly territory if avoidable.

Flat and open with rolling hills, that's the natural habiat of the MBT & APC family.

Its happens randomly anywhere on the map. AI searches cover to progress but it fails.

Yea, it's as if they run out of cover and then haven't got an alternative so they just keep waiting.

I confirm too these annoying issues ...

The problem with units randomly stuck is not related to this beta, it has been there for quite some time now.

Instead of wining for more POWER TO MY ENGINE soem players should rethink their Tactical aproach...MBT and APC in mountains never work well and never will. Tank will never be deployed into tank unfriendly territory if avoidable.

Flat and open with rolling hills, that's the natural habiat of the MBT & APC family.

Agreed.

Nice vid by the way, lmao ("seemed like a good idea at the time..") :D

I confirm too these annoying issues ...

The problem with units randomly stuck is not related to this beta, it has been there for quite some time now.

Seems to be much improved in the latest Beta, not 100% but getting there.

I had it fail once in about 20 attempts in stealth mode while testing several locations. ;)

I have tried it about 20x, but never seen the AI to get stuck, it has always ran into the destination.

@Suma

This bug seems similar to Ai don't traverse some roads in Beta 77819 now it seems to be fixed with the last Beta 78183/78188.

Thanks