Sign in to follow this  
stupidwhitekid75

Russia, return or someone new?

Russia, return or someone new?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Russia, return or someone new?

• I'd like to see Russia return.
    • I'd like to see another modernized army become the new OPFOR
    • I'd like to see some type of guerrilla force become the new OPFOR.
    • I'm happy with what we have now.

Have a feeling this might get locked because it ties in with the DLC thread, figured I'd give it a shot though.

I'd say that Russia is somewhere that we'd certainly look to return to in the future, we all know how important it is to balance our regional expo distribution, but no work is - as yet - in place to this end.

Quote above is from an AAN article, and it gives some more than obvious hints that they're looking at bringing either a new or updated Russia back as OPFOR but there isn't anything for sure yet. I'd like to see peoples opinions before anything gets set in stone.

So, who wants to see the Russian forces make a comeback as OPFOR, and who would want something completely different?

I'm tired of russia being the main enemy of the US in games

We need different OPFOR, like China,Iran,North Korea etc

I'm tired of russia being the main enemy of the US in games

We need different OPFOR, like China,Iran,North Korea etc

Maybe that's the reason why Chinese Military Strength still keep secret. lol.

If anyone of you has seen the military parade on Oct 1st, China's national day last year, will be amazed with the rapid development of Chinese military construction especially on heavy weapons like missiles and howitzers etc.

It's true that the gameplay will bring all players into a new era if BIS add Chinese elements. But I don't hope Chinese is opposit NATO, it should be with the indenpendant side, for everybody knows that China's principle on her foreign ministry is mutual benefit and peacefuly coexistence. lol

Edited by ffur2007slx2_5

russia needs to be recognized as a powerful ally of the west, not an enemy.

the new enemy in this age are paramilitary and terrorists.

depending on the scenario i think russia could make a return.

for example, the harvest red campaign from the russian perspective, or another campaign from the russian perspective.

a conflict between russia and china (WITHOUT the USMC :rolleyes:), or even if BIS could come up with a logical conflict between the US and russia, that could be good too

voted for "russia return" on the condition that there is significant single play from their perspective. it would be cool to have a china vs russia scenario, where there is a campaign for each side of the conflict

Edited by That guy

I like the idea of the China vs. Russia, as long as we get the US Army in woodland (OD vehicles, soldiers in multicam) gear.

I stated in another thread, personally I'd like to see something crazy like a military based off of Australia. Most of the vehicles they use are already in game, they would just need to be changed around and tweaked a little bit to be more realistic. Just the fact that it's probably never been done before and it's so out there would make it neat and unique.

russia needs to be recognized as a powerful ally of the west, not an enemy.

the new enemy in this age are paramilitary and terrorists.

Yeah, but missions inspired by CNN bore the pants off me.

I liked how Chernarus did it. The U.S. and Russia are present, to allow for superpower input and editor fun, while the main protagonists are second world militaries in a civil or regional war. Do it that way, and you can send a campaign anywhere in the world while keeping it believable.

Iran-Iraq redux, India-Pakistan, China in Africa, Venezuela-Colombia, Armena-Azerbaijan, or Russia-China in Central Asia.

What I would like to see is:

USA as Blufor

Russian Federation as Blufor

NATO(European forces) as Blufor

And a country with great and modern military strenght, theoritically being a threat to above mentioned blufor...

...That would be China as Opfor :)

That would make an easy scenario:

RF decides to join US in Afghan to help - war is over.

After several years China decides to conquer new territory as their population grew to 2 billion.

China invades RF, calling their allies for help.

US, EU, RF (1 billion people) against China (2 billion people) - World War 3.

World War 3, only in Arma 3.

Edited by Vultar

I'd like to see Russia as BLUFOR and China as Independent. Because, realistically, the USA and to a lesser extent, Russia, entering a full-blown conventional war with China is close to zero. Hell, the chances of all three entering into a full-blown conventional war with each other is next to nothing.

Russian Federation as BLUFOR

USA as BLUFOR

NATO/EU as Independent

China as Independent

Edited by Laqueesha

I would like to see:

USA as anyFOR defined by user.

Russian Federation as anyFOR defined by user.

NATO(European forces)as anyFOR defined by user.

:p

But won´t happen so, keep the russians on the "red" side. Im sick of shooting guys in pijamas and 3rd World Armies with theirs FALs or whatever. BLUFOR have too many Hi-tech, tacticool stuff already...

I would like to see:

USA as anyFOR defined by user.

Russian Federation as anyFOR defined by user.

NATO(European forces)as anyFOR defined by user.

But won´t happen so, keep the russians on the "red" side. Im sick of shooting guys in pijamas and 3rd World Armies with theirs FALs or whatever. BLUFOR have too many Hi-tech, tacticool stuff already...

This. ^ We need a formidable OPFOR. Hell, BI can even go the way of Namco's Ace Combat and invent fictional armies. :D

It depends.. in a CW scenario like Flashpoint having the us as blu4 and soviet union as red4 was a no brainer, perhaps BIS will return to the cold war setting one day... it was interesting, dare i say perfect actually. Russia as OP4 didnt work out so well in A2 imo.

If someone came up and told me: "I dont know what to make a modern war game with" i would probably say "just do the gulf war dude"..

Russia should return, imo, hopefully as Independent too, seeing as the US and RF are hardly enemies.

China, however, would be perfect as OpFor.

I think it will be great if u can select any team for the factions.

Blue Team

Red Team

Green Team

Yellow Team

Russia should return, imo, hopefully as Independent too, seeing as the US and RF are hardly enemies.

China, however, would be perfect as OpFor.

I dont see why would China make a better oposition than Russia :confused: , and i dont find Chinese hardware all that interesting, then theres also that crappy thing.. FPDR ..

The Takistani Army would have worked better if they were a bit more developed.

Fictional force based on Iran?

I'd like to see BIS bring all the original A2 content brought up to OA standard, before they think about adding someone else.

Whether they do this as a DLC or free patch is up to them, but it really should happen eventually.

I dont see why would China make a better oposition than Russia :confused: , and i dont find Chinese hardware all that interesting, then theres also that crappy thing.. FPDR ..

Russia and US both don't have best of terms with China in the real world, China has a huge military and with some pretty good weaponry and hardware. Not to mention the RF and US/NATO at least attempt to have communication without tearing each others throats out.

Besides, the US versus Russia scenario is old and boring, other than OPFDR and a few other games China is rarely the enemy, it's always Russia, some Eastern European country, or the Middle East.

Major point about US and Russian is the equipment they provide. With this equipment you can basically create any force you'd like and not go wrong. Its that versatile. China would be limited to just China. Pluss it's already there, the models and configs already exists, you just need to keep updating it for the next game. With China, they basically have to create everything from scratch.

I've suggested Egyptian forces in the past, with the basis that most of their equipment is already in the game. So I think it could be fun to have US and Russians on the same side, with Egyptians on the other side. However, if we want to create a US vs Russia scenario, that has to be possible too. Proper recognition becomes that much more important. Seeing a T72 or Abrams tank is no longer a giveaway on side.

I wouldn't mind a go-back to the 90s, or an alternate universe where Russia went into a constant civil war after the soviet breakup for many years. War on the Korea peninsula. War between 2 bluefor allies. ectect

Something big and dangerous, not pitiful third world countries. Oh no, a scud missile might launch. I don't care about that. I care about holyshit300000strongarmies clashing.

The trouble is, arma doesn't do holyshit300000strongarmies that well. The technology that comes with those kinds of forces just can't be simulated properly with this engine, and frankly, it shouldn't.

Arma is a combined arms simulator with the focus squarely on the infantry side of things. Tanks and planes and such are very well modelled and implemented, but they are not the stars of the show. To do them service, I'd look up a dedicated tank or flight simulator. Arma isn't that and that is alright with me.

It might just be me being an old man, but I would prefer a return to the cold war era. The technological level of that age was much more achievable for the engine, and there is a wealth of good scenarios to be thought up. Who knows, with the recent release of this black ops game, the cold war might become fashionable and all.

Either that or keep it tight and personal, set the focus on small forces, not grand technology. As for having more Russians or not, I'd be happy with anything. My ideal would be a banana republic-style island ala tropico. South Sahrani came close but turned kinda middle eastern in the process, so it doesnt count completely.

Edited by Hund

As far as storylines go, I'd stick with Russia as OPFOR. Russia is not friendly to the US or Europeans - it's trying to regain its power and size it had during the Cold War. (It masquarades as a friend, sure, but I don't see Russia all that friendly.)

It might just be me being an old man, but I would prefer a return to the cold war era. The technological level of that age was much more achievable for the engine, and there is a wealth of good scenarios to be thought up.

Agreed.

There is such a wealth in variety and technology from the Cold War, and its a shame that, for the most part, it goes forgotten about.