Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

German PC-Games released something very short: They tested RR on a single page and gave it a fabulous 62%.

They are saying that this product is lacking in almost everything that makes a game a good one. From stupid mission design, over dumb AI to unspectacular mise-en-scène and way too cool marines (vicarious embarrassment is an expression Gamestar used in their pre-test) is all that this game offers. Atleast they find the coop-part to be ok, but you know, there is a distance between something is ok and something is outstanding.

http://www.pcgames.de/Operation-Flashpoint-Red-River-PC-235546/Tests/Operation-Flashpoint-Red-River-im-Test-Comeback-erneut-in-den-Sand-gesetzt-821097/

Pros:

high degree of realism (ballistics)

a long lasting campaign

coop-mode

Cons:

less variety, almost no peaks

dumb AI that is frequently failing

ugly landscapes in some places

"too dry/arid" for an action game, too weak for a simulation

Edited by Hoot

Maybe I overlooked something, but to me it looks like 2 paragraphs where he only mentions some problems in friendly AI and that's it. I don't know where did you read this...

They are saying that this product is lacking in almost everything that makes a game a good one. From stupid mission design, over dumb AI to unspectacular mise-en-scène and way too cool marines (vicarious embarrassment is an expression Gamestar used in their pre-test) is all that this game offers. Atleast they find the coop-part to be ok, but you know, there is a distance between something is ok and something is outstanding.

...but probably not in that "review".

Edited by Mr.Wolf

Like pretty much all PCGames.de reviews, that one sucked huge donkey balls. Someone said in the comments that it looked like it was whipped up in ten minutes, and I have to agree.

I'm sure there will be dozens of mediocre RR reviews rolling in soon, but that one wasn't exactly a shining example.

Maybe I overlooked something, but to me it looks like 2 paragraphs where he only mentions some problems in friendly AI and that's it. I don't know where did you read this...

...but probably not in that "review".

Well, you seem to have missed the grey box at the bottom of the article. Its stating problems for friendly and hostile AI, as did the article. The rest of my summary is basically what he writes, yes, accompanied by the contents of the pre-test done by Gamestar (my fault), whereas Gamestar was told to draw it back. The quality of the article on the other hand is low-level, true, but that was simply not my point of making that comment about a mag published a test about RR. They showed their quality level pretty well from 2006-2009 when it came to Arma...um. So yes, take it as -50% in terms of quality. Anyways:

During the tests, I swear sometimes violent as the Marines in the game - and that's saying something! Most of my anger was the bumbling AI comrades, who reminded me more of a drunken reservist force as of elite soldiers. Anyone who seriously is considering Red River to play completely alone should bring the ability to suffer a real Marines - or consider the purchase of the title again. In the co-op tactical shooter but makes a lot more humor than the weak technology, unspectacular production that the poor varied mission design and periodic lapses in enemy AI consoles this fact but not away. You also have to grapple with annoying bugs and inconsistencies.
Edited by Hoot

Just thrown another log on :811:

Or in RR terminology "kickn the tires and lightn the fires"

This thread needs an enema :rofl:

The QCR is activated by holding the QCR button..thanks, never would have guessed. Seems a bit strange to include things such as body wound effects when you can just heal yourself quickly thus rendering the effect void.

For the sake of 'tactical shooter' I hope that the medic bags are limited to one class and in set amount, or if everyone can carry something then it is only a bandage like in project reality..wouldn't save you, just gave you a chance to limp away.

Just a general curiosity but if helicopters are removed then what does auto rotation effect? http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1148/ofrr1.jpg

Edited by NodUnit

The QCR is activated by holding the QCR button..thanks, never would have guessed. Seems a bit strange to include things such as body wound effects when you can just heal yourself quickly thus rendering the effect void.

For the sake of 'tactical shooter' I hope that the medic bags are limited to one class and in set amount, or if everyone can carry something then it is only a bandage like in project reality..wouldn't save you, just gave you a chance to limp away.

Just a general curiosity but if helicopters are removed then what does auto rotation effect? http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1148/ofrr1.jpg

It might not mean that type of auto rotation. It could also be that they forgot to take it out when they removed helicopters... actually I just don't think it has anything to do with that type of autorotation... why would anyone turn it off?

Might be that flinching thing when you get shot? I dunno.

EDIT - Word on the street over at Hickville is that it may relate to head movement while in vehicles.

Edited by CameronMcDonald

Most likley the consoles stick-to-aim stuff. Whether it will rotate you or not, but i aint sure.

I would have thought perhaps it has to do with the compass rotating automaticly for when you turn but that doesn't exactly make it any more difficult.

In fact it makes it easier on a coordination level since you are facing a set direction and could there counter "tank west at" or that and so on vs having the compass rotate and require you to open the map itself to get accurate bearings.

If it is aiming then I wonder how many aids they need, sticky aiming, auto aim and now something else? yeesh.

Edited by NodUnit

German PC-Games released something very short: They tested RR on a single page and gave it a fabulous 62%.

http://www.pcgames.de/Operation-Flashpoint-Red-River-PC-235546/Tests/Operation-Flashpoint-Red-River-im-Test-Comeback-erneut-in-den-Sand-gesetzt-821097/

Pros:

high degree of realism (ballistics)

a long lasting campaign

coop-mode

Cons:

less variety, almost no peaks

dumb AI that is frequently failing

ugly landscapes in some places

"too dry/arid" for an action game, too weak for a simulation

Ok no surprises there...

But is it me, or did they remove the review now? I cant find it it seems.

Gamestar.de published a test of OFP: RR and took it offline again because of an embargo. It should be on again tomorrow.

But the name of the test by GS is still visible: :)

"Operation Flashpoint: Red River - Test mit Video: Hirn aus, Knarre an"

In English something like: :)

"Operation Flashpoint: Red River - Review with video: Brain off, guns on"

So their game came out on 4/20?

How appropriate, you'd have to be on drugs to buy it.

So, i have the game and i don't understand why people don't like, i like very much, maybe i leave arma2 serie for OFP3 the true. Why?

- i can play with my ps1 at this game or on my pentium3, i don't have money for change and codemaster think about pooor people and make pooor graphical and empty games for us, thanks shitemaster.

- After, i like solo game, because, all my friends are very stupid and when i play with IA i feel there are my friend, so i'm happy because it's same in real life, my friend stay stand on the street when i make fire they come at front of my gun for die, so i never see a more realistic IA on game, like my friend, i'm enjoy.

- After it's just incredible, because i'm a casual so i don't like use an editor for make map or mission, so they are kind with us because there is not, no mod or other so i'm glad, now i'm waiting the futur dlc, i like pay 15 euros for nothing, and so for that thnaks shitemaster. When i think about bohemia and their editor lool, they understand nothing.

- And for finish, my positive impression, i loved dragon rising and i was afraid they change many things, but not, all is same, ouffffffffff, i'm happy, the same game, not a new stupid game, the same so it's very amazing, when i play at cod is same, i'm afraid they change but no, it's allways same.

Thank you shitemaster for this epic moment of video game. I can use my pentium3 again and again. Don't need upgrade my computer i prefer use my money for empty dlc at 15 euros.

i'm glad, beeeeeeeeeeeeehh because i'm a sheep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Edited by Dalia

nuff said.

So... thats a wrap then :yay:

*Edit: or maybe not, SCs

Edited by Katipo66

So, i have the game and i don't understand why people don't like, i like very much, maybe i leave arma2 serie for OFP3 the true. Why?

- i can play with my ps1 at this game or on my pentium3, i don't have money for change and codemaster think about pooor people and make pooor graphical and empty games for us, thanks shitemaster.

- After, i like solo game, because, all my friends are very stupid and when i play with IA i feel there are my friend, so i'm happy because it's same in real life, my friend stay stand on the street when i make fire they come at front of my gun for die, so i never see a more realistic IA on game, like my friend, i'm enjoy.

- After it's just incredible, because i'm a casual so i don't like use an editor for make map or mission, so they are kind with us because there is not, no mod or other so i'm glad, now i'm waiting the futur dlc, i like pay 15 euros for nothing, and so for that thnaks shitemaster. When i think about bohemia and their editor lool, they understand nothing.

- And for finish, my positive impression, i loved dragon rising and i was afraid they change many things, but not, all is same, ouffffffffff, i'm happy, the same game, not a new stupid game, the same so it's very amazing, when i play at cod is same, i'm afraid they change but no, it's allways same.

Thank you shitemaster for this epic moment of video game. I can use my pentium3 again and again. Don't need upgrade my computer i prefer use my money for empty dlc at 15 euros.

i'm glad, beeeeeeeeeeeeehh because i'm a sheep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh

Hahaha. I like that.

Ok no surprises there...

But is it me, or did they remove the review now? I cant find it it seems.

Yep, both of them, the Gamestar full-test (78%) and the PCGames (62%) test were drawn back again due to the "european news embargo" that lasts until today. Besides, the game was available in stores in Germany from 19th of April on already, so I do smell a bit of "don't publish any test until we sold a certain amount of copies"-behaviour. I mean i don't give a hoo...

Gamestar test is still offline I guess. Anyways, there is a 10 minute video illustrating the first minutes in the game's campaign:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=18125

Edited by Hoot

A 360 review from a finnish site:

http://www.peliplaneetta.net/arvostelut/1314/Operation-Flashpoint-Red-River/

Translation of the summary:

"So called realistic shooter which is riddled with Artificial Incompetence and poor level designing. It just might offer a brief fun played with some friends"

+

*Open areas

*Class system (with minor reservations)

-

*AI

*Level/mission design

*Fake realism

And at the reviewers name he has added:

"Prefers simulations by Bohemia or some honest light arcade shooters"

EDIT:

IGN also published a pc review:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/116/1162918p1.html

Edited by VanhA-ICON
Another review

"So called realistic shooter which is riddled with Artificial Incompetence and poor level designing. It just might offer a brief fun played with some friends"

AI: Artificial Incompetence. :cool:

Well, they gave DR an 8.2 out of 10, so at least they recognize that Codemasters have taken a step backwards rather than improved. :rolleyes:

and the buggers only gave Arma2 7.8 :rolleyes:

Well, they gave DR an 8.2 out of 10, so at least they recognize that Codemasters have taken a step backwards rather than improved. :rolleyes:

No. It was reviewed by a different person and scores are always super-subjective. There's not a single mention of DR in the review.

IGN also bashed new Medal Of Honor for "serious" campaign (the only really good thing in MoH)...

Plus IGN has been publishing exclusive RR stuff, so yeah... I guess You know where I'm heading.