Sign in to follow this  
Brainbug

Ghillies for a change

Ghillies for a change

texture pack for mission makers

Ever been annoyed that the sniper's camo doesn't fit into your mission's environment? Now you can do what every good sniper (and chameleon^^) does: Adapt to the environment as good as possible. Here you can find an assortment of textures (25 so far, until I (or you?) do even more) for the ghillie suit. Since BIS made the ghillie model with the feature of "hidden selections", it is really easy to give it a new look. As most of you probably know, you just need to write

this setObjectTexture [0,"\ghillies_for_a_change\01.paa"];

(or 02.paa, 03.paa and so on) into the init field of a sniper unit in the editor (or you do the same in a script). That means you can have (theoretically) as many different snipers in one mission as you want. Works for all ghillies regardless which faction. Just try out which works best for the environment you are about to send your sniper into: Dark green woods, light grass, sandy and rocky deserts, brown leaves and twigs, urban ruins, even blue enamel decorated mosques^^

Update: Now also with 5 more textures for winter maps.

bg4gmjtv.jpg 7idtzxwq.jpg hiz24muw.jpg fnmifpf9.jpg zitjwz4d.jpg

Download:

EDIT: had to remove it from my FTP, but check the mirrors in the thread below. Thanks to armedassault.info and armaholic.com for hosting!

Edited by Brainbug

Looks great :) Downloading it after a few mins :) once it's uploaded

Nice idea mate. Well done

Excellent!

Thanks for sharing and lets hope this issue get resolved in a future patch so they become effective against AI in all situations.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

If you don't want your mission to have addon requirements, you can extract the desired textures from the pbo and put them straight into the mission file.

Could this be adapted with a script to switch in-game from a load out / ruck / crate? To pick gillie at base and then deploy?

I know this isn't related to the textures but to have something as an addon script with it would be good. Maybe even a dialogue script with a list to select which one ... kind of a menu selection for sniper attached to something to use as a place to access it.

I guess this is a "request" ... so probably the wrong place :)

Edited by mrcash2009

If you don't want your mission to have addon requirements, you can extract the desired textures from the pbo and put them straight into the mission file.

waaa! someone make a Sniper DM where each sniper has a different coloured Ghillie suit!

-k

waaa! someone make a Sniper DM where each sniper has a different coloured Ghillie suit!

-k

I've actually sat on a near-finished sniper DM with half-invisible ghillie suits when you score enough points. I'll see what I can do to finish it up. As they are, the textures in this addon are way too big to be stuffed into a multiplayer mission.

Whoa! Great job, man. Finally, truly effective camo. Some of the pictures I had to look at it like 2-3 times to actually see 'em. Definitely going to download this! :D

Wow, nice! Does other units utilize hidden selections as well?

The carrier guys do, otherwise it's not so common.

This is really nice work, good cam

Love the camos its about time the ghillie suits got some attention, do you have any plans to release different models and different ghillie suits ?

No, I can't do any models, sry.

---

Updated, now includes 5 more textures, for winter maps.

Trying this out! Thanks!!

Is there any chance you could halve the texture sizes and release them unpbo'd so that they could be used in MP without addon requirements or huge downloads?

Well, you can unpbo them for yourself easily (whether you are using winzip for unpacking a zip file or unpbo for unpacking a pbo doesn't make a difference imho) and then use a handful in the mission itself. Download size would increase by a few megabytes, but who can't download a few MB today? After all, downloaded missions are cached, so people would only have to d/l it once if it's not changed.

Lowering the texture size would mean a loss of quality, and that goes against my standards ;) but you can do that for yourself if you want to. I don't endorse that though.