Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Altis - Info & Discussion

Judging by the poll, it's obvious that this is not a OS issue. Could you make a poll with different graphic cards (Nvidia, ATI, low-end, high-end)?

I almost came to the same conclusion, but considering that all of the "no" votes (as of this post) are from people with 64bit systems, I'm not 100% convinced yet.

Furthermore, having tested it on two different systems, I can safely say it's not the graphics card. My main rig (see signature) has a GTX 560 TI and runs Altis with no issues, while my second one has a GTX 550 TI and suffers from the ~0 FPS problem. Those two GPUs aren't different enough to explain that.

The cause must lie elsewhere. If it's not about 32/64bits, I'd say it's either to do with SSD vs. HDD or perhaps the CPU. (My second rig has an AMD Phenom II X4 965 and no SSD).

I almost came to the same conclusion, but considering that all of the "no" votes (as of this post) are from people with 64bit systems, I'm not 100% convinced yet.

Furthermore, having tested it on two different systems, I can safely say it's not the graphics card. My main rig (see signature) has a GTX 560 TI and runs Altis with no issues, while my second one has a GTX 550 TI and suffers from the ~0 FPS problem. Those two GPUs aren't different enough to explain that.

The cause must lie elsewhere. If it's not about 32/64bits, I'd say it's either to do with SSD vs. HDD or perhaps the CPU. (My second rig has an AMD Phenom II X4 965).

Also remember people will vote yes cause they don't get 'great' FPS but has nothing to do with the ~0 FPS issue

Could you post specs for both rigs?

Does anyone know what the big beached bomb-like red and yellow things are?

I assume you mean the buoys

Amazing island (maybe the best ever in the series) but I get a lot of stuttering .

I've got a lot of stuttering in the flatlands near the main airport.. FPS is somewat ok (around 30).

Other areas that I've tried looks fine.. even the main city where the FPS goes down but no stuttering.

View distance 2800 objects 2400 mostly on standard (but changing options didn't help)

Getting same issue as Pipin78.

Amazing map! Great work BIS! Hummingbird almost ran out of fuel after a spin around the map.

Win7 64Bit 8GB RAM SSD

AMD Pheonom II x6 1055T @ 3.8

AMD HD7870 Tahiti LE 2GB

CPU: AMD phenom II 1055T @3.2 GHz

Graphics card: XFX radeon 7970 3GB DDR5

Windows 7 - 64bit

0-1 fps

-nologs fixed it for me

Add the following in your Arma3 Steam launch options

-nosplash -nopause -nologs -world=empty

This will make the game start faster and possibly fix the FPS issue some are seeing

hello there

Whilst in the air (piloting the LB equiv) my frame rates unfortunately did became a little choppy, but on the ground there was no major reduction (perhaps a few frames).

I run with the usual modlines.

Rdgs

LoK

The cause must lie elsewhere. If it's not about 32/64bits, I'd say it's either to do with SSD vs. HDD or perhaps the CPU. (My second rig has an AMD Phenom II X4 965 and no SSD).

I have a PII x4 965 and no SSD and a GTX 480 and the only thing I get is an intermittent stutter that seems to be loading of objects that will drop FPS to 2 and then back up in like a second or so.

My specs:

Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz

ATI HD4870

2Gb RAM

Win 8 32bit

Could this be a RAM related problem. According to my performance logs the CPU and HDD are running at about 50% but the RAM is almost at 100%.

You guys with stutter; do you have V-sync on? I had huge stuttering, then i turned off v-sync. Smooth as silk now.

In the middle of the dry lake, I get 65-70fps with 99% gpu usage, and NO stutter/freezing. That's with completely maxed settings, and 4k view/2k object view.

If I go to more demanding areas of the map that cause GPU usage (and fps) drops (like any of the cities), Stutter begins to become more pronounced, and the occasional complete freezing for half a second or so happens as well (interestingly, not happening as much now that I've been on the map a bit. In the beginning it was quite frequent). Even if I back down my settings. Seems the issues may be related to me... Or, at least, the stutter/hitching/freezing becomes more pronounced when in bottle-necking areas of the map. Same effect I have with stuttering on Stratis since beta started. Only, the stutter was never as bad on stratis as it is on Altis for me. But, there also aren't as many objects on Stratis. Running with -nologs enabled, btw. Disabling SSAO gave noticeable improvement to stutter on Stratis. Doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on Altis either way)

Edited by Mobile_Medic

Seems fine for me but I am experiencing some slight stutter in built up areas in the MH-9. Frame rate is up around 60 in the open and drops to 35 - 40 in the capital city. All in all it's not too bad on FPS apart from the stutter, all my settings were on ultra which was carried over from the auto detect. I dropped some of my settings down a little and gained some frames fairly easily. I feel for you guys that are getting an unplayable frame rate, nothing more frustrating.

Altis looks amazing and I am looking forward to the full release. The only cons I can see at the moment are no rivers, some buildings are blocked off and not enough forested area(s). I'm also getting an error when I go to place the first object into the editor but it doesn't seem to be causing any major issues.

Bring on the 12th and the full release!!!

Can't say I have any unexpected FPS issues. Sure, I got bad textures after a while and it stutters (loading) a bit when I'm closing by a town, but that I expected considering my ridiculously old computer. I frankly didn't expect ArmA 3 to run at all when I first bought it. Either way, my FPS is at an average around 30 FPS on the not so densely populated areas. Haven't gone to one of the bigger places yet.

Mainboard : Asus P5KC

Chipset : Intel P31/P35

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3000 MHz

Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM PC2-6400 (399 MHz) - [DDR2-800])

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 (1,5GB VRAM)

Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit

So far I've gone from the main airport to Telos, then further towards Kalithea, Cap Zefyris, Agios Georgios, Almya, Ochrolimni, Cap Thelos, along Thelos Bay, Limni, Cap Katigidis, down Chalkeia Bay to the ruins of Aktinarki. Of course, by then I realized - for the first time in my ArmA history..

BSm75LTCAAADW_i.jpg

κῦδος, developers! ;)

Edited by colossus
slight spec error

You guys with stutter; do you have V-sync on? I had huge stuttering, then i turned off v-sync. Smooth as silk now.

No vsync here, right now. Vsync causes it's own problems (though, I recently read that alt/tabbing out of the game and back in, resolves v-sync issues. It did seem to work for me as well on that front. But, I've been leaving it off due to it obviously not functioning properly and wanting to leave additional variables out of the equation when troubleshooting)

No lag on Altis here, runs just as well as Stratis.

This is my new favorite map! I loved Chernarus but it really has got nothing on this. Its very authentic and reminds me a lot of my holiday on Zakynthos a few years ago. Bloody fantastic work.

I'm loving Altis so far, but I do have a few issues with streaming some of the countryside in! Not too much of a problem but it is noticeable on flying fast over the terrain.

Now I need a fast jet (with GBUs), and a little bit of optimisation and I'm a happy puppy.

CPU: AMD phenom II 1055T @3.2 GHz

Graphics card: XFX radeon 7970 3GB DDR5

Windows 7 - 64bit

0-1 fps

-nologs fixed it for me

Are you using a spinner or an SSD?

But why do they have the red bottom as seen here:

These are wave power buoys. Inside the bottom there are pumps that rise and fall with the waves, creating electricity :)

Just went for a 40min flight in the mh9 around Altis and it's gorgeous! Great job!

I'm at around 3500m Overall and object viewdistance, and I think it runs ok. But it does stutter a bit in urban areas. I tried at 12000m, but it was just a slideshow :)

Could this be hard drive issue? I have 2 hard drives and A3 is on my 2nd one. Sometimes the 2nd one seems slower cause it takes longer to show folders, but all other games on it perform relatively fine. It also has 14 GB space left so it should be enough.

Alright, I explored a bit more of Altis, this time driving along a western coastal road. The feeling of Mediterranean is amazing, really stunned by the quality, and it's a nice contrast to the dry middle land. I've yet to see Altis from the air, I'll try that next time, so far I've only seen a few km2..

Has BIS said when we will be able to test their new missions on Altis?