Sign in to follow this  
echo_2-7

DLC- What do YOU want?

Well I want SP and MP to be the same. MP issues can already be hard enough to tackle (locality, local effects etc). I don't want to face the possible differences in how we have to handle bugs that needs special care for SP and MP because the systems work differently.

I would love to see more OpFor factions, weapons and units. We've been killing T72's, Mi17's and AK47-wielding soldiers for over 10 years... it's kinda dull now.

What I would like that in the next DLC (already confirmed as a PMC/mercenary units dedicated DLC) that BIS together with what is already planned that this next DLC includes the "missing" British units (that IMO should have been present in BAF) which are:

- Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank

- A fixed-wing close air support aircraft such as the Harrier GR9 (just needs minor model changes and reskin from the USMC AV-8B from ArmA2) or perhaps even an F-35B.

- Support vehicles (an Ambulance, a Repair vehicle, a Rearm vehicle and a Refuel vehicle)

BAF could have been a very interesting DLC but unfornatunally the lack a key vehicles (like the support vehicles, MBT and close air support fixed-wing aircraft), makes the British faction a very limited one to play with, specially in extensive scenarios such as Warfare!

BIS added what is currently serving or about to serve in 'stan

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

I like the North Korea idea. Especially with a North Korea Map, with many canyons.

Considering vehicles, each DLCs consists of 1-3 vehicles, what vehicles would you like to come with a North Korea pack? Whats "represantative" for the North Korean Army?

And please nothing whats already ingame, no T-34s and no T-55s.

I think that will start WW3 :D

BIS added what is currently serving or about to serve in 'stan

- The M1 Abrams Tank isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (and I doubt that it will ever serve).

- The M2 Bradley IFV isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS.

- The Upgraded Warrior (with turret with 40mm cannon - in BAF) isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (and I doubt that it will serve).

- The AS50 Sniper Rifle (BAF) isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (and I doubt that it will ever serve).

- The SCAR isn't serving in Afghanistan or if it is, it's serving in VERY LIMITED numbers and was modeled by BIS.

- The Wilcat helicopter (BAF) isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (hell it still doesn't exist and I doubt that it will ever serve - it's a future project!!).

...and I could go on! So don't get me wrong but I don't think that your argumentation regarding this issue is that much valid. ;)

- The M1 Abrams Tank isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (and I doubt that it will ever serve).

- The Upgraded Warrior (with turret with 40mm cannon - in BAF) isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (and I doubt that it will serve).

- The AS50 Sniper Rifle (BAF) isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (and I doubt that it will ever serve).

- The SCAR isn't serving in Afghanistan or if it is, it's serving in VERY LIMITED numbers and was modeled by BIS.

- The Wilcat helicopter (BAF) isn't serving in Afghanistan and was modeled by BIS (hell it still doesn't exist and I doubt that it will ever serve - it's a future project!!).

...and I could go on! So don't get me wrong but I don't think that your argumentation regarding this issue is that much valid. ;)

Well the Afghan army is our Allie, in OA they are like the Iraqi's

I'm voting for complete armies in DLCs but not for 'couple of soldiers, one jeep and chopper', and accurate representation of all weaponry, uniforms, armor and aviation (not some future variants where every soldier has rifle made for SOF only).

I'm voting for complete armies in DLCs but not for 'couple of soldiers, one jeep and chopper', and accurate representation of all weaponry, uniforms, armor and aviation (not some future variants where every soldier has rifle made for SOF only).

I second that.

Plus all that future stuff is pretty useless if there's isnt even the main stuff they use rightnow or have been using for a long time.

I like feature like accurate shogun bullets in PMC DLC. Maybe they could do more of this in next DLCs. Like upgrade some of A2 stuff and add some new content or smt.

I completly agree and you have my vote as well!!

Complete armies in DLCs well apparently you don't know what is meant with "complete" or you simply lack the knowledge of "armies" but "DLC" could be another unkown term for you...

Anyway its great to see all the ideas and suggestions - sure BIS will still do what they think its good and profitable. :p

the list you brought up has very little to do with anything. this is takistan, not afghanistan. the missions and conditions are different.

in the scenario BIS made, the US army is conducting phase 3 operations, other wise known as "breaking shit phase." BIS game the army the tools it needed to conduct is mission of quickly sweeping into takistan, and breaking as much stuff as possible.

BAF takes place years later in phase 4, (stability and peacekeeping). BIS might have used a'stan as a base, but they gave the BAF what they needed to conduct their mission (no heavy equipment). one part authenticity/one part time to model extra gear

granted takistan is a much easier environment to operate in logistically due to it having a coast, thus it would be much easier to support and deploy the heavy forces...

as for the extra gear, BIS took creative license, and adds to our arsenal. granted i wish there were US units with M4s rather than mk16s...

Doesn't matter to me if they were Mk16/Mk17 instead of M4/M16. For me it was a fresh change from the usual, content we already had in Arma2. My only wish is that the configs was updated if you had access to A2 content, so they could be used without any game breaking problems (for me that would be night fighting and optics).

the list you brought up has very little to do with anything. this is takistan, not afghanistan. the missions and conditions are different.

in the scenario BIS made, the US army is conducting phase 3 operations, other wise known as "breaking shit phase." BIS game the army the tools it needed to conduct is mission of quickly sweeping into takistan, and breaking as much stuff as possible.

BAF takes place years later in phase 4, (stability and peacekeeping). BIS might have used a'stan as a base, but they gave the BAF what they needed to conduct their mission (no heavy equipment). one part authenticity/one part time to model extra gear

Look, the list that I gave was a direct reply to VIPER89's post where he said that the small list of BAF units was due to an atempt by BIS to mimic the British units in Afghanistan - my post was to prove that this isn't true since many units (INCLUDING BAF ones - see "my list") aren't present in Afghanistan.

Even with the argument that the list of units in BAF is small because of the counter-insurgency nature of the BAF campaign/story which I completly disagree afterall the BAF units as any other ArmA units are mostly used in user-made missions/campaigns and not in the official ones, there is still a major lacking in the list of units that should IMO be present in BAF and those units are:

- Support units (Ambulance, Repair/rearm/refuel vehicles) which are always present in war scenarios including counter-insurgency ones!

- Fixed wing aircraft such as the Harrier (BIS would only need to make small changes in the USMC AV8B that comes with ArmA2) - fixed-wing aircraft are always present in war scenarios including counter-insurgency ones!

This is serving in Afghanistan. :)

What I was thinking of was a Australia/New Zealand + Indonesian/East Timor Militia OPFOR in a jungle environment. (But include Desert Variants for Afghan operations :p ) Modern Jungle insurgency operations would be a good change of pace, and with the Aussie/NZ state of the art kit for everyone to enjoy, seems like a flawless plan.

granted, the US army does not even have the correct support units. they are all MTVRs (army dosnt use those), wile they need to be FMTVs, HEMT, and proper recovery vics (like strykers, and converted abrams)

so it is not so bad that BAF didnt get thier "own" assets, as even the US didnt get any proper ones.

and if you want to get really technical, they need to add in KBR tractor trailers for hauling supplies :p

preferably up armored ones ;)

and maybe some jingle trucks

This is serving in Afghanistan. :)

That what I said that post of mine... ;)

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

granted, the US army does not even have the correct support units. they are all MTVRs (army dosnt use those), wile they need to be FMTVs, HEMT, and proper recovery vics (like strykers, and converted abrams)

so it is not so bad that BAF didnt get thier "own" assets, as even the US didnt get any proper ones.

and if you want to get really technical, they need to add in KBR tractor trailers for hauling supplies :p

preferably up armored ones ;)

and maybe some jingle trucks

Yes, I know that the MTVR it's a truck used the the US Marines and not by the US Army but at least the American faction in OA (US Army) have American support vehicles in the game and the US Army also has it's own and realistic Ambulances (Stryker and Hummer Ambulance variants) and that it's way more than what the British units have in BAF, specially considering that BAF is PAYWARE - If BAF was a freeware addon like that Apache in version 1.05 of ArmA2 that would be OK, but BAF is a payware addon which is supposed to model the British forces and thus and IMO, support units for the British in BAF should be MANDATORY (once again all that BIS would need to do, would be to make minor changes to the Land Rover model in order to model a British Army Ambulance).

Edited by ricnunes

Yes, I know that the MTVR it's a truck used the the US Marines and not by the US Army but at least the American faction in OA (US Army) have American support vehicles in the game and the US Army also has it's own and realistic Ambulances (Stryker and Hummer Ambulance variants) and that it's way more than what the British units have in BAF, specially considering that BAF is PAYWARE - If BAF was a freeware addon like that Apache in version 1.05 of ArmA2 that would be OK, but BAF is a payware addon which is supposed to model the British forces and thus and IMO, support units for the British in BAF should be MANDATORY (once again all that BIS would need to do, would be to make minor changes to the Land Rover model in order to model a British Army Ambulance).

When I buy chocolate flavoured ice cream-- I don't take it back to the shop complaining its not strawberry flavoured. Even IF the shop also sells strawberry ice cream.

Where exactly on the BAF box does it say "all inclusive" or "strawberry" for that matter?

-k

no joke I would pay for ragdoll physics from bullet hits and improved animations.

I would buy Arma 2, OA and BAF again just to get ragdoll physics and better animations, but the fact is, and this has been discussed alot before, the Engine Arma runs on doesn't allow for it.

To get Ragdoll they would have to buy, or make another engine, and a BIG problem with this is that everyone would have to learn how to create missions and addons again.

More on the topic though, I don't think anyone in the Czech Republic will care enough about the ANZAC's to put them in their game, so I would say I would like to see a South American conflict, hasn't been done before, even though Icebreaker is making Lingor it would be nice to have official content. Also before someone goes "How would the US/UK/Chinese/Al Qaeda/Taliban/Germans/French/Dutch/Italian/Spanish/Russians/Borat fit into this?" I will say that not all conficts involve western countries and major powers (Almost all ;) ).

When I buy chocolate flavoured ice cream-- I don't take it back to the shop complaining its not strawberry flavoured. Even IF the shop also sells strawberry ice cream.

Where exactly on the BAF box does it say "all inclusive" or "strawberry" for that matter?

-k

Well, when I buy an Ice cream and the shop where I buy it doesn't give me a cone or a cup to put the ice cream in (to SUPPORT the Ice cream) this means that the Ice cream is INCOMPLETE (and we expect that ALL Ice cream shops provides the customers with a Cone or Cup for the Ice cream)!! :rolleyes:

Using your very odd (I must say) analogy, this is what BIS did with BAF IMO.

Edited by ricnunes

i would like to see a fully GMF dlc.

german military forces. could aslo be named Gaf :)

With so many very talented graphics and object modders, I do not see me buying DLC of units and islands, or campaigns. I would pay for new and improved "features", though:

1. Improve AI:

1.1 CQB fighting in buildings, shooting from inside buildings (out of windows)

1.2 reduce AI aggressiveness/rashness to less suicidal behavior and make firefights last realistically longer

1.3 incorporate a more powerful wounded treatment and diagnosis system (a la SLX & ACE), and evacuation of wounded to base ("no one will be left behind")

1.4 add a scripting function to determine LOS, line of projectiles, and objects (and selections) in those trajectories

1.5 Get a player command working for squads to search for certain types of cover (house, objects, house and objects, walk behind moving vehicles etc)

2. Improve the Vehicle simulation part to match good plane, helicopter, tank and ship/sub simulations

2.1 tanks: bring inside back, including fully functional gauges, or MFDs and communication assets in modern tanks; a scripting function to determine impact polar coordinates (angles);

2.2 more detailed damage models, which more different (realistic) armor sections, and more parts that can get damaged and lead to loss of more functional parts (all types of electronics, weapon systems etc)

2.3 Split the "ominipotent sensor" into a real separate Radar and IR sensors, which can both be active and passive. UV might not be very useful as it is not that widely used yet. Introduce atmospheric extinction of both, sun blinding of IR, true chaff, flare and ECM countermeasures, etc

2.4 add real, configurable MFDs (like in Janes Longbow etc)

In short, get the air simulation part up to standards that allow to compete with a true simulation. Same for tanks. Doesn't have to reach Falcon 4, Apache Longbow or Steel Beasts, but the closer the better.

With so many very talented graphics and object modders, I do not see me buying DLC of units and islands, or campaigns. I would pay for new and improved "features", though:

1. Improve AI:

1.1 CQB fighting in buildings, shooting from inside buildings (out of windows)

1.2 reduce AI aggressiveness/rashness to less suicidal behavior and make firefights last realistically longer

1.3 incorporate a more powerful wounded treatment and diagnosis system (a la SLX & ACE), and evacuation of wounded to base ("no one will be left behind")

1.4 add a scripting function to determine LOS, line of projectiles, and objects (and selections) in those trajectories

1.5 Get a player command working for squads to search for certain types of cover (house, objects, house and objects, walk behind moving vehicles etc)

2. Improve the Vehicle simulation part to match good plane, helicopter, tank and ship/sub simulations

2.1 tanks: bring inside back, including fully functional gauges, or MFDs and communication assets in modern tanks; a scripting function to determine impact polar coordinates (angles);

2.2 more detailed damage models, which more different (realistic) armor sections, and more parts that can get damaged and lead to loss of more functional parts (all types of electronics, weapon systems etc)

2.3 Split the "ominipotent sensor" into a real separate Radar and IR sensors, which can both be active and passive. UV might not be very useful as it is not that widely used yet. Introduce atmospheric extinction of both, sun blinding of IR, true chaff, flare and ECM countermeasures, etc

2.4 add real, configurable MFDs (like in Janes Longbow etc)

In short, get the air simulation part up to standards that allow to compete with a true simulation. Same for tanks. Doesn't have to reach Falcon 4, Apache Longbow or Steel Beasts, but the closer the better.

This is as it should roll out of the box :)

I managed to overcome this by giving the AI a "move" waypoint on the location I want them to either fight or defend from. Then, I assign another waypoint (or a series of waypoints) towards a fallback position. You then place a trigger, I generally make it a circle with a diameter of 300 (maybe less, depending on the scenario), and set to the opposing force (OpFor, BluFor, Independent, etc) Present, and sync it up with the first waypoint.

Then, when the enemy is within the 300 meter diameter, the AI will begin to retreat, and due to the way the AI naturally behaves, it'll still seem like they're fighting.

...but, really, this should just be part of the AI, shouldn't have to be set up.