Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

I do hope I wasn't giving the wrong impression, as the support you guys (Alex72, Manzilla, Cross and JMan from KH, and many more), are doing, inside this thread, and elsewhere,

is tremendously appreciated and certainly not overlooked :)

I was more aiming at people with demands or certain expectations; Welcome to join the team and put in just that bit of extra you want :)

It is however as I described, simply not always possible with the limited resources at our disposal, to do everything by the book, altough I admit it would certainly be preferred :)

Re Missions not working locally or on dedicated servers:

I have attached semi-automated and automated means to resolve these issues with the missions,

details are available here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/9279

Edited by Sickboy

I do hope I wasn't giving the wrong impression, as the support you guys (Alex72, Manzilla, Cross and JMan from KH, and many more), are doing, inside this thread, and elsewhere,

is tremendously appreciated and certainly not overlooked :)

I was more aiming at people with demands or certain expectations; Welcome to join the team and put in just that bit of extra you want :)

It is however as I described, simply not always possible with the limited resources at our disposal, to do everything by the book, altough I admit it would certainly be preferred :)

Re Missions not working locally or on dedicated servers:

I have attached semi-automated and automated means to resolve these issues with the missions,

details are available here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/9279

The bottom line is that you guys get way to much flak for a project you guys undertook out of charity, not a salary. If people don't like the way you guys decided to set-up ACE2 then just don't play. Better yet, take a deep breath, do a thread search for your problem and learn how to overcome it. Yes the Six Updater was a bit difficult to learn at first, I struggled with it for about 15 minutes, but after that initial learning period I've decided it's a fantastic tool/method. In the past, I was one that hated even refused to use tools like this. But after learning the ins and outs I see why the devs decided on this system.

No worries sickboy, I didn't get any bad impression. The time myself, and the others listed, spend helping you out is nothing compared to the mammoth amount you guys working on ACE2 have invested into this project. The way I feel about it is that I have to do something to help you guys out. I don't really feel right about "taking" something this large with out giving at least something back. I'm just not wired that way.

Hey guy's, i was doing some looking around after being inspired by the core ACE AK additions, and i found some mods that could add some effective gameplay immersion for A.C.E:

Golf Pack

4-picgolf.jpg

The mod contains the retextured BIS Golf in 6 different colors as well as a Bundeswehr Golf, great for insurgents trying to keep their civilian cover in an urban environment.

(13Mb)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9662

Not sure if your looking into the future but...

Aliens Colonial Marines and APC

3-vilas_apc_01.jpg

ArmA 1 conversion of some units and vehicles from the AVP area. This is essential for the curious minds.

(23Mb)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7128

WWII Warships

Speaks for itself, ace doesn't have any naval element at the moment and this would provide such a feature.

(22Mb)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6778

WW I Pilots

4-pkw_pilots_arma2_2.jpg

This addon provides World War I Pilot character units in Entanta and Central Countries. Providing some more historical elements and accuracy to go along with items like the SKS.

(27Mb)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9298

Another that can go towards more camoflague weapons:

M16a4 Red and Blue Tiger Stripes

These should allow players more choicec in personalizing equipment for the environment.

8582-arma01s.jpg

Red Stripes:

"C1987_M16a4_red"

"C1987_M16a4_gl_red"

"c1987_M16a4_acg_red"

"c1987_M16a4_acg_gl_red"

Blue Stripes:

"C1987_M16a4_blue"

"c1987_M16a4_gl_blue"

"C1987_M16a4_acg_blue"

"c1987_M16a4_acg_gl_blue"

(3.6Mb)

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=996

Lastly something for the nuke

ArmA Nuke Alpha

nuke1s.jpg

Insurgents can attach to towing tractors and move it around a town to evade western forces looking for it.

(6Mb)

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=0&cat=addons&id=887

These mods total to around 100Mb so it wont impact core file sizes as much as the 137 meg of RH AK's we've had a pleasure of downloading.

Who needs ACEX when you can just fill the core ACE mod with cosmetic goodies!

You should add a ticket requesting these at DH. They won't get any attention by the Devs here, as stated often in the past.

One thing though..... Please no tiger striped M16's! ;)

The pilots wouldn't fit into the core ACE2 Mod. I may be wrong here but I do not think any units are present in the core Mod. That would have to be ACEX. As with the Golfs. I'm not sure if they are working the historical aspect anyways. A modern pilot for the independents/insurgents would be more applicable, unless they add a bi-plane for a faction. I don't think the SKS is really there for a historical perspective. I believe it was added because it's a "basic" weapon that could be in an insurgent/resistance arsenal.

Edited by Manzilla

The bottom line is that you guys get way to much flak for a project you guys undertook out of charity, not a salary...

No worries sickboy, I didn't get any bad impression...

Agreed Manzilla. Speaking of receiving utter crap:

Awesome Delta51. Bravo!

If you'd put that energy into actually doing something constructive, boy you would be able to accomplish amazing things.

The funniest thing, you're wrong. RH AK's are in ACEX, not in ACE core. And was about 100 MB of data transfer on Six Updater. not 130.

Edited by Sickboy

Hmm thats interesting, I updated our server using Six Updater and it downloaded 6/700mb of updates... which we then had people downloading off our Yomas that's linked to our server (obviously minus the rsync packets). Where did the extra 6/700mb come from? We have a few people who have low download quota's and won't actually download the update unless they know what all those extra mb's are for haha

I assumed (obviously, correct) the AK's wouldnt be anymore than 120/150mb, so this is interesting.

Otherwise it's all good :)

We changed nearly every PBO at RC4.

You didn't download 700 MB of updates over Six Updater though.

You delta patched 700 MB worth of data. The total data transfer for RC4 was ~130 MB over rsync, of which 100 MB entirely new files, RH AK's in ACEX.

(If you still have six-updater.log (Located in your profile\appdata\roaming\six-updater\logs), the rsync stats that are printed in it after the updates of mod folders, will show you :))

Yes anyone doing the maths will understand crystal clear why it is the only official distribution method we support :)

(Totally no disrespect or otherwise bad vibe intended to any other distribution method out there.. And certainly know SUS is nowhere near perfect either)

Edited by Sickboy

yep..

rsync -> you download only the changes (changed bytes not the whole file)

addonsync -> you download/re-download the whole zipped pbos that are changed, even though changed 1 byte.

Loving the new AKs, not a bad thing to come back to after going away for a few days, thank you ACEX crew and RH :)

Edited by Rommel

Hey Guys maybe its just me, but after downloading the latest Six Updater and clicking on it, my computer says the file is incomplete or something. I've been using Six Updater for a while now, but this is the first time that something doesnt work. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance community!

Hey Guys maybe its just me, but after downloading the latest Six Updater and clicking on it, my computer says the file is incomplete or something. I've been using Six Updater for a while now, but this is the first time that something doesnt work. Can someone please help me with this? Thanks in advance community!

Did you try downloading it again? Did you uninstall the previous version first? I downloaded the newest version myself yesterday and it works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I downloaded it several times, even on different computers. It still tells me "Installer Integrity has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media..."

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I downloaded it several times, even on different computers. It still tells me "Installer Integrity has failed. Common causes include incomplete download and damaged media..."

I verified it just now aswell and experience no issues. Browsers have sometimes odd cache behaviour though.

Could you please try deleting the download, closing every browser window you have open, wait a short bit, reopen your favorite browser, and redownload?

Caching should be quite apparant, when the file is received within only a fraction of the ordinary download time :P

If you keep having issues I don't mind uploading to an alternative site for you to try.

You said it worked before, so what's changed since you last used it? Anything new? Anti-virus, etc... Maybe try downloading in a different browser?

Here's generic information that I found on the error...

NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) is a professional open source system to create Windows installers.

NSIS developed the "envelope" that contains the software you are attempting to install, not the software itself. This allows any software developer to use NSIS to ease the process of installing software.

NSIS Error Messages:

- Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include

incomplete download and damaged media.

- The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete.

This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download or a virus.

How to fix the problem?

* If the software was obtained from the Internet:

- Clear your browser's cache.

- Disable any download accelerators or managers and download the installer again.

- Rename the installer so it is a simple one-word name with no special characters (without removing the .exe suffix) Example: install.exe

- Download the installer from another source approved by the software developer or publisher. (It might be corrupted on the server, or the connection to the server is unreliable from your location.)

- Update your anti-virus software (if installed) and download the installer again.

- Disable your anti-virus software and download the installer again.

- Download the installer using another computer and copy it to the original computer.

- If you have the nVidia firewall installed, uninstall the program and download the installer again.

- Scan for, and remove malware and viruses on your system.

- Scan the hard drive using scandisk, chkdsk, or any other hard drive repair tool.

* If the software was obtained from a CD, DVD, or other physical media:

If you are receiving this problem from an installer located on a disc or other media besides the Internet, then the problem may be due to a hardware failure or more likely the physical media being damaged. Try reading files from other parts of the media. If you are receiving read errors with other files on the disc, then the problem is likely due to damaged media. You will need to contact the source of the physical media for a replacement.

*-* Why do you get NSIS Error?

The NSIS error message box basically means that the setup executable (.exe) or installer user is trying to run is corrupted, or incomplete. However, often it’s not the actual cause.

One possible candidate is Windows Firewall which exists in Windows XP and later operating system such as Windows 2003, 2008 and Windows Vista. The solution is to disable the Windows Firewall and run the installer again.

Other reported problem maker that trigger NSIS Error include integrated nVidia NIC (network interface card) that includes a firewall. In this case, user have to change the network adapter to one without firewall or switch to wireless network temporarily to get the installer installed, as disabling the network card will still cause NSIS Error.

Like Sickboy said, it could be a cache problem.

EDIT -

Small thing: I can't seem to get weapon cartridges to stay on the ground. I can take out or leave in the // in front of #define ACE_CARTRIDGES, but the cartridges won't stay on the ground. Any help would be great

It works for me if I set my graphics options to HIGH or better (which specific one I forget), on NORMAL or below they don't seem to show up.

Hey guy's, i was doing some looking around after being inspired by the core ACE AK additions, and i found some mods that could add some effective gameplay immersion for A.C.E:

pink cars, zebra striped guns, and an alien apc... :rolleyes:

You should add a ticket requesting these at DH. They won't get any attention by the Devs here, as stated often in the past.

So glad this is true.

Edited by Mosh
more stuff

I'm not sure if I need to answer that. Reason being that this isn't some paid piece of software, and that I am working my balls off every day to provide people with things.

Can't always do things as they are supposed to. If things need be done by the book, someone should consider hiring us instead :)

Or perhaps people should offer themselves to take upon themselves these tasks, but you won't see that happen..

...in my opinion NO! Sickboy simply be free not answer.

You(Ace Team) develop ACE and only you have to decide how to do.

your it is a great effort and for free and for me is incredible hear people to say:

"this addonn is no good" "the method is not my favourite" "why did you change that?" "where are my little birds(?!?)"...etc.

i race in the past on line in an italian(maybe the 1th) league on GTR2,

we use a mod(N.A.P.) deep and sophisticated,comparable for quality to ACE2(but no update system like Six-Updater)

and no one in the community had to complain about it. the mod was so and stop.

for me Ace is fantastic and I have only to say a big thank you to the develop team.

and you "where is my AK47 people"... stop play it. simply

ps:sry for my idiot english and for my tone

Thank you very, very much Sickboy and Mosh! It appears that it really was a problem with my cache. I followed your instructions and it worked. You are the ones that make this community so awesome! Cheers.

Congrats ACE team! Greatly enjoying your work. Cannot play without it.

The Six Updater is a bit difficult to start using, but after it's setup, it's like a RonCo product 'just set it, and forget it!' lol. Beautiful.

Your talent and dedication, for our benefit, is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

...in my opinion NO! Sickboy simply be free not answer.

You(Ace Team) develop ACE and only you have to decide how to do.

your it is a great effort and for free and for me is incredible hear people to say:

"this addonn is no good" "the method is not my favourite" "why did you change that?" "where are my little birds(?!?)"...etc.

Sorry I have another approach.

If dev contributes for some one else, 'some one else' goes to be a customer. It doesn't matter if application for free or not.

Since it, customers have rights to give some constructive criticism or just say what they don't like - and there is nothing wrong with it.

I am also software developer. Commercial and free ones. And I've never answered: "I do it for free so you have no rights to say that you don't like some".

It would be very arrogant. If I want my software to be used by customers, I have to do all I can to make them satisfied. EVEN IF I DO MY JOB FOR FREE.

Personaly makes me crazy if some one gives me possibility to use his software but in the middle of testing (which is part of customer work, costs time etc) I got answer that I can f* out rather than expect some improvements.

I can see such approach on PDA ROMs scene. Where there are about 50 custom ROMs for HTC HD, any one has bugs, most of devs gives not any change logs, version changes once a week and are released without any basic tests etc etc. And when I'm trying to ask for anything I got answer in your style.

It's all about respect each other. But for-free-software developer is not a holly cow.

PS. I also work for simracing. ;)

Edited by MaXyM

Everyone should decide for himself on which terms he wants to develop (It's their blood, sweat and tears).

If you look at the BugTrackers, nobody can claim we don't support our products either :)

The only reason for my response is the way people handle themselves. There's a big difference between constructive feedback, and bitching attitude. Why should we have to put up with it?

I also don't agree that everyone's a customer. A customer pays. It's as simple as that.

When a customer buys a product, he has _bought_ the rights on support and a good functioning product. (Except for the Games Industry then, right? ;))

When you don't you are left to only the goodwill of the developer, and you don't stimulate that positively by demands and bitching :)

I do agree that it's certainly not holy cow, but like you say it's about respect. I have a lot of things to manage, it is simply impossible to do it by the book always.

So what that I missed announcing that the Updater will auto-start the game from now on. It's not as if you don't notice yourself :D

Also open to suggestions but i'm not going to waste my time on "angry" so called "customers", with so called constructive feedback (which it most of the time isnt).

Anyway, maybe we can go back on topic. Appreciate the support given!

Edited by Sickboy

customers have rights to give some constructive criticism or just say what they don't like - and there is nothing wrong with it

Yes they do. And there is a place for that and a proper way to go about it.

not asking over and over, or DEMANDING/ASKING STUFF IN CAPITAL LETTERS WITH LOTS OF QUESTION MARKS!!!!????!!!??!!! or even making long posts/rants/sales pitches in this thread

Make a ticket. Let people vote if they want. Then let the final decision rest in the hands of the ACE team. Live with the decision.

I think that is the point people defending them try to make. This thread is for updates and simple problem-solving (although I'm sure it wasn't really intended for the latter as much).

As far as 'they do it for free so why do they care', seriously, do people really think they have that attitude? So if nobody played they would just be ok with that and continue making stuff? Of course they care, get real people.

This has been brought up several times in this thread, the other ACE thread, and everywhere else for that matter. So I just thought I'd offer my deep thoughts for the day...

EDIT -

I didn't mean to repeat what Sickboy just said, I just type real damn slow... I'll go away now...

Edited by Mosh
was beat to the punch...

Sorry I have another approach.

If dev contributes for some one else, 'some one else' goes to be a customer. It doesn't matter if application for free or not.

Since it, customers have rights to give some constructive criticism or just say what they don't like - and there is nothing wrong with it.

I am also software developer. Commercial and free ones. And I've never answered: "I do it for free so you have no rights to say that you don't like some".

It would be very arrogant. If I want my software to be used by customers, I have to do all I can to make them satisfied. EVEN IF I DO MY JOB FOR FREE.

You are talking about voluntary commitment to your work and 'customer' support. And as you can see, our team is quite commited to both the development and support, within our free time and energy. Constructive feedback is obviously welcome and noone will tell you where you can go for that. However this is where our commitment ends - if someone comes with a negative/infantile attitude, we don't feel obliged to please them - such people apparently have their own internal issues, and they're not ours to treat.

Everyone should decide for himself on which terms he wants to develop (It's their blood, sweat and tears).

If you look at the BugTrackers, nobody can claim we don't support our products either :)

The only reason for my response is the way people handle themselves. There's a big difference between constructive feedback, and bitching attitude. Why should we have to put up with it?

I also don't agree that everyone's a customer. A customer pays. It's as simple as that.

When a customer buys a product, he has _bought_ the rights on support and a good functioning product. (Except for the Games Industry then, right? ;))

When you don't you are left to only the goodwill of the developer, and you don't stimulate that positively by demands and bitching :)

I do agree that it's certainly not holy cow, but like you say it's about respect. I have a lot of things to manage, it is simply impossible to do it by the book always.

So what that I missed announcing that the Updater will auto-start the game from now on. It's not as if you don't notice yourself :D

Also open to suggestions but i'm not going to waste my time on "angry" so called "customers", with so called constructive feedback (which it most of the time isnt).

Anyway, maybe we can go back on topic. Appreciate the support given!

Don't put up with it, screw 'em.

The people that insist on whining won't get very far on these here forums. Either they will get jumped on by the community or the Moderators will eventually start penalizing them. Anyone then suggests you guys don't support your products and listen to constructive criticism is nuts. As you suggested, the bug tracker is clear proof. For Christ's sake this Mod is built upon constructive criticism. Most of the stuff in here was either suggested at one point or something the devs felt needed a "new direction", formed a group and debated between themselves what should and shouldn't be in the Mod.

There's plenty of people that do appreciate what you've done here and are more then happy to give helpful suggestions and report bugs. If a small group of people don't like it, let them moan. Like you said, they can either choose to like it and thus play, if not they should simply not use it. It's not like they didn't get there money's worth since it's free.

Quick reply to all that bitch about bugs, support, features.

Stop Whinning!!!!

The ACE team does a hell of an outstanding job. The 506th is onboard with project, all the way. We love ACE. It makes the game bearable. If not out right awesome. I believe it was intended to be used in PVP. So coops aren't going to experience it as intended.

I also believe it is "Use at Own Risk". So be prepared for hickups and bugs. These guys respond better than any paid pros I ever had to deal with. And they do it for free. For you. Me. And the community they love.

So stop bitching at them, and enjoy the ride.