Sign in to follow this  
chammy

New Sound Mod in the making, slowly but surely

I like this sound mod, sounds very realistic. Can't wait for a release, or even another preview video. :)

I loved the kerplunk! Dont change a thing chammy. Sounded like it could have been a larger round whizzing by. 30 mm or something! Different rounds are gonna have diff sonic cracks.

Oh god yes! I still love that original M4 / M16 Sound. Anytime I think of ArmA1, that's what I think of. I can't wait for the release. Keep up the good work!

I wish it includes the following effects: (i can wish, xmas is coming)

- ambient noises : doors creaking in the wind (when in town), cans rattling in the pavement, distant ak snapping...etc

- static radio cracking & hissing, radio traffic like in Generation kill (i hate that "beep" sound in radio)

- wounded soldiers yelling and crying.

- cursing "get that fucka!..." "light ´em up"... , when engaging enemy.

...but I guess the sound addon focuses mainly just weapon sounds...well that was my wish.

- ambient noises : doors creaking in the wind (when in town), cans rattling in the pavement, distant ak snapping...etc

- static radio cracking & hissing, radio traffic like in Generation kill (i hate that "beep" sound in radio)

...but I guess the sound addon focuses mainly just weapon sounds...well that was my wish.

I like mose of those wishes tho lol

Well the soundmod is MODULAR so when someone (or you) make those things - you can add them together with this soundmod.

Good huh.

Yes that would be an entirely separate soundmod pack ... "Arma Battle Ambience" ... would be cool to see that come about :)

Personally, I dont like battle ambience... it sounded fake because it is fake (just ambience not real gun battle). but glad it's modular, so we can mix n match :D

Personally, I dont like battle ambience... it sounded fake because it is fake (just ambience not real gun battle). but glad it's modular, so we can mix n match :D

I'm with you there buddy. I hate in games when there's gunfire but no source.

I would want a big no no to battle ambiance unless it's modular. Hearing distant AK fire in the distance is cool and all but when you realize that no ones actually firing the AK it kinda ruins it.

It sounds very nice. I guess all the sounds we hear are samples right? Some of the sound fx tails suddenly break off during the movie, thats unfortunate.

Do you know if the arma audio enigine has fx capabilties aswell? (reverb, delay, filtering etc...). Haven't seen much info on that.

If BIS can hire Madmatt for his effects, they should definitely hire Chammy for his sounds.

Of course I'm trying to hint to BIS or anything :P

Heh thanks Callsign, not sure if they would, they might be more insulted but then who knows.

It sounds very nice. I guess all the sounds we hear are samples right? Some of the sound fx tails suddenly break off during the movie, thats unfortunate.

Do you know if the arma audio enigine has fx capabilties aswell? (reverb, delay, filtering etc...). Haven't seen much info on that.

Yes, what you saw in the video are not quite finished, most of the echos are cut off cause I was testing them to see how it would sound and fit, I am now finishing the trail offs to a more complete sounding. I mean, to notice that, I guess you were really listening intently ehh to find that out.

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. Yes, there will be a modular thrown in for good measure for ambience, I don't know the whole details yet on how that works. I know that a lot of the sounds in the mod will not be as loud as you are used to like HiFi, VOP or SoW, since they are known to be very loud. The volumes in CSM3 will be loud but not to the point where they are blarring, no need for it. It seems the louder I get volumes up, the more likely the affect I am trying to get at, which is the sound pressure in a sence, the louder the more the effect seems to decrease. Until I find some better sound software or figure out how to modify the sounds better than there will be a break through, in fact Mark was offering help but unfortunately his computer has died and is now trying to get back onto his feet with that.

Edited by Chammy

..testing them to see how it would sound and fit, I am now finishing the trail offs to a more complete sounding. I mean, to notice that, I guess you were really listening intently ehh to find that out.

Well i just heard it. I'm a producer and sound engineer so i always hear those things. :)

..It seems the louder I get volumes up, the more likely the affect I am trying to get at, which is the sound pressure in a sence, the louder the more the effect seems to decrease. Until I find some better sound software or figure out how to modify the sounds better than there will be a break through, in fact Mark was offering help but unfortunately his computer has died and is now trying to get back onto his feet with that.

What do you want to modify? Do some sounds need more eq-ing/filtering/fx etc? I've quite a busy schedule but if you want to i can maybe give some help. I've worked on complete soundmods before, aswell as weapon sounds and ambiences, all for the game Infiltration.

In any case, good luck with it.

Edited by zeep

in fact Mark was offering help but unfortunately his computer has died and is now trying to get back onto his feet with that.

I've spoken with him personally...let's just say he'll be around shortly. ;)

Hope you can get some quality help from Mark when he gets back. That guy works hard in making things as best that they can be. Elaboration between you guys will turn this into the soundmod of the century im sure. :)

Dont stray away from the "Chammyness" though that we are so familiar with. ;)

Alex

Would it be possible to add a bit of extra bass for the player's weapon? The reason I ask is because, with Arma II's default sounds, the player's gunshots blend in too much with others from nearby units and it can ruins the atmosphere.

Indeed :)

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Hey Cash

Good to hear from you again

Yes, it will all be modular according to Protegimus. Right now we are just working on the body of the mod and then later separating everything. I am not going to do too much to vehicles unless I feel they would need to be changed. So far IMHO the AH6, the LAV engine and quite possibly the AH64 rotor sound needs a changing but not sure. I know there is only an addon for the AH64 and AH6 but we can add the sound entry I believe.

As for the bullet crack you are talking about, there will be variations, but I've been checking them to see which ones fit better, and which ones will sound more natural with the game sound engine rather than sounding like something mechanical. The ones in the vid are just tests, actually most the sounds were not cleaned up just yet but you can't really tell, but I do that just to get the feel when seen on a video clip and then I make the judgment call in what stays and needs to be spruced up and what shouldn't stay in.

Thanks Cash and everyone else for your props and ideas :) as before (isn't it "ker-plunk" and not "per-clunk"? lol ;P ), I juggle school , kids , then play so its tough sometimes but ya'll been really patient in that, and it's great that there are other excellent sound modifications that fit our tastes out there to use as well for AmrA .

I think Chammy its ker-plunk, after all that was a great game :)

Cool on the bullet sounds, nice variations. Keep going sir, life gets in the way of all things, but I knew you couldnt ignore something for Arma2 :)

Wow Chammy! sounds awesome, best sounds i have heard yet to date :yay: How much longer are you expecting till it will be released? very excited!

I'm with you there buddy. I hate in games when there's gunfire but no source.

Also agree makes the game feel less Epic when you're actually trying to spot someone. :o

Just letting everyone know that it is still in progress, slowly but surely, still doing test, now I'm working full time and going to school, basic picture of my schedule; 8 am = class, then lunch at 1130 12 noon, then 2pm = work, i don't get off till 11pm or 12am:( . So yeah, im busy and tired, so I will be working on CSM3 on my weekends heh. Thanks for your patience everyone:o. I am looking at maybe 2 weeks tops to completion. I still have to send Protegimus the material to test as well.