Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

learn to read jeeze

round 1 I came 2nd, winning 3 codemasters games, an A3 signed poster, and collector goodies

round 2 I came 5th winning a CPU

Well, I am perfectly capable of reading, and I would love to know where it says on that entry anything about rounds.

Yeah, nuff said... :D

For me calling ArmA2 a "sim" is like calling DR a "sim"...both wrong !

(!!)

You've obviously missed the context of my entire post. Although ARMA II is a GAME, I do classify it as a SIM opposed to a FPS, RPG etc...the point is that DR is a console FPS and a disappointing one at that. CM could not deliver on the Operation Flashpoint name.There are few companies that develop BI type of software. BI developed the original Operation Flashpoint and their experience and evolution shows in ARMA & ARMA II. Personally I don't give a crap or what genre you call it, it's still the best we got in this class of software. I have played a lot of games and I have racked the most hours up with BI software. Bugs, flaws and all. Why? Because they are fun.

I for one am amazed at the work Templargfx has put into DR, it goes without saying the editor is not user friendley for the average joe.

I hate all this Arma vs DR crap, it's pointless CM were within rights to use the name flashpoint, we could argue for days whether they actually should have.

The backlash on many forums probably would not have happened if they had called the game something else, most people who knew the name flashpoint were shoocked at what was offered as DR.

Will CM make DR2, probably, the base work has been done and it's easy to milk extra money and try and make some back on the development costs.

The CM forums are mainly dead except for mission discussion or flaming, the main board seems to be full of missions/closed threads or complaints, nothing of interest for the casual gamer.

All in all without an SDK DR is done already, sure more DLC will be released (in the game files it mentions 5 DLC packs) time will tell if CM stay true and actually support the game that long.

MP is totally dead, I honestly tried to play it but being in Australia I got at best crazy 400/500ms pings P2P is not the future of PC gaming, DR was/is a console port.

Imho BIS should never had sold the name Operation Flashpoint.

They didn't have a choice. There weren't exactly lines of publishers to release Flash Point (back then).

Sold, lost .. whatever .. the point is, it's not there anymore and you see the consequences. Just image Blizzard Interactive losing the name Diablo and someone comes up with Diablo: The Rise of Old Shatterhand.

History of that name is not simple. We are not invented name, it was small US publisher Interactive Magic, who did it, bakrupted and sold project. Also it was our first project and we as small unknow developer must accepted what publishers offered. Things are not as simple as they can look.

I agree to some extent there. Ripping the shit out of the game is one thing and opened mouthed "wtf" at some people clinging on to the notion that DR can be made better is another. But what we are basically doing is standing on the high walls of our castle, ArmA 2, and throwing manure, rubbish, any old crap we can find, the odd chicken, a duck, sheep, and hurling a cow at his trusty manservant "paLL". While shouting "I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries".

I think that's the most British thing I've ever read.

History of that name is not simple. We are not invented name, it was small US publisher Interactive Magic, who did it, bakrupted and sold project. Also it was our first project and we as small unknow developer must accepted what publishers offered. Things are not as simple as they can look.

Ahhhhh...I miss interactive magic and I'm curious about the project they sold and if their vision was similar to yours at BIS, Ohara?

It was our concept but not our name and concept was changed and developed over 5 years before release.

Ah that's sad to hear :( It's hard to find any "true" information about topics like this. Thank you for your clarification, ohara!

I simply wished this name would still belong (or be connected in some kind) to BI :(

Maybe you should've played on the name. Flash OperationPoint or something :P

Or Op3ration Flashpoint: 1337, (like the Xbox version of Operation Flashpoint getitgetit?) :D

We are lucky that the engine that set the base of OFP, VBS, and ArmA was not lost to the asshole in CM, because no matter what they had plan for it, for all we know, they are going to ruin it:D

Anyway, I think name itself isnt that important now, even if BI dont use ArmA, all of us old BI fan should know that they still have another even better name that never get release(guess what it is) ;)

Edited by 4 IN 1

I just want to know, would BIS get Problems if there would be written, "From the real Developer of Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crysis" on the Game? I mena its fully true so im not sure if they could prosecute you for that

@Templar Nice Video, but you show really good what we want you to say. OPF AI isn´t half as dangerous as Arma AI. The only reason you died is because of the chopper, otherwise you would have owned them all by yourself. In Arma the Ai would have started to shoot Grenades at your Position, you wouldn´t have survived that long.

Another Point is that you actually modified the Game at least i understood it that way.

Well if you modify Arma, the AI gets really hardcore. Place a chopper in Arma and some Enemy squads, they won´t last half a Minute without AA Rockets

Edited by Tonci87

Crisis is spelled with an I. Crysis is another game entirely. ;)

Watch the fight at the start (my entire squad gets owned) none of the first bit is scripted. I have taken the town, and the enemy units currently spawned have been given only 1 command, Search And Destroy the location of the town. They steal my chopper! (near the end)

Thats just sick dude, i'm gonna play DR again thats for sure...

I just want to know, would BIS get Problems if there would be written, "From the real Developer of Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crisis" on the Game? I mena its fully true so im not sure if they could prosecute you for that

They wont as long as they point out that operation flashpoint is trademark of Codie, and its the fact that they are the "developer" of it, you would have to be crazy to sue BI for telling the truth

Edited by 4 IN 1

Aw, few more hits to that chopper there, Templar, and you'd have caused it to crash.

Yes, Operation Flashpoint's name was not sold to Codemasters - CM owned it as part of their contractual agreement with BIS when agreeing to publish the game. It's a registered trademark of CM, unfortunately. I do believe that ArmA and Armed Assault are now registered trademarks of BIS. I hope, at least.

Oh, and lol @ the "Give me a fucking break!" and the "I'm not getting paid enough for this shit!" That's exactly what I'd say if I got shot. At least Codemasters got that right... :rolleyes:

Edited by Zipper5

I hate all this Arma vs DR crap, it's pointless CM were within rights to use the name flashpoint, we could argue for days whether they actually should have.

I hate it too. But some of the "old" OFP/ArmA Fans acted like they play the only "true" military game...all others are just crap.

If someone told them "hey i like DR, its fun" they called him a "arcade noob" or something.

All people that bought DR got fooled by CM because if they would know something they would play the only "true" game...ArmA2 !

That looked pretty snotty to me.

Are we talking about pc games or about saving the world ?

Just a few examples from this thread:

I sayed that i like the DR AI

Thats one sick experience huh...

Response on Templar's video

Thats just sick dude, i'm gonna play DR again thats for sure...
Edited by Wiggum

I must be tired. I thought you were complaining about people complaining about how people like DR then linked two quotes of someone saying that it looks good.... Think I needs some sleeps

The old GR, the old R6, PR mod for Battlefield game, RO, and a lot others, there are a lots of very good mil sim/ tactial shooter that we liked(and which DR is not one of them), sad thing is, just like DR, some of them have been dumped down.

I will say one thing about this (flame retardant suit on). At least pro DR people are welcomed and able to talk about DR of this forum (Templar and Wiggum up there) and personally I welcome them. One thing that turned a lot of people off to DR, including some people that had no idea about the difference between the two games, was that they get almost insta banned on the CM forums for mentioning arma2. Sorry but that doesn't exactly show the kind of spirit I hope for in a community based gaming experience (i.e. encouraging players to join and play mp). I happen to know a guy who I work with who thought DR was great (had it for a console) but he posted about arma2 on the CM forums and was banned after 1 post. He never said it was better but the mere mention of it got him banned. Obviously I am not in a position to petition CM about this but I would recommend that he does because it seems ridiculous. just my 2 cents.

At least pro DR people are welcomed and able to talk about DR of this forum (Templar and Wiggum up there)

I would hardly say I am welcome, just look at the number of insults directly at me in this thread LOL

Aw, few more hits to that chopper there, Templar, and you'd have caused it to crash.

Yeah I stopped that crap from happening in my mission, you actually have to shoot vital parts now. I was actually trying to shoot he pilots through the windows when it was facing me :p

Yes, Operation Flashpoint's name was not sold to Codemasters - CM owned it as part of their contractual agreement with BIS when agreeing to publish the game. It's a registered trademark of CM, unfortunately. I do believe that ArmA and Armed Assault are now registered trademarks of BIS. I hope, at least.

I thought CM came up with the name, and that was why they got to keep it

I just want to know, would BIS get Problems if there would be written, "From the real Developer of Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crysis" on the Game? I mena its fully true so im not sure if they could prosecute you for that

Doesnt it say that on the ArmA box? or something very similar

@Templar Nice Video, but you show really good what we want you to say. OPF AI isn´t half as dangerous as Arma AI. The only reason you died is because of the chopper, otherwise you would have owned them all by yourself. In Arma the Ai would have started to shoot Grenades at your Position, you wouldn´t have survived that long.

Another Point is that you actually modified the Game at least i understood it that way.

Well if you modify Arma, the AI gets really hardcore. Place a chopper in Arma and some Enemy squads, they won´t last half a Minute without AA Rockets

There were about 30 guys attacking the village there, so I would not have survived even if the gunship hadnt come!

the chopper you see in the video has purposefully not got a front gunner in it because the dam thing kills you all the time. I took him out so only pilot has rockets to make it slightly more likely you wont die :)

I just wish patch2 would come out already so that I can put my ultimate AI mod into my mission and get the accuracy of the AI back out of console world