Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Maybe it is more easy in ArmA2 to create a similar mission like the one from templargfx for DR but that means nothing !

His mission is the best one for DR, is free for PC users (who cares about those console guys ??). It makes lot of fun and was surly lot of work for him.

He did a better AI Mod, a command menu fix and some other missions ect. all for the DR community...and all for free !

You know what, i would say his "ISLAND WAR - FREE ROAM" is more fun then many ArmA2 SP missions.

If you need someone to blame, then it should be Codemasters not TemplarGFX !

You're right, things are much easily and painlessly done in A2 than DR. For free argument can't hold any weight around here as many BIS community members have been doing things for free for almost a decade now.

And yes, these kinds of missions are probably more fun in any game than non-randomized content.

Maybe it is more easy in ArmA2 to create a similar mission like the one from templargfx for DR but that means nothing !

His mission is the best one for DR, is free for PC users (who cares about those console guys ??). It makes lot of fun and was surly lot of work for him.

He did a better AI Mod, a command menu fix and some other missions ect. all for the DR community...and all for free !

You know what, i would say his "ISLAND WAR - FREE ROAM" is more fun then many ArmA2 SP missions.

If you need someone to blame, then it should be Codemasters not TemplarGFX !

the point being, he spent hours upon hours upon hours to come up with can be done in Arma2 editor in less than 30 min. If you spent as much time in the A2 editor as he obviously has in the DR editor, you're talking a huge mission mode in A2. Half the stuff he put in the requirements are already built into the modules, all you have to do is some minor tweaks to the init file and it's done. no big scripts, no AI balancing acts, no spawning / despawning tricks.

Then to try and sell it? The reason he probably can, is because they are starved for any crumb that comes out.

Yes, I'd agree with you there, but the difference with ArmA II is that all this complex scripting is accomplished by putting down a few modules some small settings, then away you go. One of the most beautiful things that BIS made for ArmA II.

Ok, but why attack him ?

He wrote that he will not take money for it, maybe CM will do so and if the console guys pay for it, who cares ?

And, if you agree that the DR editor i such a hardcore thing, i would say if he takes some money from CM or the sad bunch of consoleros...who cares (again) ?

Here ya go.

Taxi service - check - can take you to any place

Air support for help - check - not limited to AH1

Controlling random enemy spawns - check - all three airstrips are no-go for ACM spawns

Multiple starting areas - check - 3 starting areas on the airstrips, ammo boxes and two vehicles follow you wherever you spawn

Randomly generated objectives - check - multiple types of objectives, not just C&H

Randomly spawning enemies that do random stuff - check

Randomly spawning vehicles - check

Reinforcements coming to aid you - check - random

Additional features present, just because they're already included in the modules anyways:

Civvies and Civvie vehicles

Arty support

Supply drops

UAV

Everything done in editor, 0 custom scripts.

Have fun. Anyone wants to pay me for that? :p

try again, I ran it a few times, there were enemies in the stupidest locations at times (and at times in great locations) I seemed to find more vehicles in the forest than I did anywhere else.

Controlling random enemy spawns - check - all three airstrips are no-go for ACM spawns
I think you mis understood what I mean, when you start in my mission, as you move around clearing areas of enemies, noone will spawn in places you have already cleared, up to about 3km around the players location (when on foot). no its not just a circle, to get the idea, imagine using a thick paintbrush that follows the players movements on the map, if the paint is more than 3km away from the player it dissapears. anywhere painted is "no spawn zone"
Reinforcements coming to aid you - check - random

reinforcements that help the enemy not you.

Im sorry but that was crap (dont take offense you spent what 15 minutes doing that?).

If you havent played my mission, dont bother trying to recreate it in ARMA2

-------

where ARE you people getting this "im doing it for money" thing? honestly where is this coming from?

I find DR more FUN than ARMA2, so who cares if its easier in this game, I like DR more. but of course, instead of all of you just accepting that I (and many others) like DR, you feel you need to SMEAR ARMA2 facts and videos and links and posts all in our faces at every chance you get. me especially

Edited by templargfx

I would say that I care because that gives them funds to come out with the sequel to Dragon Rising, which will probably make them even more money due to how well they manage to mislead customers, and then allow them to repeat the cycle, all in all establishing the Operation Flashpoint name as one of the worst gaming franchises in existence, when it started out as a classic and a first of it's kind. And no, in no way is that Dragon Rising.

I haven't played your mission, Templar, because I uninstalled DR a long time ago, and am not planning on reinstalling it at all.

Why do the reinforcements help the enemy? Even so, I believe ACM already does that. It'll do it for both your side, and the enemy. In fact, all sides that you tell it to. Units won't spawn in areas that you've already cleared, but like they would in real life, they may move back to it. But you'll be very hard pressed to find themselves in the same location you did the last time.

What's wrong with them being in the forest? I've never seen ACM put vehicles in the forest, but I have seen it put units. When there are forests, do you not patrol them?

Edited by Zipper5

sniper, just kill the spawning, just drop in real AI with a placement radius. Also Templar, in real-warfare, the enemy can retake towns you've already cleared btw. If it's a true free roam, the enemy can come from behind, not like the current corridor shooter you have there, where the enemy is straight in front of you. So you would have to leave some of your precious AI behind to hold the towns. Why force A2 editors to adapt to the limitations of DR? Also, it took him 30 min with no tuning.

Yeah just running around the island shooting people in different areas, i fail to see how "special" that is. It's like a really poor mans version of Domination :p

I think his point is to spawn a random convoy of tanks, APC and troops reforcement, which we all know its not needed when the engine itself can handle the number of unit if you place them on map, but I dont know how to do that in warfare without preplacing them, random spawning of a group of functioning convoy would be difficult to script in A2 I think

Edit: Response to Wiggums comment on attacks

Because a forum is for facts, opinion and ideas. If you have facts that are not facts, they get discussed and cleared up. If you have opinions (that are treated as fact) going against anothers opinion, you have a discussion -possibly heated, until both realize it's an opinion they are each free to share and disagree with. Ideas are easily the best thing, just not tied with a judgement like you are the sole arbiter of it's worthyness.

Not attack.

Edited by Scrub

I played it and it makes OpfDr more arcade then before.

Thats no real mission, its just free roam with enemies. Enemies will spawn back to already taken areas after you got out of the zone.

This mission is something rambo like arcade stuff where you can take a whole island with a few people.

There are much better missions for dr, not such stuff which make the game more arcady.

But with such missions the game still is still that shitty console port we know. And it will not be better over time.

I think 1.2 will be the last patch or maybe one more will come.

Than it would be similar to ALL other cm products they brought till today.

Luhgnut;1534591']sniper' date=' just kill the spawning, just drop in real AI with a placement radius.[/quote']

I do not plan on wasting time on proving someone else random things and additional criteria set after the start of the exercise. When asked what his mission contains he listed a criteria for the mission he wants to see in less than 48 hours, that would match the functionality of his mission. I had time to waste and the mission matched the original criteria which I assumed was contained in his mission.

There was no criteria of mission not being crap (and it is, I agree here with him), or any other additional clarified criteria, since i'm sure if we switched places, I could say the same to dismiss any given work made in DR by anyone, because I do not enjoy the game as others do. But to be fair game, if I said make me a mission in DR that has you destroy a tank in 48 hours, any mission where you destroy a tank, even if it takes 5 seconds, would match that criteria and it would accomplish the task given, even if everyone considered it crap.

I'm sure all of us here could pull a Vilas and go about raving how vehicles can't spawn in the woods in DR since woods are indestructible and how nobody can replicate Nogville style missions because there are no civilians, etc, etc.

I would say that I care because that gives them funds to come out with the sequel to Dragon Rising, which will probably make them even more money due to how well they manage to mislead customers, and then allow them to repeat the cycle, all in all establishing the Operation Flashpoint name as one of the worst gaming franchises in existence, when it started out as a classic and a first of it's kind. And no, in no way is that Dragon Rising...

Hi all

Zipper5 IMHO while I think passing on the experience that CM are releasing shoddy products is laudable, and I in fact warned people that IMHO indications in the project aims and choice of engine lead me to think that was going to be the case early on in the DR debacle; I do not think you should worry about too many people continuing to be fooled by marketing hype.

There are always that percentage that can be fooled all the time and there is nothing you can do for them, CM could not survive on those low numbers who can be fooled alll the time. As to large scale releases the rot has set in at CM, the reduction in staffing levels and the number of key senior personnel leaving the sinking ship are clear indications of that.

Signs are that CM lost a serious amount of money with the DR project; worse still for CM is the damage they have done to the core CM brand. Releasing shoddy products as they have has got them that image of whoring their brands; when you whore the sub brands the core brand inevitably catches the marketing equivalent of AIDS.

Sadly there will be spill over into the reputations of any media silly enough to have fallen for the hype. I think many journalists who had their fingers burnt with DR, will be wary of similar hyped products in the future. Interestingly many journalists are now considering ArmA for Goty status.

When you put DR in with the other failures at CM it is I think I am correct in saying the 4th serious failed release of one of CM's titles, then the writing is on the wall.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I do not plan on wasting time on proving someone else random things and additional criteria set after the start of the exercise. When asked what his mission contains he listed a criteria for the mission he wants to see in less than 48 hours, that would match the functionality of his mission. I had time to waste and the mission matched the original criteria which I assumed was contained in his mission.

guess that about sums it up. I was going to attempt it in under 5 min, but by then thinking about it, it would take longer than 5 min, to dumb down Arma2 to work within the parameters. It's easier in A2 to make larger scale warfare with thinking AI than to dork around with triggers to just spawn AI as you tripped them....although necessary in DR, it's a pain to do in A2 and totally unnecessary (unless you have to run it on a really crippled machine.)

All the triggers and fancy coding to do what is assumed and done better in Arma/Arma2 (and OFP as well) for DR to give you the feeling of a simulation. Again, this is just proof of the utter failure of CM to deliver to the standards of it's namesake.

If it didn't say "Operation Flashpoint" the game would have launched into the mediocre sales bin instantly (actually it did launch like a lead balloon, but it wouldn't have received any attention what-so-ever). What I'm also confused by is people still try and compare DR to A2/A1 they are so far removed from each other as can be. Like comparing HalfLife 2 to QuakeWars.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

... instead of all of you just accepting that I (and many others) like DR, you feel you need to SMEAR ARMA2 facts and videos and links and posts all in our faces at every chance you get. me especially

OK. I for one am very very very very sorry. CM brought this on themselves and any who stand by them in supporting the basterdised mash up of a great title. If you are, as you have claimed in the past, a long time player of OFP: Cold War Crisis/Resistance and ArmA, then this is something you would understand all too well.

I own and have played to death :

Operation Flashpoint : Cold War Crysis

ArmA : Armed Assault

Uh... Crisis is spelled with an I, Crysis is another game entirely.

Sorry, you say you love them and play them to death? :D

If you like DR despite it's issues, just like we like ArmA II despite it's, then fine. However, you know that CM treated the franchise with utter disrespect and pissed off a lot of people. I would ask that you don't play into their hand a second time around. Events like that are what lead to the gaming industry being what it is today. If they were to make a sequel to DR, and actually treat it with respect, and actually make something that could possibly rival BIS' achievements, then that'd be great. It'd actually do the OFP name justice. However, DR does not, and I find it very improbable that CM will even make a sequel, let alone one that significantly improved.

Templar, it should be no surprise to you that there is some hostility towards your posts.

- You came into this thread after trying Arma2 demo and somewhat raved about it.

- Within maybe a day, you bought the game and did nothing but bash it as stupid, all the while proclaiming that DR's AI is "fantastic".

- You qualified your seeming inability to understand Arma2's control by stating that your a long time Ofp/Arma player.

- You went back to DR's forums stating that "you've played Arma2 and it's a POS"

Seems a little shady, don't it?

It's the equivalent of someone from this forum, buying DR for the sole purpose of stating "I own it, played it, it sucks", with zero intention of actually trying to get into the game.

I bought DR, found many flaws but still post the strengths that I see (read Second's post) and have never gone to CM's site to "trash it".

I compliment you on your striving to create interesting missions for DR's rather extreme limitations, but at the end of the day, spawning missions that can't simulate real life tactical situations nor interesting briefings/intel, probably won't interest too many around here.

Edited by froggyluv

He never played those titles, i remember that he got problems to get his squad inside a vehicle...

That problem he wouldnt have if he played the old OPf1 or Arma1. Hes a litle baggart, nothing more.

Hes just a little lieing cm fanboy, or you trust him when he said he played those games to death and in a other thread he asks how to let ppl get into vehicles as squadleader?

If he like his arcade FPS with the limited editor then its ok, but be aware he didnt know anything about arma!

But with such missions the game still is still that shitty console port we know. And it will not be better over time.

I agree, it's a shitty console port of a shitty arcade console shooter build on a driving engine and nothing can change that!

They can patch all they want but this turd will always stink.

Ok, but why attack him ?

He wrote that he will not take money for it, maybe CM will do so and if the console guys pay for it, who cares ?

And, if you agree that the DR editor i such a hardcore thing, i would say if he takes some money from CM or the sad bunch of consoleros...who cares (again) ?

So CM should be paid for work they didnt do, for consoles DR shouldnt have been made for? (at least not from the start, and most definitely not to be developed crossplatform).

But mostly, CM being paid for work that isnt theirs? Just so the console guys can get a small glimpse of the scale it was supposed to be?

Even after all that CM did wrong or didnt do at all?

Is it just me, or do you have to be a complete idiot to agree with such practises?

And no, i cant feel sorry for the guys that got DR.

I saw this coming right from the moment it was announced and i was told it wasnt made by Bohemia. And no, that isnt fanboyism.

That is experience talking to me right there, because when another developer takes over a franchise, nothing ever good comes from it.

Never.

If you let yourselves be deceived then shame on you. The DR community has no right to a OPF sequel, they werent even there right at the beginning.

We were.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

First of all: I had to really really LOL hard when Sniperwolf came up with his mission after that short Time :rthumb:

@Templar Others here have already explained your situation in this Forum so I won´t do it. I know that you would like to work for CM officially and payed, buts thats your Thing and I can´t blame you for that. Maybe you put so many Time and Energy in this Game because of that

@BIS and the community I´m so glad that I´m part of this wonderfull community and that BIS is not so into Moneymaking and robbing people like other Developers.

P.S.: I like this Guy^^

Quote by kaidon

Let me just elaborate on my previous posts. I have just tried and I mean TRIED to play a match. I haven’t played for some time because of how bad this game really is. I have just DL the 2nd patch. Like some have said it did absolutely **** all except take up more memory on my HD and **** me off even more.

I was hoping that this main issue for me had been fixed, but guess what, same old same old

My rank is STILL NOT WORKING

Within the first 10 minutes of playing annihilation some guy come running at me, so I put about 7 shots in to he’s chest. GUESS ****ING WHAT. He comes running at me like he’s ****ing superman to slash me up for the kill. BS cm ****in BS

I am sick to death of you ****in lazy arse developers getting away with this ****. I have bought too many games now that are in such as poor state like this sorry arse game and as long as i come on your forums and tell you how it is it makes me feel that little bit better.

I seriously want my money back you fraudulent money grabbing *******s. You only have to look at how many people are playing this game to see how much of a ****in failure it is.

Suck my massive **** cm ( **** munchers )

You dont want to sort the problems that have been reported since the first day, you dont want to respond to my very polite and several emails. ****in Fine BRING IT.

delete away. i will use proxy server and tracs your ****in site and get my moneys worth. Send me inprofessional emails telling me that you with forward spam bots. MAKE MY ****IN DAY.

**** YOU **** MUNCHERS

That is one of the best rants, well..ever.

Also I can knock up a mission like templars without even going into the editor. I shall name it Awesomesauce.

Is it just me, or do you have to be a complete idiot to agree with such practises?

:D

I dont agree with such practises...but i dont care about the console guys or if Templar will make some money with his work.

I bought DR, i like it but it has major flaws (like ArmA2 but thats another topic).

I will never pay for a "DLC" for sure and if CM dosent fix the major flaws of DR with the next patch i maybe go and sell this game to some poor boy.

But come on, ArmA2 is just OFP with better graphics...they sell us the same game 3 times. The limitations of the engine are the same, the terrible command menu is the same and i think the demage model is the same. AI is to stupid to take positions in buildings...

Dont get me wrong, i love ArmA2 and the community is great !

But you know what i mean i hope. ;)

He never played those titles, i remember that he got problems to get his squad inside a vehicle...

That problem he wouldnt have if he played the old OPf1 or Arma1. Hes a litle baggart, nothing more.

Hes just a little lieing cm fanboy, or you trust him when he said he played those games to death and in a other thread he asks how to let ppl get into vehicles as squadleader?

If he like his arcade FPS with the limited editor then its ok, but be aware he didnt know anything about arma!

if your going to bash someone, at least bash them about something that happened

It was ACTUALLY getting people out of a truck, while inside. of which a whole heap of people posted that what I was doing was not possible and I'm a *insert generic templar insult here* (heavily simplified the argument here)

so I made this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJxRkl1PTA

you know why I left last time, I posted my reason : ARMA2 fanboys insisting the problem is with me, and NEVER with there precious game.

Edited by templargfx

So, how's the view from up there on the cross, Templar ? Commend your dedication to the game (so much as wanting to give CM revenue based off your work, even if they did help you out a bit), though. But the game's disappointing, my attempts to make nifty missions always die when I hit the entity limit then have to play stupid spawn games - can't really get an organic battlefield that way.

Edited by Ulysses