Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

Maybe, first of all, someone should tell TemplarGFX that there are no $ in the EU.

Should be common sense.

the proof is in the pudding they say

youve been given a link to a mission that was released nearly 5 months ago which incorporates pretty much everything you said, and more.

I find it funny that you all think I (and others from the DR forums) dont read this thread...

...and?

As mentioned before, there's still a lot of anger at CM for the use of the Op Flashpoint name, and since you seem to be CM's new poster boy for DR, it's reasonable, I think, to expect a bit of flak. It's nothing personal...well, not much anyway :p

As for being able to knock up a mission like yours with the editor for A2. Maybe "5 minutes" is a slight exaggeration, but it's certainly true that it would be easier, simpler and no where near as much hassle to make such a mission. There are several user created efforts already out there at the moment that do this, so, for that reason alone, I can't see many people being bothered to take you up on your challenge. Also, to my mind anyway, why prove something that you have no doubt what so ever about. Another thing, maybe if you were respected a little more, (I know - this is not something that will bother you in the slightest) here the challenge might actually mean something. But for someone who can't even take flak on Youtube, (the internet flamers paradise), for a video that may well prove the point you were making with it, but also proves our point about DR's woeful AI even better, then I can't see many folks being bothered about your challenge.

Lots of you say you could make a better mission in ARMA2 in 5 minutes that the current version of Island War for DR. Proove it. I'll give you 48 hours to post a downloadable map for ARMA2 with all the same features. thats a hell of alot more than 5 minutes

dude, they are already made, they are posted on armaholic FOR FREE.

Really, do some homework before posting such nonsense.

Or better yet, why don't you create a domination map, or a warfare map in DR. With say half the features of either of these map modes. You have, oh.... say..... 3 years to create it.

I guess that isn't fair because you can't.

Maybe I should repost your old comments from Youtube where (before you drank the CM Kool-Aide) you bash the DR AI. The same AI you now praise. You can go back and delete them, because I have them archived.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

heres a quick rundown :

Taxi Service to take you back to base

AH-1 Gunship that can be called to aide your assault

controlling areas of the map so the enemy cant spawn in this "area of influence"

multiple starting areas with all the weapons and vehicles

randomly generated capture and hold objectives

reinforcements coming from surrounding towns

randomly spawning enemies that defend, patrol or search

randomly spawning vehicles

note : spawning is random but "intelligent", people dont spawn in places that make no sense to see people (out in an open field in the middle of no where for example)

I could make a completely random system in about 5 minutes (a real estimate) but it would not be "intelligent"

Here ya go.

Taxi service - check - can take you to any place

Air support for help - check - not limited to AH1

Controlling random enemy spawns - check - all three airstrips are no-go for ACM spawns

Multiple starting areas - check - 3 starting areas on the airstrips, ammo boxes and two vehicles follow you wherever you spawn

Randomly generated objectives - check - multiple types of objectives, not just C&H

Randomly spawning enemies that do random stuff - check

Randomly spawning vehicles - check

Reinforcements coming to aid you - check - random

Additional features present, just because they're already included in the modules anyways:

Civvies and Civvie vehicles

Arty support

Supply drops

UAV

Everything done in editor, 0 custom scripts.

Have fun. Anyone wants to pay me for that? :p

By the time I had found that mission, I had already imported the Manhattan base from the Harvest Red campaign, placed all the player's unit, placed and scripted the AH-1Z for combat and MH-60S for transport, placed all the modules, done some tweaking of the settings and listed the base as a blacklisted area to stop things from spawning there. Essentially, if I didn't want to fine tune it, the mission is already complete bar a briefing. ;)

Edit: Damnit, SniperWolf. :( Well, as I said, it doesn't take that long.

...placed and scripted the AH-1Z for combat and MH-60S for transport...

You don't even need to do that manually, SecOps module already has that included, with variety.

True, but sometimes, it can screw up. I like to prevent stuff like that. Still, you have a point.

As mentioned before, there's still a lot of anger at CM for the use of the Op Flashpoint name, and since you seem to be CM's new poster boy for DR, it's reasonable, I think, to expect a bit of flak. It's nothing personal...well, not much anyway

and so you feel the DR community should be ones to suffer the brunt of your anger? cos thats where it goes

As for being able to knock up a mission like yours with the editor for A2. Maybe "5 minutes" is a slight exaggeration, but it's certainly true that it would be easier, simpler and no where near as much hassle to make such a mission. There are several user created efforts already out there at the moment that do this, so, for that reason alone, I can't see many people being bothered to take you up on your challenge. Also, to my mind anyway, why prove something that you have no doubt what so ever about

The only "proof" Im looking for is that you can make it in 5 minutes like several people have claimed both here and int he DR forums. we all know it CAN be done already

dude, they are already made, they are posted on armaholic FOR FREE.

Really, do some homework before posting such nonsense.

while there are similar missions, there isn't any single mission with the same features, plus theres no information on how long they took to make, thereby making them useless in this case

Maybe I should repost your old comments from Youtube where (before you drank the CM Kool-Aide) you bash the DR AI. The same AI you now praise. You can go back and delete them, because I have them archived.

Post away

True, but sometimes, it can screw up. I like to prevent stuff like that. Still, you have a point.

Well the excercise was proof that it's possible to do by anyone in a very short time. We all know what kinds of things and levels of detail are possible in A2 when you're not in a hurry.

Anyways, I just spotted a thing that I'm probably gonna get called out at, SecOps objective (and only objective related stuff) spawn distances are at the default values so they'll spawn fairly close to the player, probably including in the no-go zones. Can be fixed by modifying default values as instructed here, which is a 10 second fix which I can't be bothered to do right now.

Well, Templar, when that community is willing to pay CM $10 more for your mission, despite complaining about them charging for that abysmal DLC, then yes, I would say that's just grounds. It's hardly the kind of community that should be behind an Operation Flashpoint title. Then again, the only one that exists is this one. ;)

Sorry Sniperwolf, but you didnt state it unless i missed it, how long did it take to make? :)

It took me around 20 to 30 minutes to get up to where I was, and that's with starting to fine tune it. SniperWolf's probably took him significantly less. Both show just how simple it really is.

It took me around 20 to 30 minutes to get up to where I was, and that's with starting to fine tune it. SniperWolf's probably took him significantly less. Both show just how simple it really is.

Yeah, bit less than that I reckon, I didn't pay attention really since I think Templar wanted it done in 48 hours or something.

Maybe it is more easy in ArmA2 to create a similar mission like the one from templargfx for DR but that means nothing !

His mission is the best one for DR, is free for PC users (who cares about those console guys ??). It makes lot of fun and was surly lot of work for him.

He did a better AI Mod, a command menu fix and some other missions ect. all for the DR community...and all for free !

You know what, i would say his "ISLAND WAR - FREE ROAM" is more fun then many ArmA2 SP missions.

If you need someone to blame, then it should be Codemasters not TemplarGFX !

Yeah, I'd agree that it's the best. But the competition isn't exactly huge, is it? :rolleyes:

Well, the AI mod was more of a hack than anything. Something which CM then also turned around and spat in his face by disabling all mods. I'm very surprised after that incident that he's working so closely with them.

We blame Codemasters for abusing the Operation Flashpoint name and it's community that naturally follows such promises, and we blame Templar for trying his best to keep it alive, when frankly, it deserves much less. Even the original fans of the game have turned on it, the most significant, of course, being Sir_Polaris. The Heroes have even disbanded.

Just thinking, what's with all the spawning? If the combat is less than two or three hundred units (most computers can handle that)- Just put them in with a large placement radius, lower the probability of presence, with a guard or sentry waypoint, tweak with triggers and sync's. Then you can gather intel, plan, attack and hold against the coming reinforcements with a realistic outlook. Use SniperWolf's idea on the secops, and add the artillery units. Now you have real assets, targets, and areas to play with. No heavy scripting required.

Maybe it is more easy in ArmA2 to create a similar mission like the one from templargfx for DR but that means nothing !

His mission is the best one for DR, is free for PC users (who cares about those console guys ??). It makes lot of fun and was surly lot of work for him.

He did a better AI Mod, a command menu fix and some other missions ect. all for the DR community...and all for free !

You know what, i would say his "ISLAND WAR - FREE ROAM" is more fun then many ArmA2 SP missions.

If you need someone to blame, then it should be Codemasters not TemplarGFX !

not that I am saying Island War is bad, but you just have no idea how good those custom made SP mission in Arma 2 is, oh and before you say COOP in DR is kick ass, I have already played COOP back in OFP days and there is NO WAY DR can match that, A2 is no different, its just that too many people playing dom and evo and too many run'n gun idiot playing on public server, which is just wrong:j:

Just thinking, what's with all the spawning? If the combat is less than two or three hundred units (most computers can handle that)- Just put them in with a large placement radius, lower the probability of presence, with a guard or sentry waypoint, tweak with triggers and sync's. Then you can gather intel, plan, attack and hold against the coming reinforcements with a realistic outlook. Use SniperWolf's idea on the secops, and add the artillery units. Now you have real assets, targets, and areas to play with. No heavy scripting required.

You still have to fine tune everything with scripts, its just that with modules(which is basicly a set of preset scripts) the time taken to creat the work is little compare to DR.

there are no games in this world could be made without scripts, its just that some of them are simply overscripted, just like COD

Edited by 4 IN 1

[...]and we blame Templar for trying his best to keep it alive[...]

You blame him for WHAT ??

Many people buyed this game (you too eh) and are sure glad that Templar makes missions and mods for it.

Yes, I'd agree with you there, but the difference with ArmA II is that all this complex scripting is accomplished by putting down a few modules some small settings, then away you go. One of the most beautiful things that BIS made for ArmA II.

Edit:

Many people buyed this game (you too eh)

Nope, you are mistaken there. My friend gave it to me after he absolutely hated it, and I was willing to take it off his hands just to compare it. I, myself, have left it in the closet to gather dust and taken it off my HDD.