Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I wonder how this title has panned out for Codemasters, I have not searched for sale figures, but from all the info I read I wonder how they react behind the scene.

There is no way that they can pass it off as a successful product, and I almost assume that they know themselves that it is not what they either hoped it to be or marketed it to be as a finished product, and I find the officials to be strangely absent, at least some communication via Helios should be made. A cruel way to treat paying costumers indeed.

I have never seen a game die as fast as this.

The game was at least good for something as I got ARMA II and are back frequenting these forums.

dear friend.... do i have to BUY it to check that:

- trees are immortal

- no modding and addons

- no safety in MP

- only 63 AI + player

- only 3 soldiers to command in team

- AI is dumb and "hardcore mod" fix it only ?

do i have to waste my money if have a lot of movies in Youtube ?

no, cause i can see it from many people

and why we don't like ?

cause someone said it will be sequel to OFP, cause someone said that it is large , never seen before, mil-sim ... etc.

who was that someone ? PR of CM :)

and it also works other way:

why those who call Arma bad an buggy - say DR is mil-sim ? :)

ArmA is bad and buggy in my opinion (long live original OFP!) but on the other hand I would not consider DR milsim at all. I'm not against not wanting it because of bad opinions, its having a bad opinion when you've never actually tried it that bugs me. Maybe its just me.

Why, with such a negative backlash in regards to DR, would you even expect someone to try it before disliking it? That's just wasting money. Anyone can tell from the general consensus around the internet that DR is a bad game. Sure, there's the whole "try it out yourself and see if you enjoy it", but paying full price for such a game and disliking it leaves you less wealthy by about $40. Complete waste of money.

ArmA is bad and buggy in my opinion (long live original OFP!) but on the other hand I would not consider DR milsim at all. I'm not against not wanting it because of bad opinions, its having a bad opinion when you've never actually tried it that bugs me. Maybe its just me.

Most of those who dislike DR in this thread have already wasted their money on it including me!

The DR forums now have the feeling of the aftermath of "The New-Years Party of the Century!" -gone bust, with only a few stragglers hanging about, gaining some comfort in ripping the supposed non-event in cathartic pain.

@GRS - only thing CM wants is our money, so "buy and try" would be stupid, cause after "this is not sequel" noone wouldn't return me money

i won't let them earn on by lies: "sequel to OFP" "military realism never seen before in any other game"

Why, with such a negative backlash in regards to DR, would you even expect someone to try it before disliking it? That's just wasting money. Anyone can tell from the general consensus around the internet that DR is a bad game. Sure, there's the whole "try it out yourself and see if you enjoy it", but paying full price for such a game and disliking it leaves you less wealthy by about $40. Complete waste of money.

How can you decide you don't like something if you've never done it? You can always not buy it because of the others opinions but to formulate your own based solely on those of others is stupid. If you want other people to tell you what your opinion is that's fine by me but I'd rather save my money or see for myself before judging something.

How can you decide you don't like something if you've never done it? You can always not buy it because of the others opinions but to formulate your own based solely on those of others is stupid. If you want other people to tell you what your opinion is that's fine by me but I'd rather save my money or see for myself before judging something.
Hmm what is consumer reports for? If they say ( consumer reports) X product is the sux, dont waste your money, But you see the videos/commercials and go " oohh so cool" " must buy it" But then hear from your friends that it is the sux, and dont buy it. I or you are stupid for not spending the money to test our selves? Who the F do you work for? CM PR department.... Of course you should listen to reviews and friends, and youtube vids to make a informed decision on buying a game...

DOnt buy this game.

If this thread gets to 200 pages, 200^200 kittens will die, please lets let it sink now. We ripped it off pre-release and had our fun, we've ripped it off post release. Yes its all come to a point, with CM licking they're wounds and BIS with the cigars looking like heroes of the PC-sim community.

Maybe we should just let it be now?

Of course you should listen to reviews and friends, and youtube vids to make a informed decision on buying a game...

I wouldn't even trust reviews, as especially early on, the reviews copied CM' PR statements pretty much 1:1, and it seems likely that they didn't even play it before rehashing whatever CM wanted people to believe, thereby probably ensuring their access-pass to the next CM press event.

Either they are lazy, or they got some sort of incentive to write a positive review. Both discredits a lot of sites and magazines, both well known and lesser well known, as pure ad-revenue whores that can't be trusted at all.

It's all part of polishing the turd into what at first glance appears to be a diamond, to get people on the point of "seeing what it's like", at which point they will have achieved their goals, and couldn't care less about their customers until the point where they have a new product that people need to be convinced to "see what it's like". And people fall for it again and again no matter how many times they got ripped-off before. All by dumping vast loads of money into marketing. Instead, they could use that same money to just make good games, but that takes longer.

Edited by JdB

If this thread gets to 200 pages, 200^200 kittens will die, please lets let it sink now. We ripped it off pre-release and had our fun, we've ripped it off post release. Yes its all come to a point, with CM licking they're wounds and BIS with the cigars looking like heroes of the PC-sim community.

No way!

We are so close to have the funeral discussion.

CM has indirectly helped the marketing for ARMA II. I was caught up in the idea of another developer making "military sim". I like alternatives for the fresh approach and I will say that CM did a masterful job on their marketing. I bought it and absolutely disappointed. It's another shooter for the console. Gameworld feels fake and the vehicle physics are a joke. Ski jump off of hills anyone....LOL. I always discern on professional reviews and prefer to read what the purchasers has to say. I should've waited before I bought the PC version. $40 bucks I'll never get back. BIS has years of experience in this type of software and there hasn't been any other developer to match it. Reminds me of the time when Looking Glass was the first and best in class of the First Person Sneaker. Thief I & II were developed by Looking Glass and published by someone else. The third iteration sold well because of the fanbase, but it wasn't a Looking Glass product. Thief 3 was sub par, like OPDR. The difference here is, CM marketed off the name and were succussful in this regard. Lesson learned here, always learn who the developer is and wait for a demo or real people's reviews. Bugs and all, BIS software rocks!

CM has indirectly helped the marketing for ARMA II.

hehehehe and turned me to somekind of half-fanboy

what BIS couldn't do by years, CM did in 5 minutes :D

Here kitty... :D Keep it going and lets get those cats.

I hope this thread lasts for a few more weeks, then we can say that even a discussion of DR on the ArmA 2 forums lasted longer than OPF:DR. I love how its gone from reviews, to "considered" criticism, to the analysis of what Cm did wrong, to outright knocking, to mocking, to, yes a little gloating, the to incredulous disbelief that it really is as bad we'd hoped it would be, to the lulz @ teh 1337 world falling out of their 455's on the CM forums, and to now - marvel at the smoke of CM's PR machine as it burns in the distance.

Long live the "DR has been released thread" and god bless all who post in her.

Seems like there's several guys a day over on the CM forum giving up on DR and asking about Arma 2.

Things must be bad over there, because it's rare that someone jumps in and says 'buggy, unoptimised, DR FTW...'. Plenty of people giving them good info about Arma, too.

Looks like CM might have done BIS a favour in the long run.

My favourite recent post: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5846074&postcount=75

- and for the benefit of those who are banned: "I give it a 35% final."

Who is behind these words of judgement?

Sir Polaris.

Man, he's even turned on them. But his points are incorrect. The AI is not good, it's stupid. He says the only saving grace is the AI? Well they are dumb as rocks. So that's not much saving grace.

I wouldn't even trust reviews, as especially early on, the reviews copied CM' PR statements pretty much 1:1, and it seems likely that they didn't even play it before rehashing whatever CM wanted people to believe, thereby probably ensuring their access-pass to the next CM press event.

I just look up the user comments and reviews, and when I am in the mood I compare it with reviews. It seems that reviewers grow into somekind of propaganda pawns, and it is getting worse. I wonder when the critical mass will be reached and most people distrust review sites, especially the large ones. I guess than will come the rise of the 'honest' user comments instead of relying on the usefull fanboys that only see it in the positive light. If that isn't already happening.

What about the latest scandal, a german review site is permitted to review Assassin's Creed 2 but only if they give it a really good score.

http://www.destructoid.com/ubisoft-demands-high-assassin-s-creed-2-review-score--154456.phtml

Long live the "DR has been released thread" and god bless all who post in her.

And look at the topic views! :D

For that reason alone, it will be a shame to let it die. Besides, you can learn from history. ;)

When is the release of the Sea Tour DLC?

Luhgnut]Man, he's even turned on them. But his points are incorrect. The AI is not good, it's stupid. He says the only saving grace is the AI? Well they are dumb as rocks. So that's not much saving grace.

The only saving grace is the excellent main music theme. :rolleyes:

the music is rubbish, hey failed even that part:p

You know, some of the Chinese players are a tad upset with the music. They say it is supposed to be Chinese but listen to the guys voice. He sounds like he's puking.

It ain't a bliss on their console section either.

Here's a funny remark after patch:

Issue with my soldiers rifle not firing or having any damage affect. Sunday, AI americans were around firing and nothing was happening. Both sides weapons wouldn't work in firefight. Had to knife to get kills. Finally killed by armor.

I'm off now to taunt a friend of mine who bought the nonsense :D

Luhgnut;1485670']You know' date=' some of the Chinese players are a tad upset with the music. They say it is supposed to be Chinese but listen to the guys voice. He sounds like he's puking.[/quote']

Been learned one of those for three years due to my high school request on every student, I take that as an insult if anyone dare to say that those music is in anyway "chinese" :D

Edited by 4 IN 1

They could have just deleted the whole PLA and replaced it with Chow Yun Fat.

That would have been a good choice action wise.