889 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like?

• Jungle, seas, islands
    • Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests
    • Big residental areas
    • Snow lands
    • Alien worlds, fantasy
    • Deserts and rocky areas

i would like to see big cities like Washington d.c or New york or even Berlin devided in two sides the comunist side and the democratic side , that would be great for a war mission like " world in conflict "(game) were the ww3 start .:rolleyes:

here a picture of world in conflict :

http://www.todotecnologia.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/world-soviet-assault-1594.jpg

sorry for my English:bounce3:

i would like to see big cities like Washington d.c or New york or even Berlin

Like IceBreakr says - the big holdup with urban terrain of any kind is the buildings themselves! - there's a VERY limited amount of buildings available in stock Arma2, if you've played, you've seen them - all of them... right now thats all we've got to play with - all we can do is arrange them in different patterns, but that's not going to make the city look like Washington, or New York, or Berlin... (well maybe Berlin a little)... it's all down to available models.

Most island makers are Jack-of-all-trades since islandmaking involves a bit of everything, but generally they're NOT epic modelmakers, (apologies to those who are :)) which is what would be required to make those well-known cities believable... Right now, mountains rivers an forests are no problem - in increasing variety, as you'll see with IceBreakrs upcoming Isla Duala which will feature what I'm talking about - custom models... In this case Berghoff's African Veggies... And there's our biggest hope for more varied terrain - Berghoff and guys like him...

Berghoff has been a tree-guru since OFP days... I sortof quietly mentioned in passing on his thread what a welcome thing a basic snowy trees pack would be, in the wild hope he might pick up on the idea... That would go a long way towards getting a proper snow terrain happening by someone.

Again - back in the OFP days, after a while, a few buildings packs DID begin to emerge... I kinda don't remember much for Arma 1, but hopefully with the new interest in Arma 2 and the amazing modelling skills currently on display in the "what I'm up to" thread, theres a good chance we may see some custom buildings appearing in the future... It may be a while tho...

B

Let's see..

Large city map = Arrowhead

Mountains & Rivers = Panthera

Snow = Namalsk partly

I guess that leaves jungle warfare (with lots of dense vegetation and plenty of rivers) and a full snow map (Someone please make a snowmobile?)

Alien worlds? Well if you make alien models/alien killing mod, sure.. Not sure I see the point of killing humans in an alien world.

<edit> As for deserts, we've got CAA1.. Might not be as exciting if you played arma for x years.. But it works for me :)

Duala will have deserts and also lush forests near sea (mostly Eastern part). Towns will be quite big for CQB fans ;) the thing i'm currently most proud is the realistic border with fence and checkpoints :)

I'm also amazed on how big area this is when there are no steep hills :o luckly there will be paved roads connecting major towns.

First of all, congratulations for your excellent work, Icebreakr!!!!

We already have snow, desert and temperate islands. The thing that I would like the most would be a two islands map ala OFP World.

There long range operations could be performed. Helicopters, planes and ships would be key for landing ops and long range operations. In that kind of map, capturing the airport in the other island would really be an important task, for bringing supplies and new troops

I'd like some massive city that has lots of large buildings, endless streets, some nice houses, etc. Pretty much a map that doesn't get boring, but some city fights could take place in. Like the size of 9 Chernogorks. Massive.

I would love to see some middle eastern maps.

For example

- Iraq

- Afghanistan

- Pakistan

- Iran

high mountainous regions, farms, cities, Markets, Enterable buildings, rivers, mountain houses/hideouts/villages, schools, petrol stations, offices, mosques and mountain caves/tunnels

0r maybe a afghan/pakistan border map, two countries on one map like Duala.

Edited by Contact

^ You pretty much just described Operation Arrowhead. Also, tunnels and caves are not really possible in ArmA 2, without ALOT of work, and custom models for each cave/tunnel.

I'd like a large recreation of Mogadishu, Somalia for some Black Hawk Down/Operation Restore Hope scenarios. You could probably port your shacks and African homes over from Duala to Mogadishu too which'd probably make that part easy. Not to mention there are some great Satelite and aerial pics of Mogadishu.

I'm all for desert, not large urban maps though, since I don't think those kinds of battles work very well in this engine, but large desert-areas with some villages etc. would be nice.

My map Jade Groove will feature a desert terrain similiar to Arizona. It won't be a dull desert. There will a lot of low-growth bushes and cactus trees. I want to achieve the "Mad Max" feel. Interesting roads for racing and combat will be the major point, there will also be couple of missing bridges with improvised jumps instead of them. Couple of villages, a town with armybase (runway included) and bunch of outposts. Map will also feature a large mountain with nice road leading to the top where a small town will be.

It will reach internal-testing stage tommorow and hopefully public beta soon (week, two).

That sounds really nice IceBreakr, the problem with many of the desert maps are that they feel too empty, too few low-growth bushes and rocks etc.

I'm aware of that and won't do that mistake. I've even installed OFP and tried out that Starlight City map and Ylass map... man, I wish I didn't. OFP looks *so* outdated, along with all the maps for it. I use real photos for the reference, for example:

desert_example.jpg

Columbia would be nice jungle areas, cities, small jungle towns, hills, mountains , big catholic Church's

How about suburban small town USA? It'd be a nice change from the eastern European style of most maps plus it'd open a lot of ideas for mission makers.

that would be great to have. I have no problem making models for that.

it's about time the US was invaded! project 85 would have a better use...

Huge metropolis city map. I don't care if the AI fails horribly in urban combat (I will use it for zombie apocalypse scenarios though it will fail as well)

I just want a huge city map.

Raserisk: we would need a dedicated team (1-3 guys) that would complete for example US rural/city building models. Then we would need extra couple of guys that would create blocks of settlements and send them over in .pew templates to a "island maker" that would put together such a project :)

esco7800: I'm working on my 4rd ArmA2 island codename "Lingor", its a nice jungle map with one big town and airport+FOB. Intended mostly for COOP US/Euro Forces vs Local Rebels. And there's a river with many paths leading to the remote parts/mountain area ;) It will look similiar to:

- Amazonas board game

- miniature Brasil Amazon area

- Cliffhanger movie peaks for mountain SAR missions ;)

had to vote for deserts and snowy terrain:

i'd like an iraq-inspired map by icevreakr, whose work is always outstanding, that didn't require caa1, and also some polar maps would be sweet.

just snow, ice, water and a few trees.. drool

can't wait to DL your next map ice, keep it up