889 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like?

• Jungle, seas, islands
    • Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests
    • Big residental areas
    • Snow lands
    • Alien worlds, fantasy
    • Deserts and rocky areas

ok, sorry.. didnt know that about Panthera...

anyway, i´ve tried it, i dont get a feel on it, so i dont play on it....

im sure you have put a lot of effort on it and you should be proud of that.

we all got different taste ;)

i could probably give a few hints of what i think could improve it if you like though....

Sure, please use this topic or drop me a PM with all the tips. I'm about to release v2.3 (final, probably no futher updates) so your input would be precious to make it better!

I'm tired of this "temperate" terrain for a while so I want to do a "Africa" feel, if you know what I mean. But I'll surely take a few days to think about a new project, thats for sure.

Edited by IceBreakr

hey you stoped the isla duala? damn, well is your new map going to be simular.....and u stoped isla duala cause its a real place right? so what ur saying is you just gonna do made-up maps....ok thats even better for most situations! may i still suggest the afgan type maps i suggested..also one thing good about a afgan type map..is in afgan there is belive it or not...a lot of snow....so it would make for both a good desert map and snow map(snow on the upper parts of the mountains and surrounding area)! any how good luck!

icebreakr why did you inform us how good is Duala just to say now you 've stopped its development??I am going to suffer an heart attack this way...

I have it on a hold for few days and will probably consult with couple of guys on what to change to make it more suitable for mil-sim instead of "BF-like" gameplay. I'll let you know when I have something to show.

Making an Afghan map before the release of Arrowhead is not a good idea, since BIS will create cool new desert objects, as you know we don't have anything suitable in A2 except couple of houses. And can't count on Opteryx's excellent stuff as he is "on strike" or something :) Nicholas Bell is hopefully still working on Razani?

Edited by IceBreakr

Issue is that I don't wanna go through the "convert phase" anymore, BIS new desert theme residental objects look excellent and its better to wait with desert island ;)

if you would ask me about my preferences about islands:

answer is : something that we don't have

there is east european island like Chernarus

there is Arma 1 Sahrani which is desert-middle east type

there is Afghani island (sand, desert, middle east)

why another sand/desert/middle east ?

Arrowhead will give it

but what we are missing:

- winter island

- fantastic alien tyberian star wars island

- old age island for ww2 ww1 mod

- something like aftermath island destroyed after war like parts of Kolguyev

those things are missing, cause neither done nor in progress to be soon released

of course there were always in addonmaking people who wanted "another 24-th MP5 pack, another 31-st G36 pack, another ACU addon , another...."

but is it rational to be fifth who make desert island ?

Klurs island in Arma1 was big thing - noone made such island before :)

the same goes to another Arma1 island made by Russians which looked like Chernarus type island

also Namalsk was super

so i think it would be good to focus on something unique

Edited by vilas

but what we are missing:

- winter island

- fantastic alien tyberian star wars island

- old age island for ww2 ww1 mod

- something like aftermath island destroyed after war like parts of Kolguyev

those things are missing, cause neither done nor in progress to be soon released

Winter? It's okay if you want play WW2 mods :)

Alien world? For what? Just bunch of players wants maps like this.

Old age? Good idea, Schmalfelden was great.

Aftermath? CWR will give us a new Kolgujev.

I think that modders should work directly on military look-a-like maps because ArmA isn't alien shooter or next Wolfenstein FPS type. I hate when someone release science-fiction addons. It's not fit into ArmA game engine.

But of course, if they do such a things...well, their choice.

would LOVE to see some pacific style islands, even something like several smallish islands surrounded by water (duh) havnt really seen much like this in arma b4 (other than the vietnam maps) would be alot of work and custom content but could be truely epic

Winter? It's okay if you want play WW2 mods :)

Alien world? For what? Just bunch of players wants maps like this.

Old age? Good idea, Schmalfelden was great.

Aftermath? CWR will give us a new Kolgujev.

I think that modders should work directly on military look-a-like maps because ArmA isn't alien shooter or next Wolfenstein FPS type. I hate when someone release science-fiction addons. It's not fit into ArmA game engine.

But of course, if they do such a things...well, their choice.

> aftermath island - CWR is MOD, not island addon

CWR will be over 1GB probably, but i am talking about addon of island

> alien addons i liked always :D

> winter - not only WW2, but modern warfare too, i remember many winter mods in OFP including big Kegetys work and FDF work

> Shemafelden is flat - old with castles and really XIX/XX century atmosphere :D

Shemafelden was island good for some tank missions, but not for other missions, cause flat area makes you cannot hide before AI for missions reasons

large flat area looks super like in one of OFP islands, but it is problem when it comes to easy missionmaking for persons which are not advanced missionmakers

AI will open fire and see you, you cannot move in some parts and etc.

Winter: I would recommend a remake of a classic - island of Ivtilac for OFP :)

One of the coolest islands with amazing setup for all kinds of gameplay, and high mountains covered in snow.

See the original thread on how it looks, ArmA1 players can also check it out with ACE Islands v1.00 repack, but sadly its not in a quality of OFP original.

I've already tried contacting Narpal (original author) but didn't get any feedback.

I'd like to see something similar to the british countryside, it has quite a distinct look and feel compared to quite alot of europe. Something like Daraisolas would be good, reminded me of Ireland for some reason...

Daraisolas

Personal preference is for built up areas; I spent a lot of time in Arma 1 tootling around Opteryx's maps, and liked to set up patrols and situations and then leave them a few weeks so I forgot any paths. From memory, I set up several missions to drive from the south to the north west FOB (on the Avghani map?), starting with WMIKs and latterly using Jackals. Mis-spent a few hours on that one as I had several different insurgent configurations to battle, and once at the base usually had to fend off further attacks. Too much reading Sniper One I suppose.

I also like inserting ambient life (aka men!) into those maps as it seemed more in keeping. The larger assortment of civilians in Arma 2 is (and would have been even more) awesome.

Its probably a personal thing but I still find wooded areas a little sparse and enemies can be simpler to spot, whereas a town with AI using streets and alleyways can be a formidable place.

cjph

I'd like to see something similar to the british countryside, it has quite a distinct look and feel compared to quite alot of europe. Something like Daraisolas would be good, reminded me of Ireland for some reason...

Daraisolas

I am working in this area, atleast i think so. Currently making a small 5 x 5 km island based on terrain like the scottish highlands.

Still have a lot of work in that area so dont hold your breath here. For me its a fun project. This weekend few people tested my terrain for lod issues etc. One of them made a youtube. Shows a bit of the terrain. yeah yeah horrible music :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cvvBQGdPo

yeah i feel we have too many ww2 maps, and german\europe type maps! but not many good snow maps....and for those of yous who think there is not enough winter addons to go along with it well, not exactly as i am making a big winter mod(also i have a few ppl who feel like i do about the beautiful winter maps, and has offerd to work with me, and one of thoses maps is a nice artic type map, with lots of pipelines and so on, good for missions) so keep an eye out for my mod, once i get more info on the islands im to help with(one of them i just need to remake the plant textures) ill post wip pics and status of them!

Edited by soldier2390

Big, urban-type maps, Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk are too small to be considered cities, they are far too small to be anything more than big towns, i want REAL cities!

yeah i feel we have too many ww2 maps, and german\europe type maps! but not many good snow maps....and for those of yous who think there is not enough winter addons to go along with it well, not exactly as i am making a big winter mod(also i have a few ppl who feel like i do about the beautiful winter maps, and has offerd to work with me, and one of thoses maps is a nice artic type map, with lots of pipelines and so on, good for missions) so keep an eye out for my mod, once i get more info on the islands im to help with(one of them i just need to remake the plant textures) ill post wip pics and status of them!

I offered to help you, but you said no. :(

i didnt say no? did i? if i did im really sorry, i was very tired the last time i talked to you! i think what i meant to say as i just want to finish the vehicles first....so that i had time to work on the islands! and i just finished up the vehicles so im good to go! but yeah im completely down to do it! sorry buddy, it was a long nite!

Edited by soldier2390

Why does a winter map needs to be made from scratch? Aren't there places that will have nice deep snow in the winter but look normal in summer? Would be great to have a super island in two versions.

So you could please more people and don't leave that much out. But I still have to get started with terrain modding, so I'm not sure if this is that easy to do.

I am working in this area, atleast i think so. Currently making a small 5 x 5 km island based on terrain like the scottish highlands.

Still have a lot of work in that area so dont hold your breath here. For me its a fun project. This weekend few people tested my terrain for lod issues etc. One of them made a youtube. Shows a bit of the terrain. yeah yeah horrible music :)

Yeah thats looking pretty good matey, scottish highlands would be nice :)

Big, urban-type maps, Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk are too small to be considered cities, they are far too small to be anything more than big towns, i want REAL cities![/QUOT

yap:bounce3:

With this and STALKERGBs Brit troops (be sure to make a Spoon one) all we need now is a Werewolf addon. :omg:

yeah yeah horrible music :)

Beautiful music you mean. ;)

Just want a nice big island and another island (or two, three) farther out so there would be reason to have airports on the maps. Would aslo make the use of ships and boats more fun.

FYI: The City Life II mod is looking for an experienced island maker to help us out.

(sorry if this is wrong place to ask, but if I broke any forum rules by doing so please just delete this post)