889 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like?

• Jungle, seas, islands
    • Mountains, rivers, lakes, forests
    • Big residental areas
    • Snow lands
    • Alien worlds, fantasy
    • Deserts and rocky areas

Would there be any interest to see a small jungle chain of islands with only one big town and airport/FOB nearby? For guerrila hunt operations?

Most certainly yes!

Err... they might look realistic but you still can't enter houses and clear them. Vilas, what use does that Hospital in A2 have if you can only climb on the roof but cannot take cover inside of for ex. 2nd floor? Closed buildings ARE NOT realistic, period.

this engine is not Max Payne, MOHAA, RTCW, SWAT and others , that play in buidlings,

AI is problematic in closed objects, still sometimes moving trough the wall, so not for this game

this game is designed for open space battlefield

and maybe check other issues i wrote about:

small village with 5 chaotic randomly pasted buildings, one of them large block of flats (8 floor as i remember)

and warehouse with dirt road in center of forest away from people

cause some addonmakers really made super landscape and forget about urbanistic rules

it is like making super textures for weapons and forgetting about barrel and magazine in model

mission in city is nice in game, but some chaotic random placement takes away good effect

cause there are Police/SWAT/bandits addons, so such "police type" mission can be played

but some addonmakers forget about urbanistic rules (or have no knowledge) and than island is waisted time

cause such addonmaker spent very long hours to do it and end-user opens in editor, laugh and delete

i know how much time it is to do island , maybe months of work, for sure weeks of work (placing many many many objects)

if you say that closed building are not realistic, than i will say that :

warehouse in middle of forest with cheap dirt road , very far from city, village is not realistic

for sure it is not realistic: village with 4 small buidlings and one big 8 floor block of flats, no street, no anything ... dirt road leading to 4 small poor houses and 8 floor :/ this is not realistic totally

random heap of buildings placed in random direction, some time 2 meters between such buildings

town without any infrastructure is not realistic

Edited by vilas

Hehehe...

Good video, though - those who haven't been to Scotland please note - that's a fairly flat bit in that video :)

Quite a lot of it looks like this...

B

Hey dude,

Seems ya picked the same area :) I am working for 1,5 month or so already on a nice 5 x 5 km area based on the scottish highlands but not reproducing them.

Ere a small link to my ingame(old one already, but ya get the idea):

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6474/arma22009100822533755.png

Nice to see your pics mate.

Edited by spirit6

Russians shown Valhalla mod pictures (island for Arma 1 , but work on upgrade) and it is totally amazing :)

general look at island making:

people live:

people die

people eat

people wash them self

people work

people buy

people learn in school

people travel

Yep i think people realize this all mate. But keep in mind that no addon maker is out there to please your and maybe somebody elses desire for realism. They are out there to enjoy making what THEY think is fun and good.

Its only the final stage where people are allowed to enjoy what the creator puts out there.

What i try to say to you is that people know that a 8 tall high does not belong on a dirtroad on its own in the forest. However: They might not aim for realism but aim for good fun shooting and games. Or maybe they dont give a shit anymore cause they have been placing buildings for 3,5 month already.

Edited by spirit6

Vilas: 6+ months of work to be precise.

- did you ask yourself if that warehouse is actually intended for storing and drying wood? That warehouse actually exists in RL? ;)

- maybe warehouse is hidden for a reason, used as guerrila's weapon cache?

- did you ask yourself why that crane is doing in the village? Hotel maybe never completed because of war? That I've actually been to resorts that have a very thin line (#1, #2) from slums and usually with only couple of armed guards in the middle?

Anyway Vilas, I welcome you to make an island (the more the merrier ;)) with complete infrastructure. And remember that urbanistic rules often don't apply in war torn and poor countries ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

I the rural areas of my country there are a lot of villages that consist of a dozen houses in the middle of nowhere. Those villages have no schools, shops or... you know.. anything. Villagers must travel to the next town for food, supplies, hospitals etc.

But I agree, you can't have irrelevant modern tall buildings in the middle of a farming community. It breaks immersion.

The more consistent with reality the map is, the better. Check the Namalsk map. You can actually visualize the whole think working.

Vilas, you just sound like your're gloating mate. Get making some Islands for A2 then we will judge the realism. The engine will prevent total realism regarding urban areas.

Personally I love Panthera, okay the building stock is limited to Arma 1 and Arma 2 objects, and because IceBreakr has used only enterable buildings (a must in my opinion, even with the ai, they cant shoot from it and cause a tactical problem to a squad and of course in PvP they can be used well) it has lowered the amount of varierty he can put into his villages.

Vilas, you just sound like your're gloating mate. Get making some Islands for A2 then we will judge the realism. The engine will prevent total realism regarding urban areas.

i made 5 islands for OFP, so i know what is a hard work, and i made them in WRP TOOL, i had no imported terrain from somekind generator (Visitor requires it)

and i think WRP TOOL was best soft

if you think i am only gloating, look at list of my addons and than think am i gloating or i know what i am talking about

there is no my OFP islands now, but on google i found remains of one of islands for OFP

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/newwy4.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa1.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa2.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa3.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa4.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa5.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa8.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/vilas/screens/wyspa9.jpg

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/37/files2/39436_1.jpg

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/37/files2/39436_2.jpg

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/37/files2/39432_1.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics4/poland_island02.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics4/poland_island01.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics4/poland_island03.jpg

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/news/pics4/poland_island04.jpg

Edited by vilas

i made 5 islands for OFP, so i know what is a hard work, and i made them in WRP TOOL, i had no imported terrain from somekind generator (Visitor requires it)

and i think WRP TOOL was best soft

if you think i am only gloating, look at list of my addons and than think am i gloating or i know what i am talking about

there is no my OFP islands now, but on my disc i may have remains of OFP

Mate who are you trying to convince here? Take it easy and simple put your money where your mouth is then;)

Have fun making the stuff mate, thats more important.

@ just refresh site and look at screens when i was mostly dealing with islands, not weapons/units/vehicles

as i will install OFP again i will try to find islands and show more (addons from 2005)

i wonder is it possible to import and somehow reborn my OFP islands (of course need serious rebuild) with VISITOR, when i have addons from OFP , anyone knows ??

Edited by vilas

vilas: Kju might be your man or ACE guys that were able to convert majority of them to A1.

BTW: this is one of the coolest medieval towns I've been in BIS series, congrats and hopefully we can see some of your talents (as a respectable community member you certainly are) also on a A2 map;)

Edited by IceBreakr

this castle is one of some on one of island, other was very big bunker, aka those in RTCW

generally one of islands was "for RTCW" purposes,

other island was designed to fight between 2 countries

border was - mountains, like many times in real life, and there were caves (working big caves, not small for 1 man) and top object on cave were trees, cave was hidden but it was designed for player to be saboteur which hides in mountain to take some actions on border or enemy country military base

there was also island with destroyed big city, inspired by FullMetalJacket movie

i will give screens in few days as i will find my OFP addons in home

every place in island was made with idea of mission there

so when i was planning mission, than i was making island place for it

but my planes failed in OFP, so it was never finished (missions for this) cause people were saying "waait, we will help you with missions, waaait, do addons for it, we will take care about missions" and... this way i left with complete scenario and 5 islands and 100 units

normally objects were placed to be in mission, but 1 or 2 man who "helped" had "other idea" and "scenario" prepared to be played on island... in 2006 december we had Arma 1 releas and OFP work collapsed

cause scenario and strict work is most important

most annoying and biggest pain in the ass is when you have plan "i will do cover sniper mission, i done sniper model, i done sniper rifle, i done island with covers" and guy who promissed to do mission says "hell with sniper, i have great idea for close quatters battle"

thats why those things were not popular, only Polish community knew about those islands (and some people there)

it was planned as big mod, campaigns, lots of missions and i took job to create worlds and weapons for it

but all failed because of "i have no time Vilas, sorry, shool" "i have other idea"

thats why my advice - do all yourself, or get people who follow scenario in plan

when you start mod, something, you have idea how it looks, but sometimes cooperators have "own ideas" and whole collapse

in every company, movie - there is director, guy who has scenario and other follow plan - thats why all works

when one actor say "i will not play her lover, i want rifle and i will play commando" and other actor say" i won't play on drums here, i will take a book and start reading loudly" than movie about "love to musicians fail, right ?

the same with every mod creation, with missions creation - i had some scenarios, but i had no time

or people were stopping me "wait, you have no briefing, no scripts, no camera" and missions left in my disc for Arma 1 addons and OFP addons

if KJU will find time (which is precious) to convert terrains i will be very very very happy

but back to islands issue - when you do island it is also good to think about missions , how they will look here

thats why we do caves, bunkers, covers and other objects in islands

and i will publish some screens of my ideas of island places (as i will find my OFP), maybe it will help also other people to do islands

please refresh site and you will find 7 more screens in previous post

one place of city on Polska island was place where i live (buildings, trees, kiosk, shop, school, Police station) other place of city was where my girl lived (buildings, street, shop, garage, trees, fences)

all in city was "for real" (including a lot of new buildings, churches, police stations, shops)

but outside city, caves, bunkers were designed "for mission scenario"

Edited by vilas

but back to islands issue - when you do island it is also good to think about missions , how they will look here

thats why we do caves, bunkers, covers and other objects in islands

and i will publish some screens of my ideas of island places (as i will find my OFP), maybe it will help also other people to do islands

Mmm its funny that its totaly the opposite of how i look at it. When i create an island i create it exactly how i picture it, how i think it should look, how i would love and like it. Not even ones i consider missions or other game related stuff. As long as i do that then there will be terrain that is then fitting and for that inspiring for mission makers without influencing them.

But like said before: do what ya like :)

I am working for 1,5 month or so already on a nice 5 x 5 km area based on the scottish highlands but not reproducing them.

Hi spirit6...

Sounds like we're working in complementary rather than conflicting areas then... great!

Your screenshot looks great - I'm sure we'd all like to see more when you're ready... Looks like you're well advanced... I'm still at the "sitting in Global Mapper placing about 10,000 ground control points to get my sat image locked to the DEM" stage :(

B

Just my 2 cents, ive been playing avgani village solid for the last month, and love it! i think its the best map ive played in any game... its got everything you need in a map.

I dont think it matters to much where the map is based, city, jungle etc as longs as it has some contrasting points that might make for some interesting battle, to me i think gameplay is more important than beauty? i mean nice large green rolling hills are nice and stuff but it doesnt feel right that i would battle in the open.... thats why i like avgani village, its got the perfect blend of cover and wide open areas.

Anyway thats cos i play on foot, probably different if ya like flying or tanks etc

I would love a jungle map but with AI pin pointing you with deadly accuracy through heavy vegitation it would be a pain. So i vote for "Big residental areas" :)

Do most agree now that AI in ArmA2 can "pin pointing you with deadly accuracy through heavy vegitation"? I haven't really noticed this, but then again, maybe I haven't spent enough time in the forests. If this is a problem, anyone know of another Durgs or similar to fix it?

Because we definately need to be on equal footing with the AI in all those wonderful new jungle maps we'll eventually see in ArmA2. :)

Edited by MadRussian

Hi spirit6...

Sounds like we're working in complementary rather than conflicting areas then... great!

There is no conflicts mate and if it was then all that can happen is 2 awesome maps of the same area;)

Your screenshot looks great - I'm sure we'd all like to see more when you're ready... Looks like you're well advanced... I'm still at the "sitting in Global Mapper placing about 10,000 ground control points to get my sat image locked to the DEM" stage :(

Cheers mate, looking forward to screenies from your project. Good luck!

Deserts and rocky areas would be great... or you might even mix desert and jungle, kind of like OFP Tonal :)

Edited by USSRsniper

Desert & jungle is my Isla Duala, I'm around 50% complete. And yeah, I would need Tonal screenshots (possibly map) to use as a reference photos to make A2 even more enjoyable ;)

I would have to say that I'd like to see more of European styled maps. specifically, Germany or Poland. I am attempting to do a Twilight 2000 campaign based on the original RPG of that name, and I am finding it hard to create a version of the initial campaign, which is set in Poland, using existing maps. I do have plans to do future campaigns with Panthera and Ensk maps, which are excellent as is Schmelfelden. Just need one more to get over the "hump" of the first campaign.

I would need Tonal screenshots (possibly map) to use as a reference photos to make A2 even more enjoyable ;)

:D, Shouldn't be problem, now ;).