R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Deleting the .cfg don´t worked.

Yeah, I took my time to read and understand the whole post. The paths at registry are correct (One to Program Files.... other in Steam...).

Installed the OA Beta Patch and it runs fine oO

Deleted the whole Steam folder ,saving the addons and common folders which are the big ones, and downloaded the rest and still the crappy performance.

Already tried one defrag via Steam, change video drivers but nothing.

Thanks for your time and concern with me :p

EDIT: After some reboots (due others things, not related) it solved itself. :confused: Who knows...

Edited by Smurf

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Processor: AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 6140MB RAM

Page File: 2122MB used, 10156MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

graphics : ATI Moblity Radeon HD 4650 1 GB video memory

thats my machined specs and even if i turn the settings a;; the way down frame rates are so low i can play the game at al. Is my computer to slow to run the game at all?

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Processor: AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M620 (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 6140MB RAM

Page File: 2122MB used, 10156MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

graphics : ATI Moblity Radeon HD 4650 1 GB video memory

thats my machined specs and even if i turn the settings a;; the way down frame rates are so low i can play the game at al. Is my computer to slow to run the game at all?

this game is simply UNPLAYABLE.

core2quad @ 2.8ghz (yeah it's the summer...) 4GB , ati 5800 1GB , fps in editor with simple military zoned template give me 18 fps with stuttering , even with 1000 meter view distance.

bohemia need to employ a good 3D Engine engineer. or offer core i7 gaming rig free to their client.

Edited by gL33k

That is odd. I'm guessing it's because ArmA2 does not play nicely with Crossfire?

Well first I didn't have crossfire and the game still ran very bad. The weird thing is, on my other lower spec rig with a ati 4850 the game runs smooth eventhough my single 5770 should perform better then the 4850.

Bohemia needs to build a better engine in their next sequel of the game which is capable of working with high end hardware and is prepared for future hardware.

bohemia need to employ a good 3D Engine engineer. or offer core i7 gaming rig free to their client.

A core i7 wont solve the problems, cause I do have one and the game runs very bad.

Do yourself a favour and try these tweaks.

Then be so kind as to let us know how you get on.

I have ArmA 2 with the latest beta patch and the fps went a little up but still unacceptable in citys (15-22 fps). Normally the game suffered from screen flickering (white) because of the post processing or something, this screen flicker changed in another but less irritating way of screen flicker. Conclusion: there needs to be a lot more of improvements.

Edited by marcon

Don't enable or watch fps counters while playing, accept the performance in this engine is low especially with a lot of AI, drop all graphics settings to low regardless of hardware.

Edited by dmitri

, drop all graphics settings to low regardless of hardware.

What? No. If your FPS is low because because your CPU cant keep up you can keep your settings high without a change in performance. No point in letting your GPU idle while your CPU is working his ass off anyway.

What? No. If your FPS is low because because your CPU cant keep up you can keep your settings high without a change in performance. No point in letting your GPU idle while your CPU is working his ass off anyway.

Unfortunately, things aren't always that simple.

On my "normal" rig (E8400 + 4GB@800Mhz + 4850), the only way to get something acceptable (1920x1080 resolution) is to drop almost all settings to "Low" (Object setting on High as I can't stand lod swapping, Shadows on Normal as there is no Low and I quite don't like the way they are handled on High anyway, and 2400 view distance as anything less would be atrocious on some vehicle missions).

The game engine is just resource hungry. Gotta live with it. Even if some optimizations would be welcome, indeed.

I bought a 1GB GTX460 and installed it at the same time as I installed OA. I was horrified to find that I was actually getting lower frame rates than A2 on my previous GT8800, and severe stuttering to boot.

All of my problems went away when I set my video memory from "default" to "high". Now my framerates are equal with A2 or OA. And with the latest beta, OA is smoother than A2.

In fact I now notice that my E6750 is the bottleneck. Time to upgrade CPU to cope with buildings in OA :)

The game engine is just resource hungry. Gotta live with it. Even if some optimizations would be welcome, indeed.

Yes, the engine is resource hungry, but no more than ie "GTA IV" or "Metro 2033" and it´s getting optimized with every beta patch; it´s just not that "forgiving" like some other engines, so first of all your personal system maintainance is of uttermost importance.

With a mediocre system it should be no problem to get decent framerates on preset "very high", I´m playin maxed out, 6.6 k VD on an I7 920/ HD 5850 with no problems at all :j:

Yes, the engine is resource hungry, but no more than ie "GTA IV" or "Metro 2033" and it´s getting optimized with every beta patch; it´s just not that "forgiving" like some other engines, so first of all your personal system maintainance is of uttermost importance.

With a mediocre system it should be no problem to get decent framerates on preset "very high", I´m playin maxed out, 6.6 k VD on an I7 920/ HD 5850 with no problems at all :j:

There is no such thing as "forgiveness" in game engines. They are either resource hungry, or they are not. BIS engines are, and for very understandable reasons I might add (huge game worlds, stimuli responsive AI, simulation of multiple systems).

With such engines, maintaining 30fps (which is a bare minimum for visual comfort) with all the streaming and systems computing (including AI) can hardly be achieved without reducing graphical fidelity on "mid-end" systems. Even "high-end" systems have a hard time coping with the raw power required by "High" settings.

Oh and by the way, an i7 920 with a 5850 is hardly a mediocre system.

Put Texture Detail to Very High, place yourself in the centre of Chernogorsk on Chernasus, weapon zoomed, and spin around really fast. You might have to try a few different locations in the town. What I see is severe texture popup. 2x1GB GPU ram is not enough to cache all the very high detail textures. The texture loading seems to have a real bottleneck. If ArmAOA could access more system ram than 2GB, would the situation be improved? I assume the delay comes from having to stream the textures from the hard disk cache.

Does anyone have a rig for which they do not experience this at all? I am curious what their machine specs are and what settings they are using.

i7 920 default clocking, HT disabled, 6GB ram

SLIx2 gtx285 1GB ram

Vista Ultimate 64

Edited by Mr.Peanut
gollywogs

Win Xp 32bit

Intel Core2 Quad Q6700 std clock speeds

8800gt

4gb ram

etc etc

I play at

1680x1050 res and 3d

all is off or normal

PP off

shadows off

anti off

I cant play very well at all I mean I have slow down near towns the frame rate dips.

BIS just got ARMA2 running well with 1.07 though texture pop up was still bad.

But now in OA near small towns damn it I just cant play I normaly snipe but trying to snipe a target running through a town is impossible its jerky and frame rate dips :(.

Please BIS improve the performance.

The thing that annoyes me the most is:

That the frames drop down to 11-15 FPS every 10 seconds and stay there for some seconds. Then again, I have a dream performance of 40 to 60 FPS and again, it drops...

The game (only OA, A2 runs fine!) really isn't playable this way! :(

I don't know how to solve this, I tried EVERYTHING, really everything people suggest. Nothing helped to solve this problem.

The curious about it is that I can see what my rig actually is capable of: Frames up to 40-80 FPS (depending the adjustments).

But it's not possible to play with these regular ups and downs to 10-15 FPS... :(

A "proof" that this issue has nothing to do with the hardware you use is that with all settings to low, all off what can be turned off, a resolution of 800x600 --> It is still the same. My frames go up to heaven and after some time, again this drop to unplayablity...

Btw. what I definitely know is that this doesn't happen in the emtpy Takistan map in the editor (no units, no scripts running, etc.).

My PC:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Nvidia 260 GTX

4 GB RAM

80 GB HD

PS: And before some say again: "Well, your GPU might be the bottleneck here." -> Please remember what I wrote, that my FPS go up to 80 (depending the [low] settings), so it's obvious to me that the card can finely handle the game.

To Undeceived

That really sounds like some kind of program running in the background doing something every so often or a virus?.

Have tried disabling all tasks unneeded?.

But yes performance for me is not good :( I just get it mainly near towns etc and the dreaded bloody trees again even in OA maps.

Yes, I disabled all programs and I'm clean of viruses as well (at least I think so - do regular system scans).

I also tried that programm Game Booster (is this the name?) which in gaming mode disables all services not needed for gaming. It also didn't help.

Please also remember that A2 runs fine without these horrible drops.

Edited by Undeceived

Ah ok yeah I have noticed my ARMA2 runs fast as hell after the 1.07 patch now I am all so back to square one with OA and I am gutted please BIS help :)

OH YES, the temporary FPS drops down to 10-15 FPS are gone! :D

Perfect! Aaaah, it's just perfect to be able to play the game with steady FPS... :) I don't need much and I don't need perfect graphics, 25-30 FPS are enough already. But they have to be steady. Drops of + - 5 are acceptable. Drops like from 50 to 10 FPS are not!

I tried everything, really. Nothing worked. Then yesterday I had enough and did what I refused to do the whole time: FORMAT C:. :) But now it runs smooth for me.

Now I will replay the OA campaign and be able to enjoy it! :yay: I really am happy that the problem was somewhere on my PC, not in the game itself...

Edited by Undeceived

Then yesterday I had enough and did what I refused to do the whole time: FORMAT C:. :)

;)

Formated my PC.

Hahahahahaha yep thats all ways a good way to go I all ways do that tbh if I have a problem so much faster then messing with the actual problem :).

Any ways I am glad ya fixed :).

Sorry missed the answer in your previous post :P

Dude, you just don't know how good this feels now! :D

Just played AAS with 90 people and a steady performance. :) This is perfect.

Trust me I do when ARMA2 1.07 patch came out I could max me res all be it 1680x1050 up the view distance to 3000 and very high shadows.

It was the best thing ever I love this game so bloody much and to be able to play with decent graphics just finished that off for me.

I now have a 4890 ATI card coming and hope it will help a little in OA but tbh till they optimize it I don't think it will run as good as ARMA2 did with the great 1.07 patch.