R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

Hi all I would like to know your review please: I am despairing to will be able to run this game correctly one day...

I have ARMA2 with the last patch 1.07 and can't play at it properly on my last PC. I have bought a laptop two days ago and took a good one to be able to run this game correctly (more than 30FPS).

But at least, I am obliged to run it in "normal mode" to play at 30FPS (not much...)

I can't understand why it doesn't run more quickly with this config:

Windows 7 64 bits

Intel I5 450M

RAM: 4Go DDR3

ATI 5850 1Go DDR5

Antivirus turn off

I know there is better config but this one is a very recent one.

Is there a knowing issue with direct x 11 card or something like this? I can't understand...

@maltro: Your video card and RAM seem fine but your CPU isn't that fast (2.4GHz).

So to compensate, have you tried following these tips?

Also what resolution are you playing in?

@maltro: Your video card and RAM seem fine but your CPU isn't that fast (2.4GHz).

So to compensate, have you tried following these tips?

Also what resolution are you playing in?

Thanks for your answer :yay: I know I must be difficult to understand my english! ... :o

I play in 1200x800 (100%).

I have gone to see the tips you were talking about, I am going to try with this sets. Unfortunatly the link for the mod "GTD grass trim" is broken. Will tell you.

:wink_o:

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

:banghead: Have tried this sets and can't have more than 18 FPS. Frame rate fall at 12 FPS when I drive a car. And the game is not very nice... clipping, aliasing.... it's a shame, I have a really good feeling with this game (I like the dynamic campaign, scenario and realism) but it is not playable.

I have noticed a strange thing: even in very low graphic setting mode, the frame rate not increase very much.

PS: I have not tried the mods cause I have not understood how to install... :D Do you think there is a real improvement (FPS) with this mods?

Thanks

Have you disabled any power management settings?

Most laptops neuter their performance to gain battery life.

Just plug you lappy in and do away with any power management settings in Win 7

Thanks for your answer :yay: I know I must be difficult to understand my english! ... :o

I play in 1200x800 (100%).

I have gone to see the tips you were talking about, I am going to try with this sets. Unfortunatly the link for the mod "GTD grass trim" is broken. Will tell you.

Have tried this sets and can't have more than 18 FPS. Frame rate fall at 12 FPS when I drive a car. And the game is not very nice... clipping, aliasing.... it's a shame, I have a really good feeling with this game (I like the dynamic campaign, scenario and realism) but it is not playable.

I have noticed a strange thing: even in very low graphic setting mode, the frame rate not increase very much.

PS: I have not tried the mods cause I have not understood how to install... :D Do you think there is a real improvement (FPS) with this mods?

Thanks

I reassure your English is fine, so far ;)

That resolution seems OK to me.

Thanks for the remark about the broken link for the GDT Grass Mod. I've now fixed the link.

Please try all my recommendations. I have spent many hours testing them and others too. It shouldn't take you more than 15-30 minutes.

Trust me mods CAN increase your framerate, e.g. trimming the grass helps reduce the workload on your CPU.

Good advice from Avoidable.

Let us know how you get on.

I reassure your English is fine, so far ;)

:bounce3: really happy to hear that ! :bounce3:

I have installed Game Booster and won about 5 FPS :) I don't know if the beta patch would improve the frame rate?

Will try it later...

I have seen sreenshot about the grass mod it looks great. I am downloading it. will tell you...:j:

Hi!

I just purchased both ArmA2 and OA via Steam, and I'm happy to inform you that OA runs w/ >35fps @ all settings maxed out except for res, which's [1920x1080, 133%-3d].

ArmA2 on the other hand runs w/ 16<fps<25 @ practically ANY settings (changing them makes very little difference). First I couldn't get the second GPU to work at all in ArmA2, until I removed the ATI/AMD CCC. Now they run ~60%, unless I max out the distance, which causes them to run w/ <50% each. The drivers are Catalyst 10.10, tried the 10.4, no significant change.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Oh btw, the -winxp parameter doesn't really help.

The rig:

Win7 x64

i7 950 (stock clocks, lol)

XFX HD5970 Black Edition

3x2GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM

random WD SATA HDD for the OS - on that note, maybe I should upgrade

I have an Intel E6400 2.13ghz Conroe CPU with 4GB ram and an 8800GT. Used to get very poor performance in missions (10-15fps) now I'm getting average 30FPS on full missions after overclocking to at least 2.4ghz and bumping up my 8800GT clocks a few notches aswell. Overclocking on stock cooling equipment is perfectly safe for a hundred or two mhz (unless it is factory oc'd or previously overclocked). Next time I reboot I'll see just how much farther I can push this CPU, I've heard 2.8GHz is common so that will be next. This game is VERY CPU reliant (if you monitor your CPU/GPU/mem usage, its more times than not your CPU that is bottlenecking the performance).

@phatj: Interesting to read that OA runs significantly better than A2.

Can't really say for OA as I don't have it but I can offer some tips for A2.

@WackyIraqi: I totally agree about the importance of CPU speed and that overclocking today is far safe than it used to be (10+ years ago). Try some of my tweaks for even more performance.

@phatj: Interesting to read that OA runs significantly better than A2.

Can't really say for OA as I don't have it but I can offer some tips for A2.

Tried that, except for the mods, didn't help.

You know, as my post implicitly suggests, the inadequate performance isn't caused by outdated hardware;

it's something about the game that's messed up. Ergo, I really don't like the idea of tweaking my way to the

"acceptable fps-range" and taking a slam on the nose in the graphics department.

Thanks for contributing though.

Hi, I have tried several tips given by Domokun :) and the better (for Arma 2) is to install the last beta patch and put the settings as it is explain. Now I play at 22FPS, never less. It could be better but it is playable and graphics are not so bad.

Phatj, I am intersting by your opinion about OA : I think Arma 2 is really great but really buggy too... script doesn't work very well, squad members doesn t understand my orders, command interface is not very pratical, frame rate is quite poor...:o it s a shame cause there is a lot of quality.

Could you tell me if OA fix thoses "bugs" please?

Thank you! :bounce3:

overclocking might be saver but u are reducing the lifetime of your cpu..

u might want to ask yourself, is it worth it.

Yeah my CPU will only last 20 years...I wouldn't worry about CPU lifetime unless your Juicing it for benchmark runs on LN2... Any stable 24/7 OC on all but the first batches of the 980x( even that is rare) is fine for your CPU. Then if your a real gamer you will update your platform way before CPU death.

Hi, I have tried several tips given by Domokun :) and the better (for Arma 2) is to install the last beta patch and put the settings as it is explain. Now I play at 22FPS, never less. It could be better but it is playable and graphics are not so bad.

Phatj, I am intersting by your opinion about OA : I think Arma 2 is really great but really buggy too... script doesn't work very well, squad members doesn t understand my orders, command interface is not very pratical, frame rate is quite poor...:o it s a shame cause there is a lot of quality.

Could you tell me if OA fix thoses "bugs" please?

Thank you! :bounce3:

To be fair, I JUST started, but I think the AI's a bit better, the interface is pretty much the same and umm... wouldn't know about the script and the framerate.

Finally I have bought OA expansion and (oh surprise!), I reach the 30FPS in every mode and with all the settings on very high (except AA medium and Anisotopic at medium too).

So there is a real improvment between the 2 games. as if OA scenario is less interesting at my opinion.

:yay:

Guys, I feel your pain but Arma2 is a very sophisticated game (it isn't railroad shooter like Call of Duty).

Add to this the fact that it doesn't make the most of modern PCs (poor support for quad cores, doesn't use more than 2GB RAM).

So basically we have a game that is unbalanced, i.e. very resource hungry in some areas and surprisingly meagre in others.

Like many other simulators, the key to good performance is a fast CPU (2GHz min, 2.5GHz mediocre, 3GHz better, 3.5GHz good, 4GHz nice).

After that a recent & decent (>$100) graphics card will help.

Other factors which may help you achieve acceptable framerates (>25fps):

PC

• Defrag your hard disk (try Defraggler)
  • Disable hyperthreading (only for i7 CPUs)no longer required if using the latest patches
  • Close all other programs when playing A2 (browsers, IM, media players, etc.)
  • Disable unecessary services (try Gamebooster)
  • Grab the latest beta patch

In-game video settings

• Ideally set Interface your screen's native resolution
  • Ensure 3D Resolution (Fillrate) is set to 100%
  • Try Video Memory at "Default" or failing that High
  • Reduce Draw Distance to 1800-3600 (biggest impact on performance)
  • Disable AA, if not Low or even Normal (but big hit)
  • Keep Terrain at Normal
  • Set Shadows to Very High
  • Lower Post-Processing to Low or even Disabled

Mods

• Lighten the load from trees & bushes using Proper Vegetation Tweak
  • Enjoy lovely visual effects offered by Post-Processing without the nausea-inducing and performance-sapping blur thanks to Oktane's noBlur mod
  • Trim that lovely but useless (AI can see thru it, you can't) grass and increase your framerates thanks to GTD grass trim

Let us know if that helps.

sorry guys :) there is something I just can't understand :) how come you say to set shadows to "very high"?? I always thought the higher the more weight on GPU :confused: ?? what am I missing??

I think any thing below HIGH it burdens the CPU not GPU.

NO WAY!!:butbut: thanx for the tip, I would never have guessed it :) !!

so you move the processing from the cpu (which is kind of overloaded) to the gpu (which is not as under pression)... good to know :)

referring to shadows: yes, it's true -> the higher the setting the more work is to be done for gpu and therefore it lowers your cpu load - so in my case (low cpu) it's the trick, too

referring to shadows: yes, it's true -> the higher the setting the more work is to be done for gpu and therefore it lowers your cpu load - so in my case (low cpu) it's the trick, too

my rig is very similar to yours :)

I have a Phenom2 X4 965 @3.6 (about... never really understood how fast it goes!) , an Ati5870 with 2Gb and 8Gb of RAM (though I think it is @1000, not @1300 :j:) ...

I tried yesterday, adding the "no blur" mod... more because I do not like the blurring effect than for the fps gain.

btw, how do I find how many fps Arma2 is running during the game?

This suggests it is processing power that is holding you back.

There are some things you will not be able to do (I think you're on a laptop?) to help your performance: installing different aspects of the game to different hard disks, running the game entirely from RAM memory.

However, you will still benefit from making sure other processes are turned off (including anti-virus, super-fetch, Windows Media Search - use services manager to turn these off), and ensuring that your hard disk is regularly defragmented and optimised using a decent defrag program (http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/). Try adding 'vsync=0;' to the end of your Arma2OA.cfg file (in your documents), to turn off vsync.

In the end, though, the only way I get a framerate that I'm happy with is by playing with a lot of settings on low or turned off (except 'textures' on very high), including post processing and shadows. I then get a good, stutter-free frame-rate for any engagement, by altering view distance as required. For me, graphics don't really matter with this game. Anyway, they still look much better than Arma1, and the models for the characters and weapons still include huge numbers of polygons.

Hope you sort your problem out.

Hi,

Interesting news, does it work with shadows only?

sorry guys :) there is something I just can't understand :) how come you say to set shadows to "very high"?? I always thought the higher the more weight on GPU :confused: ?? what am I missing??

You are right in thinking that setting Shadows to "High" or even "Very High" shifts the burden from the CPU to the GPU. What you are missing is that GPUs are generally more efficient at certain calculations than CPUs. So, where possible, you should try and off-load these calculations from the CPU to the GPU. This is particularly important given that the CPU is often a bottlebeck in A2. Obviously this only applies if you have a powerful GPU (<2 years old).

Interesting news, does it work with shadows only?

I suppose: yes, it's working only with the shadow settings (that's my experience)

btw, how do I find how many fps Arma2 is running during the game?

you are ati user, right ? you can install ATI Tray Tools, this smart tool kind of replaces Catalyst Control Center, it uses less memory/ressources than CCC and - my gusto :) - 3d-profile-handling goes faster and with more elegance - I like it much more than CCC ... you can run Ati Tray Tools besides CCC or you can kick CCC completely, as you wish, both tools dont bite each other ;)

with this tool via "tools & options" -> "OnScreen Display" you can set your FPS meter (or you can use "FRAPS", but I prefer FPS meter of Ati Tray Tools)

Ati Tray Tool DL: http://cid-a50350ea7a969f0c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/attsetup.exe?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=868222838

ATI Tray Tools (ATT) is a freeware program developed by Ray Adams for ATI Radeon video cards.

ATI Tray Tools is an advanced tweaker-application that resides in the notification area of the Windows taskbar and allows instant access to video options and settings via a right-click menu. It is normally used as an alternative to the more bulky official Catalyst Control Center (CCC), but it can also run in tandem with it.

[edit] Main features of ATI Tray Tools

* The ability to change the resolution, colors, rotation, and extended desktop settings directly from ATT's right-click menu.

* Changing of OpenGL/Direct3D settings (antialiasing or anisotropic filtering, for example) separate from one another.

* Game profiles, a feature allowing specific OpenGL/Direct3D settings for each game or 3d application.

* Over/UnderClocking of graphics hardware

* Hotkey mapping

* The taking of screenshots

* Hardware monitoring

* OnScreen Display: When an OpenGL/Direct3D application running, the FPS, 3D API type, GPU Activity, and related information are overlayed on top of the rendering stream on a corner of the screen.

* CrossFire support

* Support of nearly 20 languages

* Support for plugins created for ATI Tray Tools

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_Tray_Tools

Edited by langgis08