R3fl3x

ArmA2 / OA (low) performance issues

hey everyone!

ok now before i start..its very late here(2:20am..and i got work at 5:am..so i shouldnt be up right now but..) im having many problems with my $3000 dell gaming rig, also just too let everyone know, i know nothing about computers\specs and all that stuff!

first off for testing im only runing OA, and tho takistan works good with avarge settings, zargabad(or as i like to call it shitabad) is pretty much un-playable! i just want to know whats up wth my specs,a nd how i can fix it..so zargabad runs great(altho i knwo its known to be a fps hog)! but still with the money i put into my rig and all it shouldnt be..right?

now..i would like to post more info but i dont know much so i dont know what to post..but at the bottem is my specs..that xfire auto-loaded into my page lol! btw dont know if this means anything or can help but when using FRAPS..the numbers(fps count) are in dark RED numbers? and the bench mark thing on avarge is any where from 7-10(on zargabad) and i did the bench mark thing like 4-5 times..

now things i notce wrong in the city is the textures: they always are messed up and dont currect them selfs till im standing still very close by after a few long secounds, also the buildings have bad lods(i guess thats what they are called) as lets say out of 10 buildings on a street..like 3-5 are a complete box..and about 2-3 are kin of blocky,and the rest go throw the texture problems(as said above)! also i must point out that when playing as a soldier(or even in a vehicle)..it looks like he moves as if he's doing that robot dance lol! and to play it at all, most settings are low and the view distance is around 900-1500(no maintains visable exacpt the ones that arnt real?)..and it dont look right as that map is kinda small to begin with(IMHO)!

my specs(auto-uploaded by xfire):

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Hard Drive: 984 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

Monitor:

Sound Card: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers/Headphones:

Keyboard: USB Root Hub

Mouse: USB Root Hub

Mouse Surface:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)

Motherboard:

Computer Case:

any help please? also is there any other info i should include?

p.s. sorry to admins and all if i posted in the wrong section\thread! i earched but even if i found somthing good..i wouldnt know it lol!

$3000? M8, they ripped you off!

Your gpu is the bottleneck, upgrade your system with a better one (if possible in the dell hell).

Hello guys,

I have a real problem with the fps in Arma2 OA.

I tryed 2 search online for fixing my problem but i couldnt find anything that helped me. When playing im only getting a max of 11 FPS ! and some micro lag every 4 to 7 sec. i tried a few settings in videosetting but it didnt helped.

my specs are

Intel Core 2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13 GHz

2.13 GHz, 3,00 GB of RAM

ATI Radeon HD5670 1 GB GDDR5

Plz help me

Thank you

i have the same cpu as u do and almost the same setting except i have a gtx260 and 4gb of ram, i get about 30 fps playing OA my game settings are all normal except for texture and shadow are on high , screen res is 1650x1024 , well b4 i used to have the same problem as u did till some of the guys told me to overclock my cpu which wasnt only bottlenek for the VGA card but also ARMA is not like any other game that requires only lil effort from the cpu arma needs all the juice that u can squeeze out of ur cpu .

my CPU now is overclocked to 3.0 GHz and ARMA OA is working like a charm.

another thing u should also make sure is to defrag ur game folder if u havn't.

$3000? M8, they ripped you off!

Your gpu is the bottleneck, upgrade your system with a better one (if possible in the dell hell).

thanks for the advice bud, one question tho what is "gpu"? and how much would this cost me? again sorry im computer ignorant lol!

GPU Graphics Processing Unit (Short way to say Graphics Card)

Extra info:

CPU is Computer Processing Unit

Sorry to say this soldier2390 but if its not too late you should consider returning you system as it is quite overpriced at $3000

Edited by EDcase

GPU Graphics Processing Unit (Short way to say Graphics Card)

Extra info:

CPU is Computer Processing Unit

Sorry to say this soldier2390 but if its not too late you should consider returning you system as it is quite overpriced at $3000

lol yeah your definitly right..but iv had it since x-mas so thats probly no good! but at the same time shouldnt it be a easy fix..just simply buy a new GFX card???? i mean from what i heard graphics cards can be replaced in desk-tops just not lab-tops right? and mines a dest-top so i should be good to go if i buy a better card?

lol yeah your definitly right..but iv had it since x-mas so thats probly no good! but at the same time shouldnt it be a easy fix..just simply buy a new GFX card???? i mean from what i heard graphics cards can be replaced in desk-tops just not lab-tops right? and mines a dest-top so i should be good to go if i buy a better card?

Yeah, get a new card, something like a 5850+ or a GTX 280+.

And consider overclocking your CPU, though with a Dell I'm not sure how easy that would be (especially on stock cooling).

Yeah, get a new card, something like a 5850+ or a GTX 280+.

And consider overclocking your CPU, though with a Dell I'm not sure how easy that would be (especially on stock cooling).

thanks bud, questions tho? how much do you think it would cost me and which is the best out there?

I'm having some really bad performance issues with ArmA 2 OA. I don't think I should be having these with my current system.

My system specs

Core i7 930

ATi 5870 1GB

6GB DDR3

Windows 7 64 bit

It runs just as bad as it did on my old PC. What can I do to make it playable?

What can I do to make Arma use more of my GPU instead of my CPU? My CPU is a weak Pentium D 3.20Ghz and my GPU is Nvidia 8800 GT, which is better than my CPU. Will giving my GPU more stuff to handle help my low FPS (15-25 FPS on low-normal)?

What commands could I also use? I have disabled VSync but that's it.

What can I do to make Arma use more of my GPU instead of my CPU? My CPU is a weak Pentium D 3.20Ghz and my GPU is Nvidia 8800 GT, which is better than my CPU. Will giving my GPU more stuff to handle help my low FPS (15-25 FPS on low-normal)?

What commands could I also use? I have disabled VSync but that's it.

Put shadows on high, thats about it. ;)

I see, well what can I do? Isn't there a launcher command or something which will make my CPU run a bit better?

No. I used to run the game quite okish on a AMD x2 4200+ @2,5ghz by optimizing the rest of my PC. Defragging the game to the outer rings on my HD with ultimatedefrag, booting as few programs as possible using start->run->msconfig, no anti-virus, stuff like that.

Though my 4200+ is still quite a bit faster then your CPU.

In the end i just upgraded though, and i have to say that is was worth it. :p

Hey guys.

I gambled the other day by buying ARMA 2 with my computer which barely hits the minimum specs.

Core2duo P8600 2.4 GHZ processor,

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Geforce 9600M GT video card.

well...my gamble failed. SP is barely playable, and I can only imagine how MP will be. I've tried most of the tweaks I can find to no avail.

a) Are the beta patches significantly better?

b) Any suggestions as to what kind of settings I should use for optimal performance?

Thanks.

Hello everyone

I move my discussion here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103552

I reinstalled Arma2 unpatched,an the game run 35-55 fps.

Instal patch 1.05 and 1.07,the frame rate blocked 15-25 fps:banghead:

if I look at the sky do not change the fps.

I tried to save the cfg of the first installation,and not resolved.

It can play online without the patch? How?

My pc:

Phenom II 965 3,4

2GB ddr3 1333

Sapphire 4890 1GB

Seagate Barracuda 16MB 7200

Windows 7 32bit

Thanks all.

Edited by Raggi77

I have Q6600 @3.0 ghz, and 260 GTX Gigabyte OC.

I got a uber tweaked windows 7 which is now really barebones, and has barely services or visual blings enabled. I have a 10.000 RPM hard drive with Ultimate Defrag 2008 putting ArmA 2 on the edge of my disk for uber performance loading speed. (this really makes difference trust me)

Is there a solution for the crappy vegetation? When looking at trees and stuff my FPS drops to 10-25. Usually it is around 30-50 which is pretty good, since I play on high settings.

Or zooming in with a scope also makes your FPS drop... Of course there is the PROPER VEGETATION LOW VISUALS, dead3yez fps helper. But I don't want to make my game look like crap.

I want nice eye-killing texture detail, without all those unneeded FX. I don't need glass or metal reflection!

Now my question is if there is a solution for myself being so difficult :yay:

I have Q6600 @3.0 ghz, and 260 GTX Gigabyte OC.

(...)

Now my question is if there is a solution for myself being so difficult :yay:

Yes. Buy a faster GPU (and/or CPU) - your 260 is not cutting it to deliver decent minimum frame rates if you want to keep your high settings. :)

Edited by qwertz

Hey guys.

I gambled the other day by buying ARMA 2 with my computer which barely hits the minimum specs.

Core2duo P8600 2.4 GHZ processor,

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Geforce 9600M GT video card.

well...my gamble failed. SP is barely playable, and I can only imagine how MP will be. I've tried most of the tweaks I can find to no avail.

a) Are the beta patches significantly better?

b) Any suggestions as to what kind of settings I should use for optimal performance?

Thanks.

1. Are you using ArmA2 or OA? Or both?

2. What in-game settings are you using?

3. With your rig you should be able to play on medium settings I would think. The SP campaign is always going to be slower than anything else due to the number of scripts/AI running, but you should be able to get it playable.

I would suggest overclocking your CPU if you can, and upgrading your video card.

1. OA

2. I've tried pretty much everything I can think of and it barely makes a difference

3. Firstly, this is a laptop. 9600M GT is the mobile version of the 9600GT and is actually a fair bit weaker...also means I can't really upgrade much.

Overclocking is something to consider, though I needed to get an external fan to get the thing to run at an acceptable temperature -without- overclocking, so I probably wouldn't be able to do too much in that regard.

Ohh...a laptop. I'm afraid you're not going to have too much luck then, since yes, the 9600M is quite a bit weaker than a desktop 9600 GT, which in itself is a fairly dated card.

Overclocking probably won't be an option on a laptop, either, since they already get pretty hot and you can't really add a better cooling solution.

I'm also using a gtx260 and trees kill my FPS. Arma2 ran great; but BIS updated/enhanced all of the textures for OA so Takistan runs ~8-10FPS slower than Chernarus. The 260 is showing it's age with new games and it's time to upgrade

@ Raggi77: U r saying that unpatched ArmA runs better than 1.07?

man, u gotta check ur rig, there must b something terribly wrong with it.